PDA

View Full Version : Stable, Semi-Powerful, 11 to 11.6 ounce racquet?

TripleB
08-12-2007, 12:07 PM
After spending A LOT of time on the court today I've come to the conclusion that I'm a great deal weaker than I thought I was.

I took my 4 demos (Head MicroGel Rad Tour, Volkl DNX10 Mid, Babolat Pure Storm, & Yonex RDS002 Tour) and my two normal racquets (RDX500 Midplus and Pure Drive Roddick) and it is just unbelievable how "WIMPY" I hit balls that are shoulder height or higher. I just can't get any pace on those types of balls like I used to.

I was able to do it with my RDX500MP but it was a struggle....more effort than I'm willing to put into it....especially for the short and weak balls I was hitting from that position. The Head MG Rad Tour was a little better (lighter and more maneuverable, despite what the specs say) but the feel just wasn't as solid* as I get with the RDX500MP on those types of shots or any other type of shots for that matter.

So now I'm steering myself away from the 11.8 ounce and above racquets...especially if I'm struggling with my RDX500MP (11.7 ounces, supposedly 8 points HL and a SW of 315...the last two numbers I seriously doubt---less headlight and higher swingweight) and looking for something a little bit lighter.

So, in my never ending search, it seems like I'm now looking for a racquet that :

1) is in the 11 to 11.6 ounce range

2) offers great stability (like my RDX500 MP)

3) offers some nice pop to it (maybe a notch below my Pure Drive Roddick)

4) gives excellent maneuverablity

5) decent spin potential (used to think I had to have a racquet with 16 mains but today I found that there are times when you have too much spin potential and balls come up short)

Two racquets that I know fit this criteria are the Prince O3 White and the Yonex RDS002 (light).

Can anyone offer another racquet or two that might fit this criteria?

(anything made by Babolat can be ruled out....I've tried all of them except the new Pure Storms and none of them are for me)

Thanks.

TripleB

BTW: I'm going to add some lead tape to the MG Rad Pro before I send it back...I know it won't help maneuverabilty but it may help some stability.

Jonny S&V
08-12-2007, 12:14 PM
After spending A LOT of time on the court today I've come to the conclusion that I'm a great deal weaker than I thought I was.

I took my 4 demos (Head MicroGel Rad Tour, Volkl DNX10 Mid, Babolat Pure Storm, & Yonex RDS002 Tour) and my two normal racquets (RDX500 Midplus and Pure Drive Roddick) and it is just unbelievable how "WIMPY" I hit balls that are shoulder height or higher. I just can't get any pace on those types of balls like I used to.

I was able to do it with my RDX500MP but it was a struggle....more effort than I'm willing to put into it....especially for the short and weak balls I was hitting from that position. The Head MG Rad Tour was a little better (lighter and more maneuverable, despite what the specs say) but the feel just wasn't as solid* as I get with the RDX500MP on those types of shots or any other type of shots for that matter.

So now I'm steering myself away from the 11.8 ounce and above racquets...especially if I'm struggling with my RDX500MP (11.7 ounces, supposedly 8 points HL and a SW of 315...the last two numbers I seriously doubt---less headlight and higher swingweight) and looking for something a little bit lighter.

So, in my never ending search, it seems like I'm now looking for a racquet that :

1) is in the 11 to 11.6 ounce range

2) offers great stability (like my RDX500 MP)

3) offers some nice pop to it (maybe a notch below my Pure Drive Roddick)

4) gives excellent maneuverablity

5) has no more than 16 mains

Two racquets that I know fit this criteria are the Prince O3 White and the Yonex RDS002 (light).

Can anyone offer another racquet or two that might fit this criteria?

(anything made by Babolat can be ruled out....I've tried all of them except the new Pure Storms and none of them are for me)

Thanks.

TripleB

BTW: I'm going to add some lead tape to the MG Rad Pro before I send it back...I know it won't help maneuverabilty but it may help some stability.

Prince TT Warrior? Or the Dunlop M-fil 300.

Noveson
08-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I hate to push it but the T-Fight 320 fights in perfectly with all of your specs. Except that it's 11.7 oz instead of 11.6.

TripleB
08-12-2007, 12:34 PM

I have the TT Warrior and it caused me arm problems. I tried the 300G and found it way too low powered...does the MFil 300 have more pop?

TripleB

ProStaff Legend
08-12-2007, 12:49 PM
other than the new pure storm, u should try the LM radical. it has a dense string pattern but it still produces decent spin on serves and strokes. rds003 is also a good choice.

martin
08-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Maybe the Fischer magnetic tour. Just as light as the rdx500 but a very low sw, stable and a little more power.

alkibiades
08-12-2007, 03:32 PM
DNX 9, Magnetic Tour are your best best IMO.

Redflea
08-12-2007, 04:14 PM

Or the MFil 200 16x19 (11.4 oz).

gjoc
08-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Have you considered/tried the Dunlop Aerogel 5Hundred Tour (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-AG500T.html)?

tennis_nerd22
08-12-2007, 04:46 PM
maybe some fitness work is in order? :) iunno man, but asides from getting a lighter racket (which is a good idea), try doing some light weights (dumbells), or pushups and situps. it will also help, and extra strength wont do you any harm

AJK1
08-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Why don't you try the Wilson nBlade?

netman
08-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Yonex RDS 003. With some lead at 2 and 10.

Fedace
08-12-2007, 05:05 PM
BABOLAT aeropro Cortex

counterpuncher
08-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I second the Fischer Magnetic Tour UL, can't comment on the RDS002 Tour UL but I have the SL and based on my like of it, I think the UL is definitely worth a try as it shouldn't be too different.

AJK1
08-12-2007, 10:52 PM
If your hand fits the tiny grips the UL comes in, they are made for little people.

haerdalis
08-13-2007, 12:42 AM
I saw you reviewed the type R and seemed to like it. Why not play with that?

empee
08-13-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm in the same boat as you TripleB. Right now I'm using Ncode 6.1 but looking for a new stick that is around 8 points HL and lighter.

Thor
08-13-2007, 02:52 AM
Tflash 310 - the one stick im still looking to get my hands on,but a few of my buddies love it - less powerful than the PDR,can sustain hard hitting and has a 100" head.
Tfight 315(my current stick) - great spin for an 18 mains,akthough the 2 TW playtesters stated its jarring on off centered shots i really have to disagree - really stable.Overall a great stick - i switched from the n6.1 95 after plenty of demoes.
mfil 200 16X19 - HELL NO,stay away - like hitting a tennis ball with a squash racquet
V9 engine - a pretty good stick,though not very manouverable.
PKi 10 and 10 PSE - nice hits,i had a pretty short session with each so i cant comment much,but overall pretty good.

dave333
08-13-2007, 05:20 AM
Pure Drive and APD have plenty of pop. I find they are decent in all aspects, and amazing in spin and power.

TripleB
08-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks for everyone's advice...I GREATLY appreciate all of it.

I decided to go with the following four demos: Yonex RDS002 Light, Prince O3 White, Fischer Magnetic Tour Light, and Head MicroGel Extreme Pro.

I've playtested both the Yonex and Prince and absolutely loved both of them. See my review for the 03 White now and my review for the 002 should be up very soon. I thought it might be nice to try them side by side to see which is the best of the two.

Many here seemed to recommend the Fischer and I haven't tried a Fischer racquet in quite a while so I thought it would be a good choice.

Went with the Head because I'm currently demoing the MicroGel Radical Pro and really like it except it's a little unstable. I'd like to see what an added .1 ounce, 4 points of stiffness, and 13 more swing weight points will do.

To all of the advice I didn't follow, I apologize. I can only demo four racquets and some of the racquets mentioned I've already tried (TFlash, LM Radical, PD), or were similar to a racquet I already own (RDS003), or weren't going to be back in for a couple weeks (nBlade), or were Babolats (APD, APC).

Again thanks for the advice...I'll let you know how these four racquets compare in about 2 weeks.

TripleB

Alex132
08-13-2007, 09:48 AM
the Dunlop M-fil 300.

that thing is not stable at all. unless maybe you put some lead on.

fuzz nation
08-13-2007, 09:48 AM
DNX 9, Magnetic Tour are your best best IMO.

+1 abso-tively...

Maybe get a look at the Prince Hybrid Hornet while you're at it.