PDA

View Full Version : just curious what is it like to play with natural gut?

RedGinseng
10-21-2004, 03:24 AM
I once asked a local dealer how much natural gut was, just out of curiosity and he said it was over 60 dollars. I was lilke :shock: I gave him 18 dollars for a Gosen OG Sheep Micro. :cry: I will never buy anything from him again. Anyway I'm still a student so I can't afford natural gut but I just want to know how you feel when you hit the ball with natural gut. Does it dramatically improve your game? You feel like heaven when you use it? I will stick to cheap string for a long time but one day I want to give it a try to see how good it is.

sorry if this has been posted before.

Tennis Guy
10-21-2004, 04:52 AM
:? Why wont you buy anything from him again?

mark rodgers
10-21-2004, 05:58 AM
It's getting around Christmas time and parents are always at a loss as to what to get the kids. Start dropping major hints for a stringing machine. Spend your hard earned $18 on better string. Add a few more buck for gut and then you can find out for yourself if gut is tennis heaven.

Gaines Hillix
10-21-2004, 09:21 AM
IMO, nat gut doesn't feel that much different than a good multifibre syn gut string. I've used it as a full job and in several hybrids and I have never found it to be head and shoulders above other setups. There are others that will using nothing else, but I think for the average player it's a waste of money. The exception is for people with tennis elbow. They may not be able to play with anything else. But, you'll never know unless you try it for your self.

ohplease
10-21-2004, 09:39 AM
IMO, nat gut doesn't feel that much different than a good multifibre syn gut string. I've used it as a full job and in several hybrids and I have never found it to be head and shoulders above other setups. There are others that will using nothing else, but I think for the average player it's a waste of money. The exception is for people with tennis elbow. They may not be able to play with anything else. But, you'll never know unless you try it for your self.

I'd agree that gut doesn't feel dramatically different than a good multi - at least initially. That said, the one thing I appreciate most about gut is its consistent resilience - even after a few dozen hours of hitting, especially in dense patterned frames. Most multis, in contrast, feel a bit different almost every time out, and even if you don't manage to snap them, they seem to go dead far more quickly than gut (at least for me).

Cruzer
10-21-2004, 09:48 AM
It is definitely a different feel and the amount of difference will vary from person to person. I can feel a big difference myself between gut and a top quality multifilament. I put gut in my wife's racquets and she could not tell the difference between gut and Babolat Xcel and she has issues with her elbow. I never string my racquets using hybrid strings so I cannot comment on a gut/something else string combination. There are many posters who say a gut hybrid is practically the same as using gut in the entire racquet.

Gut probably won't do much if anything to improve your game but it is more powerful than many other strings and retains tension better than any other string.

If your local dealer is charging over $60.00 for gut he must be providing Babolat VS which is a very good string but there are other good gut strings that cost substantially less. You may want to investigate another stringer who can offer less expensive gut string options.

joe sch
10-21-2004, 12:46 PM
I think the feeling of natural gut compared to any synthetic is really no comparison. I would take any natural gut string, thin or thick guage and the feel just can not be matched. Even blending 1/2 the stringbed with natural and another sythetic is still fantastic. When I play one of my many vintage rackets strung with a synthetic, it just seems to take some of the enjoyment of hitting away from the experience. I will admit that its nice to have a racket strung with poly and be able to hit the H3LL out of the ball but this enjoyment always turns into later arm pain for me. If you think you cant afford natural but really want to try it then buy a $18 pack of bow or bde from TW and use it for 2 hybrid string jobs.

NoBadMojo
10-21-2004, 01:17 PM
think gut is better for a myriad of reasons, most of which were listed above. when you hear tension maintenance, power, feel, durability, easy on your arm, and spin all spoken in the same sentence about the same string, you know you are onto something special. also watch how a ball struck w. gut reacts when it hits the court vs how your best synthetic does, and you might witness a significant difference..it's like more of your work came out of the other end of your shot if you know what i mean....but, to me, gut coupled w. a really stiff powerful frame isnt so good and gut in the hands of someone who can not detect the difference is not worth it because of the price. to me, if you aint usin' gut you might as well use prince syn duraflex and call it a day.

RedGinseng
10-22-2004, 01:34 AM
Thank you all for taking your time to reply my question. :D so natural gut is not for everybody. I guess some people notice the significant difference and some don't. But there is definitely pros of it. tension stability, resilience, comfort, power etc. Thank you all again for enlightening me. Anyway 60$ for a string is too much for me, no matter how much money I have . 18$ for natural gut seems quite reasonable.

Tennis Guy, As a person, I like him. but he charges at least 20% higher. so I gotta find a better dealer to save some money.

Mark, I'm too old to ask my parents a Christmas gift :wink: when this semester is over I will do a part time job and maybe I will try natural gut.

Gaines Hillix
10-22-2004, 04:10 AM
RedGinseng, just to clarify, $18 is for the cost of the string only if you buy from some place like TW. Labor would be extra. To help cut down the cost you could do the mains with nat gut and the crosses with a cheaper syn gut, as others already mentioned. You could get two jobs out of one set of gut this way, plus the labor cost for stringing.

joe sch
10-22-2004, 06:56 AM
You may want to consider buying a stringer and stringing for yourself since you will save lots of $$$ in the longterm. Also, when stringing natural gut, you need to get a stringer that is experience with these jobs since it is much easier to kink and burn those strings thus ruin your investment.

SunDog
10-22-2004, 11:52 AM
I charge folks $25 for a bow championship 16L cross/ashaway monogut 17 main hybrid. The total for the strings comes in at about 11 - 12 bucks per racquet (after you factor shipping in). I use this combo my self - I have never experieced such good all around playability throughout the life of the string bed. Also - my wrist and shoulder pain has vanished.

intense2b
10-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Have you ever tried to put on a sheep skin condom? Well gut feels nothing like that..lol.

Seriously, gut may not be the best string for you. Its definitely the best string for serve and volleyers...but for the average club player it is just not a good string ...heres why. Gut does not last long...and unlike pros , club players will leave gut strings in for way too long. the string become old, crappy and lifeless. The Pro's have a brand new string job for each match. Therefore, unless you want to change strings befoe every game I would stay away.

ChrisNC
10-22-2004, 12:37 PM
I charge folks $25 for a bow championship 16L cross/ashaway monogut 17 main hybrid.

Out of curiosity, are you stringing those at the same tension?

SunDog
10-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Chris - I string the monogut mains at approximately 7 lbs less than the natural gut crosses for racuets that are strung in the upper tension range. e.g. for my own personal racquet (cat 7) i string the mains at 55 lb and the crosses at 62 lb.

ashaway recommended a ten pound difference on their hybrid pack, but i found better control with the 7 lb diff. I have not tried stringing them at the same, but a friend of mine did while using my machine (forgot to adjust mid stream) to do a monogut/syngut hybrid. he did not like the result of that job compared to one that he did correctly.

NoBadMojo
10-22-2004, 12:44 PM
funny how opinions vary....every once in a while i would do a 'wine and wood' exhibition. we break out the woodies, play a short match for the members and then drink a bunch of wine ;).....i bring out my snauweart fibre comps (and a couple other woodies) from the 80's string with vs gut and imperial gut which havent been restrung since then. these racquets (and strings) play amazingly well after all these years. currently i find that my gut hybrid stringjobs last approx twice as long as the expensive multis, and plays well until the strings break... and this playing on the dirt.

perfmode
10-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Have you ever tried to put on a sheep skin condom? Well gut feels nothing like that..lol.

Seriously, gut may not be the best string for you. Its definitely the best string for serve and volleyers...but for the average club player it is just not a good string ...heres why. Gut does not last long...and unlike pros , club players will leave gut strings in for way too long. the string become old, crappy and lifeless. The Pro's have a brand new string job for each match. Therefore, unless you want to change strings befoe every game I would stay away.

Have you ever actually used gut? Gut holds tension and lasts longer than any other string on the market. It's the best for staying consistent and NOT GOING DEAD.

intense2b
10-22-2004, 06:11 PM
[/quote]

Have you ever actually used gut? Gut holds tension and lasts longer than any other string on the market. It's the best for staying consistent and NOT GOING DEAD.[/quote]

No need to get insulting. Yes I have used gut...I am a 5.0 serve and volleyer and it is my string of choice. Gut may hold its tension....but it does not last long:

Compared to a polyester the conditon of Gut after a period of time sucks. It frays, breaks, moves around therby causing inconsistent shots. It also is much more prone to get damaged by heat , cold weather or even the gravel from clay courts. I have had strings pop right in my tennis bag just because of the heat. This is a string that must be tended to often. It is the best string on earth...but not over a long period of time.

If you are not going to change your strings frequently then I would not recomend Gut as the condition of this string becomes severly damaged over time. Thats why the Pros play with a fresh string joib for every match. Its a very sensitive string.

On the other hand , you can put luxilon in your racquet and although the tension does not hold that well...the condition of the string stay great. They dont even move.

perfmode
10-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Have you ever actually used gut? Gut holds tension and lasts longer than any other string on the market. It's the best for staying consistent and NOT GOING DEAD.[/quote]

No need to get insulting. Yes I have used gut...I am a 5.0 serve and volleyer and it is my string of choice. Gut may hold its tension....but it does not last long:

Compared to a polyester the conditon of Gut after a period of time sucks. It frays, breaks, moves around therby causing inconsistent shots. It also is much more prone to get damaged by heat , cold weather or even the gravel from clay courts. I have had strings pop right in my tennis bag just because of the heat. This is a string that must be tended to often. It is the best string on earth...but not over a long period of time.

If you are not going to change your strings frequently then I would not recomend Gut as the condition of this string becomes severly damaged over time. Thats why the Pros play with a fresh string joib for every match. Its a very sensitive string.

On the other hand , you can put luxilon in your racquet and although the tension does not hold that well...the condition of the string stay great. They dont even move.[/quote]

How the f did I insult you?

perfmode
10-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Have you ever actually used gut? Gut holds tension and lasts longer than any other string on the market. It's the best for staying consistent and NOT GOING DEAD.

On the other hand , you can put luxilon in your racquet and although the tension does not hold that well...the condition of the string stay great. They dont even move.

How the f did I insult you?

intense2b
10-23-2004, 04:12 AM
Perf,

Well, I think you could have used a better choice of words than:

"Have you ever actually used gut?"

No worries :D

perfmode
10-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Perf,

Well, I think you could have used a better choice of words than:

"Have you ever actually used gut?"

No worries :D

You just said that gut goes dead faster than poly.

What are you on?

topspin
10-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Gut has a very unique feel that you must try to appreciate. For me, nothing can compare for feel. Polys or peek strings will last longer but have a very muted feel. Try it in a hybrid, you will get it for about the same price as high end multifilaments, and the string will just be so much more of a great value.

RedGinseng
10-24-2004, 01:04 AM
Thank y'all again for the replies. I found a better dealer. so I hope one day I I can taste it :)

Gaines Hillix, Thank you for clarifying it. For better durability I'm going to try a hybrid if I have the budget.

joe sch, I want to buy a stringing machine but I'm still a student. When I have a full-time job, I will to save money

SunDog, you r post makes me want to use natural gut. 8)

intense2b, no I haven't used a sheep skin condom lol

topspin, thank you for the suggestion

John C
10-27-2004, 08:42 AM
I would suggest you try a good multi like NRG 18 gauge. It plays very simliar to gut, lasts about a long, costs $12.50 at TW. If you don't like it save your money because gut won't give you that much more.

topspin
10-27-2004, 10:29 AM
I disagree. You will be lucky to get 1/20th the durability of natural gut with something like NRG 18. Natural gut does give way more.

Gaines Hillix
10-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Agree with TopSpin on this one. NRG feels good initially, but starts moving all over the place almost immediately and turns to mush after about a month. Far too much polyurethane in this string for it to maintain its playing qualities for very long and in an 18g you'll burn through it pretty fast. The Laserfibre strings maintain their playability and tension for much longer in the multifibre syn gut category. Try some Lasersupreme or Laser Tour if you want a crisp feeling multi that lasts a while. Again, differing opinions on nat gut and you should try some just to satisfy your curiosity. It would be great if you knew someone that uses gut and would be willing to let you hit a few balls with one of their racquets.