PDA

View Full Version : Federer copying Sampras strategy?

West Coast Ace
08-12-2007, 09:37 AM
I've noticed lately that Fed seems to be serving a lot more up the middle in both the ad and deuce courts on faster surfaces - grass and hard. I can remember watching Sampras matches in the 90's and being horrified that his opponents would time and again give up the aces up the middle, especially when they had break opportunities. I know they're pros and they (or most of them) can hit the wide serves - but it's still over the higher part of the net and thus the lower % play.

Jonny S&V
08-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I've noticed lately that Fed seems to be serving a lot more up the middle in both the ad and deuce courts on faster surfaces - grass and hard. I can remember watching Sampras matches in the 90's and being horrified that his opponents would time and again give up the aces up the middle, especially when they had break opportunities. I know they're pros and they (or most of them) can hit the wide serves - but it's still over the higher part of the net and thus the lower % play.

Yeah, first serve wise he loves to hit it up the middle. He almost always kicks it into the body on deuce and out wide on ad on his 2nd serve though.