PDA

View Full Version : Federer not interested

AM28143
08-12-2007, 05:24 PM
All the credit to Djokovic his groundstrokes were fantastic and his serve has come a long way, but Federer just did not seem as enagaged in the match as usual. On many returns Federer seemed to just lose concentration and miss serves that he usually hammers. Also, after the 2nd set he let Djokovic take control of the rallies again. He should have been aggressive and try to take it Djokovic after the double break set win. Instead it was the contrary and Djokovic took control of the match. I know Federer really wanted to win, but maybe his heart wasn't fully in the match? Kind of like him versus Canas in March.

Breaker
08-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Well...the spoiler thing has been beaten to death so I'll avoid commenting on that. However, the 'not interested' thing just doesn't make sense to me. Fed had FIVE set points in the first set right? Was he just being a nice guy and letting Nole off the hook because he felt it wasn't necessary to win at that point? Also, Djokovic has a much better second serve than both Hewitt and Stepanek, possibly the best in the game. That is why he couldn't "rip" those returns.

IMO the "least interested" Fed looked was in the finals of the French, possibly because Rafa ran him ragged and never backed down much like Djoko did today. Canas did the same twice in March as well, and I'd bet you anything Fed was 'interested' by the time he played Canas in Miami but lost in similar fashion in a third set tiebreak. Fed got outplayed and lost, I'm sure he accepts it and there is really no excuse that can be made other than that.

tennispro11
08-12-2007, 05:37 PM
All the credit to Djokovic his groundstrokes were fantastic and his serve has come a long way, but Federer just did not seem as enagaged in the match as usual. On many returns Federer seemed to just lose concentration and miss serves that he usually hammers. Also, after the 2nd set he let Djokovic take control of the rallies again. He should have been aggressive and try to take it Djokovic after the double break set win. Instead it was the contrary and Djokovic took control of the match. I know Federer really wanted to win, but maybe his heart wasn't fully in the match? Kind of like him versus Canas in March.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. He did not look like he was into the match today at all. His energy level was also way down from what it normally is. He was off his game too so I think that had something to do with it as well. He missed so many forehands too.

AM28143
08-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Well...the spoiler thing has been beaten to death so I'll avoid commenting on that. However, the 'not interested' thing just doesn't make sense to me. Fed had FIVE set points in the first set right? Was he just being a nice guy and letting Nole off the hook because he felt it wasn't necessary to win at that point? Also, Djokovic has a much better second serve than both Hewitt and Stepanek, possibly the best in the game. That is why he couldn't "rip" those returns.

IMO the "least interested" Fed looked was in the finals of the French, possibly because Rafa ran him ragged and never backed down much like Djoko did today. Canas did the same twice in March as well, and I'd bet you anything Fed was 'interested' by the time he played Canas in Miami but lost in similar fashion in a third set tiebreak. Fed got outplayed and lost, I'm sure he accepts it and there is really no excuse that can be made other than that.

I'm not saying he gave points to Djokovic or did not want to play, I'm saying that his heart just wasn't fully there today. The effort, the grunts, the careful footing that usually comes with Federer was missing when the match got rough.

Lsmkenpo
08-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I too noticed that he wasn't acting quite right not just during the finals but during the whole tournament, just didn't look like he was enjoying playing at all, even when he was winning.

Saw him drink his water and just throw the bottle over his shoulder like he was disgruntled and this was after winning an easy set, during the week.

To me he looked like he had something on his mind bothering him during every changeover and just wasn't into the game as much as he has looked in the past.

Noticed that even before the finals.

Bet there was something personally bothering him this week.

tennispro11
08-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I too noticed that he wasn't acting quite right not just during the finals but during the whole tournament, just didn't look like he was enjoying playing at all, even when he was winning.

Saw him drink his water and just throw the bottle over his shoulder like he was disgruntled and this was after winning an easy set, during the week.

To me he looked like he had something on his mind bothering him during every changeover and just wasn't into the game as much as he has looked in the past.

Noticed that even before the finals.

I would say that is a good guess because I noticed it as well.

johnny ballgame
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm not saying he gave points to Djokovic or did not want to play, I'm saying that his heart just wasn't fully there today. The effort, the grunts, the careful footing that usually comes with Federer was missing when the match got rough.

To me, Fed has that hangdog look pretty much every time he is being outplayed (which is not very often of course). Against Nadal in Paris (all three times) and Monte Carlo, and Indian Wells against Canas.

Lsmkenpo
08-12-2007, 06:01 PM
To me, Fed has that hangdog look pretty much every time he is being outplayed (which is not very often of course). Against Nadal in Paris (all three times) and Monte Carlo, and Indian Wells against Canas.

I would agree but i'm telling you he had the same look even when he was winning this week.

There was definately something bothering him

Not trying to make excuses for the lose, i noticed it before the finals.

edmondsm
08-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I just don't agree with the idea that he "wasn't interested". Maybe there was still a little rust after the layoff, combined with the Djoker playing out of site. This the same crap that gets said every time Fed loses. Novak was better today. He forced a lot of errors out of Fed with great D and penetrating groundstrokes. He placed his second serves well...etc.

Do you realize that he beat Roddick and Nadal in the matches prior to this. The kid is a stud. Why can't that just be the explanation, rather than Fed tanking the match or something like it?

BreakPoint
08-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly. He did not look like he was into the match today at all. His energy level was also way down from what it normally is. He was off his game too so I think that had something to do with it as well. He missed so many forehands.

Perhaps he also had a late night outing to Taco Bell last night (like Roddick at Indy)? ;) LOL

AM28143
08-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Mirka seemed to be complaining a lot to the guy next to her (Fed's agent?). Maybe Mirka and Roger are in a quarrel?

Guevin
08-12-2007, 06:04 PM
He was definitely interested as evidenced by his angry "Come on"s on important points and his "Get it RIGHT!" to the lineperson when his challenge showed his shot to be in.

He wanted it really badly. To me he looked to be a step slow at times. I don't know if it's a product of his long layoff or father time, I think it's the former.

edmondsm
08-12-2007, 06:04 PM

Who doesn't get the hangdog look when they are getting beat. He played really well all the way to the 3rd set breaker. He broke back right at the end of the set. When is the last time you saw a guy getting outplayed and look completely thrilled about it?

johnny ballgame
08-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I would agree but i'm telling you he had the same look even when he was winning this week.

There was definately something bothering him

Not trying to make excuses for the lose, i noticed it before the finals.

Gotcha, I didn't watch his matches before the final so I believe you.

Perhaps he was having a little trouble finding motivation in a non-slam event against guys not named Nadal?

Lsmkenpo
08-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I just don't agree with the idea that he "wasn't interested". Maybe there was still a little rust after the layoff, combined with the Djoker playing out of site. This the same crap that gets said every time Fed loses. Novak was better today. He forced a lot of errors out of Fed with great D and penetrating groundstrokes. He placed his second serves well...etc.

Do you realize that he beat Roddick and Nadal in the matches prior to this. The kid is a stud. Why can't that just be the explanation, rather than Fed tanking the match or something like it?

Not trying to say he lost because of this, djoker played great and deserved the win.

I was actually going start a thread about how he was acting a little out of it, even before the finals.

I was watching him every change over, not just during the finals
I saw every match, he wasn't all there mentally..... you could just tell that he had the look of something was bothering him, even when he was winning.

tennispro11
08-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Who doesn't get the hangdog look when they are getting beat. He played really well all the way to the 3rd set breaker. He broke back right at the end of the set. When is the last time you saw a guy getting outplayed and look completely thrilled about it?

For the record he did not play well. He had more unforced errors than winners. That is not Federer playing well. That to me says that he wasn't playing his best. I mean look at how many times he was missing his forehand. When he is playing well he dominates with that. Today he wasn't even close to dominating with that side because he couldn't hit consecutive good shots on his forehand.

johnny ballgame
08-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Who doesn't get the hangdog look when they are getting beat.

Rafa Nadal for one. Seen him many times with positive body language and fists pumping even if he is way down in the set.

BreakPoint
08-12-2007, 06:12 PM
I was watching him every change over, not just during the finals
I saw every match, he wasn't all there mentally..... you could just tell that he had the look of something was bothering him, even when he was winning.
Maybe he was just about to dump Mirka when she told him that she's pregnant? I don't know. :confused:

AM28143
08-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Maybe he was just about to dump Mirka when she told him that she's pregnant? I don't know. :confused:

I think she is pregnant. She is huge, did you see her?

Lsmkenpo
08-12-2007, 06:18 PM

Im headed to cincy, if i see her at the practice courts, i will ask her if she is pregnant, we will get to the bottom of this.:p

tennispro11
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Im headed to cincy, if i see her at the practice courts, i will ask her if she is pregnant, we will get to the bottom of this.:p

Good luck! Hopefully she won't punch you in the face. LOL!

edmondsm
08-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Rafa Nadal for one. Seen him many times with positive body language and fists pumping even if he is way down in the set.

Well we can all agree that there aren't to many guys on tour with the energy that Nadal brings.

I'm just saying that alot of Fed's bad numbers today came from the fact that the Djoker was forcing that out of him. I didn't notice any negativity in Fed's earlier matches, I didn't see the Stephanek one.

Regardless, that was one of the most exciting matches I've seen. And for the record I think Fed was a little ****ed off that he, once again, didn't get a shot at Nadal on harcourts.

johnny ballgame
08-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Well we can all agree that there aren't to many guys on tour with the energy that Nadal brings.

I'm just saying that alot of Fed's bad numbers today came from the fact that the Djoker was forcing that out of him.

Regardless, that was one of the most exciting matches I've seen.

Agree on Nadal.

Disagree somewhat on the errors. Fed was missing returns on second serves, standard rally balls, basic stuff like that. Novak was playing great tennis though.

Agree the match was exciting.