PDA

View Full Version : 2 vibration dampeners?

Nadal46
08-12-2007, 07:49 AM
What about play with 2 vibration dampeners?I just played with one of wilson(the smile) and I was feeling vibrations so I added another one and it was good, who had same experience?

Shashwat
08-12-2007, 07:54 AM
That takes away soooo much feel. I would never play with 2 dampeners.

Max Winther
08-12-2007, 04:30 PM
i think theres a USTA rule that says you can't have 2 seperate dampeners, but i may be wrong. my friend uses one at the very top of his racquet as well as the customary bottom one, but just like shashwat, i think that would take away a ton of feel, but if you like it, go ahead. if tournament officials don't let you use both of them, get a gamma worm dampener, those cancel out probably as much vibe as both of your regular ones.

feyya
08-12-2007, 05:17 PM
you can have as many as you want as long as their not placed in an area of intersecting strings

JW10S
08-12-2007, 05:23 PM
you can have as many as you want as long as their not placed in an area of intersecting stringsTrue...I remember playing someone who had a dampener at 6 o'clock, another at 12 o'clock and 2 more at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Gmedlo
08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I thought the rule was anything above the first cross is illegal, even if its up against the frame (12, 3, or 9 o'clock.)

FEDEX1
08-12-2007, 06:00 PM
idk if your guys think this is weird but i do...my friend uses a dampner on a babolat cortex racquet. i haven't really played with cortex but isn't cortex enough. I just think its weird cuse i like to feel everything, to see what shots were hit good and which were off center

jonline
08-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I thought the rule was anything above the first cross is illegal, even if its up against the frame (12, 3, or 9 o'clock.)

EXCERPT FROM 'The Rules of Tennis':

"4. THE RACKET (OLD 4)

[...]

Case 3: Can vibration damping devices be placed on the strings of a racket?
If so, where can they be placed?
Decision: Yes, but these devices may only be placed outside the pattern of
the crossed strings."

So, since the areas at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock are outside the intersecting strings, dampeners can be placed there.

jonline
08-12-2007, 08:50 PM
True...I remember playing someone who had a dampener at 6 o'clock, another at 12 o'clock and 2 more at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Man, I'd say that is a little overboard.

MaximRecoil
08-12-2007, 10:57 PM
In 1986 or so, my older brother had a Vibrazorb™ at each corner of his Bergelin Long String (12, 3, and 9 o'clock) along with one at the usual 6 o'clock position.

That was short-lived though. Eventually he got sick of the dead feel of the racket, like many people do after the initial "Wow, no twang" honeymoon, and ditched them altogether.

lakis92
08-12-2007, 11:26 PM
All guys think we should use a vibration dampener? I have a Babolat AeroPro Drive with Cortex and for the last few days I haven't been using one. I have more feel that way though.

JW10S
08-13-2007, 06:31 AM
All guys think we should use a vibration dampener? I have a Babolat AeroPro Drive with Cortex and for the last few days I haven't been using one. I have more feel that way though.I don't use dampeners.

Michelangelo
08-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Get a Prince strap-shaped dampener instead of playing with 2.

Mark Vessels
08-13-2007, 07:03 AM
What about play with 2 vibration dampeners?I just played with one of wilson(the smile) and I was feeling vibrations so I added another one and it was good, who had same experience?

It is illegal to use in usta events

stevekim8
08-13-2007, 07:41 AM
two of my racquets, i use 3 dampeners (if you consider rubberband as dampener). i use regular small shock absorber in the middle at the bottom of first cross, and then use rubberbands right and left of it.
it works really well

Ethan
08-13-2007, 07:57 AM

YES, i thought it was illegal too, read it off in another thread that u can't place it past the first cross and why would u do place 2 anyways ur taking out the challenge in tennis. I play wif only one dampener cuz its already built in if not i would rather play without it

Islandtennis
08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
"It is illegal to use in usta events" "YES, i thought it was illegal too, read it off in another thread that u can't place it past the first cross and YES, i thought it was illegal too, read it off in another thread that u can't place it past the first cross"
-----------------------------------

No its not. Jonline quoted you the Friend of Court rule which of course the USTA uses.

ChocolatePie
08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Even if dampeners were placed at the other sides of the racket, I don't think it'd make much a difference.