PDA

View Full Version : Joker's Touch Volley Lobs were McEnroesque

snapple
08-13-2007, 06:57 AM
The way in which Joker man employed the drop shot followed by delicately placed lobs over his head TWICE in the deciding tie breaker must have been especially humiliating for the mighty Fed. Almost as if Joker was toying with him.

Reminded me of the two exquiste lobs Mac made against Borg in the '81 US Open final. Many folks claim Borg never recovered from those shots, not only in that match but for his career.

grif
08-13-2007, 07:01 AM
The way in which Joker man employed the drop shot followed by a delicately placed lob over his head TWICE in the deciding tie breaker must have been epecially humiliating for the mighty Fed. Almost as if Joker was toying with him.

Reminded me of the two exquiste lobs Mac made against Borg in the '81 US Open final. Many folks claim Borg never recovered from those shots, not only in that match but for his career.

Those dropshot/lob combos were pretty cheeky. I think they irritated Fed. Getting hit by Novak's smash earlier in the match didn't help Fed's mood either.

slice bh compliment
08-13-2007, 07:07 AM
The way in which Joker man employed the drop shot followed by a delicately placed lob over his head TWICE in the deciding tie breaker must have been epecially humiliating for the mighty Fed. Almost as if Joker was toying with him.

Yeah, it's tough to hit a dropshot winner against a Borg or a Federer, but those were the perfect follow-up to the dropshot.

I can almost hear Johnny Mac himself saying, "The youngster there, exhibiting some nice feel around the net on that lob-volley. Jockvitch has got a lot of maturity packed into that lanky 20 year-old body, and he's improving by the minute.''

Made Roger try for a tweener on that last one, just like on that long day in Melbourne a couple of yrs ago against Safin.

But you're right, these two drop-lob combinations Djoko just played were far more poignant.
'Cause, now, clearly Federer is retiring.;)

slice bh compliment
08-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Those dropshot/lob combos were pretty cheeky. I think they irritated Fed. Getting hit by Novak's smash earlier in the match didn't help Fed's mood either.

Very good point. Roger gets irritated a lot, but normally, he clears his head and gets out of it, like at the Wimbledon final with those challenges (and other things) that did NOT go his way.

Oh well, he was gracious and congratulatory at the handshake. Two great players there....that matchup is worthy of any GS semi or final for sure. Wonder if Federer got ****ed off in the locker-room after? Or took it in stride...reminding himself this was the Canadian Open....and the real thing starts in NY at the end of this month.

ionutzakis
08-13-2007, 07:18 AM
so when will Fed announce his retirement? Before or after the US Open?

snapple
08-13-2007, 07:20 AM
so when will Fed announce his retirement? Before or after the US Open?

The real question is will Fed ever regain the same aura of invincibility that he has previously enjoyed. Not likely.

Roger_Federer.
08-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Just wait until after the US Open to say anything.

slice bh compliment
08-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Just wait until after the US Open to say anything.

I like it. I can't wait 'til the Open starts.