PDA

View Full Version : X-One Biphase vs. SuperNatural Phenom (Closer to gut)

Tennis Guy
10-21-2004, 05:00 AM
These are the two strings that I have heard are closest to gut. (I didn't include SuperNatural Pro Stock because it costs more than some gut.) For those who have tried both, which in your opinion is closer to gut.

Also, I heard that Phenom is getting reformulated or something. Could someone explain this to me.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-21-2004, 05:40 AM
X-One Bi-Phase is a great playing string. Compared to Phenom it is a bit softer, but not mushy. Both are comfortable and play like you would expect premium multis to play.

In my playtesting experience, I give a solid edge to Phenom. First, the Bi-Phase is the best Technifibre string I have played with in regard to tension maintenance. Still, it needs to be pre-stretched and it does lose tension and consequently playability at about 8 hours. The strings wear from friction and the life of the Bi-Phase did not impress me.

By contrast, the Phenom holds tension and playability noticably longer. In terms of friction, the durability of this string is surprisingly good for a multi. Better than any other multi I have tried. It has a loyal following among my customers who use this string. They are fiercely loyal.

That said, Phenom's tragic flaw is that it has been found to be prone to shearing (breaking near the frame) on mis - hits. While all strings are prone to being sheared on mis - hits, the Phenom was less likely to stand up to hits near the frame than others on the market. LF has been working feverishly to study, understand and correct this problem. They have identified the manufacturing issues that cause this particular string to be more prone to shearing and have been working to correct it. I have had customers who are prone to mis hits and shearing playtest the reformulated test string. To date, no more shears. (Sounds like a shampoo, huh?) With the tests going well it is likely the reformulated Phenom will be available very soon.

In the meantime, I can not give a strong enough endorsement to the Yonex Tour Super 850. A terrific playing multi at a reasonable price, (approx $9.00 set). The 880ti is also terrific and there has been some good reviews of the 850 Pro here on these boards. TW does not sell Yonex string so you will need to go elsewhere to get it. The supplier I have been using and have been extremely pleased with is a competitor so if you email me privately I will provide you with the web site. Hint: Like Home Depot, but with a Racquet.
:wink:

Match-Point
10-22-2004, 07:26 PM
While I respect JS's opinions on strings, my playtesting as well as my customers prooved just the opposite. I have found X-One to be superior to Phenom in almost every category. I used to carry both strings but recently dropped Phenom from my inventory. M-P

wally
10-23-2004, 02:08 PM
my $.02
reference racquet tour 90 at 55-57lbs 17g strings

X-1 - easier to string a bit more "powerfull" less feel not as crsip feeling, I just strung it up and have hit with it twice so I can'y comment on durability

Laserfibre - not as easy to string, was very durable I got at least 20hrs time ( i play about 4hrs a week) . Maintained most of the touch/feel right up to the end. I really like this string just wish it was cheaper. I may try the yonex as mentioned above.

Given a choice and unlimited budget I'd play the Laserfibre every time. The X-1 is not a bad string its just not quite as good

Veritas
10-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Jerry Seinfeld,
How does the Yonex Tour Super 850 compare to Laserfibre Supreme?

Jerry Seinfeld
10-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Veritas - -

Again, hard to compare because in my experience the Yonex feeling is truly one-of-a-kind and I can not seem to find the words for an adequate description.

The Laser Supreme is a fine playing string. I am always confident in referring it to new and existing customers because it plays so well. By multi standards it is fairly firm. Holds tension well and still provides nice touch along with the power of a multi. Players who like softer multis need to look elsewhere.

The Yonex Tour Super 850 is not as crisp as Supreme, but it is more crisp than X-One and the other soft Technifibre strings. I suspect if you like Supreme you will also enjoy the Tour Super 850. Just as powerful, doesn't hold tension quite as well, but does a good job for a multi plus the durability appears to be comparable.

I have hit again with the 850 pro spin and it plays a little stiffer than the Tour Super 850, a little closer to the Supreme, but only comes in a 16 ga which in actuality is closer to a 15L. I suspect the durability of the 850 pro spin will be better than the Supreme and the Tour Super 850.

Hope this helps!

duck
10-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Jerry Seinfeld i noticed in a previous post of your you said you were playtesting polys and wondered if you have tried any of the luxilon, although they are not all poly but somewhat similar, and how they compared to a multi like xone and laserfibre. i have two prestiges strung up, one with xone and one with timo 18. the xone has a surplus of power and was decent in the other categories (except durability as i have recently strung it) and the timo18 has good power (if hit center) but is exceptional in the other categories, ie spin, resistance to moving, and tension maintenance (disregarding durablity and ease of stringing)
i have wanted to try laserfibre for over a year now but have been sidetraced with referrals to other strings and want to know if i am missing out. i generally play with soft strings and enjoy them very much but i am a chronic string breaker and even the toughest of multis and synthetics that i have tried have lasted me no longer than 10-12 hours. there is supposedly a luxilon that has a soft multi like feel that is made of polyester and i was wondering if you have tried this string or something that would suit me. thank you for your help

Jerry Seinfeld
10-23-2004, 07:19 PM
I have playtested many poly composites and IMO they play nothing like a quality multi. A world of difference.

If you enjoy soft strings then I would suggest the Yonex 850 Pro Spin that they have here at TW...I suspect the durability will prove good for a multi. When the LF Phenom is ready it also wears well for a multi.

As for polys...the softest I have hit with is Poly Polar...sadly no longer available in the US. Currently Kirschbaum TT and LF Kryptonite are the softer poly composites with which I have playtested. Timo is the stiffest/firmest poly composite I have ever hit with. ALU is very firm also, but a tad softer than TiMo.

If you were my customer I would likely ask more questions...but given what you provided I would try the Yonex Pro Spin and if that did not give you the durability you were seeking would move into the world of hybrids...likely with the Kryptonite mains.

Veritas
10-24-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I am probably going to test both of these strings to see what i prefer.

spinbalz
10-27-2004, 09:15 AM
How would you rate the Laserfibre Phenom in string momement? Does it have more or less than X-One? Please compare also the string movement of the Phenom to BB Alu, or other strings designed to emulate BB Alu (Ex : Klip K-Boom, Unique Big Hitter Tourna Poly, Babolat Pro Hurricane...).

bcaz
10-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Well, BB ALU doesn't move at all, really ... haven't tried Bi-Phase yet ... XRC Pehnom is a high-quality string that holds tension and plays well for a long time and is a good value for its quality. LF Pro Stock is better, in my opinion the best multi I've tried, but it is priced much higher than most synthetics, leading to natural gut as a feasible alternative.

tennisplayer
10-28-2004, 11:53 AM
I string the Phenom XRC at 60lbs for the mains, and 58lbs for crosses. I use the Yonex RD-10 MP, and use pretty heavy topspin. I've noticed very little movement of this string, as compared to, for example, Alpha 2000 gut or Prince Topspin, which move like crazy. I always use 16g.