PDA

View Full Version : Most effective vibration dampener?

K-LEG
08-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Well I'm just wondering so I can stop buying random vibration dampeners...

Which is most effective of getting rid of that noise??

IanRichardson
08-05-2007, 10:36 PM
prince nxg silencer worked well for me

TheShaun
08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
you just posted a thread saying you love the noise. it's not even half way down the page. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=148353

the best dampener is a rubber band. if you can't decide whether you want a dampener or not it doesn't matter because rubber bands only cost $1 for about a hundred of them. this link will tell you everything you need to know about rubber band dampeners.
http://home.pacbell.net/gmlasam/rubberband.html

K-LEG
08-05-2007, 11:10 PM
lol i just wanna know which is most effective so if i switcch back. i know rubber bands are crap because I've used them and tried every knot possible. I want to try the O shaped ones that sampras used.

LazyAzN
08-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Basically any shock dampener that fits in between the two main strings should be able to get rid of most of the ping with barely or no power loss (since the strings vibrate less). If you wanted a full dampen that does contribute to a loss of power, you can always try the shockbuster II's. Just be prepared for when they start to leak (unless you are very lucky that yours doesn't). As for me, I prefer a small loss of power, so I use Wilson nTraps... You can also try the Head Smartsorb too.

Any worm that clips on will have a very little chance of falling off. Any dampener in between two strings can fall of either during a backhand or a forehand, and they contribute to little or some power loss. Or the dampeners that take more than two strings can only fall off if hit during a backhand.

But of course, as people most prefer here on the forums, are the rubber bands due to their price and dampening.

lethalfang
08-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Prince silencer is extremely effective. NOT the NXG silencer, just silencer.
I've also tried rubber band, and it isn't half as effective as a good dampener.

tennisboi
08-06-2007, 01:57 AM
rubber band. lol. but the black sampras o is good too

lakis92
08-06-2007, 05:21 AM
I didn't know about the power loss. What you think could give me perfect power and vanish that awful sound?

TheShaun
08-06-2007, 10:08 AM
i really doubt there is any power loss.

TripleB
08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Rubber band...gets rid of the noise but allows you to feel the ball on the strings.

TripleB

ChocolatePie
08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Gamma worm.

LazyAzN
08-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Try a shockbuster II, and then try without it, there is a difference, due to a lot of the vibration getting dampened.

federer envies me
08-06-2007, 03:34 PM
know rubber bands are crap because I've used them and tried every knot possible.

I also hate rubber bands. I cant even feel a difference w/ or w/o them

TheShaun
08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Try a shockbuster II, and then try without it, there is a difference, due to a lot of the vibration getting dampened.

as far as i know dampeners just dampen the vibrations that make the ping sound.

if i'm wrong can someone please explain the science behind dampeners....

1. how does a little peice of rubber on your string bed take away power?
2. how does vibration equal power?

tbini87
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
prince nxg silencer worked well for me

same here. it has never fallen off and does its job well.

thundaga
08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
rubber bands get rid of the noise as good as any vibration dampener out there.

JW10S
08-06-2007, 07:08 PM

2. how does vibration equal power?To answer your first question: it doesn't. To answer your second question: it doesn't.

gamerx52986
08-06-2007, 07:56 PM
I personally rotate between the Babolat Custom Damp and Wilson Yin/Yang from the bucket o'fun set. Both feel about the same to me and have yet to pop out during play. I tried one of the black Sampras O dampeners and that thing was just too stiff. Seemed to work decently enough but I just didn't care for it.

TheShaun
08-06-2007, 08:40 PM
deleted post

TheShaun
08-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I didn't know about the power loss. What you think could give me perfect power and vanish that awful sound?

2. how does vibration equal power?

To answer your first question: it doesn't. To answer your second question: it doesn't.

that's what i thought.

10nisDude~
08-06-2007, 08:48 PM
i like rubber bands use them works like anythings else...or used the custom damp from babolat...

LazyAzN
08-06-2007, 09:10 PM
that's what i thought.

Well here's what I think.

If lower tensions cause the ball to sit on the strings longer, and thus if you think in terms of waves, a lower tension is a longer frequency and higher amplitude than that of a high tension. Thus on recoil, the ball should have more energy released on impact with a lower tension. Now if a dampener was stuck in between two or more strings, depending on its material, it could dampen that amplitude since the vibration is being dampened.

Or it could be a whole mental thing since I've tried w/o a dampener, with a head logo dampener, a wilson ntrap, a shockbuster I, a dunlop stock dampener, and a shockbuseter II, and I've noticed differences.

carac
08-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Well I'm just wondering so I can stop buying random vibration dampeners...

Which is most effective of getting rid of that noise??

The most effective that I have EVER seen might not be 100% according to ATP rules - I am using 4 small disks of natural rubber placed at the crossing of the 4 central mains with the lowest cross - inserted just like stringsavers but the disks are about 1 cm in diameter and 2-4 mm thick.
It is incredibly effective (since it makes very hard contact with the strings) but is also very hard to install.