PDA

View Full Version : US Open balls are fast, medium or slow?

Ripper
08-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Question on titile.

AgassiFan12
08-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I think they play slow...they definately have a heavy feel to them when you play with them so I would assume that means they play slower too. Although, to be honest I can't tell a difference in speed when I play with them, I can only tell the weight difference.

Craig Sheppard
08-07-2007, 07:56 AM
To me the felt wears fast, and because of it they feel like playing with little rocks... they're light, skid a lot, and are fast.

You want a slow, heavy ball? Try the Dunlop Abzorbers or Grand Prix's.

Pr0DiGy
08-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Taking a guess here, not really sure.

As far as I know, the balls used on different surfaces have certain regulations. Balls used on clay must be faster than balls used on hard courts, which must be faster than balls used on grass courts. Since the U.S. Open are relatively fast, I'd say the balls are medium slightly leaning on the slower side.

Fedace
08-07-2007, 08:08 AM
I think they play slow...they definately have a heavy feel to them when you play with them so I would assume that means they play slower too. Although, to be honest I can't tell a difference in speed when I play with them, I can only tell the weight difference.

I think You are right. It is slower than the regular old heavy duty wilson balls. but that Wilson Australian balls are even slower and harder. ;)

Ripper
08-07-2007, 03:37 PM
To me the felt wears fast, and because of it they feel like playing with little rocks... they're light, skid a lot, and are fast.

You want a slow, heavy ball? Try the Dunlop Abzorbers or Grand Prix's.

I know the Grand Prix balls are slow, but no, I'm not looking for anything really, just asking. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Edit: The reason I asked is because, this morning, I played this guy who's suposedly, at least, a level higher than me. Apparently, I played very well, since I, almost, beat him. He said it was because of the very fast balls I bought with me (US Opens). He said they were helping me. Hummm, in any case, if they're fast, they would be fast for both of us, not just for me. Anyway, I always thought of the US Opens as medium fast balls. There's, even, an article on a recent Tennis Magazine that describes them like that. Thanks for your replies.

Serve em Up
08-08-2007, 04:36 AM
Sounds to me like you played well and he thought he should have tagged you worse than he did. He should have said "You played really well" and left it at that.

PS: I think the US Open ball plays more similalrly to "Championship" balls than to Grand Prix's. Grand Prix to me are noticeably heavier and slower than most other balls. They should be judged as the exception not the norm.

Ripper
08-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Sounds to me like you played well and he thought he should have tagged you worse than he did. He should have said "You played really well" and left it at that.

PS: I think the US Open ball plays more similalrly to "Championship" balls than to Grand Prix's. Grand Prix to me are noticeably heavier and slower than most other balls. They should be judged as the exception not the norm.

Well, guess what? Today, I beat him. Yes, same balls, lol. I'm thinking, if US Opens are really among the faster balls (not convinced yet) and if fast balls really help me, I should get those new Gamma balls ;)

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
If you are playing with fast balls, why would they benefit you and not him. Sounds like a sore loser. By the way, I find the Regular Duty faster than the Extra Duty (I like them better, too).

Wits-Z
08-14-2007, 07:30 AM
I agree with the comments about your opponent.. sour grapes if you ask me. I play a neighbor who claims to have played in high school and college.. He's very out of shape now, but talks a big game, and when I get stuck playing with him in doubles, he likes to give all sorts of advice and talk about common sense strategy.. Work him over pretty good in general, and the excuses and critiques about my game flow out. It really doesn't matter because it's clear the guy is very competitive and wants to prop his ego, but why some people can't just take the experience, improve from it and keep their clams shut, I'll never understand. If I get my rear handed to me, I'll critique why and try to improve on those areas. Right now, just getting back into the game, my major problem is footwork and getting my body into position quickly.. I'm sure as heck not going to blame it on the balls.. (though with a racket which hasn't been restrung since 1998, I've got a little excuse). My new rackets should show up tomorrow, though, so then it's time to take care of business. :-D