PDA

View Full Version : Hockey tape???

njjohan
08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Has anyone ever tried using hockey tape as an overgrip, and if so, what is your take on it?

xtremerunnerars
08-10-2007, 09:55 AM
I doubt it would be good. Electrical tape is a terrible idea as well.

federer envies me
08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
no way. It is not soft and might hurt your hand

aznobct
08-10-2007, 11:02 AM
you should give it a try only if you don't have any important matches coming up. my friend uses it and he loves it...but when i tried it it shredded up my hand.

tbini87
08-10-2007, 11:08 AM
i used it once and it sucked. there is no grip or tack, and no cushion either. would not recommend it at all. it gets dirty and slick quickly as well.

Loco4Tennis
08-10-2007, 12:41 PM
i can see it being ok for bumper guard tape,
not so much for grip though, it does not seem thick enough to take on the hand sweat
also it would be too heavy i think to try to build up the grip with this tape as well

Loco4Tennis
08-10-2007, 12:49 PM

i use the electrical tape to complete the overgrip install, the tape supplied with the over grips is never long enough,
the electrical tape is cheap, easy to carry in the bag, very elastic, sweat resistant and light (most important of all)

rockthebox
08-10-2007, 01:46 PM
No!!!!
Don't Use Hockey Tape, ever

Bodacious DVT
08-10-2007, 02:00 PM

i use electrical tape when i run out of the overgrip sticker things. works better IMO, just dont keep the reel in your bag- it sorta melts onto everything else.

Loco4Tennis
08-11-2007, 06:57 PM
i use electrical tape when i run out of the overgrip sticker things. works better IMO, just dont keep the reel in your bag- it sorta melts onto everything else.

good point about the tape melting
will keep that in mind,
i have been putting loose things in my bag into the empty call cans, works good to keep things dry and in order, i will provably throw the tape in one of those as well

asknowbuylater
08-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Use the clear version. I added lead to my grip and I needed something to keep it intact. I can serve properly with it since I hands barely sweat much.

I use black or white hockey tape for the head.

xtremerunnerars
08-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I use double sided tape for overgrip starting/finishing whenever finishing tape isn't available or won't work. I trim tournagrips so that the end (starting, actually) is like a wilson pro and I think double sided looks much cleaner and professional.

tbini87
08-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I use double sided tape for overgrip starting/finishing whenever finishing tape isn't available or won't work. I trim tournagrips so that the end (starting, actually) is like a wilson pro and I think double sided looks much cleaner and professional.

the overgrip doesn't unravel on you? never thought about that... but i wouldn't want to risk it. seems like taping around the grip to finish it is the safest. i also trim the ends of tournagrip, and use both sides of it.

jonline
08-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Seems like hockey tape would be incredibly harsh and non-absorbent.

nyc
08-12-2007, 05:22 AM
I use duct tape for overgrip, and if I run out, I also use silver duct tape for strings. Just kind of twist it into a long string. Works great and is cheap. The glue gives me insane spin and they don't move at all.

;)