PDA

View Full Version : Ashaway Monogut 17 Vs Luxilon Alu Power 16L

artworks
10-19-2004, 03:03 AM
I have already strung and tried both strings on my Dunlop 300G @ 57lbs.

The Alu Power is good but I developed pain on my elbow after only using it for 18 hours. To reduce the impact on my arm, I have it hybrid with Prince synthetic duraflex 17 at the crosses which tame the effect on my elbow. However, for a heavy topspin player like me, the PSD 17 at the crosses does not last long.

On the other hand, the following are my observations on the Ashaway Monogut 17. I strung on both mains and crosses.

1. The string does not move like Alu Power.
2, Generates excellent spin like Alu Power
3. Pockets the ball like natural gut.
4. Reasonable power.
5. Durable than Prince Synthetic Duraflex 17.
6. It plays like Alu Power 16L minus the arm/wrist effect.
7. Unbeatable price @ US$ 3.99.

Did Anyone have already used both? Let us know your comparison. I also ordered Babolat Pro Hurricane and would like to know this string before I will settle down with one of them. But right now, I think Ashaway Monogut beats Luxilon Alu Power 16L.

Xevoius
10-19-2004, 06:50 AM
I think you posted twice by accident so you should remove one of them.

moosryan
10-19-2004, 04:19 PM
how does ashen monoway compare to gosen og sheep micro?

finchy
10-19-2004, 05:37 PM
i really dont like monogut now. after a few hours, it looses alot of tension fast. it wont feel the same next week.

i strung my surge at 62 lbs and i had wrist pain for a little while.

10-20-2004, 04:49 AM
I had a full set of 16L strnug up in my Slaz. X1 @ 52lbs (min.suggested frame tension is 55) and for the first 3/4 hours it felt lousy (stiff...board-like...no feel....no 'pocketing') but I now have about 10 hrs on the strings and like it overall. It has softened-up, lost some tension and has failry good playability. No "feel" really compared to good synthetics, but it's OK. It is softer than LUX BB Alu and plays as good for way less $$$. IMO though strings like this really are better in a hybrid job. I also agree with many posters who say that these strings play better when big cuts are taken at the ball.

finchy
10-20-2004, 12:16 PM
hmmm. i dont know what happened in my case. my slices were fine before, but after i switched to an all monogut job (after about a week) all of my slices were popping up. the last day i played (last friday) even, my slices have been popping up til then.

counterpunch
10-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Finchy is right, it loses tension very fast. It feels great, but after about 10 hours it loses all control and becomes springy.

finchy
10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
way more than springy counterpunch. i even strung it at 62 to help make the tension loss not as noticeable, but appearantly that wont help.

IMO, i'd go with alu power for better tension holding.

artworks
10-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Finchy is right, it loses tension very fast. It feels great, but after about 10 hours it loses all control and becomes springy.

What about the Alu Power 16L. Did it hold tension for a longer period than monogut 17?

counterpunch
10-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Certainly. it may lose some tension like all strings do, but monogut quickly loses huge amounts that take away all playability. It moves around a lot too, it doesn't lock into place and stay there like Alu.

djones
10-21-2004, 07:38 AM
How about the sound?
Does the Monogut sound the same as Big Banger Alu Power?

counterpunch
10-21-2004, 08:31 AM
No, it doesn't sound even close, not that it really makes a difference.

tarheelbornjohn
10-21-2004, 12:54 PM
I have used both and Monogut is no ALU. The first time I used it I did not play with it for a week after stringing and it was absolutely terrible. Thought I would give it another chance since I bought 5 sets of it anyway. Strung it and went straight out to play next time. Felt kind of like ALU for warm-ups but in the first set had already lost too much tension and had lost all control. I lost 5 straight games before I picked up another stick with ALU that had 9 or 10 sets on it that had been strung at same tension as the Monogut. Even with age, the ALU was crisper and still had great control. Won 7 straight games with it and the next set 6-2. Monogut sure would not pass any blind test with ALU. No good if you are looking for something comparable to ALU in more ways than looks unless you are actually looking for springy strings. I know some are and they might like them. I gave them to another tennis player that I like to beat hoping he will try them so I can crush him some more. My time stringing and time on the court is way too valuable for me to try to save 10 bucks on strings.