PDA

View Full Version : When to switch to a new stick?

Serve em Up
08-13-2007, 05:36 AM
When is it time to switch? How do you know. The raquet companies are always pushing their latest and greatest. I'm not convinced they are that much better.

Aside from the fact that it's fun to be a gear junky, always researching and trying the next raquet, when do you know it's time.

Pros' and other really good players typically play 10 year old frames and stick with them.

I've thought of demoing some frames, but I think it takes an extended period of time to grow accustomed to a frame and really learn it. I don't see the benefit trying one out and going with it.

I'm a 3.5 player trying to get to 4.0. I play a Head LM4 that I string tight 62lbs. My pro says that I hit fine with it. Should I not worry. I'm a baseliner trying to develop a more all court game. I'm learning more approach shots and also serve and volley. I have a big inside out FH, and am getting a pretty good slice BH that I use for high balls. I like to hit a topspin one hand BH for groundies to my BH side.

What do you folks think.

Thor
08-13-2007, 05:43 AM
You switch if:
1)You went "safin' and smashed your racuet
2)Your pro suggests otherwise

If you think you should worry because he thinks you hit fine with your stick and disagree - hire someone else.

nickb
08-13-2007, 05:46 AM
I switch when I find something I like better than my current stick....which is too often!

fuzz nation
08-13-2007, 09:02 AM
If you have confidence in your gear and it's not a distracton for you to play with it, don't fix what isn't broken.

When your confidence with your racquet is just plain shot, it's time to shop around, even if that frame is in good condition, etc. Don't throw your old racquet in the trash - you may fall in love with it again after you try out a couple of other sticks. What's important is to get beyond worrying about what you're swinging and develop how you're swinging. If playing with your LM 4 is fun, I think you're probably in good shape.

If you think you like a new racquet, I think it's smart to try it out on two or even three different occasions before deciding on whether it will be a good fit for you. First impressions can be very deceiving in my experience.

plowmanjoe
08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
you switch when you find out your racquet is not for you anymore. when your style of play changes or your needs change. be careful when you find you like a new racquert better. it might just be because it's new. really demo it seriously and then play with your old stick again. another reason some people switch is because they don't make your old one anymore and you don't have enough.

do not switch because your pro says so. a lot of teaching pros are endorsed and they'll tell you to switch when it benefits them.

krz
08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
I think the best times to switch are when your skills "outgrow" your racket. That 110inch 8oz 9pt head heavy racket might not be as good for you now as it was when you were first begining.

soggyramen
08-13-2007, 11:21 AM
I switch when...

1) the racquet is discontinued and i've run out of spares
2) i've switched my game
3) i get stronger and can handle heavier weight (which i don't have to do that anymore)