PDA

View Full Version : Just how good can Djokovic be?

harrpau7
08-13-2007, 04:14 AM
I think that he is a future world number one, and in the next few years he will defo be winning the US and Oz opens, and he also has a good shot at the French Open and Wimbo.

Yesterday he proved just how good he will be by defeating Federer, to beat Roddick, Nadal and Federer back to back is an awesome feat.

As of writing, I think he has defeated every1 (except Safin, and maybe Ferrero, but they are past it now).

I could see Djokovic reaching the final of the US Open this year if he isn't on Fed's side of the draw, don't think he cud take Fed in 5 this year, next year though he could.

Thoughts.

saram
08-13-2007, 04:25 AM
He has everything it takes to be #1. Now, we need to see if he can play at this level for an entire season and injury free. Then, we'll know if he has what it takes to be at #1 or not.

my_forehand
08-13-2007, 04:45 AM
here we go again, about how good djokovic is, he beat nadal and roddick, okay all credit to him, but fed was just a having a bad day. plus, it was one match/

Michelangelo
08-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Don't forget Djokovic can "transform" (Sampras, Roddick, Nadal, Hewitt... and even Sharapova). So you're actually dealing with multiple players at once.

Ljubicic for number1
08-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Don't forget Djokovic can "transform" (Sampras, Roddick, Nadal, Hewitt... and even Sharapova). So you're actually dealing with multiple players at once.

:D :D :D :D gold

cghipp
08-13-2007, 09:13 AM
What I like best about Djokovic is his apparent mental toughness and attitude. That puts him in another league than he would be in with his game alone. He's fun to watch and easy to cheer for. Even when he's playing other players I like a lot (like Nadal and Federer), it's hard to root against him!

caulcano
08-13-2007, 09:15 AM
What I like best about Djokovic is his apparent mental toughness and attitude. That puts him in another league than he would be in with his game alone. He's fun to watch and easy to cheer for. Even when he's playing other players I like a lot (like Nadal and Federer), it's hard to root against him!

Agree. He looks like he enjoys being on court.

tennishead93
08-14-2007, 05:56 PM
he may go farther than fed because he is basically safin with a calm head

tennishead93
08-14-2007, 05:56 PM
if he wins this yrs open then i will truly believe he can go farther than fed

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 05:59 PM

You forgot to add that he can run faster, jump higher, hit harder, and pretty much do everything better than anybody else. ;)

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 06:00 PM

LOL! You have my vote for being the Djoker Troll. :)

tricky
08-14-2007, 06:00 PM
I've always thought Joker (and Gasquet) had the game to beat Federer on a non-clay court surface. BUT, give Joker another year before he becomes a serious or perennial threat to the Fed and Nadal at the GS. He has the shot and movement, but remember that it's really this year he's finally put his whole game together. He still needs to take it one more notch (better tactics?) Give the guy time.

daddy
08-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Stamina is the only thing he lacks for now and I think he came over his problems with consistency but this years USO is not there yet for him IMO. Maybe next year...

fastdunn
08-14-2007, 06:24 PM
The 1st time I was impressed with Djokovic was when he was humiliating
Murray. He overpowered Murray physically and played devastating mental
game on Murray. Murray toyed with his usual arrogant drop shot. After
Murray's 1 drop shot, Djokovic bombarded Murray with something like 10
drop-shots repeatedly. That compleletly destroyed Murray's confidence
and frustrated Murray big time. All these cold and mean mental game
from 18 year old (at the time) guy who likes to joke around off court.
In that sense, he has Hewitt's game on steroids without the "com-on"'s
and other antics.

He is the fastest 6'2" guy I've ever seen with a defense game as good
as Nadal or Federer if not better. But sometimes I wonder why he sofly
curl in his 2nd serves and hit many defensive groundies with sorta
"tweener's frame".....

daddy
08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Murray and Nole go a long way back, he dominates Murray Gasquet and Monfils and others from his generation or there about because they know each other well from before and they had respect for him even before he steped up a gear in tennis and got to nr3. I think they need to lighten up and go out there to win against Nole if theya re to do it, thats the problem with them, we in serbia never thought this was the breakthru. I think his real breakthru was french 06 ..

DarkTennis
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
0000000 he is not gonna be anything, probably just one of those one in life time thing he will have so he will be a zero 0000000

M J
08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
I just got back from 4 days in in Cinci, and I watched most of the top players practice. Practice for Djokovic was completely different than everyone else. First of all, he spent an entire half hour on footwork drills before he even picked up a racquet. I did not see anyone else do the things that he was doing. The other big thing that stuck out is how much Djokovic loves tennis. Federer and Nadal, even Roddick, all seemed like they were at work, just doing what they were supposed to be doing. But Djokovic was the first person I have ever seen who seemed more excited about playing tennis than me. It seemed like he had been looking forword to practice all day. He was smiling and laughing the entire time and reacted somehow to almost every rally. It was pretty refreshing.

I am not sure if he is always like that (the last few days have not been too bad for him). If he is motivated entirely by a love for tennis, I could see some pros and cons. I will be exciting to see what he does in the next few years.

lethalfang
08-15-2007, 12:56 AM
here we go again, about how good djokovic is, he beat nadal and roddick, okay all credit to him, but fed was just a having a bad day. plus, it was one match/

The question is how good he CAN be.
When Federer is 30, Djokovic will be just 24. That's the potential we're looking at. He will not likely dominate the way Federer has, but Federer sure ain't gonna win forever.

Fedexeon
08-15-2007, 01:20 AM
I have confidence on Murray. Although he hasn't been playing well since the freaky wrist injury, he will be back soon.

I think that Murray has more variety than Djokovic, but Djokovic has a really good baseline game. His volley is not as good as Federer or Murray.

Please wait until US Open to see whether he is ready to win a grand slam.