PDA

View Full Version : bowbrand champ nat gut 16

reuben12
10-19-2004, 10:39 AM
I stringed my new volkl quantum V1 with bowbrand natural gut 16 @55 lbs...and i seem to have no power on my groundstrokes...
I have been playing only for 2 months...

I had earlier demoed volkl quantum V1 with wilson nxt sensation @57 lbs...

The demo racquet was 4 3/8 grip size while my new one is 4 5/8.

I played great with the demo racquet but my new racquet doesnt feel right...

Would it be the change in grip sizes..(4 5/8 is the right one for me) or whether natural gut strings are not powerful compared to wilson nxt?

I have a good swing on my groundstrokes...

alan-n
10-20-2004, 12:41 AM
It is possible that the grip size could affect how much forearm prognation you have on your ground strokes, but I doubt it.

My experience with Bow Brand 16 is that lb for lb slightly more powerful than NXT-17. This was when I strung my main racquet with Natural gut and backup with NXT, but not enough to for me to swing faster or harder..... but the more I played, NXT loss tension a lot faster and that accounted for the power increase with NXT racquet compared to one strung with natural gut.

After the initial drastic tension loss (3 hours playing for me). Bow Brand gut has held up tension well.... and its the string I now use hybrid with poly crosses for consistency, especially in changing temp conditions for a recreational player, me.

reuben12
10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
There was a thick rubber band on the top of the grip (think to protect the grip)..i removed it and the racquet feels comfy in my hand.....
my friends are pretty amused abt it...

Can such a small thing make a difference or is it just my imagination....???

alan-n
10-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Tennis is a mental game. If removing it makes it more confortable for you then yes, you will hit better shots.

mctennis
11-03-2004, 02:44 PM
I'll take that thick rubber band thing at the top of the grip if you'd like to get rid of it. I also use Bow gut strings and think they feel great. I string them tighter and get great feel from them. I use a Volkl C10 Pro Tour and LOVE gut in the racquets. Hope this helps. Get in touch with meif you want to get rid of those rubber band things.