PDA

View Full Version : The silliest game: baseball

topspin
10-20-2004, 09:45 PM
I got to admit that I'm not a big fan of this game, but playoff time, I usually watch a few innings. And doing so tonight while watching game 7 of the yanks and sox, I realized how disgusting this game really is. Practically every frame of coverage involves some sort of chewing and spitting by players on the field, players on the bench, and yes, even the umpires. And to top it all off, they are all grown men wearing pyjama like uniforms. I know the game is heavy on tradition, but anyone who looks at it objectively has to realize that it's really a very silly and boring game for the most part.

chad shaver
10-20-2004, 10:49 PM
You are entitled to your opinion.

Redferrari350
10-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Topspin, you must be a ****.

chad shaver
10-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Nah, just mad cuz the Expos left. Talk about a shame....

silent bob
10-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Have to agree with topspin on this one. If the game can be played with a big wad of tobacco in one's mouth, it's not a real sport.

Sure, i know I will never throw that well and I could never get a bat on the ball against one of those pitchers . . . but I cannot drive a golf ball 300m either - that doesn't make golf a real sport. I cannot execute a triple-axel, but that doesn't make figure skating a real sport either. Truth be told, there are a helluva lot fewer fat, drugged-up old men in the figure skating rinks than there are in the baseball playoffs.

And the announcers - give me a break! - if a guy manages to sprint around the bases without falling down they make comparisons to Michael Jordan in terms of athleticism. It's such a joke!

Bottom line: Be honest, just because its played by red-necks and their urban equivalents who could kick your ***** in a bar-room brawl doesn't make it a real sport.

perfmode
10-21-2004, 03:50 AM
Have to agree with topspin on this one. If the game can be played with a big wad of tobacco in one's mouth, it's not a real sport.

Sure, i know I will never throw that well and I could never get a bat on the ball against one of those pitchers . . . but I cannot drive a golf ball 300m either - that doesn't make golf a real sport. I cannot execute a triple-axel, but that doesn't make figure skating a real sport either. Truth be told, there are a helluva lot fewer fat, drugged-up old men in the figure skating rinks than there are in the baseball playoffs.

And the announcers - give me a break! - if a guy manages to sprint around the bases without falling down they make comparisons to Michael Jordan in terms of athleticism. It's such a joke!

Bottom line: Be honest, just because its played by red-necks and their urban equivalents who could kick your ***** in a bar-room brawl doesn't make it a real sport.

I have to agree with Bob and Spin. Baseball is really a joke of a sport. How often does your heartrate get elevated when you're playing baseball?

chad shaver
10-21-2004, 06:09 AM
You are entitled to your opinion. Just change the channel.

drakulie
10-21-2004, 06:31 AM
hardest thing to do in all of sports is hit a baseball and get on base. A player who is successfull 25 % of the time could make a great living playing baseball. That is how hard it is. Imagine if a professional tennis player only got his first serve in 25 % of the time?

ChrisNC
10-21-2004, 06:32 AM
While baseball is a very difficult sport to be good at, and I enjoyed playing when I was little, it is completely boring to watch. I'd actually sooner watch golf. *shrug*

NOTE: That's not to say I like Golf, or would actually watch it.

Kevin T
10-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Baseball is the bomb, pure and simple. Nothing better on a late summer evening. It has been scientifically proven that hitting a baseball coming at you in excess of 90mph is the toughest skill in sports. Just think what's going through the batter's mind: curveball? screwball? fastball? slider? change-up? knuckle? split-finger? Will it crack me in the head and kill me? Go to your local batting cage and get into the 80mph booth. Then add 15mph to that speed with the possibility of 5 or so different pitches coming at you and you'll get the idea. Takes a big sack to stand in there against a high hard one. Position players are excellent athletes when you judge them in terms of speed/agility/reflexes/hand-eye coordination/strength/power. Pitchers can be fat and out of shape but every watch the WTA? That whole tour is full of fat chicks. Where is their cardiovascular fitness? And remember that some of the games' great players were multi-sport talents (Deion Sanders-decent baseball player but a great football player, Bo Jackson, Dave Winfield, Tony Gwynn-Gwynn had pro-level talent in bball and basketball, Winfield could have played those two plus pro football). Maybe some tennis pros could have been soccer players but that's about it.

VashTheStampede
10-21-2004, 09:26 AM
I don't like watching baseball either. Half of the time, all you see are the players sitting on a bench chewing gum and spitting. Then, finally you see the pitcher actually throw the ball! What happens, BALL!!!! The whole process starts all over again.

drakulie
10-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Kevin, well said.

perfmode
10-21-2004, 09:55 AM
hardest thing to do in all of sports is hit a baseball and get on base. A player who is successfull 25 % of the time could make a great living playing baseball. That is how hard it is. Imagine if a professional tennis player only got his first serve in 25 % of the time?

A more realistic comparison is breaking serve 25% of the time, which is what pro's do.

Brettolius
10-21-2004, 10:30 AM
so...i am a baseball fan,and if you compare it to golf in terms of whether or not its a sport as opposed to a game....well you're crazy. golf is a game, like bowling. try and dig up a couple relatively high level baseball players and toss it around. or try to bat against them. trust me, your heart rate will be way up and your nutsack will be about the size of a ping pong ball. you have to react to what someone else is doing,as opposed to hitting a still ball on the ground. you telling me playing the field is not athletic? just like tennis, higher level b-ball is alot harder than it looks. kevin t, i'm shocked gwynn was a good basketball player. dude was short and fat.

Camilio Pascual
10-21-2004, 11:06 AM
I am a total dyed-in-the-wool baseball fan. As a pitcher, catcher, baserunner, or the batter, the complexities of what is going on and what you have to think about are astounding. You need a virtual brain trust on the bench to help you, too. SI has described it as the most complicated team sport and I agree.
I am amused by the woeful ignorance of baseball by most, not all, of the baseball detractors here. That's okay. I know little and care less about soccer and hockey. That doesn't make them useless or silly activities to those who are knowledgeable about them, derive enjoyment from watching them, or are skilled at playing them. Soccer is a comparatively simple sport that uses minimal equipment, but requires good endurance. That makes it an excellent internatonal sport.

Cruzer
10-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Topspin is just ticked off not only because the Expos packed up and left town escaping the biggest eye sore of a stadium in North America. I wonder if the citizens of Montreal are still paying off this financial disaster from the 1976 Olympics. It only cost about 3000% more than the original budgeted amount. Topspin is also probably down because Le Habs are not playing and will not likely be playing any time soon. It will be an even longer, colder winter in Montreal with no NHL this season.

Claims that baseball is a silly game only come from those that don't understand the complexities and subtleties of the game and appreciate the amount skill required to play at the Major League level.

BiGGieStuFF
10-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Baseball is definitely a skilled sport. Those balls hit and thrown at you are so fast. I couldn't even imagine trying to get in front of a ball coming that fast. A tennis ball perhaps but it's soft. The baseball is like a rock. I bet most people who get a baseball hit at them at over 100mph would be more worried about getitng out of the way much less trying to catch it.

Watching it is definitely deceiving. Wait until you play it. Swinging the bat can really put some strain on your body especially when trying to hit it out of the ballpark. That takes some major strength plus coordination.

Kevin T
10-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Excellent points Brett, Camilio, Cruzer, Biggie. My Pops played AAA bball, so I have a soft spot for the sport. I have been hit by tennis balls going over 120mph, dead in the chest. It hurts for a few seconds, then you are over it. People have been killed by baseball shots to the chest and dome. There is no comparison in the strength it takes to swing a 12 or 13oz racquet versus a 34+oz WOOD bat. I would love to know what the comaparison is in terms of reaction time required for a hitting a 95mph fastball versus a 130mph serve. One thing I know for sure is that a bball player has a bat that's about 3 inches across at the widest point while the tennis player has a 90+sq inch frame. No dogging tennis; I love it more than baseball but those guys have SKILLZZ. No game requires more strategy (NL anyway) and no game has the tradition, IMHO.

khs_tennis
10-21-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm really sorry that people can't enjoy a good game of baseball anymore. Honestly, how the times have changed. People may think it's boring to watch and all that bologna, but truth is, 99% of baseball players are better athletes than any of us with ever dream of. Just because some of them can't run a 4.4 40 means that they're not professional athletes. I challenge anybody to go out and try and hit a 95 mph fastball or a breaking ball that drops a foot and a half right over the plate. And i challenge anybody to run from second to home and try not getting thrown out by a big leaguer, tough thing to do. I'm sorry folks, but baseball is more than a SPORT, it's our national past time.

Camilio Pascual
10-22-2004, 04:38 AM
You know what is as hard to hit as a 95 mph fastball? The 78-82 mph change up coming after it. If there was a 95 mph fastball following the first one, you'd have a good chance of hitting it.

tennismx
10-22-2004, 03:46 PM
lets respect the other sports as they respect ours. not that im saying your wrong in your opinion but i see it from two sides. for one i like tennis-a sport of tradition and prestige. manners and rules. on the other hand i love motocross. yes, the dirty, loud, fast boys on fast bikes sport. when im not keeping up with tennis pros im watching the mx pros, such as bubba and rc. (by the way, post if you do too or if you know who they are). but my point is lets respect other people's interests. they are just as passionate about their sports be it ping pong or baseball as we are about tennis.

topspin
10-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Ok I don't have time to reply to so many of the idiotic comments here, but enough with this B.S. I never said it didn't require skill and all that, I just said it looks silly to see every frame of tv coverage include a grownup chewing and spitting. Any sport or pass time like baseball is made to look silly with such behaviour.

And actually, believe it or not, the hockey lockout doesn't bother me much. The game is not nearly as interesting as it used to be, it's all about business now.

Anyhow, feel free to continue this thread discussing what constitutes a "sport" or not. But this wasn't what the original thread was about.

tennismx
10-23-2004, 06:44 AM
c'mon man. suck it up. take it like a man. our comments are not "idiotic." dont try to put us down to defend yourself. we gave you a chance to give your opinion now listen to ours. :lol:

topspin
10-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Not all the comments were idiotic, but some were. I don't have a problem with listening to opinions. I'm pointing out that the opinions are not relating to the original thread.

I'll reply some more about the game of baseball in general when I have time.

khs_tennis
10-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Chewing and spitting is just part of the game. I was watching a special on Outside the Lines i think on espn, and it talked about how baseball and chew were hand in hand. It explained how one generation of ball players grew up watching their idles chew which caused them to chew and then so on and so on. Point is, chewing is a part of baseball and probably always will be until chewing tobacco is ruled an illegal drug or some drastic measure. Chewing is addictive as most people know and the ball player doesnt care if it's hurting him at the moment, all he cares about is how that dip makes me feel at home and makes him perform his best. I know that sounds weird but Chipper Jones of the atlanta braves gave that exact explanation about what he felt like chewing.

Finally, baseball is a perfectly normal sport. I love all kinds of sports and from different ends of the spectrum, all the way from tennis to football and football to racing. There's nothing silly about baseball. If you ever played it, you would probably think differently.

silent bob
10-24-2004, 07:47 AM
I played it, and I still think it is silly. I can play it all afternoon in the hot sun with a big wad of gum in my mouth and not break a sweat. That's what separates it from "real sports" in my mind. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill or brains.

"America's pastime" - yeah, that about sums it up.

Pastime - n. a way of spending spare time pleasantly, anything done for recreation or diversion, as a hobby.

Of course there are several definitions of "sport" - one of which is "pastime", but I prefer the one that goes like this "activity, especially when competitive, that requires vigorous bodily exertion and carried on according to some traditional set of rules."

In my opinion, baseball falls short of that definition, but maybe I'm just a lot fitter than you.

chad shaver
10-24-2004, 08:21 AM
"I can play it all afternoon in the hot sun with a big wad of gum in my mouth and not break a sweat."

Do you not have sweat glands? :lol:

Deuce
10-25-2004, 01:56 AM
I was going to write essentially what Camilio wrote in his first post - about the complexities, all the options and potentials one must consider before deciding which base to throw to, or whether to go first to third on a single...

What is clear is that most of those who criticize baseball simply don't understand it. They see but one dimension of this three dimensional game. Some even criticize it because they are frustrated that they don't understand it - and so want to portray it as mere insignificant stupidity.

I have a couple of friends (a Czech and a Russian) whose description of baseball as they see it is hilarious. It is similar to some of the descriptions written in this thread - about spitting, standing around, etc. This is because that is what they see - and that is what they see simply because they don't understand how the game works. They don't know the rules, let alone the 'unwritten rules'. They obviously don't understand the strategy. No matter how much I try to explain baseball to my foreign friends, they simply can't understand it. I tell them that 4 year old kids learn the game - surely they can. They simply laugh...

I grew up playing baseball - I hit a baseball long before I hit a tennis ball. I played organized ball from age 5 to age 12. I got back into it at age 22, and played three years in a semi-pro league. About ten years ago, I got drilled in the ribs by a 90 mph fastball. The guy who threw the pitch had once been drafted by the Phillies (perhaps they gave up on him due to his lack of control). The pitch ruptured my spleen slightly. I spent the next two years peeing blood. Also had my collarbone fractured when a runner tried to run through me (I did tag him out).

I've known a few Major League players. Got a Major Leaguer's second baseman's glove sitting right in front of me - I may use it next year - thinking seriously of getting back into it. I love the game of baseball. I despise the business of baseball.

John Kruk, who was not exactly the most physically fit baseball player, was warming up for a game ten years ago or so. Naturally, part of his warm-up ritual involved spitting tobacco onto the field. A woman yelled out to him from the stands "Hey, Kruck - you're disgusting! Look at you - you call yourself an athlete?" Kruk shot back "Lady, I'm no athlete - I'm a ballplayer!"

Whether it qualifies as a sport or not, I could not care less. There is something inexplicably magical about it to those who understand. That's all that matters.

Phil
10-25-2004, 03:38 AM
I'll have to defer to Kevin T, Camilio and (gulp) Deuce on this one. Those who criticize baseball normally pick-up on the shallow and unimportant aspects-as Topspin did. Spitting tobacco? Who tf cares? And you know why these people will NEVER understand the game, other than their permanent closemindedness? Television. The way television shows baseball is criminal. The limitations of the small screen are truely evident once you've seen the game live. 80% of TV coverage is the pitcher and batter-the rest of the coverage is where the ball is hit/thrown-what the REST of the players do on the field is incidental and if you DO get to see that, it's an accident-something caught as the camera pans the field.

Sitting 15-20 rows from the field, between home plate and third base is the ideal vantage point from which to absorb the subtle, and not-so-subtle dynamics of the game. And, anyone who'se actually PLAYED the game at one time or another has even greater insight into what's going on out there. It's a chess match-how fielders position themselves, watching the dance of the shortstop and second baseman as a baserunner leads off second, feignting, juking...It's poetry, man. Don't let some idiot tell you otherwise. I've had the pleasure of taking foreigners to games and explaining, in layman's terms, the goings-on on the field, and it's great to watch their eyes open to the possibilities of the game. Nice to see them GET IT, unlike some people here!

Brettolius
10-25-2004, 05:47 AM
so true phil, so true...

topspin
10-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Yeah right, it makes me laugh to see how those who happen to like the game will claim that anyone that doesn't like it simply doesn't understand the game. In my experience, such people are delusional and unwilling to face reality. And they will usually criticize a real sport like soccer.

In my case, I have been to many baseball games and played a lot of it too. It's got its moments, but it's just too boring to wait around for your turn to bat, or to stand in the outfield inning after inning not getting to make any plays. Even playing a slow game like golf keeps you a lot more busy because you have to prepare your next shot right away. You're never just standing around doing nothing.

The spitting thing is not necessary. The game would add a touchof class if they just cut this useless disgusting habit out of the game. 99.99% of all the baseball spitters don't have anything to spit about because they're just sitting around doing nothing. I can understand if they were working hard at full physical exhaustion like a hockey player and they need to spit, but it's just a silly habit that people develop when they have way too much time on their hands.

Oh and btw, I tuned to the game last night, and within less than 10 seconds, yup, you got it, there was spitting, and it was by a player just standing around.

The best way to describe the difference in perception and reality about the game of baseball is to look at a particular episode of the Simpsons. I'm sure you all remember it, Homer gives up alcohol and goes to watch a baseball game and stay sober this time. You see him watching the "action", you hear the announcer describing what's going on, and then homer just says "I never realized how boring this game really is" :lol:

My dad used to work at Jarry stadium when the Montreal Expos first started their franchise. He didn't know what the game was about, but was curious. After over an hour of watching the "action", he asked a co-worker when the warmup session would end and they would start the game. The co-worker replied that the game had already started for like an hour :lol: A simple experience like that just kind of says it all.

chad shaver
10-25-2004, 09:50 AM
You are entitled to your opinion. You've stated it. You don't have to watch. Thank you. Good-bye.

Redferrari350
10-25-2004, 10:15 AM
My dad used to work at Jarry stadium when the Montreal Expos first started their franchise. He didn't know what the game was about, but was curious. After over an hour of watching the "action", he asked a co-worker when the warmup session would end and they would start the game. The co-worker replied that the game had already started for like an hour :lol: A simple experience like that just kind of says it all.
And you are just like your dad... don't have a clue.

topspin
10-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Chad, if you don't like this thread, you don't have to read it or post. Thank you and goodbye to you too then.

And in case you haven't noticed, this thread has changed from its original intent. You do know how to read now don't you??? And I'm perfectly comfortable in discussing the game of baseball itself and not just the silliness around it.

Redferrari, nice to see you make a yet another dumb idiotic comment (like you've already done in the past). Very mature to try and insult my dad when you've never met the man.

You guys are clown and a complete joke. So in staying with the "joke" theme, here's one you should read by George Carlin:

"Baseball is different from any other "sport", very different. For instance, in most sports you score points or goals; in baseball you score runs. In most sports the ball, or object, is put in play by the offensive team; in baseball the defensive team puts the ball in play, and only the defense is allowed to touch the ball. In fact, in baseball if an offensive player touches the ball intentionally, he's out; sometimes unintentionally, he's out.

Also: in football,basketball, soccer, volleyball, and all sports played with a ball, you score with the ball and in baseball the ball prevents you from scoring.

In most sports the team is run by a coach; in baseball the team is run by a manager. And only in baseball does the manager or coach wear the same clothing the players do. If you'd ever seen John Madden in his Oakland Raiders uniform,you'd know the reason for this custom.

Now, I've mentioned football. Baseball & football are the two most popular spectator sports in this country. And as such, it seems they ought to be able to tell us something about ourselves and our values.

I enjoy comparing baseball and football:

Baseball is a nineteenth-century pastoral game.
Football is a twentieth-century technological struggle.

Baseball is played on a diamond, in a park.The baseball park!
Football is played on a gridiron, in a stadium, sometimes called Soldier Field or War Memorial Stadium.

Baseball begins in the spring, the season of new life.
Football begins in the fall, when everything's dying.

In football you wear a helmet.
In baseball you wear a cap.

Football is concerned with downs - what down is it?
Baseball is concerned with ups - who's up?

In football you receive a penalty.
In baseball you make an error.

In football the specialist comes in to kick.
In baseball the specialist comes in to relieve somebody.

Football has hitting, clipping, spearing, piling on, personal fouls, late hitting and unnecessary roughness.
Baseball has the sacrifice.

Football is played in any kind of weather: rain, snow, sleet, hail, fog...
In baseball, if it rains, we don't go out to play.

Baseball has the seventh inning stretch.
Football has the two minute warning.

Baseball has no time limit: we don't know when it's gonna end - might have extra innings.
Football is rigidly timed, and it will end even if we've got to go to sudden death.

In baseball, during the game, in the stands, there's kind of a picnic feeling; emotions may run high or low, but there's not too much unpleasantness.
In football, during the game in the stands, you can be sure that at least twenty-seven times you're capable of taking the life of a fellow human being.

And finally, the objectives of the two games are completely different:

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! - I hope I'll be safe at home!"

chad shaver
10-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Topspin,

You think I'm a clown? You should see me with my red nose and over-sized shoes....

Good-bye, but thanks for the Carlin...such a wise and funny man.

chad shaver
10-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Topspin, everything stated below is tongue-in-cheek.

Baseball may be silly, disgusting and boring to you, but it's apparently not so much so that you won't write volumes about it.
This begs a question: why are you so adamant about it all? I mean really, you talked about how silly you thought it was, but you turned right around and watched more. Is it like a train wreck for you or something?

I don't find much interesting about hockey, basketball or soccer, so I don't watch. I don't, however, put the sports down to those who do enjoy them. Just my thoughts.

Phil
10-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Chad - I believe Topspin's bitterness towards the game originates from his inability to make the neigborhood pee wee league team. As an uncoordinated and geeky 8-year old, he realized that sports was a quick and easy way to raise his self esteem, receive respect from his fellow pee wees and get a bit of pee wee nookie on the side. But alas, he was summarily CUT from the team-before he even stepped up to the plate. As he departed, followed by the cruel cackling taunts of the more coordinated pee wees, one of the coaches, a man called "Bugs" shot a long stream of Red Man in the direction of our tragic and athletically-challenged young reject. In Topspin's uncoordinated attempt to escape the laser-like stream, he actually stumbled right into it, with the vile liquid landing square on the side of his pencil-like neck, and oozing down onto his freshly pressed yellow Champion-brand sweatshirt, which would never again look freshly anything. From that day forward, the boy's carried the duel aversion to baseball and all forms of expectoration. Hence, about 45% of his posts on this thread focus on SPITTING. He is a scarred individual.

TopSpin - There is nothing WRONG with not being able to understand and appreciate the game. Apparently, for you, it's genetic (You know, dad? Jarry Park?). Many people dislike it, misunderstand it and don't care about it. Fine. But, VOICING your ignorant opinions in a public forum will, of course, expose you to those with more knowledge on the subject. Have fun, Mr. Bullseye.

And...GO CARDS.

topspin
10-25-2004, 10:05 PM
To answer you Chad, I haven't watched a complete single baseball game in years. This is playoff time and the whole NY vs Bos thing caught my curiosity so I decided to tune in, but only when the series reached game 7 and it was in the later 2/3 of the game. And I don't know if the spitting rate was higher that night as opposed to others, but it just made me sick to not be able to see 5 seconds of coverage without some fluid flying out of someone's mouth. The 10 seconds I saw the other night was just to check to see if the spitting was still going on, and yup it was, so I tuned out. You really don't have to worry about me watching baseball in any serious extent, because I haven't and I won't.

I expected to get nasty replies to this thread and so far none relate to my original post. It's all about how skilled you have to be to play baseball and so on. And read carefully, I never said anthing about skill. Curling requires a ton of skill too, and although I enjoy watching some curling, I won't exactly state things about the game that aren't there. Same thing with baseball: I haven't stated anything that isn't true. Players, coaches, umpires DO SPIT like there's no tomorrow.

The replies here haven't addressed the key point to this thread. And these posters will simply tell themselves over and over that what I'm saying stems from a lack of understanding. They cannot accept the fact that someone can find the game boring and silly even if they understand everything about the game itself. So they tell themselves that anyone who criticizes baseball must not understand it.

And I'm not telling anyone here not to enjoy the game if they choose to. I really couldn't care less if they do or not.

Phil, I started to read your post but got boooooored even more so than watching baseball. So sorry but you're childish attempt at humor has failed to keep me interested enough to even read it through.

Phil
10-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Phil, I started to read your post but got boooooored even more so than watching baseball. So sorry but you're childish attempt at humor has failed to keep me interested enough to even read it through.

You got bored, Topspin, because you missed the point. That happens with people like you. That is why you started this thread in the first place, isn't it-because you entirely miss the point (of the Game)?

Camilio Pascual
10-26-2004, 04:38 AM
I got to admit that I'm not a big fan of this game, but playoff time, I usually watch a few innings. And doing so tonight while watching game 7 of the yanks and sox, I realized how disgusting this game really is. Practically every frame of coverage involves some sort of chewing and spitting by players on the field, players on the bench, and yes, even the umpires. And to top it all off, they are all grown men wearing pyjama like uniforms. I know the game is heavy on tradition, but anyone who looks at it objectively has to realize that it's really a very silly and boring game for the most part.

Okay, here is your original message. Half of it was about chewing and spitting, it was well covered in this thread why some think you obsess on it. Your second point was about the uniforms resembling pajamas. The thread is probably better for no one responding to that, did you really eagerly anticipate some discussion of it? Your last sentence has the gall to claim that those who look "objectively" (who are they, people who obsess on spitting?) at the game realize it is silly and boring. What were you expecting as a response, really?

topspin
10-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Camilio, I don't obsess about spitting, why would you even say such a thing is beyond me. In fact, the point I'm trying to make is that baseball is obsessed with spitting. So of course, this means you totally missed the point too.

As for my last line, I did say, as you also quoted, "And to top it all off". So clearly this was an addition to the main point. And I already said I'm not surprised that all the replies focused more on this. But clearly, no one has yet to give any explanation for the spitting, the pyjamas, the manager also wearing the pyjamas and so on.

chad shaver
10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Topspin,

Ok, we get it. You don't like that baseball players spit (or are obsessed with spitting). You don't some of us on this board because we're idiots, clowns, and complete jokes (maybe even rednecks).

You find the game boring and silly, which is fine. If you could care less, why did you bother posting this on a tennis message board?

You've stated your opinion. Some of us don't agree. Let it go.

topspin
10-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Chad, are you some self-appointed Tennis Warehouse forum supervisor who should decide what we can post? I think not, so stop acting like some big shot ok. I posted because I FELT LIKE IT....OK??? If that's not ok with you, why don't you just move on to the next thread and continue your board supervisor duties, sheeeeeeesh

chad shaver
10-26-2004, 01:58 PM
As I said in my first post on this thread, you are entitled to your opinion...over and over and over....

Perhaps I am now antagonizing you because I FEEL LIKE IT. It's working, too.

topspin
10-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Yeah you wish. Really mature though, nice to see your true colors (as a clown) coming through loud and clear, over and over and over again...... You baseball lover you, LOL.

chad shaver
10-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Nice, timely response. One minute or less. I actually made an edit, go back and re-read it. Looks like I was right about the antagonizing....

topspin
10-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Yeah it's fun to antagonize someone you've never met before, sitting behind your little keyboard there, isn't it? I made a mod on my previous post too, check it out.

chad shaver
10-26-2004, 02:10 PM
You are correct, sir. I am a baseball lover (over and over again). And actually, yes, it is kinda fun to antagonize you.

Do they have a World Series of Curling, by any chance?

khs_tennis
10-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Topspin, to my knowledge, it's kinda hard not to spit when you have chew in your mouth. And to those of you who say, "well a lot of them don't use chew", i say to you this: it's a habit picked up from as far back as bush league for sompe people. You always wanted to act and play like your favorite major leaguer and then it becomes habit. Trust me, it's happened to me and many other people that I've played alongside with.

topspin
10-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Chad, you aren't very perceptive if you believe that you are antagonizing me. But hey, whatever makes you happy.

Khs_tennis, that's very true, and I can understand that. When players are just standing around doing nothing for hours on hours, they find ways to pass the time. And chewing and spitting seems to be the main passtime for ball players. So the slow pace of the game has influenced this disgusting habit to develop.

As for the manager wearing uniforms, just think how silly it is. Imagine if Serena and Venus' dad dressed up like a tennis player, or even with those boots Serena was wearing at the us open. Or imagine the same thing in hockey, football, basketball, and on and on.

BiGGieStuFF
10-27-2004, 10:21 AM
if baseball is not a sport than sports such as high jump, pole vault, long jump, javelin throw shouldn't be a sport either but yet they are. These are activities that require skill. I hate to say it but even hunting can be considered a sport because it requires skill even though it's not something that gets your heartrate going. If baseball managers wearing uniforms is silly then that means the same goes for basketball coaches that are wearing 3 piece suits but yet I don't hear any complaints about basketball being a silly sport.

topspin
10-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Hey even thumb twirling can be a sport. I won't even bother getting into the whole "is it a sport" discussion because it comes down to your definition of the word "sport". I don't see anything silly about basketball, or for that matter, hockey, soccer coaches wearing suits. The point about baseball managers wearing uniforms is that it's silly because they don't need to since they aren't playing.

The silliest thing about baseball though has to be the "World Series". Exactly who thought this up? The world? It's just the USA and now 1 Canadian city. LOL now that's silly!

PugArePeopleToo
10-27-2004, 12:59 PM
In Davis Cup, doesnít the captain, a non-playing member on the team, also wear tennis gear? Do you find that silly? Why does Wimbledon have a white dress code? Isn't that silly? Isn't tennis score keeping of love, 15,30, 40 silly? To an outside observer any sport can have its idiosyncracy, but that does not make it a silly sport.

Dedans Penthouse
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
topspin, a couple of comments:

1. "Understanding the game" --- Camilio, Deuce, Kevin T and et al tried to OBJECTIVELY present a different point of view without the rancor, sarcasm, etc., please bear that in mind.

2. "Managers wearing uniforms" --- The game of baseball is somewhat unique in that many times the manager is required to step on the field to "execute" a managerial maneuver (changing a pitcher, to discuss/contest a call by the umpire, etc.). Not too many other sports "allow" the coach/manager to ENTER THE FIELD OF PLAY to argue a call, switch players, etc., --- those "things" are usually done from the team bench. Btw, there was a manager of the Philadelphia Phillies named Cornelius McGillicuddy (better know to most as Connie Mack, and better known to me as a racist s.o.b.) who did in fact wear a suit and tie on the bench in the '20's and '30's. You mention the "what if John Madden...or Richard Williams walked out onto the field, the court..." Well, frankly, a guy looking like an encyclopedia door-to-door salesman walking out onto the mound to discuss with his pitcher how he wants to pitch "this next guy" to me would look about as silly as a screen door on a submarine.

3. "chad shaver's 'move on' comment" --- in reading his posts, I didn't get half of the antagonistic vibe that you did. He said simply "ok, you've made your point......next page please" Sounded like you wanted to ...... er, ..... belabor the point??? ....which brings up to #4, the Worlds Series:

4. "World Series" --- ah, now it appears that you're trying to get a rise out of everyone by grasping at straws. Next thing you know, you'll be ranking on the "7th inning stretch." Do so at your own peril (obscure historical hint: Manhattan College Jaspers).

5. "Phil's post" --- "Pee-wee nookie" ROTFLMAO

You hate baseball? Great! Hatred noted.

Next?

topspin
10-27-2004, 02:02 PM
In Davis Cup, doesnít the captain, a non-playing member on the team, also wear tennis gear? Do you find that silly? Why does Wimbledon have a white dress code? Isn't that silly? Isn't tennis score keeping of love, 15,30, 40 silly? To an outside observer any sport can have its idiosyncracy, but that does not make it a silly sport.

I don't know about Davis Cup since I don't really watch it. But if indeed the coach there is actually wearing full tennis gear and not just a warm up suit, it could have to do with the fact that some coaches actually hit with their players and need to wear tennis gear. In baseball, it's not the case, that's why it's so silly.

Wimbledon has a white dress code because it's a tradition and something that a lot of exclusive tennis clubs still require today. It's somewhat silly but not nearly as baseball. The score keeping in tennis is not really silly, it's just confusing for begginers. There is actually a concept behind the scoring being that way, but in baseball, there is no concept behind spitting and so on. Big difference.

topspin
10-27-2004, 02:10 PM
1. No sorry Shawn, those posters you mention in point 1 did not present an objective point of view at all. They did not address the issue and simply stated that I must not know much about the game.

2. Since when does just walking on a field require the use of a full uniform? Is he sprinting out to make his pitcher change to the point where he needs cleats and loose clothing? LOL come on, get real now.

3. Chad was saying "move on" but clearly he wasn't willing to move on himself. So I replied. Simple as that.

4. You bring up a good point about that 7th inning stretch. I didn't get to it yet, so yeah, what's the deal with that? Are the fans so stiff in the crowd from not having anything to cheer about that they have to be encouraged to get up and stretch? LOL. Oh and yeah, you didn't address the "World Series" issue. Can't wait to hear an "objective" explanation about this one.

5. Not sure what you're talking about, didnt' read Phil's post.

chad shaver
10-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Actually, I was....

Did I ever mention soccer is stupid? Well lemme tell you.... :)

topspin
10-27-2004, 02:23 PM
For a guy who keeps saying he's ready to move on, he sure has a funny way of showing it. Yeah very mature post there Chad. You know what's stupid...look in the mirror.

chad shaver
10-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Keep the insults coming, please.

BiGGieStuFF
10-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Actually, I was....

Did I ever mention soccer is stupid? Well lemme tell you.... :)I used to think soccer was dumb to, but watching it in real life gives you a perspective of how fit these guys are. But still not my cup of tea.

chad shaver
10-27-2004, 05:56 PM
I actually don't think it's stupid. I was just being an immature, smart@ss clown. Just ask my buddy Topspin, whom I am not antagonizing.

Phil
10-27-2004, 06:15 PM
topspin, a couple of comments:

1. "Understanding the game" --- Camilio, Deuce, Kevin T and et al tried to OBJECTIVELY present a different point of view without the rancor, sarcasm, etc., please bear that in mind.

2. "Managers wearing uniforms" --- The game of baseball is somewhat unique in that many times the manager is required to step on the field to "execute" a managerial maneuver (changing a pitcher, to discuss/contest a call by the umpire, etc.). Not too many other sports "allow" the coach/manager to ENTER THE FIELD OF PLAY to argue a call, switch players, etc., --- those "things" are usually done from the team bench. Btw, there was a manager of the Philadelphia Phillies named Cornelius McGillicuddy (better know to most as Connie Mack, and better known to me as a racist s.o.b.) who did in fact wear a suit and tie on the bench in the '20's and '30's. You mention the "what if John Madden...or Richard Williams walked out onto the field, the court..." Well, frankly, a guy looking like an encyclopedia door-to-door salesman walking out onto the mound to discuss with his pitcher how he wants to pitch "this next guy" to me would look about as silly as a screen door on a submarine.

3. "chad shaver's 'move on' comment" --- in reading his posts, I didn't get half of the antagonistic vibe that you did. He said simply "ok, you've made your point......next page please" Sounded like you wanted to ...... er, ..... belabor the point??? ....which brings up to #4, the Worlds Series:

4. "World Series" --- ah, now it appears that you're trying to get a rise out of everyone by grasping at straws. Next thing you know, you'll be ranking on the "7th inning stretch." Do so at your own peril (obscure historical hint: Manhattan College Jaspers).

5. "Phil's post" --- "Pee-wee nookie" ROTFLMAO

You hate baseball? Great! Hatred noted.

Topspin - Quoting Sean's post above as a reminder to you that, well...YOU'VE BEEN OWNED. I'm sure you read my post.

Take Chad's advice and move on-you like to drag things out, I know-like your pathetic dance with the Deuce, but really-spitting, uniforms????? You can't actually talk about the GAME because you're just too far out of your depth here. Honestly, swallow your pride and STFU. You aren't making any progress here-you're banging your head against a brick wall. You started a thread-a critical thread-that you don't have the knowledge or wherewithal to continue intelligently. Your place on these boards is to bash the Williams sisters. You have an agenda, so return to your agenda. There's just not enough Williams bashers on the board, so your services are badly needed in that area.

tonycheese
10-27-2004, 08:59 PM
WHAT NOW RED SOX WIIIINNNNN

topspin
10-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Phil you don't own anyone or anything, in fact, the only thing you seem to own is that smartass attitude that is really getting you far in life by insulting people on a message board.

Oh I'm perfectly willing and ready to discuss any aspect of baseball. Seems that everytime I try to do so, the insults just come flying in. Why? I'll tell you why...you listening??? Because you guys got no explanation for these silly aspects to the game of baseball. That's why. So how about you shut your yap for once. Yeah, think about it, it's a great idea, might prevent you from sticking your foot in your mouth time after time.

BTW your post makes no sense. What does quoting that post have to do with me not reading your posts? Ah forget it, your lost dude. I'm seriously pretty sure now that you're on or have been on some kind of medication. Anyhoo, back to ignoring you.

Phil
10-27-2004, 10:32 PM
No medication here, Topspin. Based on your SILLY comments on this "silly" game, it's obvious who the lost soul is here. If I was so full of it, I suppose there wouldn't be about 30 other people on this thread saying pretty much the same thing. But we must ALL be full of it, with me as the representative, right? As I said, you're out of your depth here. If spitting and uniforms is all you have to say, then that's pretty lame. You don't know anything about the game-clueless just like your old man, so it's pretty pointless discussing it with you. I have no problem discussing an issue with someone else with whom I don't agree with, if that person KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. You simply don't based on your continuing ignorant comments.

There are PLENTY of opportunities to bash the Williams-just go do it.

topspin
10-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Doesn't seem like you're talking about the game that you claim you know so well. Doesn't surprise me, you have no explanation for the points I've made, just like everyone else in this thread except one guy who actually did try.

Phil
10-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Just go back and re-read my first post, Deuce's (again, gulp!!!) post, Rabbit's and Kevin T's. Instead of acting like a punk and eliciting cat calls in your direction, try to learn about the subject that you're talking about. These are good posts. Or, you can respond with the same empty b.s.-i.e. Am I "on meds?" That surely adds to the discussion.

topspin
10-27-2004, 10:56 PM
I read those posts, they didn't offer any explanation. But anyhoo, believe it or not, I don't hate baseball as Chad suggests, I just find it lame, boring, just like you Philippe.

Phil
10-27-2004, 11:12 PM
Yes, those posts DID offer an explanation-not everything, of course, but enough for a layman to see the light. You're just dense, I guess. A chip off the old block, eh?

topspin
10-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Yeah like where? Oh and very mature of you to try and make fun of my dad hiding behind your little keyboard. Too bad you would never have the guts to say something like that to his face. If you did, ooooh poor you. But hey, that's why you sit there and throw your filth around like the coward that you are. Now go call your little friends and go out and play some ball, they need someone to sweep the sand off home base.

Phil
10-28-2004, 12:45 AM
You brought up dad, not me-I leave my family out of these discussions. So I would, if I had the opportunity, say it to YOUR face and there wouldn't be much you could do. Coward indeed. Methinks little Top man is getting ANGRY again. "Filth"...LOL. Oh, and BTW it's home PLATE, not base. Another indication that you don't know the game and continue to talk out of your behind.

Camilio Pascual
10-28-2004, 04:41 AM
Because you guys got no explanation for these silly aspects to the game of baseball. That's why.

Topspin - I've played a LOT of baseball. I'll give you an incomplete and SUBJECTIVE explanation for one of the aspects of the game you don't understand. Quite simply: Baseball is a twitchy sport. Those periods when people think "nothing is going on" are spent giving, taking, and attempting to steal signs. And observing behaviour. The catcher is looking at the base stealer to see if he is unknowingly giving that tell tale sign he is really going this time. The catcher noticed 2 or 3 times last season that the guy wiggled the fingers on his RIGHT hand before going. Coincidence or not? Should I call a pitch out or not on this 2-1 count which will be 3-1 (a hitter's count) whether I suceed in gunning him down or not? A coach is signaling the left fielder off the line, the batter never pulls. The tension is rising in the ballplayers and coaches while this "nothing" is going on. It is rising with the knowledgeable fans. This causes anxiety that is relieved by rituals, chewing and spitting tobacco being one of them. Another thing a ritual can do, if strictly adhered to, is to make sure you don't tip your hand. So all kinds of twitchy and spitting behaviour goes on until the play develops. Watch the coaches and players in the dugout when the play unfolds. No twitchy or spitting behaviour for 3 or 4 seconds! This is a woefully incomplete and abbreviated explanation, but I sincerely hope I have pointed you in the right direction to understand this behviour. Just think of it as a period of rising tension and anxiety that actually gets relieved with the pitch. And that relief results in the loosened, supple muscles required to execute the highly precise movements and action required in baseball. Hey, even I think Garciaparra goes a little overboard at the plate! Take care.

Dedans Penthouse
10-28-2004, 07:31 AM
topspin: alright, I tried to address your comments on a point-by-point basis in a somewhat cogent manner in order to appeal to your sense of reasoning (I sincerely assume that you are a reasonable person), and I also did so with a sense of historical whimsy what with my "7th inning stretch" reference. Apparently, I have failed in attempting to reach you sense of reason---it would appear to me that you are simply a bigoted crank with an ax to grind, a crank (who in the midst of DETAILED explainations regarding the NUANCES of the game) continues to GLOSS OVER the specifics of what has been explained by others who in my humble opinion possess a knowledge of the game and instead chooses to "slide" back into crank-mode. Fair enough. Now my little denizen of a region (Quebec) that contains an INORDINATE amount of people who want to break away from the "mother country" simply on the basis of ah-hem.....cultural identity? (read: sniveling, French/Gaulic-hypernationalistic bigotry), let me school you on some of the brilliant salient points you've continue to belabor in the face of what were reasonable explainations. And do bear this in mind: these people (Camilio, Rabbit, Deuce, chad shaver, Phil et al), did take the time to ATTEMPT to "educate" you regarding the HIDDEN "game within a game" that IS a prominent feature of the sport of baseball, albeit a lost one to non-fans of the game.

1. "Uniforms" --- Why do managers and coaches wear uniforms while coaches in other sports wear "street clothes?" Answer: The TRADITION of managers wearing team uniforms rather than civilian clothing dates back to the early days of baseball, when most teams employed player-managers. Since the managers usually played, they needed to be in full team uniform. As I previously mentioned, Connie Mack was an exception to this--but please note: Mack refrained from stepping out onto the field. He would send instructions via the bench or would send a couch out in his place. But that's besides the point. If you think that TRADITION is archaic today given the fact that managers do not actively play the game, then I refer you to YOUR OWN COMMENT REGARDING DAVIS CUP CAPTAINS WEARING TENNIS OUTFITS:

(re: Davis Cup): "....but if indeed there is actually wearing full gear, that could have to do with the fact that some coaches actually hit with their players and need to wear tennis gear. In baseball that is not the case, that's why it is so silly." --- topspin

Dude, take the term "fungo"......what does it mean to you? Nothing? OK, now understand this: much in the same sense as "Davis Cup" captains hitting with their charges, baseball coaches (including managers) are also actively involved in hitting practice fly balls to the outfielders, "pop-ups" to the catchers, ground balls to the infielders (and outfielders), throwing batting practice before EVERY game. Since baseball is the OLDEST of the four major sports (basketball, football and hockey being the others), the TRADITION.......repeat the TRADITION of managers wearing uniforms is OLDER than the "tradition" of coaches who wear "street clothes." Granted, it would seem wierd for the other sports to break with their "more recent tradition" by wearing uniforms, but who knows?.....maybe now you'll give up the ghost on this one.

You used Wimbledon to illustrate the sense of TRADITION; that more than applies here. Baseball managers wearing uniforms stemmed from something that was more than an arbitrary code of dress.

Again, I attempted to address some points minus the "attitude" inherent in your previous posts. You in turn sarcastically put the word "objective" in quotes in challenging me to explain World Series. Ok Maurice: when the World Series was first played (1903), the rest of the world was NOT playing baseball. Wimbledon calls itself "The Championships" yet is IT really, in the face of the French Open, the Aussie Open, the U.S. Open THEEEE CHAMPIONSHIPS? Again, remember that before Wimbledon (like baseball) there wasn't diddly-squat in terms of championships.....frankly topspin you really sound nit-picking/picayune on that point.

A quick word about the "peanut gallery" (Camilio, Rabbit, Phil, Deuce, chad shaver, et al) of this post, i.e. the people who had the consummate gall to "call" you on your sneering-toned tome and suggest that you may be (in baseball parlance) "off base" here. For starters, Camilio who doesn't have a mean bone in his body (save for his love tool), is a respected member of the pharmacutical field in the Wolverine State, Rabbit owns a chain of very successful dog obedience-training schools in Texas, Phil (as a wildly successful owner of ten of the "top shelf" Gentlemen's nightclubs) makes a pretty penny in a city half way around the world whose cost-of-living index would make Montreal pale by comparison. Deuce runs several West Coast surfing academies (his instructors are, I can personally attest to, are top-shelf), and chad shaver (as the name would imply) is the sole owner of The Gamecock Razor Company in Tarheel, NC which happens to be listed on the S&P 500. These guys aren't some chumps who get a rise outta culturally bashing some Great White North provocatur. They're family men (with great gommahs on the side).

About the 7th inning stretch: Howard Cosell mentioned it's origins one time on Monday Night Football. To involved to mention here---if it matters to you, you'd do a quick Google on it's origins. But (in a nutshell).......the 7th inning stretch is a TRADITION, much like the Montreal Canadians' tradition of getting EXCLUSIVE "DIBS" on ANY player that was from Quebec---regardless of "draft postition."

Forget the "standing around" impression that you continue to get hung up on. Check out a Devon White catch, Pete Reiser "hitting the wall," a Derek Jeter getting a "facial" going into the stands, a Derek Jeter having the instincts and smarts to run up the 1st base line to grab a throw from the outfield and backhand a throw to the catcher to catch Jeremy Giambi of the A's in a playoff game. Ask Sandy Kofax (one of the greats) how's his arm felt after "X" number of games? Hell, ask Jose Canseco how his head felt after that fly-ball-turned-home-run bounced off his noggin'. Tony Conigliaro's eyesight? Familiar with that one? Or Kirby Puckett? Think Don Mattingly (in his prime) didn't have "skills?" Think Jessie Barfield or maybe a Randy (LEFTY) Johnson couldn't maybe hit a serve a zillion miles an hour? You have NO idea as to the skill level of these people. Barry Bonds may be the King of Spincters, but he possesses eye-hand coordination that (outside of maybe Federer) probably noone in tennis today could dream about (his possible/probable "David Crosby" of a medicine cabinet notwithstanding).

You're banking on prejudice alone---it's very apparent.

Dial it down, Jacque.

Dedans Penthouse
10-28-2004, 11:38 AM
He would send instructions via the bench or would send a couch out in his place. But that's besides the point.

I meant to say COACH not couch, but please understand that it followed the words "via the BENCH" :idea:

Speaking of bench, if baseball is supposedly an exercise in "standing around" ask Johnny Bench how his "pins" (esp. knees) feel. Or more recently, ask Jason Veritek of the Red Sox or Jorge Posada of the Yankees how they felt having to catch a game the next day after playing a late night 15 inning marathon.

Btw, you knew that Ken Dryden and Guy LaFluer were gayblades didn't you? Hockey? gayBLADES? ...... get it? :wink:

Rabbit
10-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Baseball has been very good to me

The best place I have ever been for any sporting event, and I've been to quite a few, was Wrigley Field this summer. The history, the mood and attitude in the crowd, the continuous breeze blowing off Lake Michigan, and yes, the Old Style make for an experience I have never had before. I have been to professional baseball games in other stadiums, but nothing compares to Wrigley.

Baseball is a subtle sport. It doesn't have the athleticism of basketball. On the other hand, it doesn't have the in your face-ism of basketball either. It doesn't have the brute force of football. On the other hand, it doesn't have the regimented time-controlled play of football. You can go to a baseball game, be it a Little League game, a college game, or a professional game, and just enjoy being at the park. You don't have to pay attention to the whole game, you can let your mind wander and enjoy your surroundings. You can do niether at an NBA game since it's indoors. Football? Well, for most of the season in most of country, it's fairly miserable weather outdoors, so there is little enjoyment.

Baseball on TV is just as good, especially in high def. You can take a nap during a baseball game, one of my favorite things to do on Saturdays, and when you wake up (get the boiled peanuts off the stove around the 6th inning), you can catch up on the game and watch the later innings.

Baseball was my first sport. I was the only pitcher in our league in California to pitch a no-hitter one year. I had two pitches. The first was a fast-ball, the second was a change up. I thew the fast-ball until all I had was a change up and then I played the outfield. I quit playing baseball in favor of tennis when I was 14. I sometimes regret that decision. To me, there is no place better in this world than a dugout. It's shaded, it's you have the best view of the game, and you can carry on a casual conversation with your team mates and not have to continually focus on the game at hand. Hell, even the players relax when they're waiting to bat.

Baseball is a wonderful sport and a fan friendly sport. The players by and large aren't the a-holes that you find in other sports. They may not be role models, but they aren't felons either. I love baseball. I love the Cubs, which makes me anti-Cardinal. I am anti-Yankee, which made me pro-RedSox. The deal is, Seanie, who is a Yankees fan (I think) may rag on me a little about the RedSox, but it's not like football down here, where you hate fans from other teams (read SEC).

Did this post ramble? Probably, but it was written with baseball as the primary topic, which is a rambling sport unto itself. Baseball is the main reason I miss summer every year. I told my wife that we are missing out by not living in a bigger city (read Chicago) and that she would love Wrigley. Sigh........

PugArePeopleToo
10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
The Gamecock Razor Company

What happen to the censor? How come Gamecock did not become Gamepeepee?

chad shaver
10-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Censor must have fallen asleep. This is a test to see if gr@ndes still gets censored (it was even "cesnored" for a while).

grandes

topspin
10-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Phil, funny you should mention my behind, I always thought there was something very strange about you. Now I know for sure. Oooh Phil I guess you caught me by calling it "home base" :roll: Like I care what you call ilt. Point is that you need to go sweep it now because it's about all you're good for. If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Phil
10-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Topspin - Some very knowledgeable people have actually taken the time to explain the game to you in the mistaken belief that you may have WANTED to be convinced that it was a worthy game-after all, why did you post this in the first place? But you have either glossed over their comments, or you're too dense (again, it may be hereditary, as you indicated) to understand the game. It's a subtle game, but doesn't require you to be a grand master chess champion to GET IT. However, you don't. All you have to say are moronic and childish comments. You are a crank and a troll of the first magnitude. Also, I noticed in your posts-here and in other areas-that you possess absolutely no sense of humor or irony. Those concepts are well beyond your comprehension, obviously. Say what you will, but you picked a losing fight-from the very start. Go back to your bigoted ranting about Venus and Serena. At least you'll have some company there. You got none here, Jacque.

We wasted our time on a ****ant like you, but I get the feeling that all of these guys like the Game so much, that they probably enjoyed writing about it anyway-regardless of the unapreciative audience.

Phil
10-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Phil (as a wildly successful owner of ten of the "top shelf" Gentlemen's nightclubs) makes a pretty penny in a city half way around the world whose cost-of-living index would make Montreal pale by comparison.

Sean - Thanks for the plug. Just to let you (and everyone else) know, the number is now 12-I've recently opened new branches in Shanghai and Ulan Bator. Free passes to all members of this board!

Rickson
10-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Phil, how about a chess match? I'll meet you in a yahoo game room. Let's see how much of a grand master you really are.

Phil
10-28-2004, 08:15 PM
You're a really insecure guy, aren't you, "Rickson"? You must have "short person's complex"...I bet you're just ACHING to kick my a**, because as far as posting on this board, you're a waste-you can't hang. Gotta find something you can take me in, right? Anyway, your post is irrevlevant in this thread-except to take a swing at me. Unless you have something to contribute-and obviously you don't-leave, my little teenage puppy dog.

Camilio Pascual
10-29-2004, 04:35 AM
Kevin T, Sean, Deuce, Phil, & Rabbit - Your comments are so reassuring to me that there are people who truly understand the game I love the most. You guys wrote some gems here.
Topspin - Regardless of whatever motive you had, many thanks for instigating this conversation and the posting of Carlin's comments, I'd forgotten about it.

Rabbit
10-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Phil-define short.....

Phil
10-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Rabbit - Well, there are probably many definitions of the word, but if you check the OED, you will probably find the proper one, as used in the context of this thread...

Short - adjective 1. Measuring a small distance from end to end; "short dark hair"/"a short flight of steps" 2. Brit. (informal) urgent need to urinate or defecate. 3. (informal) of a person, "stupid" or "crazy"; "two bricks short of a load". 4. Referring to an inferior-feeling individual who constantly brags on a public chat forum of "bageling" old men and infirm women and his feats of strength-or of being such a "strong" person; may have unhealthy obsession with thuglike fighters and anything bellicose. Individual feels he has small member and must constantly challenge others if for no other reason than to prove, to self and others, that he does not, in fact, possess small weenie. Condition is often manifested in males who drive expensive sports cars recklessly, or, for no reason at all, attempt to annoy/interupt other TW posters-particularly those who have on previous occasions pointed out individual's...SHORTcomings.

topspin
10-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Phil, I'm throwing that stick, so run you little doggie, run to it, make yourself useful for once. Oh and did you go sweet your "plate"? Sweep it again little boy, sweep it again, I still see a bit of sand on it. If you act like an ***, donít get insulted if people ride you.

Rabbit
10-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Phil-gotcha.....I'm NBA material.....

Deuce
10-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Wow - this thread sure did solicit a large number of responses.

Topspin, you have obviously judged baseball without knowing very much about it. Certainly without understanding it. (Referring to home plate as “home base” is the equivalent of someone saying “that was a good volley” when they meant RALLY, not Volley – only people who don’t know or understand tennis make this error.)

Several posters have gone out of their way and taken the time to explain things and help you to understand the game better. In my view, these people – Camilio and Sean in particular – went above and beyond, especially considering your abysmal attitude throughout the thread. You should thank them.

Not understanding baseball certainly isn’t a sin. If a person doesn’t understand baseball, that’s fine. I think the others will agree with this. There are many things that each of us don’t understand – either because we lack a sufficient interest, or because we just don’t ‘get it’. Hell, I don’t understand music. Can’t read it or write it. Can’t play an instrument – although I would dearly love to play the tool which produces the finest, most magical sound I’ve ever heard - the acoustic guitar. But, sadly, I just don’t ‘get it’. But I don’t resent it and crap all over the thing. The person who doesn’t understand is in no position to be critical of a game that he doesn’t understand. That’s why people have had a problem with you. You had a bad attitude from the very beginning of this thread. People were trying to help you – and not being insulting in the process – but your responses were not only unappreciative, but downright haughty and insulting.

You had every opportunity to swallow your false pride, and say “Heh – from the explanations you guys have given, I guess I really don’t understand baseball. There’s obviously a lot more happening than I realize.” No-one would have had a problem with you if you would have just taken that mature approach. Instead, though, you just kept on being belligerent and arrogant, and continued antagonizing and insulting and claiming to know something that you don’t know – baseball. On top of that, you basically said that only an idiot would not see how silly baseball is. In other words, only an idiot would not see exactly what you see in baseball.

You’ve obviously revealed that you don’t understand the game of baseball. You are the only one who doesn’t see this clearly. As I said, that’s not a sin. Next time, for the benefit of all, just admit it, and then we can all perhaps have a more mature and civilized discussion on the topic, rather than a redundant one filled with insults.

Rabbit
10-30-2004, 02:34 AM
Maybe some of our friends Down Under can help us with this one. I have no concept of Aussie Rules Football. To me, it looks like total and utter chaos. But, it is apparently very popular in Australia. Their appreciation of that sport is akin to ours with baseball. In closing, I can only say that the older I get, the more I appreciate baseball. I don't know if that's a function of missing my youth, or of not playing in the old-timers league, or just that I get smarter as I get older.
Finally, Topspin, if you're ever in Mississippi when Mississippi State is playing baseball at home, go to a game with me. You'll be hooked. Nobody can resist the power of Left Field Lounge at Dudy Noble.

Rickson
10-30-2004, 05:29 AM
Don't back out now, Phil, people will wonder about your bragging ways. Tell you what, let's make it a best of 5 series like tennis. Chess, yahoo game room.

topspin
10-31-2004, 01:55 PM
Camilio, thanks for the explanation although I do know about all that already. The only thing I'll say is that there are moments of tension in other sports too, but they don't let something as disgusting as chewing and spitting become a main part of the game. But I appreciate your post without insults.

Sean, your post is exposing you as a big fool. I replied to your previous point by point explanation but you just can't accept my point of view. Fine, you don't have to. Next you go on to throw insults at me, which is where you show your true colors. I mean do you really think I care what you think of Quebec. Your post is useless and quite ignorant.

Thanks Rabbitt, I appreciate your insight and that you did it in a non insulting way.

BTW, I don't hate the game, I got fed up with not being able to watch 5 straight seconds of it without seeing spitting.

Phil
10-31-2004, 07:10 PM
BTW, I don't hate the game, I got fed up with not being able to watch 5 straight seconds of it without seeing spitting.

I've never noticed that much spitting being shown on TV, and players don't do it every "5 seconds". I've never chewed tobacco-but at least half of everyone on my high school, American Legion and semi-pro teams did. You've obviously latched onto a very minor, obscure aspect of the game. It's not even PART of the game itself. To me, this says that you don't have the capacity to understand the actual game. That, also, doesn't come as news to me.

Deuce
10-31-2004, 10:36 PM
You obsess on "the disgusting act of spitting" in the same way my mother would. Worse that she, even. You just go on and on about how disgusting spitting is. I've never seen anyone harp on this insignificant subject even half as much as you. I'd sure hate to see what you do to people who have the gall to fart in your presence... Oh, my!

If you think spitting is disgusting, I guarantee that SWALLOWING the stuff that people generally spit out (be it tobacco 'juice' or mucus) is far more disgusting than spitting it out. If you must think of spitting - which it seems you must - then try to think of it as the lesser of two evils.

topspin
10-31-2004, 11:41 PM
Taken from a game review site:

"Review by: Doug Trueman
Published: January 22, 1999

"I never realized how boring this game truly is."
- Homer Simpson, attending a Springfield Isotopes baseball game.

Before I launch into my review of HardBall 99, I feel that I must warn all baseball and video game fans out there that I have never been much of a baseball fan. Sure, there are some great moments (triple plays, grand slam homeruns), but these generally fall into three-second clips that are seen at the end of the week on a highlight show. The rest of the time fans watch as players stand around, chew tobacco, spit on the field, and occasionally do something athletic. Accolade has done a great job of recreating all of these wonders that baseball has to offer. Does that make HardBall 99 a great baseball game? "

That kind of just says it all.

Phil
11-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Copying a VIDEO GAME REVIEW to support a non-argument tells me that Topman's doing some serious straw grasping, having run out of things to say about the subject way back in his first post.

Well, that review certainly proves without a doubt...uh, I don't know what it proves except that you're too ignorant on the subject to discuss it rationally, and without the creepy and petulant attitude of a 5 year old. A VIDEO REVIEW? That's the best you can DO? Pathetic, man.

Deuce
11-01-2004, 01:07 AM
No, it doesn't "kind of say it all". It says simply what you want to read. For every published blurb which is critical of baseball, there are probably 100 which are complimentary, written by authors who understand both the game and its inherent magic. No need to point you to any of these, because you'd refuse to read them. Several posters here have written not only their perspective on the game, but also some great explanations - and you've disregarded all of them.

It's obvious that all you want to do is ***** all over the game of baseball - even desperately searching the internet for something - anything - that you believe 'validates' your perspective.

Here you are, riding on your spotlessly clean high horse, relentlessly commenting on how "disgusting" spitting in public is, while all the while, you're *****ting in public.

chad shaver
11-01-2004, 06:36 AM
Phil and Deuce,

You two just don't get it. This is a review by Don FREAKING Trueman, and he also quotes HOMER SIMPSON. How could you be so obtuse as to discount the great Homer Simpson's opinion?

"Here you are, riding on your spotlessly clean high horse, relentlessly commenting on how "disgusting" spitting in public is, while all the while, you're *****ting in public."

That is the best line I've read in a while.

topspin
11-01-2004, 09:59 AM
You guys are jokes. You are so blind that you are willing to shrug off any critism of the game by saying I don't understand the game. Some similar babies like you used to tell me the same thing about wrestling (not the olympic type but the type you see on tsn on monday nights). They would say how I just didn't understand it and blah blah blah. Well guess what, years later, they finally got it. Sad thing is you guys don't look like you're on your way to getting it anytime soon.

Another analogy is in hockey with the trap system. I love hockey but I would never say that the trap system isn't a boring one, even though it is intricate as a style goes.

Enjoy your silly little pathetic insults you big blind babies.

chad shaver
11-01-2004, 10:50 AM
"Enjoy your silly little pathetic insults you big blind babies."

Why thank you. I know I am and hope that the rest are too.

topspin
11-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Oh and btw, it's funny how a cartoon character gets it and you guys don't...hillarious

Phil
11-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Chad! How could you!

Topspin - Keep digging your hole-it's getting deeper and deeper with each post. Keep digging little buddy...

topspin
11-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Phil is that all you can do? Haaah! You're not only boring now, you're also lame.

Phil
11-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Keep on digging...

topspin
11-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Zzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzz

chad shaver
11-02-2004, 06:16 AM
Phil was right, you really ARE upset about not getting any peewee nookie....

Rabbit
11-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Wait a minute. First and foremost, mentioning baseball and wrestling in the same breath is heresy at best. Come on now, Topper, wrestling as admitted by the folks that put it on is entertainment read staged and predetermined, read fake. There is nothing fake about baseball.

And really, mentioning a gaming review of a video baseball game (did I read that right?)....tell me how many tennis video games capture the real sport? I can answer that, none. Video games while based on real-life events seldom do anything to capture the real world.

And, I can say this without exception. When you talk about "Plays of the Day", tennis doesn't come close to comparing to baseball.

Dedans Penthouse
11-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Camilio, I appreciate your post without insults.

Sean, your post is exposing you as a big fool. I replied to your previous point by point explanation but you just can't accept my point of view. Fine, you don't have to. Next you go on to throw insults at me, which is where you show your true colors. I mean do you really think I care what you think of Quebec. Your post is useless and quite ignorant.

Thanks Rabbitt, I appreciate your insight and that you did it in a non insulting way.

Btw, I am the artist formerly known as sean orourke. Attempted to change my moniker (noted in "Odds & Ends Section thread entitled "name change"). Again, attempted to change my moniker to "zippy the chimp" if only to reflect the inane vibe contained in all too many of my posts. First off, note the self-deprecatory tone of that last sentence. I don't take myself too seriously (i.e. on a tennis chatboard). YOU started the insult-vibe (as Deuce pointed out), but not only attacking the game of baseball (your right to do so), but then equating "idiocy" to those who value the game. THAT YOU HAVE CONVENIENTLY FORGOTTEN. As to me being a "big fool" (bwwaaaa! strong words dude!), better to be a big fool than a little one.

You don't care about my feelings for Quebec? You totally missed the "context" of that comment. It was to underscore your cultural bias by saying (in a matter of speaking), take a look at yourself: you live in a neck of the woods where a significant part of the population wants to split from the mother country on the basis of CULTURAL BIAS--plain and simple.

Again, PEOPLE TOOK THE TIME to explain the game to you. Managers dressing in uniforms? I answered that--no acknowledment from you. Traditions in baseball? --- I answered that so as to give you a better idea as to "why do they do this--why do they do that?" ..... again, no acknowledment from you.

Get off your weepy high horse. Your tone was snotty from the get go, and now you change your tack in a self-serving manner by claiming "bwwaaa, poor me---I'm being personally insulted!" Baloney, and you know it! As mentioned previously, keep diggin lil' doggie.

topspin
11-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Dedan, or whatever you call yourself today, your pathetic attempts to try and explain those things about baseball got about as far as your silly insults did. Your explanations simply hold no water, sorry. You can change your name as often as you want, but sadly, you can't change the ignorant fool that you are. Go back to playing baseball with in your lil pee wee league now, and call your friend Chump Saver here, he comes across as someone who crouches a lot with all the poop he spews, so he'd make an excellent catcher.

topspin
11-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Wait a minute. First and foremost, mentioning baseball and wrestling in the same breath is heresy at best. Come on now, Topper, wrestling as admitted by the folks that put it on is entertainment read staged and predetermined, read fake. There is nothing fake about baseball.

And really, mentioning a gaming review of a video baseball game (did I read that right?)....tell me how many tennis video games capture the real sport? I can answer that, none. Video games while based on real-life events seldom do anything to capture the real world.

And, I can say this without exception. When you talk about "Plays of the Day", tennis doesn't come close to comparing to baseball.

Rabbit, I know wrestling is fake, that was my point with those guys, but they didn't get it, just like a lot of guys here don't get or don't want to get certain things about baseball.

The game review comment was one of thousands of comments I could have quoted to show that the problem I presented in this thread is not just a pigment of my imagination the way some so called objective posters here would claim. The comment had nothing to do about the actual video game.

chad shaver
11-07-2004, 08:08 AM
You know, topspin, as a matter of fact, I flushed you this morning.

Rabbit
11-07-2004, 09:18 AM
I presented in this thread is not just a pigment of my imagination the way some so called objective posters here would claim. The comment had nothing to do about the actual video game.

You have color in your imagination, how wonderful!

Dude, in all seriousness, video games never have anything to do with the actual game. I'm sorry, the but review of a video game has nothing to do with the reality of baseball, so it is lost on my obtuse mind as well.

topspin
11-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Chump Saver, you would make a good catcher, your nickname would be crouching loser/hidden weisel. Pretty catchy huh?

Rabbit, oh I wish I had a technicolor imagination. But if you knew me, you'd see I really just see things as they are. You still don't get the video game thing. My post had nothing to do about the video game, nada, nothing. The post did not try to make any correlation between the video game and the real game. In fact, the review does not say that the video game has spitting in it. The quote just happens to come from someone who posted a review of a baseball video game, and in that review, he talks about the real game of baseball and some of it's characteristics.

There are problems in every game or sport, and I can call myself a fan of many of them and still be objective enough to see things the way they really are.

chad shaver
11-07-2004, 03:29 PM
You're really having to dig deep now, aren't you? I figured maybe it was just a momentary lapse into idiocy, but it wasn't. The best you can do is try to make fun of my name? How....4th grade of you.

Like people keep telling you, keep diggin', little buddy.

topspin
11-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Talk about no originality there Chump, can't you come up with something of your own at least? I guess not, so maybe you should stop crouching so much, it's cutting circulation. Have a seat and relax a lil instead, just be careful when you sit, you wouldn't want to get brain damage. Oh wait... too late...shux

Deuce
11-08-2004, 01:21 AM
amazing...

absolutely, positively a-m-a-z-i-n-g...

Rabbit
11-08-2004, 06:09 AM
One more post and then that's it.

Baseball is quite simply the Great American Pasttime and the ballparks where it is played are Cathedrals to that sport. If someone doesn't get that, like the game or not, then my heart goes out. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, which sounds as good as a well hit baseball.

Dedans Penthouse
11-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Name change was noted (and explained) in Odd & Ends in thread entitled "name change" so "on the record" there's nothing surreptitious about my name/moniker change. As explained in that "name change" post, I originally wanted to change my moniker to "zippy the chimp" in order to reflect the often inane/whimsical vibe in most of my posts---see Brenda, I can poke fun at myself, unlike you 'lil' miss performance anxiety'. When I tried to adopt "zippy the chimp" I was advised by the TW admin. that it was already taken--so again, there was nothing surrpetitious about my moniker change lil' ms. faux-frog "gerkin" girly-boy.

Features of the game of baseball (lost on you) were pointed out to you by the many generous people here; things were explained to you; PEOPLE MADE AN EFFORT (and took the time) to explain "why this" and "why that" and after all that, you continue your churlish little brat-like whining.

chad shaver
11-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Ouch. That was mean-spirited. :)

That's what he's wanted all along...maybe he's happy now.

Dedans Penthouse
11-08-2004, 09:31 AM
There is nothing, and I mean nothing, which sounds as good as a well hit baseball.

Awright Mr. Baseball Rabbit, let's see how good you are. The category: 1950's

1. Who had the most hits in the 1950's?
2. Who hit the most home runs in the 1950's?
3. Who got hit in the face the most times in the 1950'?
(---- answers below ----)

1. Most hits in 1950's: Ritchie Ashburn
2. Most H.R.'s in 1950's: Duke Snider
3. Most times "hit" in the face (1950's): Rock Hudson

Rabbit
11-08-2004, 09:42 AM
With regard to #3, was he hit with a bat or a ball?

Dedans Penthouse
11-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Well, figuratively speaking, I guess both.......with the latter being pluralized.

Brettolius
11-08-2004, 10:19 AM
rock hudson: man with the most mushroom bruises 1950-59. always the guy to take one for the team...

Dedans Penthouse
11-08-2004, 12:38 PM
rock hudson: man with the most mushroom bruises 1950-59. always the guy to take one for the team... :lol:

:shock: "boink!....ooohh.....Scott! Todd! what are you doing?!!"

topspin
11-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Dedan, ppl tried to explain things that I already knew and, at the root of it all, the explanations reflected more a sense to defend aspects of the game for which there is no logical explanation. And that's ok, everyone is free to see things the way they want if they choose to sidetrack the problem.

Phil
11-08-2004, 04:35 PM
With regard to #3, was he hit with a bat or a ball?

Da Da bank...rimshot on that one!

Deuce
11-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Dedan, ppl tried to explain things that I already knew and, at the root of it all, the explanations reflected more a sense to defend aspects of the game for which there is no logical explanation. And that's ok, everyone is free to see things the way they want if they choose to sidetrack the problem.

Yup - you know everything there is to know about baseball. You even know that the thing that the catcher squats behind is HOME BASE. The rest of us idiots stupidly thought it was home PLATE. What a bunch of morons we are!

You're the dude. You clearly need to be. Rarely have I ever seen a person defend obvious ignorance to the extreme degree you have in this thread. As I said before, ignorance is not a sin. But refusing to admit an obvious ignorance by calling others all kinds of names is.

In other words, it would have been much wiser for you to have quit on this a long time ago, before you made yourself look like a complete fool.

Dedans Penthouse
11-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Now go call your little friends and go out and play some ball, they need someone to sweep the sand off home base.

Deuce, not only is it home BASE, but (at the risk of sounding picayune), they sweep SAND off it?? Beach baseball!!

chad shaver
11-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Peewee nookie.....ROFL.

Brettolius
11-10-2004, 12:41 PM
he hung that slider...going back...back...way back...its outta here...TOUCHDOWN for jeter!!!

topspin
11-10-2004, 05:01 PM
How appropriate that the thrash of TW posters have come out to post here today. By coincidence, an old song was being played on the radio today with part of lyrics being "Cause we're living in a world of fools".

I don't care what you call it, home base, home plate, home on the range, parts of the game are just simply downright silly! Deal with it, ha!

chad shaver
11-10-2004, 05:04 PM
As I said a long time ago, you are entitled to your opinion.

Dedans Penthouse
11-12-2004, 07:15 AM
How appropriate that the thrash of TW posters have come out to post here today. By coincidence, an old song was being played on the radio today with part of lyrics being "Cause we're living in a world of fools".

"How appropriate that the THRASH?" ..... I take it you meant to say TRASH. Good boy! Now's that that's outta the way:

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury!!: It would appear here, that we have an angry little man, who, upon rueful reflection of his childhood has psychotically flung himself deep into the throes of depression while obsessing on the fact that HE, topspin, was 'left out' in 'right field' (if you will), when it came to getting pee-wee nookie. There is without a doubt, my esteemed members of the jury, a causal relationship between his "pee-wee nookie" crisis of yesteryear and his present-day penchant (what, with it's attendent, unfathonalbe lameness) for quoting songs such as The Bee Gees' 'How Deep Is Your Love' as some sort of pithy cannon fodder."

"How deep is your love.....how deep is your love.......I really need to know, CAUSE WE'RE LIVING IN A WORLD OF FOOLS.....breakin' us down....."

BRILLIANT TOPSPIN!!!!!........How on earth could you even conceive the idea of connecting those lyrics with this post?!! Utterly brilliant!! Why, in the words of the late Harry Carey (btw, ever heard of him numbnuts?) "HOLY COW topspin!!!" That was pure genius! Who (besides Einstein, Plato and maybe DiVinci) couldn've even thought up the idea of using the lyrics to "How DEEP is your love" as some sort of "inspirational" quote. Oh, one other thing: are you serious??....

Speaking of deep:

pull up a chair topspin; let me tell you something about your moniker.....and thusly (by association), something about yourself topspin:

"topspin" (for the most part) can be a good thing; it can lend itself, for example, to control.

But! When there is EXCESSIVE topspin (EXCESSIVE topspin having been the case all along here) all too often, "shots" fall woefully short of their intended target. And that too has (obviously) been the case here peanut brain. Now: how DEEP is YOUR love?

If brains were a pitcher.........I'd play your right fielder in the upper deck. :wink:

@wright
11-12-2004, 08:17 AM
You remind me of Sean O'Rourke.

Dedans Penthouse
11-12-2004, 10:46 AM
@wright, fyi: thread entitled "name change" in "Odds & Ends" around 2 weeks ago. (I did it "on record" and didn't create some "new" alias, a la elvis peawood, doc ricketts, rose barnfield, et al).

david aames
11-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Dedans Penthouse is Sean O'Rourke in reverse. When will you have your own clothing line, Sean? I mean... Dedans.

@wright, fyi: thread entitled "name change" in "Odds & Ends" around 2 weeks ago. (I did it "on record" and didn't create some "new" alias, a la elvis peawood, doc ricketts, rose barnfield, et al).

@wright
11-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I didn't see that thread, but that makes alot of sense! I was beginning to wonder if you got your brother to start posting or something...Only you would come up with that handle! Plus you own the rights to use that many ellipses in one post!

denver82
02-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Those that exhalt baseball should take a look at cricket. Far from being boring it's a lot more challenging than baseball. For example, in baseball you go out, take a few swings at the ball, get out, and sit down for a few minutes. In cricket you have to hit a harder ball that is going the same speed and bouncing of the pitch. If you get out, you're completely out and don't get another chance. Also, it is completely legitimate for the bowler to aim at your head and if he hits you, good for him!

Phil
02-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Those that exhalt baseball should take a look at cricket. Far from being boring it's a lot more challenging than baseball. For example, in baseball you go out, take a few swings at the ball, get out, and sit down for a few minutes. In cricket you have to hit a harder ball that is going the same speed and bouncing of the pitch. If you get out, you're completely out and don't get another chance. Also, it is completely legitimate for the bowler to aim at your head and if he hits you, good for him!

Do us all a favor and don't resurrect 8-month old threads. Everything that needs to be said has been said-read through the posts, some of them are quite well-written...I can say for certain that NOTHING that you say here will add to or enlighten this thread-you've got absolutely nothing to add, and your comments above prove that point. So get thee a life and post on a more current topic, please...just because you're a "newbie" doesn't mean you can't READ before you post. :rolleyes:

denver82
02-03-2006, 02:10 AM
Do us all a favor and don't resurrect 8-month old threads. Everything that needs to be said has been said-read through the posts, some of them are quite well-written...I can say for certain that NOTHING that you say here will add to or enlighten this thread-you've got absolutely nothing to add, and your comments above prove that point. So get thee a life and post on a more current topic, please...just because you're a "newbie" doesn't mean you can't READ before you post. :rolleyes:

Don't tell me where I can and cannot post on this site. Just because you're an '***' doesn't mean you have the right to bully people on this message board.

Brettolius
02-03-2006, 05:33 AM
So ball in cricket is harder than a baseball? What is it made of, depleted uranium? It also seems that is the ball traveled as fast as a baseball, from close to the same distance when pitched to the batter, then it certainly wouldn't be legal to drill people, especially in the dome. With a baseball there is a very real possibility of someone dying from it, it has happened in major league baseball, Carl Mays I believe.

denver82
02-03-2006, 06:30 AM
The ball is made in a similar fashion, with cork, wool, leather. However, the leather is then laquered to make it harder. Yeah, people have died from being hit in the head, that's why they wear helmets with titainium faceguards. Still legal though...

La Bomba
02-03-2006, 05:05 PM
I played Baseball for 1 year and it was the most boringest sport to play and watch. Cricket is a really good game you get more involved and its really fun.

Phil
02-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Don't tell me where I can and cannot post on this site. Just because you're an '***' doesn't mean you have the right to bully people on this message board.

I just TOLD you, spanky. I call 'em like I see 'em, and yer an idjiot. Cricket my arse...read the goddamn thread-it's not a baseball vs. cricket thread, and if you've never tried to play baseball, then you aren't qualified to comment on this.

denver82
02-04-2006, 02:19 AM
I just TOLD you, spanky. I call 'em like I see 'em, and yer an idjiot. Cricket my arse...read the goddamn thread-it's not a baseball vs. cricket thread, and if you've never tried to play baseball, then you aren't qualified to comment on this.

Well I have played both. What makes you so 'qualified' to comment other than the fact that you have way too much time on your hands and post messages all day long? You may think I'm an idjiot and even if I am, at least I'm not a jerk.

bluegrasser
02-04-2006, 02:23 AM
I love baseball, and like Phil said, TV robs the viewer, to really appreciate the game you have to get good seats close to the action, it's a great live sport. I had the chance to see the Twins live in their "World Series" run in 87" and 91"and it was an experience I'll never forget, even though they were playing on a pool table.