PDA

View Full Version : Did you hold your breath on Roger's last point?

tursafinov
08-12-2007, 03:20 PM
When I saw him go for the "Tweener" I felt my intestines tighten,
and there was a flash of Marat Safin Aussie Open 2005 in the milliseconds for it to hit the net.

Fed needs to ditch that shot in my (heart-failure induced) opinion.

Also Did he marry Mirka?

I swear I saw a Canary Diamond on the left ring finger.

~Tursa

thefederman
08-12-2007, 03:22 PM
i was praying for the shot to go over. that would have been insane. and as for your question i think he gave it to her as a type of "promise ring"

tennispro11
08-12-2007, 03:24 PM
and there was a flash of Marat Safin Aussie Open 2005 in the milliseconds for it to hit the net.

Also Did he marry Mirka?

~Tursa

I didn't hold my breath, although it was exciting. No he didn't marry Mirka, that would have been some pretty big news if he had. I don't even know if they are engaged.

MacKenzie
08-12-2007, 03:31 PM
I heard Mirka was his manager. He has a financial investment in her. :p

natasha_nana
08-12-2007, 03:38 PM
i was praying for the shot to go over. that would have been insane. and as for your question i think he gave it to her as a type of "promise ring"

Yeah I think they call it an 'i love you very much' ring...I've read that in interviews with both of them.

And yes, I was holding my breath...but it was very clear from 5-1, who was going to win.
Nevermind...there's always next time! Hey it could even be next week ;).

Fedace
08-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Also Did he marry Mirka?

~Tursa

i really thought he was going to make that between the leg for clean passing shot. he had pulled off more diff shots in the past and Novak was going the wrong way.

Topaz
08-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah I think they call it an 'i love you very much' ring...I've read that in interviews with both of them.

And yes, I was holding my breath...but it was very clear from 5-1, who was going to win.
Nevermind...there's always next time! Hey it could even be next week ;).

That's what I've read, too. She's had it for a while.

And yes, I was holding my breath!!!

BreakPoint
08-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Yeah, I though of that Safin semi at the '05 AO also, and I thought Fed had learned his lesson to never try that shot ever again, especially on match point! At least, at the AO, he was match point up.

I actually thought Fed could have hit that lob volley in the air if he had just leaped while he was at net instead running back to the baseline to try and get it on the bounce, which is always a low-percentage shot no matter what you do.

Safina
08-12-2007, 06:55 PM
dumb shot choice... i thought he had learned not to try "showtime" after 05 Aussie too!
guess he knew he was finished in this match, but he could have easily lobbed and made Djokovic play another shot.

Topaz
08-12-2007, 07:11 PM
dumb shot choice... i thought he had learned not to try "showtime" after 05 Aussie too!
guess he knew he was finished in this match, but he could have easily lobbed and made Djokovic play another shot.

I think the lob caught him by surprise...I think he expect Djokovic to pass him or go right at him. A smart choice by Djokovic, and a great lob to boot!

quest01
08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
I thought Federer was trying to be a little to fancy with going for the tweener. He should have took his time and set himself up for a forehand down the line. He would have had a much better chance of at least getting the ball back. So i dont agree with Federer's judgment of going for the between the legs shot. It just doesnt make sense to do that on match point.

rafa_prestige89
08-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Federer could do it so much better than Mirka...

gdsballer
08-12-2007, 08:34 PM
i did one on match point in a tournament last week...match point up and i won the point so take that fed...it seems to me that federer sometimes seems to give up when he's down, like today with mp down hitting a tweener, and in the french he didnt seem like he was into the match after the 2nd set

tlm
08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
It didnt matter what shot he went for at that time, please he was already done regardless if he would have won that point.

You have got to be kidding, he was not coming back today, the joker was not going to choke the match away like so many of the other weak players have done against fed in the past.

soggyramen
08-12-2007, 09:09 PM
I heard Mirka was his manager. He has a financial investment in her. :p

as big as Mirka's been looking in some of her pics it's looks like all of Roger's investments are in her lol

jennyian
08-12-2007, 09:16 PM
It didnt matter what shot he went for at that time, please he was already done regardless if he would have won that point.

You have got to be kidding, he was not coming back today, the joker was not going to choke the match away like so many of the other weak players have done against fed in the past.

Like Roddick at the Masters last year? Here's a kid who knows when to step it up during the important points of the match, he did that flawlessly throughout the Nadal match.

I personally think he handles "big" points even better than Nadal.

Deuce
08-12-2007, 10:23 PM
I agree - the between the legs shot reeked of "I give up". Not a very classy or respectful move by Federer.
He could have very easily thrown up a deep lob - he was there in plenty of time.

Disappointing.

rwn
08-13-2007, 06:20 AM
i did one on match point in a tournament last week...match point up and i won the point so take that fed...it seems to me that federer sometimes seems to give up when he's down, like today with mp down hitting a tweener, and in the french he didnt seem like he was into the match after the 2nd set

Exactly. He's a clown in the mental department. Those 11 grand slam titles in 4 years are just extreme luck. That's all.

my_forehand
08-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Exactly. He's a clown in the mental department. Those 11 grand slam titles in 4 years are just extreme luck. That's all.

that makes me wanna laugh. 11 GS titles..20 something losses in 4 years.
that's not called luck.

natasha_nana
08-13-2007, 06:34 AM

hahahahaha

For a second I thought you were being serious. Good one.

rwn
08-13-2007, 06:35 AM
that makes me wanna laugh. 11 GS titles..20 something losses in 4 years.
that's not called luck.

My post was sarcastic to be honest. You don't win 11 GS titles in 4 years if you "give up" like the previous poster implied.

Deuce
08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
My post was sarcastic to be honest. You don't win 11 GS titles in 4 years if you "give up" like the previous poster implied.
Actually, what the poster in question said was that Federer "sometimes seems to give up when he's down".
Which I agree with.

No-one said that he gives up all the time, or most of the time - just sometimes. And I have seen this. This past Sunday was one such time. He had had it. He was done. Someone who wants to win a match doesn't attempt such a low percentage shot (as the between the legs shot, which is low percentage even for pros) on match point down.
Unless they are not interested in winning.

The proper shot for Federer to hit in that situation would have been a lob and stay in the point. He was there in plenty of time to throw up a lob from his forehand. Instead, he attempted a shot that even pros hit less than 20% of the time. To me, it was a clear sign of giving up.

Federer seems to be a very complex person psychologically. Strong, but at the same time extremely vulnerable and fragile.

my_forehand
08-14-2007, 12:22 AM

oh well sorry :) didn't know

rwn
08-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Actually, what the poster in question said was that Federer "sometimes seems to give up when he's down".
Which I agree with.

No-one said that he gives up all the time, or most of the time - just sometimes. And I have seen this. This past Sunday was one such time. He had had it. He was done. Someone who wants to win a match doesn't attempt such a low percentage shot (as the between the legs shot, which is low percentage even for pros) on match point down.
Unless they are not interested in winning.

The proper shot for Federer to hit in that situation would have been a lob and stay in the point. He was there in plenty of time to throw up a lob from his forehand. Instead, he attempted a shot that even pros hit less than 20% of the time. To me, it was a clear sign of giving up.

Federer seems to be a very complex person psychologically. Strong, but at the same time extremely vulnerable and fragile.

1. Federer also tried that shot when he was matchpoint up against Safin. You're trying to tell me that Federer had given up ???
2. Where are the 6-0 final sets results to prove your claim ?
For instance Kafelnikov-Sampras 7-6,6-2,6-0 and Federer-Nadal 2-6,6-2,6-0.
If I claim that Sampras and Nadal "gave up", can you prove I'm wrong?
3. All great champions are complex psychologically. That's what makes them great. You think that Sampras wasn't a complex personality ???

The hilarious thing to me is that people act like Federer is extremely fragile when all the other players look like scared children to their coaches after every point: what do I have to do, coach ??? Federer never does that. He can handle everything himself.

Deuce
08-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Don't know what's with your attitude problem, but...

1. Federer also tried that shot when he was matchpoint up against Safin. You're trying to tell me that Federer had given up ???
When did I mention his match against Safin?
You're accusing me of making a claim about something that I never once even mentioned.
Do you always argue this manipulatively?

2. Where are the 6-0 final sets results to prove your claim ?
What is it exactly that you fail so obviously to understand?
If one gives up, one must lose a set 6-0? Utter nonsesnse, worthy of no further comment.

For instance Kafelnikov-Sampras 7-6,6-2,6-0 and Federer-Nadal 2-6,6-2,6-0.
If I claim that Sampras and Nadal "gave up", can you prove I'm wrong?
You - and your apples and oranges - have completely lost me.

3. All great champions are complex psychologically. That's what makes them great. You think that Sampras wasn't a complex personality ???
What exactly is your point here?
Did I mention Sampras? Or anyone other than Federer?
You're picking things out of thin air.

Federer seems to be rather insecure at times. I think the pressure gets to him. In different ways than it gets to most people - but it gets to him. On Sunday, I think his between the legs shot on Sunday was an indication that he had given up; that he didn't want to win that match; that it was too much for him at that moment; that maybe he feels less pressure when he doesn't win everything. Like now, for instance - because he didn't win the tournament on Sunday, there are now less expectations for him to with the U.S. Open. That translates to less pressure.
That's what I see in Federer. You don't see it? That's fine. Maybe you're right. Maybe I am. Whatever. I can accept that. Why can't you?