PDA

View Full Version : Broken Pro Staff 85?

Puffdaddy
08-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Last week, I framed a hard (120 MPH+), missed first serve from the guy I was playing against. On contact, the racquet made a very odd sound (and I've framed plenty of balls in my time).

I visually inspected the frame and there was no evidence of any kind of crack, nor did I hear anything funny when I shook the racquet near my ear, so it didn't seem like any obvious internal crack.

Since the incident, the racquet seems to play with a SLIGHTLY abnormal vibration. It's very subtle, but it's there, and confirmed by playing with another 85 purchased at exactly the same time and having the exact same string set-up (both racquets were strung a few days earlier).

I have played with the 85 on and off for about 20 years and this has NEVER happened to me. I purchased this particular frame last year from TW, along with the other frame referenced above.

Question #1: Is this just the luck of the draw or are there documented manufacturing issues related to these racquets?

Question #2: Do I have any recourse? I doubt it, right?

Many thanks

soggyramen
08-12-2007, 08:14 PM
maybe something happened on the inside honestly i wouldn't take a chance but if it still plays the same why stop playing with it

FedUp
08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I have a question. How long should we expect people to be using the original ps 85s? Unfortunately, the life of this racquet is coming to an end. I mean an old frame can only be stung so many times before it goes "dead". Unless someone out there is hoarding these frames unused, I think we're going to see the end of the ps 85s. I'm, of course, talking about the original ps 85s (St Vincent et al.)

A.T.S.
08-12-2007, 08:26 PM
That's a pretty old frame. It might have gotten dammage inside because of expanding and contracting in different temperatures and the fibres broke or something. How was it sotred when not in use. Usually rackets should be stored at room temperature and if you know you're not gonna use it for a while(like I mean months at a time) then cut out the strings to relieve pressure off of the frame.

Frank-0
08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Something very similar happened to me but is was with a Pro-Staff 6.0 95. The first time that I heard a different sound I inspected the racquet, but no show of breakage. After a while, at home, I started to slightly tap the racquet until I found out that the crack was on the 6 o-clock position. The racquet was already 10 years old, and it is true what they posted before, that racquet can only be strung so many times.

LafayetteHitter
08-13-2007, 04:45 PM
If you find out it's broken bring it out for your next match and do this. If you drop a service game right when the game is done smash the racquet all over the court to break the opponents concentration before his service game. He won't know the racquet was on it's way out anyways and it will definately break his focus. Then you have a good excuse to order a brand new one here at TW.

soggyramen
08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
If you find out it's broken bring it out for your next match and do this. If you drop a service game right when the game is done smash the racquet all over the court to break the opponents concentration before his service game. He won't know the racquet was on it's way out anyways and it will definately break his focus. Then you have a good excuse to order a brand new one here at TW.

i really like that idea when i get a bad crack in one of my storms i'll remember this

Puffdaddy
08-13-2007, 06:28 PM
i really like that idea when i get a bad crack in one of my storms i'll remember this

Fantastic idea. I love it!

cukoo
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Don't smash it yet. I know the frame is over 10 year old but try contacting Wilson. You never know, maybe they will replace it...?

A.T.S.
08-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Don't smash it yet. I know the frame is over 10 year old but try contacting Wilson. You never know, maybe they will replace it...?
Hehe....that is something that ruins marketing my friend, so it might not work, but, it's worth a try LOL.