PDA

View Full Version : Driving power and heavy balls

seacard
08-12-2007, 05:14 AM
What characteristic of a racquet is most important for driving power and hitting a heavy ball (obviously, I understand that technique and racquet speed are the most important)? Is it swingweight? Static weight? For example, I hit a much heavier ball with the PS85, k90, and even the k6.1 95 than I do with most other racquets. However, I find them a little too unwieldy and powerful for my game. My current racquet is the RDS001 MP. I love the way it feels, but I can't seem to be able to hit quite as heavy with it.

Essentially, I'm looking for advice on what numbers to put into the racquet finder to get a racquet that is a little lighter and more maneuverable but still hit a heavy ball like I did with the PS85 or the k90.

PackardDell
08-12-2007, 05:24 AM
unstrung static weight. Got a prestige (320 gram) and when using the pace and speed from my opponent his balls then I can hit very hard.

sharp*shooter
08-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Look for a high static weight and low swingweight. You could try adding lead to your RDS just below the balance point so it raises the weight and lowers the swingweight slightly.

TennsDog
08-12-2007, 06:27 AM
You found the PS85 too powerful?? Wow, I love it because it has no intrinsic power of it's own. Yeah, you can get good pace and weight of shot with it, but that is all technique and racket head speed.

Anyway, I don't think you will find the same weight of shot from other rackets as those three. You can get something similar with other rackets/specs, but it won't be the same. I agree that high static weight and low swing weight will generally give you the most drive on your shots. (Wilson Hammers feel very unstable to me due to their low static weight and high swingweight.)

sharp*shooter has a good point about trying lead tape, but it is impossible to lower swingweight at all by adding weight. Adding weight below the balance point will lower the balance point, but it will still raise the swingweight. In order to not raise the swingweight too much, I suggest putting some extra weight/tape in the handle of the racket.

sharp*shooter
08-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah adding it to the handle is better. I still can't get my head around swingweight :-?

TennsDog
08-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Yeah adding it to the handle is better. I still can't get my head around swingweight :-?

Swingweight is just what it sounds like, weight associated with swinging. To figure out changing it, think about what is swinging. The end of the racket swings more than the handle. Therefore, the weight there feels heavier than the weight in the handle, which hardly swings at all. Adding weight adds what you have to swing. The only way to reduce swingweight is to remove the amount of weight you have to swing. That can either be done by removing weight from the racket, or moving weight that is swinging a lot (i.e. from the head) and moving it to swing less (i.e. the handle). That's why HL rackets will have lower swingweights than HH rackets (assuming same static weight). I could also get into a nice lesson on torque/moments, lever arms, etc, but that would take a longer paragraph.

Richie Rich
08-12-2007, 06:53 AM
i hit the heaviest ball with the PSC 6.1. no other racquet i have used since then has produced as heavy a shot as that racquet

seacard
08-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Wow, wasn't expecting low swingweight to be the answer. The kfactors have such high swingweight and give me the heaviest ball, so I thought the swingweight was most important. In fact, playing with the npro open x today, I was getting more pace and drive than I was with the Yonex. The nBlade didn't do it for me, but the nPro felt great. I am leaning towards that for now, but maybe will give the Microgel Extreme and the Flexpoint Instinct a shot before making any decisions.

Or just bulk up a little and go with the k6.1.