PDA

View Full Version : My stringjob from hell...

IanRichardson
08-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Around noon today i went to string my prince 03 tour midsize, i had never strung this racquet before as it is new and i had previously only strung my midplus racquets. I got the pattern and what not and started stringing. I started my mains and then after tensioning about 2 my clam flys off. So i start over, same result. I then realize i should have cleaned them yesterday as i strung four racquets without a cleaning or anything, and had strung 4 last week without a cleaning. So i clean my clamps and walk away for a while. Around midnight tonight i went back to my machine to do the job. I did all my mains and unbenounced to me skipped the wrong hole (dont ask). So i figured this out AFTER i had done all of the crosses until i noticed the mistake (this racquet is 16x20... so it took about 17 crosses to figure that out). So i cut out all the crosses and decdided to try and reuse the mains (i had left the entire tag on my knots just in case anything went wrong, this being my frist time on this frame). After getting the mains all squared away i started the crosses again, and got them done in about 20 minutes. After everything was tied off i was relieved as that was not a fun stringjob. I brought my racquet into my living room and sat it up against the wall and began browsing the forums here. While reading a thread i heard that pop that anyone who plays tennis seriously knows... one of the mains snapped. I guess it serves me right for not starting competely over. Luckily i just strung up some ashway tournament nylon or whatever that is less than $2.00 a set. Had it been an expensive string i would have cried. Oh well, i guess i'll give it another shot tommorow. I can definately say after this ordeal i know all the ends and outs of the racquet lol.

Fedfan4life
08-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Goodluck dude. You just need to "tune in" when your stringing a racquet and not get yourself bothered with anything also take your time.

IanRichardson
08-08-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah truthfully i just kinda forgot i wasnt doing the midplus and strung it the same way as that, i probably got overconfident since i can string the midplus in like 30 minutes. This stringjob was just doomed from the start.

xtremerunnerars
08-09-2007, 03:19 AM
Well, it may have been the string. People have reported ashaway (i think it was dynamite) breaking on them really easily during stringing and/or playing.

Sorry to hear about it though!

jonolau
08-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Using diamond coated clamps really helps. I can use my clamps for about 200 stringings before the strings start to slip ... and this is stringing polys which are notorious for leaving slippery residue.

IanRichardson
08-09-2007, 10:27 AM
where can i get one of those and how much do they cost?

dunloplayah
08-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I string with Ashaway Dynamite. I had a bad batch of a few sets but the new ones are good. They take a little more special care due to their construction, a little double pull helps and making sure your clamps aren't too tight. haven't had a problem with them since.

I'm not sure if my prince neos 1000 has diamond coated or not but i never really clean them much. maybe a little alcohol once a year.

Sucks when you miss a skip or mis thread...i feel your pain!

Good luck< I've heard those O3 prince racquets are fairly particular about how they are laced up.