PDA

View Full Version : Building up grip without losing bevels

keithchircop
08-07-2007, 12:53 AM
My grip size should be 4 3/4, which means I have to get racquets in 4 5/8 and build up.

From what I've been reading, I think the best way of building up a grip without losing the bevels is to use a Volkl leather grip (which I believe is the thickest leather one available) and a 1mm thick overgrip.

By how much would you be increasing the grip size this way?

Would including a heat shrink sleeve or addon tape (http://www.addongrip.com/html/prod_twrap.html) (builds-up grip by 1/8") to the above make me lose the bevels?

xtremerunnerars
08-07-2007, 03:50 AM
I was going to jump in and suggest the leather+ovegrip as well, but it seems like you already know about that.

I can't really comment on the other methods but I know that the leather and overgrip is good.

enwar3
08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
One of the pro shops near me uses cardboard. I'm not sure how they do it, but they say it keeps the bevels nice and sharp.

AmericanTemplar
08-08-2007, 10:59 AM
I had the same question a while back and someone suggested gluing balsa wood to each side of the bevels. I actually ended up using a combination of heat shrink sleeves and masking tape and I didn't like the way that it turned out. Fortunately I was ready to get new racquets anyway.

dacrymn
08-08-2007, 11:59 AM
One of the pro shops near me uses cardboard. I'm not sure how they do it, but they say it keeps the bevels nice and sharp.

uh...that doesn't really make sense.....then again it's marketing.

156MPHserve
08-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I use ruban hockey tape. I just go up and down the handle as if I were doing overgrip until I'm satisfied with the size. It's pretty firm stuff so I don't feel like the bevels are gone like when I use excess overgrips.

mjcn121789
08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I've used an overgrip and now the bevels are gone...o well

GS
08-10-2007, 12:31 AM
When I used to build grips up a half size, yep, I used thin cardboard. The trick is to cut those 8 strips perfectly with a paper cutter, then carefully glue them on the grip. Afterwards, you get a bigger grip with sharp bevels. Thin balsa wood works, too.

ionutzakis
08-10-2007, 04:40 AM
no matter what you do, you will add atleast 7-10 grams to your racquet, that's for sure