PDA

View Full Version : Prince O3 Hybrid Tour

OneHander
08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
This racket has been pretty quiet in terms of pub and people talking about it. It looks good on paper as a players racket. I am looking at changing rackets (updating from a Prince Graphite II). Right now I am looking at the Prince Speedport Tour, Yonex RDS 002 Tour, and Prince O3 Hybrid Tour. I would appreciate input. I will demo all of them of course.

JMS
08-13-2007, 09:17 AM
I had an extensive demo with the 03 Hybrid Tour, and I can't exlain it, it just feels different, from the headshape to everything. But, once you get used to it, which takes some time, it can be a solid stick. as i mentioned you just have to adjust to it. Don't abandon it quickly, i almost made the switch to it.

fuzz nation
08-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I've had a couple of Prostaff 6.1 Classics for quite a while and after many demos over the last two years, the O3 Hybrid Tour has been one of the few current frames that really got my attention. I felt completely capable with it from the baseline and up at net after two long outings with two different individual frames of that model. Power, control, feel, and spin were all right there for me and both demos I tried had firm stringbeds - it seems that if the strings get flimsy in these frames, they really spray the ball around.

The listed swingweight of the Hybrid Tour seems to be way too high so don't be afraid of its heft. The RDS 002 Tour is one of the only other current frames that I have some curiosity about and if you get a chance to compare them, I'd be happy to read any postings on how your trials go.

dave333
08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
I hit with my coaches o3 ht. It was nice. Good plough through, didn't feel as heavy as it was, plenty of spin and pop. Nice sweetspot too.

I dunno if I could swing it just as well in a 3rd set of a tough match though.

OneHander
08-13-2007, 12:34 PM
What kept you from making the switch?

I had an extensive deom with the 03 Hybrid Tour, and I can't exlain it, it just feels different, from the headshape to everything. But, once you get used to it, which takes some time, it can be a solid stick. as i mentioned you just have to adjust to it. Don't abandon it quickly, i almost made the switch to it.

Bottle Rocket
08-13-2007, 01:56 PM
A comparison between a very well known racket and the HT->

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=114133&highlight=

Lots of opinions->

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=99311&highlight=

Run a search, you will find all kinds of information. Most of the threads are from nearly a year ago when the racket came out. I think the general consensus is that the Tennis Warehouse review sums it up pretty well. I think it is a great racket for the "modern" game. If you hit flatter and want a lower powered frame, you're looking in th wrong direction. If you want a powerful, extremely spinny, and very manuverable frame, it should be at the top of your demo list. It is one of my favorite rackets.

Plan on using a polyester string with it, to "tame" the string bed.

drpepper4590
08-13-2007, 02:02 PM
the best i can do is to offer a comparrison to the m-fil 200. I demoed the o3 hybrid tour and hated it the first time. I tried it without a dampener and foundd the stringbed to be too loose. However the second time, i used a dampener and if felt a lot firmer, it took about 15 minutes to get familiar with the feel and it felt pretty good. It has more pop than the 200 and better access to spin. It's on the lighter end for a "tour" racquet as is the speedport tour which i have yet to try. Though i am very anxious to. It's got a nice feel at net and is pretty easy to drive the ball into the corners with. You should seriously consider demoing it throught the TW demo progam along with the speedport tour. Another similar racquet i though was the Yonex RDS 002 tour, however the yonex had even more pop, to me, than the o3 hybrid tour. That may have beendue to the ancient strings that were on the yonex whin i demoed it though

JMS
08-13-2007, 02:14 PM
What kept you from making the switch?
the aeropro just fit my game a little better

snoflewis
08-13-2007, 05:04 PM
i had 03HTs when they first came out....on paper, yeah it looks good...on par w/ the n6.1 95.

on the court...it's a completely different story. if you thought PDs and APDs had no control...it's on par w/ those two rackets. the ball no matter what tends to launch up...the racket has an incredibly awkward feel...and just doesnt work well. it was really hyped, but there's a reason why no one talks about it.

Court_Jester
08-13-2007, 05:26 PM
This seems to be the proverbial red-headed stepchild among the O3 racquets. Hardly anyone talks about, much less own them (I think, I'm guessing). Even Prince doesn't list its stringing instructions and TW doesn't carry its grommet sets

These comments aside, I think this racquet has an excellent feel, unlike my previous experience with O3 Tour MP (which I hate with passion). I started out not liking this racquet because of its stiffness made it quite harsh on the arm but the feel of hitting its sweetspot made me think that this was worth a second look and maybe a third. Once I became familiar with the location of its sweetspot, its stiffness became a non-issue. I hit with moderate spin with the FXP Prestige but with the O3HT, I'm surprised by the amount of spin that I can generate with this racquet. It's a very stable racquet and despite its relatively high swingweight, it's actually quite easy to swing. While others have already said that it's quite lively, the O3HT is still relatively low-powered as it made me torque my waist the most. My lower back gets quite a workout with this to generate ample racquet speed.

It's a too bad that people don't talk about it more often. It's a very stable racquet with an excellent feel and tons of spin behind it. Blasphemous as it may sound, I'm actually seriously considering switching from the Prestige to this one. :p

drpepper4590
08-13-2007, 09:30 PM
i usually string my racquets at about 70, how would stringing about the recomended tension effect the frame integrity and durability of the o3's?

snoflewis
08-13-2007, 09:36 PM
it's under more stress...so it wouldnt last as long. people who string that high have had their rackets eventually collapse inwards on them...

gotwheels
08-14-2007, 08:24 AM
This frame can really be a string eater, depending on your play style. Prince should give these frames to Juniors, just for the string sales! The frame is stiff, so make sure you have good stroke mechanics.

BiGGieStuFF
08-14-2007, 08:31 AM
2 numbers 18x20 =). Especially if you're a flat hitter who can generate their own spin when needed. The control on this specific frame is phenomenal when compared to the 16x18.

16x18 for heavy topspinners for sure but if you do hit with a lot of spin I think there are other frames that may compliment you.

I just thought about it too but when my grommets go how in the world and I gonna find grommets for my 18x20's. Dilemma dilemma :(

OneHander
08-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I hit the ball pretty flat of the ground. Given the experience that some of you talk about with this racket and the control, am I better off trying this racket with the 18X20 string pattern or should I stick with trying the 16X18?

ledor
08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Do you really like big fat holes in your racquet?

OneHander
08-14-2007, 10:42 AM
The holes don't matter. What matters is how the racket feels. I am not watching the holes when I play.

Do you really like big fat holes in your racquet?

Richie Rich
08-14-2007, 11:00 AM
i have 2 o3 hybrid tours and they are pretty good frames. they are a good option for those who don't like the 6.1 16x18 for whatever reason. they are light enough to swing quickly but still have good mass. yes, stiff - i find it borders on jarring sometimes. powerful. very spinny - sometimes too much. the string pattern just feels so open and lacks a little directional control.

IMO, the racquet would do better if the 18x20 version was released to the general public.

BiGGieStuFF
08-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I hit the ball pretty flat of the ground. Given the experience that some of you talk about with this racket and the control, am I better off trying this racket with the 18X20 string pattern or should I stick with trying the 16X18?

Definitely 18x20. Only problem is finding one. Too bad you're not in the Houston area I'd let you try mine out. Of course you'll be under major observation. I just wish Prince would release this frame publicly. It's the best racket I have played with. My opinion of course which means nothing to anyone else unless you play just like me.

drpepper4590
08-14-2007, 01:13 PM
are they ever going to release the 18x20