PDA

View Full Version : Can I piecemeal grommets?

enwar3
08-12-2007, 02:19 PM
So I recently bought a couple old spectrum comp 90s, but they might need new grommets. SC90 grommets are probably hard to find, but POG grommets supposedly almost fit. Could I maybe cut the side grommets into several pieces and have a shop string em in like that?

Richie Rich
08-12-2007, 02:23 PM
you probably could. almost the same as tubing old grommet holes. the strings might not seat properly with all the jagged edges from cut up grommets.

enwar3
08-12-2007, 02:56 PM
What do you mean by tubing old grommet holes?

And I mean, I could sand the rough edges.

A.T.S.
08-12-2007, 09:32 PM
What do you mean by tubing old grommet holes?

And I mean, I could sand the rough edges.
It is undividual tubes that you can get from TW and you can use them to replace a couple of broken grommet holes. These are much more convenient when there is only 1 or 2 broken holes, but if the grommet is completely trashed then yah you could use your idea.

enwar3
08-13-2007, 12:49 AM
My idea... like, it'd actually work?

Deuce
08-13-2007, 12:58 AM
It can be done, but it's a pain to string because the grommets are not held solidly in the racquet.
With an entire grommet strip (or half), the sheer number of connected grommets helps to keep it in place. But if you do what you describe, you'll likely have no more than 3 or 4 grommets that remain connected to each other. Most will be 1, 2, or 3 grommets connected. And those tend to like to fall out of the frame when the racquet is moved around on the stringing machine.
The alternative, of course, is to place the grommets in the frame as those holes are being strung. This, too, requires extra work, having to locate the right grommets that fit in that area of the frame, etc.

Don't be surprised if the store refuses to string it. Or if they charge you double the normal price. This is the type of project that is best done at home, on a personal stringing machine.