PDA

View Full Version : what's Djokovic's playing style?

Gantz
08-12-2007, 05:57 PM
what is the Djoker's playing style?

Moose Malloy
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Agassi with a bigger serve. and a better mover as well.

saram
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM

***** kickin' all-around good!!!!

fastdunn
08-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Power baseliner who runs very well and has great defense game.

It fits into the main stream prototype of 21 century tennis.

Hewitt, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Davydenko, Robredo, etc,
they all fit into this type, basically.

tennispro11
08-12-2007, 06:05 PM
All court game. Does everything well and doesn't have a weakness at all so to speak. Working on his volleys as well. He will be top notch in a few years.

ShcMad
08-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Djokovic actually reminds me slightly of a 2005 version of Safin. Except with better mental fortitude.

JMS
08-12-2007, 06:07 PM
all courter with solid strokes and no big weaknesses

fastdunn
08-12-2007, 06:10 PM
I was really impressed by Djokovic's composure in the 3rd set.

After he got broken in the 3rd set, he calmly concentrated on his
service game until the tie-breaker when he made a move in Fed's
service point. He also out-smarted Federer by hitting drop shots
to draw him in before Fed does it to him....

He may have ego but has very quiet confidence and great mind for competition.

JMS
08-12-2007, 06:11 PM
I was really impressed by Djokovic's composure in the 3rd set.

After he got broken in the 3rd set, he calmly concentrated on his
service game until the tie-breaker when he made a move in Fed's
service point. Then he out-smarted Federer by hitting a drop shot
to draw him in before Fed does it to him....

then he would make Fed run with those amazing touch lobs that would land just inside the baseline and Fed could not get to it in time to get a reasonable shot on it

Feņa14
08-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Djokovic actually reminds me slightly of a 2005 version of Safin. Except with better mental fortitude.

Yeah, that's a good way to look at it actually. I think Safin had a bit more power but the will to win and mental toughness that Djokovic has means a whole lot more.

fastdunn
08-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Among Djokovic's many physical game assets,
it's still his wheel and defense game
that stand out, IMHO.

BobFL
08-12-2007, 06:25 PM
His style is intelligent tennis which is very uncommon in today`s tennis...

Daniel Thomsen
08-12-2007, 06:28 PM

I wouldnt compare him to Agassi. Agassi took the ball earlier and hit with more power, IMO. I also think Agassi had the best baseline game of all time, specially on hardcourts.
Djokovis isnt as powerfull as other players from the baseline, but is probably the most solid player from the baseline today. Really dosent make any mistakes. He also hits with more spin than most, specially on the forehand.
I was really surprised with his serving during RogersCup. I havent looked at most aces, but Im sure he was in the top two, along with Federer. And I havent seen a guy save so many break points since Sampras. Amazing serving when he faces break points.

Overall, I see big things happening for Djokovic. I know, I really like his game alot.

psamp14
08-12-2007, 06:33 PM

Moose, i agree with you on a similar style of play, but i might put djokavic's style of play somewhat closer to hewitt's style, where he does not take the ball that early and on the rise, but he is more solid off both wings...definitely has a big serve and thats going to win him lots of easy points

angelsdemons8600
08-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Actually, I think Djokovic takes the ball very early off the backhand side. And I think his forehand is the bigger weapon; aside from his great dropshots/touch.

bigfoot910
08-12-2007, 06:42 PM
He is really beginning to develop an All court game. He started out just a baseline basher, but he is really putting the effort into trying to develop a net game. It's not top-shelf yet, but give it some time and I really think he will be one of the best.

RoddickistheMan
08-12-2007, 06:45 PM
I think the best part about djokovic is he doesnt have a big weapon, but he still isnt one of those grinding baseliners that come and go. Hes like a consistent machine with power. Every stroke he has is all textbook. Nothing unorthodox or extreme which makes him very consistent.
________
Buy bubblers (http://bubblers.net/)

fastdunn
08-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Agassi used to be an aggressive baseliner but in the later stage
of his career, he really turned his game into much more conservative
ones (as he gets older and surface conditions slowed).

Mick
08-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I think the best part about djokovic is he doesnt have a big weapon, but he still isnt one of those grinding baseliners that come and go. Hes like a consistent machine with power. Every stroke he has is all textbook. Nothing unorthodox or extreme which makes him very consistent.

Djokovic is also very mentally tough to have kept his composure while beating Roddick, Nadal, and Federer. A player who is not mentally tough probably could not beat both Nadal and Federer because they are the fiercest competitors in the tour right now, especially when they are behind in points.

Challenger
08-12-2007, 07:05 PM

I'd sure as hell consider his 2hbh a big weapon. It's one of the best in the game right now. All his groundstrokes are incredibly clean and he can get great depth off 'em. Something that really came around was his mental focus in matches...he doesn't seem to get tight and lose concentration as much as he used to. Once he's fully accustomed to big match, pressure situations, he'll be even harder to beat.

The Dolphin
08-12-2007, 07:25 PM
I wouldnt compare him to Agassi. Agassi took the ball earlier and hit with more power, IMO. I also think Agassi had the best baseline game of all time, specially on hardcourts.
Djokovis isnt as powerfull as other players from the baseline, but is probably the most solid player from the baseline today. Really dosent make any mistakes. He also hits with more spin than most, specially on the forehand.
I was really surprised with his serving during RogersCup. I havent looked at most aces, but Im sure he was in the top two, along with Federer. And I havent seen a guy save so many break points since Sampras. Amazing serving when he faces break points.

Overall, I see big things happening for Djokovic. I know, I really like his game alot.

yes, agassi truly was the greatest baseliner of all time, that is how he ended up with a winning record against sampras.

oh, wait a minute

sampras was better than him

that must mean...

you, and every other ____ who propagates this stupid propaganda that this guy, who wasn't even the best player in the world, EVER, at any point in his career, was the GREATEST BASELINER OF ALL TIME!!!

I mean, seriously people.

just try Thinking

I mean really try, give it a real go.

The Dolphin
08-12-2007, 07:27 PM
he is basically a more talented version of agassi, he can't volley at all at the moment but give him a few years and he'll learn.

the green god
08-12-2007, 07:33 PM
mecir with a serve.

J-man
08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
He is a very smart baseline player. Don't know what you would exactly call that. I'm sure ba bunch of other posters have named it some thing. He waits for his opprutunites and takes them. Much like Federer does.

The Dolphin
08-12-2007, 07:44 PM
mecir with a serve.

haha, everybody plays like mecir!!
andy murray, who plays nothing like djokovic plays exactly like mecir too apparantly!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

grif
08-12-2007, 07:53 PM
If you want to see Djoko's weapons, watch the last game in the first set when he levels it for 6-6. He hit several HUGE forehand winners in that game. He's just incredibly smart and chooses the correct moments during a match to unload his big groundies, instead of on every single shot. He's a great match player and his smarts is what differentiates him from the typical power hitter who goes for it on every shot and ends up making a shed load of UEs.

Djoko chooses the right moments to unleash his power shots.

127mph
08-12-2007, 08:26 PM

solid all courter

Alex132
08-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Novak is like Nadal of the hard courts...unbelievable defense

Challenger
08-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Novak is like Nadal of the hard courts...unbelievable defense

He made some absolutely crazy "gets" today, that's for sure. But the "Nadal" of hard courts? Until he runs down a ball that should've clearly been a winner, and smacks it back for a 90+ mph winner of his own, then I'd say Djokovic has "Nadal" like defense.

UW_Husky88
08-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I think he is an aggressive CPer. He seems to grind it out and then looks for the oppurtune time to attack.

natasha_nana
08-13-2007, 04:18 AM
According to Roger Federer this is how Nole plays -

"he plays like many other players on tour. You know, I mean, he's steady off the baseline, he's got a pretty good serve But, yeah, I mean, like himself, he says nothing outrageous in his game. Always pretty predictable, which is a good thing. Yeah, you get some good rallies against him because he scrambles well, moves to the ball well, moves the ball around very nicely"

Messarger
08-13-2007, 04:39 AM
But then again, everyone is predictable to Fed. "Nadal is a one dimensional player" and now "....always pretty predictable". Just shows how good his anticipation is, but Djoker is hardly predictable. You dont know when he's going to do his drop shot or when he's going for a winner.

eagle
08-13-2007, 04:42 AM
Kaptain Karl may have to update his thread on Playing Styles to add the Joker.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=58284

Thanks,
eagle

Alexandros
08-13-2007, 05:19 AM
All court ability playing primarily as an aggressive baseliner along with excellent defensive skills and a strong service game. That's the best way I can put it. I mean, the dude has no weaknesses and can play from anywhere on the court but he's most comfortable on the baseline. He can counterpunch when facing stronger hitting/more aggressive opponents but he can also really dictate play if given the opportunity to.

He's a natural in terms of clean striking and feel for the ball and general game perception. Top notch mental strength too.

Basically what Andy Murray and Richard Gasquet could be if they readjusted their own mentalities.

The Dolphin
08-13-2007, 06:33 AM
jimmy connors.

superman1
08-13-2007, 07:15 AM
No weaknesses, he's strong at everything, but he doesn't have a huge weapon. He pretty much just moves the ball around with a decent pace, doesn't miss, and has the ability to finish points at net. He doesn't take the ball extraordinarily early or hit it extraordinarily hard. Baghdatis called him Agassi without the pace of shot, but that's because he uses more spin than Agassi did. He has a very solid two hander so, unlike most players, he doesn't have to run around to hit the forehand every time and sacrifice court.

His biggest strength is between the ears. He has that X factor that all of those great players in the 90's had which allowed them to be CONSISTENT throughout the year, and not just have a hot run here and there.

laurie
08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
I saw the Joker play at Roland Garros in the quarterfinal against Andreev, I was impressed. He has a good first serve and good movement. Hope to see him come to net more, likes to smile as well which means he will get good support throughout his career.

urban
08-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Solid baseliner with a very effective serve. Clean ball striker. Can hit the double hander down the line, which gives Federer trouble. And as he showed at Wimbledon against Kiefer, Baggie and Hewitt, he is mentally strong and doesn't crumble like Gasquet or Davydenko.Interesting: as he grew up, he was coached by Nicola Pilic at Munich. Pilic must be one of all time best coaches. Trained Becker and Stich to peak form in Davis Cup. Also brought up fellow Croatians Ivanisevic and Ancic.

fgzhu88
08-13-2007, 11:17 AM
solid strokes but no wow shot
the thing about him is his mental toughness and rather high IQ.

skiracer55
08-13-2007, 11:52 AM
If you want to see Djoko's weapons, watch the last game in the first set when he levels it for 6-6. He hit several HUGE forehand winners in that game. He's just incredibly smart and chooses the correct moments during a match to unload his big groundies, instead of on every single shot. He's a great match player and his smarts is what differentiates him from the typical power hitter who goes for it on every shot and ends up making a shed load of UEs.

Djoko chooses the right moments to unleash his power shots.

...that's my take, too. He does everything so well and so easily that he doesn't have to take many chances, but when he does, he focuses well and usually makes the big shot. Much more of an intelligent game plan/point construction than any of his contemporaries. His serve is a lot bigger than it looks. His motion is so easy and his toss is so consistent that the ball doesn't look like any kind of a big deal until you see it come off the court. I think the U. S. Open is going to be a very interesting tournament this year, for a change. I wouldn't count Nadal out, even though hardcourt is not his best surface. Roddick ought to be desperate to do something big. Federer will want to put his stamp on the 2007 season. And then you've got Djoko, the usual suspects, and all the other guys out there in the wings...Querry, Isner, and so forth. I predict some great tennis...and a great new champion...Djoko...

jmsx521
08-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I think he plays like Ginepri, but Djokovic obviously has more confidence. Anyone can remember the mid to end of 2005 when Ginepri was ripping the ball from both sides? That’s how I see Djokovic now and his way of hitting the ball resembles Ginepri… Yet, Djokovic has more potential because he is so young, plus, right now he has one of the best (if not the best) drop shots on the ATP. While Ginepri’s good tennis was only a peak, I think Djokovic’s good tennis is only to be getting better and threatening Federer and Nadal’s top positions. As you all saw Djokovic didn’t even play that well against Roddick and he still won. It’s usually Federer and Nadal who are able to win matches when not playing their best…. Now we can add Djokovic as well!