PDA

View Full Version : judge a racket on playing free or on playing for points

PackardDell
08-13-2007, 06:57 AM
When deciding to choose a racket should I make that decision based on how it played when playing free or how it played when playing for points/NTRS rating.

origmarm
08-13-2007, 07:39 AM
This is actually not a bad question. I was thinking this the other day in that I play well with my PS 6.0s and always have in free hitting but not so well in matches. My LM Radicals are much better in matches but I feel they lack precision in free hitting. Strange isn't it.

Personally I believe this is mental and I've just convinced myself of it and that it really shouldn't make a difference so intrigued to hear what others have to say here

chris1992
08-13-2007, 11:00 AM
always on playing free as it is when it is only your shots you are practicing at a comfortable level and not when some guy is blasting the ball at you and you have all the mental worries. personally anyway.

Voltron
08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I do both, it's good to see how you can do with a racquet when you're under pressure, that's how I tested my RDS 001 Mids. The best thing you can do IMHO, is practice with them for a day, then play a tournament with the frame, I did that with my 001 Mids actually, and it worked quite well. (I even made it to the finals :))

Keifers
08-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Based on the outfit I'm gonna wear that day?... :D

This is actually not a bad question. I was thinking this the other day in that I play well with my PS 6.0s and always have in free hitting but not so well in matches. My LM Radicals are much better in matches but I feel they lack precision in free hitting. Strange isn't it.

Personally I believe this is mental and I've just convinced myself of it and that it really shouldn't make a difference so intrigued to hear what others have to say here
I have similar experiences with my (too many) racquets, especially mid and OS versions of the same stick. The mids are definitely more precise (and more demanding of good attention and technique), and the OS frames are more comfy and relaxed to play with. (*)

Very best racquet for pure hitting pleasure? PS Midsize (85), for sure.

(*Sorry about the bad grammar!)

Safina
08-13-2007, 11:53 AM
If you are playing in competitive matches/tournaments, you have to go with what works in that environment.

If you play great with a demanding racquet when someone is feeding you, it might not work out quite so well when playing a person trying NOT to hit it to you and you are stretched out on the run.

Took me a while to find the right racquet, but it can be done.
My mind used to be consumed with finding the "perfect racquet".
It is like a great weight has been lifted once you find a racquet that
allows you to play your best.

Nuke
08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
But if you judge a racquet by your result in match play, then you might think a racquet is good just because you beat your opponent. But who knows, you might have crushed them with the old racquet on that particular day. When playing free, you can concentrate on how the racquet feels and performs, instead of concentrating on winning points.

Safina
08-13-2007, 12:06 PM
well, not based on 1 match... and hopefully when playing a worthy opponent.. maybe one you have played before several times.

soggyramen
08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
100% mental in free hitting i like using my PD so i don't have to hit out as much but during matches i like using my storms

PackardDell
08-15-2007, 02:25 AM
kick

34564356w575275115616527

origmarm
08-15-2007, 02:59 AM
kick

34564356w575275115616527

? (10chars)

nickb
08-15-2007, 03:09 AM
I like to just have a hit with the racquet over a week and compare it to my other racquets....I wont use it in a match unless I switch to the racquet and have more than 1.

PackardDell
08-15-2007, 05:34 AM
? (10chars)

yes yes ;)

Gemini
08-15-2007, 05:42 AM
This really doesn't make sense. Whether you're just out hitting "free" or playing a competitive match, the racquet is essentially the same. It doesn't change in nature between those two situations. The only change is in the player using the racquet.

You miss a passing shot in a match that you were able to blow by your partner in a casual hitting session. The only critical element that's changed is the amount of tension/pressue YOU as a player feel. The racquet has zero to do with it.

So maybe the original poster should re-word the question and ask if he/she should choose a racquet based on how well he/she plays with the racquet in free hitting versus match play. When free hitting/practicing, you should try to simulate match play as much as possible to be able to evaluate a racquet.

ubel
08-15-2007, 07:39 AM
If the racquet is lagging behind what you're expecting of it, you'll know come match time when you're put to the test. When you're just free hitting/practicing you won't be as intense or focused, so you won't notice any glaring problems you might have with the racquet. I actually read a great post or article about racquets a month or two ago about how a guy loved his POG but quickly realized in match play that it was basically handicapping him, so he was forced to switch to a different racquet. He came to the sad conclusion that even though he loved it, playing with it meant knowingly playing on one leg. I'll see if I can dig that one up...

hyrulemaster
08-15-2007, 08:39 AM

Do you think so? I use LM Radical MP (no customization) and am thinking of switching to the PS 6.0 95, because all of the greeat feedback it's been getting. Given that you use both, how do you think they compare? Would you recommend a switch? I'm pretty sure I'm good at generating my own power and I have a 1hbh. I would be using it for high school (and maybe tournament) play. What would you think? How do the two rackets compare?

Personally whenever I play with anything other than a LM Radical the other racket always feels a lot more stable and consistent, and I think otheres here think that way too, but it may just be me.

origmarm
08-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Do you think so? I use LM Radical MP (no customization) and am thinking of switching to the PS 6.0 95, because all of the greeat feedback it's been getting. Given that you use both, how do you think they compare? Would you recommend a switch? I'm pretty sure I'm good at generating my own power and I have a 1hbh. I would be using it for high school (and maybe tournament) play. What would you think? How do the two rackets compare?

Personally whenever I play with anything other than a LM Radical the other racket always feels a lot more stable and consistent, and I think otheres here think that way too, but it may just be me.

You are correct about the stability, this is why I leaded it up and it improved a lot. I would suggest you try this. I put about 25g of lead at the top of the handle just above the grip, and some in the handle and a little at 3 and 9. This is extreme though so find the right level/spot for yourself. A lot of people I know who have LM Rads put some at 3 and 9 purely for the stability.

Essentially I added a lot of weight (about 1.5ounces) and made it more headlight.

The main differences I see are weight (LM Radical stock feels like a toy to me), balance (the 6.0 is more headlight or feels that way), power (the 6.0 has less), control (the 6.0 has more), feel (again the 6.0 has more) and tolerance of mishits (the 6.0 is unforgiving of bad technique). In my opinion its a great racquet but you need the fitness and the technique. I lack the fitness now and as such during hitting its great but during a match I suffer as the footwork is not right anymore.

There is a good review here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP03.html and I agree with a lot of breakpoint's comments. He compares it to his 6.0 95 a fair bit.

I have found by weighting up the LM I get the forgiving sweetspot/head of the LM, but I don't sacrifice too much feel and get a decent weight

VS_Power
08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
work on mental toughness, racket is not the solution

Keifers
08-15-2007, 09:38 AM

If you can take advantage of TW's demo program and try the 6.0 95, you could compare the two side-by-side. I demoed the 6.0 a couple of years ago and my hitting partners immediately commented on the difference in my shots. I liked the string job in the demo racquet so much, I ordered mine the same way and have never changed from it (Wilson Reaction 16 @ 62 lbs).

dacrymn
08-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Since I believe that accuracy and power and things come from the player, as long as you have GENERALLY the criteria in a racquet that you like, I would concentrate the MOST on how it feels, something you can't change and is unique to every racket. The best way to gauge that is to free hit.