PDA

View Full Version : Regripping my prince triple threat bandit

Amscray
08-13-2007, 07:12 AM
I want to regrip my triple threat bandit with tourna grip, but I don't want to mess up the weighting (it's already 3 points head-heavy, I wouldn't want to make it even more so) by taking off the old grip that came with the racquet. The old grip is much thicker and seems to be heavier as well. Should I just put the tourna grip on over the old grip? I'm afraid that if I do this, the grip will get too large. What should I do?

P.S. I'm kind of new to this gripping thing, so yeah. I only want to do this because my friend suggested that I use an overgrip, and he says that tourna grip is good.

TheShaun
08-13-2007, 07:32 AM
an over grip typically goes over the regular grip. and if you have really sweaty hands then tourna grip is the best! don't worry about the size too much, it's not much of a difference.

Keifers
08-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I would be cautious about replacing the original grip on your Bandit with (one or more) overgrips -- for the reasons you've stated, and other reasons as well.

One of the nice things about applying an overgrip is you can vary the increase in thickness by varying how much you overlap the overgrip as you wrap it. For minimal increase, use very little overlap, or none at all. (There will be some thickness increase, of course.)

Give it a try. Have fun experimenting.

Good luck.

davey
08-13-2007, 09:47 PM
If you remove the grip you will find a large piece of lead tape, at least there was under the original grips on both of my old bandits. The bandit has a one piece construction so there is no molded pallet and the handle is hollow.

When you see how thin the walls of the handle are it will make you appreciate just how strong is graphite.

Steve Huff
08-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Tournagrips ARE overgrips. They are meant to be put on OVER the grip. Try it.

ps60
08-16-2007, 09:23 AM
yeah, Prince made terrible HH racket and put lead tape under their grip. i've got my Air Warrior that way too.

Hard to imagine such cheap cheap production cost us so much.

netman
08-16-2007, 04:50 PM
You can always add strips of lead tape to the handle pallet before you wrap it. Though I agree that you should have a real grip as your first wrap.

BTW, the Bandit has a trap door butt cap that makes it very easy to add weight inside the handle. I use to weight mine up considerably to get them 8 pts head light by wrapping fishing weights in coach's tape and stuffing them inside the handle. You can really fine tune the Bandit OS weight and balance this way.

davey
08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
You can always add strips of lead tape to the handle pallet before you wrap it. Though I agree that you should have a real grip as your first wrap.

BTW, the Bandit has a trap door butt cap that makes it very easy to add weight inside the handle. I use to weight mine up considerably to get them 8 pts head light by wrapping fishing weights in coach's tape and stuffing them inside the handle. You can really fine tune the Bandit OS weight and balance this way.

I agree, though I had a couple of the mids. The bandit is made for customization with lead tape. I leaded mine up so that it was 12-12.5 oz and head light and it played great. Lots of power and stability.