PDA

View Full Version : Is a 26.5 inch racket more maneuverable?

BjornBorg
08-12-2007, 06:02 AM
I have to admit, sometimes I think about trying a slightly smaller in length racket--maybe something like the Aeropro Cortex Junior. It's 26.5 inches and has the 100 sq. inches and same beam width of the adult version. Yet, it weighs consideraby less (about 9 1/2 ouces).

Can a racket like this be swung faster and allow a smaller adult player to "whip" through the ball faster and still generate the same pace as the adult version?

Hitting with my daughter's junior Federer racket, I noticed the racket did not have the abililty to block returns back as well or serve as fast, but I actually was hitting more accurately, with better spin. What's up with that? Is a slightly lesser in length racket more maneuverable?

Ripper
08-12-2007, 08:35 AM
It's all about the swingweight. The shorter a racquet, the easier it is for racquet designers to keep the swingweight down, without making it too headlight or too light in general. The drawback is power. And head speed. The shorter the racquet, the less speed the tip of the racquet is going to be traveling at, given the same swing. That's how they came up with the magic number: 27. It's the best compromise.

Bottle Rocket
08-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah... A shorter racket is more manueverable, all else being equal. Think of whipping around some tree branches. It is easier to swing a long stick or a short stick?

You need to find out what issues in your swing are preventing you from hitting the way you would like. Switching to a junior racket has been discussed on here before, you might want to do some searching. I think it is a terrible idea and really doesn't make much sense, especially if you want to develop into a decent tennis player.

Besides the length issue, the stability issue you mentioned is significant. Like Ripper mentioned, the swingiweight is way too low for stability. It is also too low to produce any sort of power. With a static weight as low as 9 or 10 ounces, you're just not going to be helping your cause. In fact, you make yourself much more vulnerable to injury.

I know a 10 year old boy and a 13 year old girl, both who use oversize and full-size rackets. Actually, I think one of them might be using an extended length racket. They are doing fine with them.

Dennis Anyone?
08-12-2007, 11:04 AM
All things being equal, I'd think a shorter racquet would be more maneuverable.

However, I've got a stock 26.75 inch frame that has a high swingweight due to its (uncustomized) weight and balance. It's a Hammer-style widebody that feels great in the hand during baseline exchanges, but it's sluggish around the net.

Overall, I look at other specs, such as weight, balance, flex, and swingweight first.

You could always reduce the standard-length racquet of your choice.

Dennis Anyone?
08-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Double-post . . . .

dave333
08-12-2007, 12:07 PM
How small are you? I don't think you should need a junior racquet.