PDA

View Full Version : Giving up on Roddick? ...more ways than one.

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-13-2007, 08:22 AM
No, I realize the guy probably will never beat the top players again, but I mean appreciating him as a good sportsman. I have tried over the years to find things to like about him, like the jokes, candid behavior off the court, etc, but he just acts a jerk too often.

Last week I remember him clearly giving a "F U" to one of the linesmen after getting a bad call on his serve. Was that really necessary? That was after he just won his service game. Bad calls happen. That's life, Andy. Get over it. He's just like that certain other American guy we all knew in the 80's (not his coach), except Roddick isn't that talented.

Nastase
08-13-2007, 08:42 AM
I cannot stand that Roddick is the face of American tennis. It seems Roddick has to hate his opponent and get upset at everyone just to get thru his matches. I think Connors will only help him to be a bigger jackass. i know pro tennis is a different level of intensity, but I hope some nice guys like S Querry, S jenkins, and Isner can knock him off.

SB
08-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I cannot stand that Roddick is the face of American tennis. It seems Roddick has to hate his opponent and get upset at everyone just to get thru his matches. I think Connors will only help him to be a bigger jackass. i know pro tennis is a different level of intensity, but I hope some nice guys like S Querry, S jenkins, and Isner can knock him off.

This made me LOL coming from someone with the handle "Nastase." ;)

Azzurri
08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
I really and truly believe that Roddick has a very low IQ or below average intelligence. H probably struggled through whatever schooling he had. Its obvious when you watch him play and he is getting beat. He has not ability to think out there.

Is he the biggest jerk in American tennis history?? No, but at this point he is America's biggest name and for him to act in the manner his has acted in his whole career I can only hope he just goes away. He makes me sick.

rommil
08-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Andy Roddick's game is like a bully. He plows with it and works on some people but doesn't work on people with power AND intelligence to unhinge him. I really tried to look at angles to like the guy I(he has a very good fighting spirit that I relent) but nothing works for me. He gets physically and emotionally spastic, he argues incessantly for a long time and he tries to look for acknowledgement( see after he hits a good shot and the way he looks up and around the crowd).When a call goes against him, he acts like an oppressed person and makes it sound like the officials are conspiring against him. My biggest gripe is how Roddick argues over and over again on a certain point and never lets go. Sorry i just don't like Roddick. I have found other better and more enjoyable players to cheer for.

illinoisTennis
08-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Andy Roddick's game is like a bully. He plows with it and works on some people but doesn't work on people with power AND intelligence to unhinge him. I really tried to look at angles to like the guy I(he has a very good fighting spirit that I relent) but nothing works for me. He gets physically and emotionally spastic, he argues incessantly for a long time and he tries to look for acknowledgement( see after he hits a good shot and the way he looks up and around the crowd).When a call goes against him, he acts like an oppressed person and makes it sound like the officials are conspiring against him. My biggest gripe is how Roddick argues over and over again on a certain point and never lets go. Sorry i just don't like Roddick. I have found other better and more enjoyable players to cheer for.

I agree. Roddick's is not the type of tennis I want to watch or cheer for. From watching on TV, I can say he acts like a jerk.

Lleytian3
08-13-2007, 11:02 AM
wow this thread is badly mistaken. it should be a "lets bash andy roddick" or instead "FU to roddick".

cmon guys give it up. dont you guys have any more to talk about than to bash the #4 player in the world. he acts cocky and sometimes act like a jerk on the court but he is a nice down to earth guy off the court. i know this because i actually talked and had a conversation with him and james blake, with no cameras around and it was just a bunch of nobody people.

he doesnt even act that bad on court, sure he has a few incidients but has he ever thrown a racquet at a ball kid/linesman. pro's in the past have. has he ever violently thrown his racquet in the crowd out of frustration?? has he ever hit a ball directly in the crowd out of frustration. nope. all he does like any other pro has done is chew out the chair umpire and argue with linesman. who hasnt done that, roddick has NOT done anything serious that endangers anyone.

and talking about how smart he is. everybody that knows tennis, know that is 50% mental and 50% physical, anybody that disputes that obviously does not know the sport at all. so saying roddick has a low IQ and now he is #4 in the world, is ironic in-of-it-self.

Challenger
08-13-2007, 11:14 AM
wow this thread is badly mistaken. it should be a "lets bash andy roddick" or instead "FU to roddick".

I sorta expected this even before clicking the thread. People here really hate Roddick with a passion.

I won't make excuses for his misbehaviors, but really...you take the good with the bad in people. He may act like an arse at times to officials, but that still doesn't take away what he's given to charities and what a fun guy he is off the court. I can't think of a more witty interviewee in tennis right now.

Some people just like to hate him for whatever reason (American, loud, confident, swears, etc.), and only focus on the negative news. That's fine with me, so long as they realize what a bitter and spiteful bunch they are.

yourmom08
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
i saw him punch a kitten in the face on court once

Dedans Penthouse
08-13-2007, 11:19 AM
I cannot stand that Roddick is the face of American tennis. It seems Roddick has to hate his opponent and get upset at everyone just to get thru his matches. I think Connors will only help him to be a bigger jackass. i know pro tennis is a different level of intensity, but I hope some nice guys like S Querry, S jenkins, and Isner can knock him off.I like your username; the irony is delicious. ;-)

Objective Danny
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Roddick is an undiscipline, big mouth, pot belly, lout. He has the charisma of a net-court. Everytime he stop ball bashing and attempt a two hand backhand down the line he look like a bull in a china shop. He need to bow at the feet of all around good guy, James Blake, and learn some humility.

If he didn't have a 140mph serve he'd be working in an oil field in Austin, Texas.

KBalla08
08-13-2007, 11:39 AM

cmon guys give it up. dont you guys have any more to talk about than to bash the #4 player in the world. he acts cocky and sometimes act like a jerk on the court but he is a nice down to earth guy off the court. i know this because i actually talked and had a conversation with him and james blake, with no cameras around and it was just a bunch of nobody people.

he doesnt even act that bad on court, sure he has a few incidients but has he ever thrown a racquet at a ball kid/linesman. pro's in the past have. has he ever violently thrown his racquet in the crowd out of frustration?? has he ever hit a ball directly in the crowd out of frustration. nope. all he does like any other pro has done is chew out the chair umpire and argue with linesman. who hasnt done that, roddick has NOT done anything serious that endangers anyone.

and talking about how smart he is. everybody that knows tennis, know that is 50% mental and 50% physical, anybody that disputes that obviously does not know the sport at all. so saying roddick has a low IQ and now he is #4 in the world, is ironic in-of-it-self.

ya i am getting sick of this Roddick-bashing 24/7 on this board... hes #4 in the world... when u get that high, u have the right to criticize him... there are far worse players we can talk about, and all ppl on these boards want to focus on is Roddick.............

Nastase
08-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Nastase..er, yes well...he at least had brilliant talent....he just forgot to practice as one collegaue said about him. But he had a good sense of humor 90% of the time and fun with it many times...Roddick doesnt have his talent or a sense of fun IMO. delicious irony..can I use that one?

SB
08-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Nastase..er, yes well...he at least had brilliant talent....he just forgot to practice as one collegaue said about him. But he had a good sense of humor 90% of the time and fun with it many times...Roddick doesnt have his talent or a sense of fun IMO. delicious irony..can I use that one?

Yes you may. I thought it was funny, too. :)

jetlee2k
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
I really really want to like Roddick (as a tennis player or as an american).. man.. the guy is too too dumb.. He is just a serving machine beside that he can't think on the court.. If his serve went off.. he's done.. He quickly picked up the ball and hit hard & harder without any thinking.. His stupidity make me dislike him.. I missed the old American players.. forget about the great ones, a top 100 ranking player at least do some thinking out there or at least trying to think.. Roddick is just clueless..

FEDEXP
08-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Agreed.......

Lleytian3
08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Roddick is an undiscipline, big mouth, pot belly, lout. He has the charisma of a net-court. Everytime he stop ball bashing and attempt a two hand backhand down the line he look like a bull in a china shop. He need to bow at the feet of all around good guy, James Blake, and learn some humility.

If he didn't have a 140mph serve he'd be working in an oil field in Austin, Texas.

wow, goin by your logic of the 140mp serve then that means people like karlovic, jochaim johannson, goran, john isner, all shouldnt be playing tennis then. that even means the one of the greatest of all time pete sampras shouldnt have played either huh, since he pretty much how the biggest/best serve ever in tennis. they all should be working at some oil field huh. great logic buddy. thats some great thinking

well im sorry roddick doesnt have quite the forehand you do, or the superp backhand you do. yep, im sure roddick should retire since he doenst have the tremendous groundstrokes you have. you have an incredible sense of humor. please, i really want to know what kind of drugs you do, hey maybe if i smoke some of your stuff, i can teach tiger woods how to play golf.

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not saying the guy has no talent. His serve is one of the best on tour. But his on court behavior is immature for a "role model." Do you guys think that's acceptable because he contributes to charities, just part of the show, or what? I singled him out b/c he's a fellow countryman. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call James Blake a jerk, probably b/c he doesn't say FU to the linespeople!

If you'd like me to pick on other people I'll suggest Nicholas "racquet tosser" Kiefer, Andy "my own worst enemy" Murray, Lleyton "trash talker" Hewitt, etc. Ok Safin's racquet smashing is destructive and immature, but he doesn't direct his anger at other people (not FU's anyway). That is my point - accept that YOU are the reason you lose the match, etc and treat your opponent and everyone else with some respect. If you blow up, it's ok to smash your racquets, but it's not ok to say FU to someone who's just trying to do their job.

saram
08-13-2007, 01:48 PM
I really and truly believe that Roddick has a very low IQ or below average intelligence. H probably struggled through whatever schooling he had. Its obvious when you watch him play and he is getting beat. He has not ability to think out there.

Is he the biggest jerk in American tennis history?? No, but at this point he is America's biggest name and for him to act in the manner his has acted in his whole career I can only hope he just goes away. He makes me sick.

Have you ever listened to him talk during an interview? He is highly intelligent. I am not an Andy fan, but don't put down a guys intelligence or IQ when you have no way of knowing or have jumped onto the bandwagon of bashing Andy.

I'll bet when he won the US Open, you were his biggest fan....:confused:

tykrum
08-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Listen, I like Andy Roddick as much as anyone - I certainly cheer harder for him than anyone else on tour - but when you make statements like this, it really hurts your credibility even if you have talked to him. Roddick has thrown his racquet numerous times, even if they are just usually the left handed slam it-by-the-throat type that aren't as damaging. Who on tour throws their racquet at the crowd? He definitely has hit the ball into the crowd plenty of times, I was at Indy this summer and he hit a ball over the entire stadium! (It was actually pretty cool if you ask me.)

Roddick's on court behavior really is inexcusable, and it would be nice if he could clean up his act, if only for the fact that it brings down his game. He gets hung up on perceived wrongs and then lets it get to his focus.

Lleytian3
08-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Listen, I like Andy Roddick as much as anyone - I certainly cheer harder for him than anyone else on tour - but when you make statements like this, it really hurts your credibility even if you have talked to him. Roddick has thrown his racquet numerous times, even if they are just usually the left handed slam it-by-the-throat type that aren't as damaging. Who on tour throws their racquet at the crowd? He definitely has hit the ball into the crowd plenty of times, I was at Indy this summer and he hit a ball over the entire stadium! (It was actually pretty cool if you ask me.)

Roddick's on court behavior really is inexcusable, and it would be nice if he could clean up his act, if only for the fact that it brings down his game. He gets hung up on perceived wrongs and then lets it get to his focus.

hey man, can you read. did i ever say, he never threw his racquet. please read carefully, i said he never ever threw his racquet at a ball kid/linesman or violently into the crowd, like becker has. boris has violentry thrown his racquet in the crowd out of frustration. and coria threw his racquet at a ball kid though he it was a accident, he flew it at the wall and it happened to hit the ball kid. thats jus off the top of my head, im shur they are other examples

i really hope your not talkin about him hitting the ball into the stands after the match. over the entire stadium, is not violently in the crowd, where it culd seriously injure someone. if roddick has in fact done that, please prove an specific example instead of saying "plenty of times".

next time you want to criticize me for saying something buddy the very least you could do is READ my entry correctly.

tykrum
08-13-2007, 03:04 PM
hey man, can you read. did i ever say, he never threw his racquet. please read carefully, i said he never ever threw his racquet at a ball kid/linesman or violently into the crowd, like becker has. boris has violentry thrown his racquet in the crowd out of frustration. and coria threw his racquet at a ball kid though he it was a accident, he flew it at the wall and it happened to hit the ball kid. thats jus off the top of my head, im shur they are other examples

i really hope your not talkin about him hitting the ball into the stands after the match. over the entire stadium, is not violently in the crowd, where it culd seriously injure someone. if roddick has in fact done that, please prove an specific example instead of saying "plenty of times".

next time you want to criticize me for saying something buddy the very least you could do is READ my entry correctly.

Honestly, I guess I didn't understand your post because I thought you had mistyped what you meant to say. No players seriously fire their ball line-drive style at the crowd or and the cases where players throw their racquet at the crowd/linespeople are extremely rare (and likely mostly accidents) and should be thrown out of any discussion about bad behavior on court. I do remember Andre Agassi hitting a purposefully long serve at a line judge that he thought was making bad calls against him in the Wimbledon semis in 2000 I believe, which another example of extreme on court bad behavior that rarely ever happens. Bringing those examples into your defense of Roddick to me is akin to saying Bush isn't that bad of a war-time president because he never used a nuclear bomb on the enemy.

Roddick's on-court arguing, swearing, and ball abuse by hitting the ball anywhere after a point are what gets me frustrated about him. Those are the main things that pro players do on court, and Roddick does quite a bit more than his fair share.

bank5
08-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm a Roddick fan because he's pretty much carried US men's singles tennis on his back for the last so many years. His Davis Cup record is outstanding and he might lead the US to win the Davis Cup this year. He's the last US men's player to win a major since when??

However, I do wish we had another American to root for who has even just a slight chance to win a grand slam. It's kind of depressing.

Lleytian3
08-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Honestly, I guess I didn't understand your post because I thought you had mistyped what you meant to say. No players seriously fire their ball line-drive style at the crowd or and the cases where players throw their racquet at the crowd/linespeople are extremely rare (and likely mostly accidents) and should be thrown out of any discussion about bad behavior on court. I do remember Andre Agassi hitting a purposefully long serve at a line judge that he thought was making bad calls against him in the Wimbledon semis in 2000 I believe, which another example of extreme on court bad behavior that rarely ever happens. Bringing those examples into your defense of Roddick to me is akin to saying Bush isn't that bad of a war-time president because he never used a nuclear bomb on the enemy.

Roddick's on-court arguing, swearing, and ball abuse by hitting the ball anywhere after a point are what gets me frustrated about him. Those are the main things that pro players do on court, and Roddick does quite a bit more than his fair share.

Obviously they do happen and obvioulsy they happen a lot more than you think. of course no players do those horrible things on purpose but they do it nonetheless which we obviously have to include. why should they be thrown out of discussion just because it was an accident. well i guess going by your bush example, we can then say "o ok, sorry we invaded you iraq we thought you had nuclear weapons, our bad". but it was an accidnet right so we can jus throw that out of discussion too. cmon now man

ill admit some bad court behavior are inexcusable, but others are fine. examples are like safins racquet throwing and roddicks on court swearing. they add color to the game of tennis which we so utterly need. we need them to express their passion for the game. as much as we need to hear rafael nadal's VAMOS and lleyton hewitt's CMON, we need to see players get frustrated with themselves and do what they do. tennis needs this to show how much players love the game and how much they love to play it

tykrum
08-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Obviously they do happen and obvioulsy they happen a lot more than you think. of course no players do those horrible things on purpose but they do it nonetheless which we obviously have to include. why should they be thrown out of discussion just because it was an accident. well i guess going by your bush example, we can then say "o ok, sorry we invaded you iraq we thought you had nuclear weapons, our bad". but it was an accidnet right so we can jus throw that out of discussion too. cmon now man

ill admit some bad court behavior are inexcusable, but others are fine. examples are like safins racquet throwing and roddicks on court swearing. they add color to the game of tennis which we so utterly need. we need them to express their passion for the game. as much as we need to hear rafael nadal's VAMOS and lleyton hewitt's CMON, we need to see players get frustrated with themselves and do what they do. tennis needs this to show how much players love the game and how much they love to play it

You're not making much sense here (especially with what you said about Bush), but in conclusion I'll just say that swearing at umpires doesn't show that Roddick loves tennis - if he was swearing at himself, then I'd buy that argument. But his comments about wanting to beat Federer, playing hard for his country, and dedicating his life off the court to getting better do show that he loves tennis though, and that's why I'll continue to cheer for him while hoping that he stops his whiny complaining crap.

Lleytian3
08-13-2007, 04:09 PM
You're not making much sense here (especially with what you said about Bush), but in conclusion I'll just say that swearing at umpires doesn't show that Roddick loves tennis - if he was swearing at himself, then I'd buy that argument. But his comments about wanting to beat Federer, playing hard for his country, and dedicating his life off the court to getting better do show that he loves tennis though, and that's why I'll continue to cheer for him while hoping that he stops his whiny complaining crap.

Does that make him seem like a crybaby. try put yourself in roddicks or any pros shoes that chews out the umpire. your playing a tight semifinal match, btw this is just an example, it never really happened to any pro, if it did it was conocidence. but your playing a grand slam semifinal match where the person you meet in the final you have a good chance of beating awaits you. you are in the 5th set at 5-5. your opponent is seving at 30-40. if you can break him you can serve out the match. your in control of the point and hit a solid winner on the far end of the court. the umpire immediately overrules and say the ball was out. deuce. tell me you would take the umpires word for it and not argue then you can talk to me about "whiny complaining crap"

West Coast Ace
08-13-2007, 04:23 PM
I cannot stand that Roddick is the face of American tennis. Amen. Can't count how many people I had to tell in Shanghai that many Americans are embarrassed by his antics.

he doesnt even act that bad on court, sure he has a few incidients but has he ever thrown a racquet at a ball kid/linesman. pro's in the past have. has he ever violently thrown his racquet in the crowd out of frustration?? has he ever hit a ball directly in the crowd out of frustration. Don't justify Roddick's juvenile behavior with others bad behavior.

i saw him punch a kitten in the face on court onceYou should have seen what he did to a sheep once... :-)

Feña14
08-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Anyone remember the 2004 Miami final against Coria? Coria started to struggle physically in the first set with what looked like back pain that got worse and worse so he went for broke and eventually took the first set. Roddick was doing impressions of Coria and complaining that he was faking it to get injury timeouts to throw Roddick off his game.

Coria ended up retiring with what we later found out to be kidney stones, he must of been in excruciating pain.

That's Roddick for you.

tykrum
08-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Does that make him seem like a crybaby. try put yourself in roddicks or any pros shoes that chews out the umpire. your playing a tight semifinal match, btw this is just an example, it never really happened to any pro, if it did it was conocidence. but your playing a grand slam semifinal match where the person you meet in the final you have a good chance of beating awaits you. you are in the 5th set at 5-5. your opponent is seving at 30-40. if you can break him you can serve out the match. your in control of the point and hit a solid winner on the far end of the court. the umpire immediately overrules and say the ball was out. deuce. tell me you would take the umpires word for it and not argue then you can talk to me about "whiny complaining crap"

I was hoping to stop, but I couldn't resist here. This is actually kind of funny because it not only did almost this exact scenario happen to Roddick but it proves my point as well, I almost used it in one of my prior posts. I didn't because the match happened 6 years ago, when Roddick was inexperienced and immature, but he hasn't changed his ways too much since then unfortunately. Just to fill you in, because you might not be old enough to remember it, in 2001 #18 Roddick played #4 Hewitt at the US Open Quarters in a night match. Roddick wasn't even a top player yet, it was just after his 19th birthday - it was his first real opportunity to prove himself. Hewitt was one of the favorites, if not the favorite, to win his first major. Roddick was serving at 4-5, first point of the game he hits a forehand inside out, called in, but overruled by the umpire on the far side of the court (Replays showed it to look like it may have caught a little of the line). He literally goes berserk, even making a gesture toward the umpire after the next point (which he wins). By letting the call get to him instead of just taking it for what it was (just a 0-15 hole on his serve), he gets broken in that game for the match. If Roddick could have kept the complaining to a minimum and just focused on getting some first serves in, who knows what happens? Hewitt went on to win his next two matches, dropping only 12 games in total, for the title.

ShcMad
08-13-2007, 05:00 PM

HAHAAHAHA. This is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Sadly, what you say is true.

CRDLIBERTY
08-13-2007, 07:45 PM
It would be pretty easy to get into roddicks head, take bunch of time bettween his serves. I noticed he plays with mo:grin: mentum take that away and hes a punk

J-man
08-13-2007, 07:50 PM
No, I realize the guy probably will never beat the top players again, but I mean appreciating him as a good sportsman. I have tried over the years to find things to like about him, like the jokes, candid behavior off the court, etc, but he just acts a jerk too often.

Last week I remember him clearly giving a "F U" to one of the linesmen after getting a bad call on his serve. Was that really necessary? That was after he just won his service game. Bad calls happen. That's life, Andy. Get over it. He's just like that certain other American guy we all knew in the 80's (not his coach), except Roddick isn't that talented.he really let's his mouth go which is terrible. I mean it is understandable to curse on the court or throw your racket (even though that is not good to do). But saying F U to a linemen or calling players on the other side of the net name (remeber that match with Tsonga at the AO?).

tennispro11
08-13-2007, 07:56 PM

Roddick's interviews are very fun to watch. He is funny and extremely witty. How many players look flabbergasted getting beat by a guy who is playing out of his mind? What would you do? I will give you some time to think on it sense you seem to be the smartest guy in the world. LOL!

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-13-2007, 08:06 PM
It's the same thing with Hewitt and many, many others. I tried to like the guy for a long time, but the excessive abuse toward mostly lines people just got ridiculous. I wish these guys were fined or docked points every time this happens. No wonder not everyone in his country likes him.

Like I said, the only reason I singled Andy out is b/c I live in the same country. It's one thing to have a fighting spirit, but so many of these guys (kids really) lack, and perhaps never find, maturity. I guess when all you've done is play tennis your entire life and looked at like you're some kind of superhuman being that you eventually begin to believe it. That doesn't make it OK to speak to other people like they're not human. Lleytian3, do you understand yet?

pow
08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
I used to be a Roddick fan... but he seriously needs to calm the f down on the court. If nothing else, his press conferences are still good though... hahaha

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
you think pro's bash the linesman and chair just cuz they have nothing else to do. are you really that stupid. use some logic. they aint doing their job, if the pro's are yelling at them.

Here's some logic: Since you haven't noticed, the players are not always right when they use ShotSpot. If they were, you might have an arguement.

And lines people are not perfect like you. they are human, ok? i'm sure you see 140+ mph serves everyday though and would never miss a call, right?

Oh, and saying "FU" to a linesman isn't exciting; it's embarassing that these clowns get away with treating other people so rudely.

tangerine
08-13-2007, 08:56 PM
It's always a good sign when Roddick's biggest closet fans come out of their holes to profess their never-ending concern for Roddick's well-being, his brain (or lack of), and the trajectory of his career.

As long as you keep on talking, watching, and caring about him, then it's all good.

rommil
08-13-2007, 09:01 PM
I sorta expected this even before clicking the thread. People here really hate Roddick with a passion.

I won't make excuses for his misbehaviors, but really...you take the good with the bad in people. He may act like an arse at times to officials, but that still doesn't take away what he's given to charities and what a fun guy he is off the court. I can't think of a more witty interviewee in tennis right now.

Some people just like to hate him for whatever reason (American, loud, confident, swears, etc.), and only focus on the negative news. That's fine with me, so long as they realize what a bitter and spiteful bunch they are.
Funny interviews? Yeah Roddick can be witty but he tries to be (ok I really don't like him). Safin is a lot more NATURAL and FUNNY. Bitter and spiteful? Ok I give you that especially now thinking how I start to have this evil smile when I see Roddick facing a match point. But really and I ask you this, why do a lot of people dislike Roddick?(Jealousy is not a valid reason since we all know there are a lot better tennis players to be jealous from).

tbini87
08-13-2007, 09:05 PM
at least he gives a good interview after he gets beaten!

rommil
08-13-2007, 09:06 PM
So you have been enjoying a lot of good interviews lately?

Lleytian3
08-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Here's some logic: Since you haven't noticed, the players are not always right when they use ShotSpot. If they were, you might have an arguement.

And lines people are not perfect like you. they are human, ok? i'm sure you see 140+ mph serves everyday though and would never miss a call, right?

Oh, and saying "FU" to a linesman isn't exciting; it's embarassing that these clowns get away with treating other people so rudely.

do you kno why we have shotspot in the first place, because the linesman get so many calls wrong to beign with. we know they are human, buddy thats why we allowed them to make their fair share of mistakes. obiviously there are too much mistakes, hence shotspot. obviously the atp were right since now they have shotspot at almost all major tournments.

Rudlely?!? are you kidding me. linesman only get treated rudely when they make an obvious bad line call. which they do, they do not get treated like this every match at every tournement. its jus like wen your boss chews you out for making a mistake. same thing, only thing the pro's arent the boss of the linespeople. some of the line calls are horrendous, take serena v justines us open match a few years ago. and..they are many others

phoony
08-13-2007, 11:48 PM
I never like Roddick.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 04:46 AM
Have you ever listened to him talk during an interview? He is highly intelligent. I am not an Andy fan, but don't put down a guys intelligence or IQ when you have no way of knowing or have jumped onto the bandwagon of bashing Andy.

I'll bet when he won the US Open, you were his biggest fan....:confused:

You are too funny. You really think an INTERVIEW shows how smart or dumb someone is? The guy has a low IQ...he probably had trouble in the logical areas of education (math and reading). He says the same old crap in EVERY interview...that's not smart but polished. He has been doing these interviews for 8 plus years. His game speaks volumes about how intelligent he is. If you don't see that, then no point in wasting my time with you.

A fan...NEVER. I actually wanted to like the guy because he is/was America's best hope. I really gave an effort to be a fan, but I could not do it. I found myself rooting against him very quickly...why is that? Its because he is as rude and obnoxious as anyone in tennis. I have said this before and will again...the guy has NO HEART. I have no respect for an athelete don't won't literaly die to win. He is the type of guy that would run away in war...remember the guy in Saving Private Ryan (the one that let the Jewish guy get stabbed in the chest), that would be Roddick.

Your whole rebuttal is hypocritcal by the way.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 04:59 AM
Roddick's interviews are very fun to watch. He is funny and extremely witty. How many players look flabbergasted getting beat by a guy who is playing out of his mind? What would you do? I will give you some time to think on it sense you seem to be the smartest guy in the world. LOL!

Funny how you guys think an interview shows how smart someone is. Have you ever seen Kevin Garnett in an interview....SERIOUSLY have you? Have you ever seen Richard Hamilton (both NBA players) in an interview? They both speak very well and seem intelligent. How wrong some people are. Garnett is borderline mentally ******** (excuse my political incorrectness) and Hamilton is lucky he even has the ability to spell CAT.

How do I know this...I won't tell, but its true. Garnett could not even get a 700 on his SAT's. He scored in the 500's. You get 400 for signing your name correctly. Hamilton....that has been debated how he scored high enough....seriously debated with students at UConn and teachers!

I never claimed to be the smartest person in the world...don't be an *****. I am no the only one in this thread that thinks he has low intelligence. Never said he was not funny, but he is not very bright.

Rhino
08-14-2007, 05:27 AM
I cannot stand that Roddick is the face of American tennis.

Actually i think it's quite fitting, in the same way that Federer is the face of Swiss tennis, Nadal is the face of Spanish tennis, Hewitt the face of Australian tennis, Henman the face of English tennis... they each show very much the personalities of their countries.

Zaragoza
08-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Actually i think it's quite fitting, in the same way that Federer is the face of Swiss tennis, Nadal is the face of Spanish tennis, Hewitt the face of Australian tennis, Henman the face of English tennis... they each show very much the personalities of their countries.

I think you´re being too hard on Australians ;)

ktownva
08-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Not giving up just yet. In the last year, he reached the US Open final, was a point away from beating Fed at the Masters, is playing up to his ranking for the most part this summer. It would be foolish for anyone to write him off, especially his opponents.

Keifers
08-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Whoa there! You'd be dead wrong on this one.

Hewitt is disliked by many Aussies precisely because his behavior is so un-Australian.

jgn1013
08-14-2007, 06:05 AM
well despite all of the negativity on this board, I like Roddick. He is the only decent american player we have and I pull for him to win every chance I get. Honestly, I don't think he has the game to beat the top 2 players but he did play well against djoker. Only a couple of bad volley during that last game cost him the match.

Pele
08-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Slappano-"You are too funny. You really think an INTERVIEW shows how smart or dumb someone is? The guy has a low IQ...he probably had trouble in the logical areas of education (math and reading). He says the same old crap in EVERY interview...that's not smart but polished. He has been doing these interviews for 8 plus years. His game speaks volumes about how intelligent he is. If you don't see that, then no point in wasting my time with you."

When you speak in hyperbole about someone elses intellect it calls in to question your intelligence.

Rhino
08-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Whoa there! You'd be dead wrong on this one.

Hewitt is disliked by many Aussies precisely because his behavior is so un-Australian.

OK, Rafter maybe... sorry. but actually I don't think Hewiit is that bad, I watched that DVD 'Hewitt - the Other Side", he seemed like a nice enough, down to earth, typical Aussie type of guy.

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-14-2007, 06:51 AM
I don't want to get into the intelligence debate, which is a debate b/c testing is often questionable, etc. People who generally do not care about grades or have learning disabilities, etc do not perform well on tests. IQ is not always an accurate gauge of one's success in life either. I digress...

Rudlely?!? are you kidding me. linesman only get treated rudely when they make an obvious bad line call. which they do, they do not get treated like this every match at every tournement.

So we agree that they're wrong sometimes. The problem I have is watching a US role model say "F U" to a lines person in front of millions kids, or adults, etc who might have had a little respect before then. Don't you think that sends a negative message? Roddick and so many others behave like immature brats. Why is that acceptable?

I can't remember who I heard that once said MacEnroe should have been shut up long ago and I absolutely agree with that. That kind of behavior is abusive to the player, officials, and fans. Sure, it's drama, and it actually helped MacEnroe play BETTER (rare), but I have little respect for someone who behaves like a child and uses every word in a sailor's vocabulary to berate everyone in their presence. That's really NOT cool.

Keifers
08-14-2007, 06:58 AM
OK, Rafter maybe... sorry. but actually I don't think Hewiit is that bad, I watched that DVD 'Hewitt - the Other Side", he seemed like a nice enough, down to earth, typical Aussie type of guy.
Yeah, Rafter for sure. Thanks for the substitution. Pat is very much in the Aussie tradition of good sportsmanship (Hoad, Laver, Rosewall, Emerson, and many others) and that's why so many Down Under like and respect him.

I wouldn't doubt that Hewitt is a nice enough, down to earth guy. Having said that, it's somewhat telling that he has a 'the Other Side' DVD and the other Aussie greats don't, no? ;)

Btw, a family friend of ours was Lord Mayor of the City of Adelaide (Lleyton's home town) a few years ago when Hewitt won the US Open. The City Fathers gave him the 'key to the city' in recognition of his achievement, big celebration, etc... They were then quite stumped about what to give him the following year when he won Wimbledon!

Ben42
08-14-2007, 07:06 AM

You just don't like him because he doesn't have all the class and grace of.......Ann Coulter?

babolat15
08-14-2007, 07:16 AM
roddick sucks, although hes 4 in the orld its very confusing

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
So we agree that they're wrong sometimes. The problem I have is watching a US role model say "F U" to a lines person in front of millions kids, or adults, etc who might have had a little respect before then. Don't you think that sends a negative message? Roddick and so many others behave like immature brats. Why is that acceptable?

I can't remember who I heard that once said MacEnroe should have been shut up long ago and I absolutely agree with that. That kind of behavior is abusive to the player, officials, and fans. Sure, it's drama, and it actually helped MacEnroe play BETTER (rare), but I have little respect for someone who behaves like a child and uses every word in a sailor's vocabulary to berate everyone in their presence. That's really NOT cool.

i agree that a role model saying that kind of stuff is a horrible message. but do you think roddick has that "role model" status attatched to him like say agassi and sampras did. even connors. they were all US role models, is roddick now the new US role model, i am not so sure he has gotten that status as of yet. but agassi was just horrible in his younger days, we all remember the match where he swore so much that the chair had no choice to DQ him. so yea roddick shuld get bashed for saying that kind of thing, but before we go so quick to blame and bash, we gotta remember agassi was on the tour for how many years and it took him many years to mature and be gentlemen-like. now roddick wasnt as bad as agassi as he was, but he has some bad incidents, maybe he needs time to mature like agassi did.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Slappano-"You are too funny. You really think an INTERVIEW shows how smart or dumb someone is? The guy has a low IQ...he probably had trouble in the logical areas of education (math and reading). He says the same old crap in EVERY interview...that's not smart but polished. He has been doing these interviews for 8 plus years. His game speaks volumes about how intelligent he is. If you don't see that, then no point in wasting my time with you."

When you speak in hyperbole about someone elses intellect it calls in to question your intelligence.

If you read my earlier posts, I was talking about his low intelligence and used his tennis game as an example. Other people brought up interviews....I now call into question your intelligence.;)

Also..do you even know what a hyperbole is? I don't think you do. I was making an OBSERVATION based on his on-court play.

Challenger
08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
The guy has a low IQ...he probably had trouble in the logical areas of education (math and reading).

So, now I'm curious. Just how low did Roddick score on his IQ test?

I have said this before and will again...the guy has NO HEART.

I'm not disputing that you're wrong, but how did you come to this conclusion? I'd say Jimmy Connors is a good judge of "heart", and if he didn't think Roddick had the passion to win, I doubt he'd sign up to be his coach in the first place.

Moreover, on the court, I don't ever recall him "tanking", even when losing badly. Sure, he may lose confidence during matches, but he still finishes through and puts energy in. It's not like he's retiring from matches or suddenly dumping service games to end the match quicker.

Again, you're free to believe what you want, since they're just opinions after all. We seem to perceive things differently in this case, but since neither of us knows for sure, our opinions pretty much have equal value here. I'd just like to know why you'd think he lacks "heart".

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
If you read my earlier posts, I was talking about his low intelligence and used his tennis game as an example. Other people brought up interviews....I now call into question your intelligence.;)

Also..do you even know what a hyperbole is? I don't think you do. I was making an OBSERVATION based on his on-court play.

slappano- you go on to criticize roddick's intelligence and now this guy's intelligence, i think we must first check your intelligence buddy.

saying that roddick has NO HEART. no offense, but how stupid can you be. that is like saying federer is an avergae player. and that nadal & hewitt dont play with that much intensity.

you can bash roddick all you like, and say all this stuff about him, his antics, his behavior on the court, his style of play. but dont question his HEART, you can clearly, CLEARLY see roddick is very passionate about the game and has a lot of HEART

daddy
08-14-2007, 04:33 PM
slappano- you go on to criticize roddick's intelligence and now this guy's intelligence, i think we must first check your intelligence buddy.

saying that roddick has NO HEART. no offense, but how stupid can you be. that is like saying federer is an avergae player. and that nadal & hewitt dont play with that much intensity.

you can bash roddick all you like, and say all this stuff about him, his antics, his behavior on the court, his style of play. but dont question his HEART, you can clearly, CLEARLY see roddick is very passionate about the game and has a lot of HEART

Id have to say you have to make clear difference about passion for the game and heart mate, its got nothing to do with eachother. For example loving the game does not mean you are necesarry built to be a champ and have a nerve to become one .. I love the game so much and on the other hand Id surely lose my nerve when playing fed, 100%. Thats basically what roddick does every time and you got to **** him off big time to make him play, sort of like hewitt.

daddy
08-14-2007, 04:37 PM

Id have to agree 100%. Roddick plays his game no matter what. Also never adjusts to oponent, brute force and thats it. Now name one great champ who did this all the time ? ONE ? All of them are precise and inteligent ON COURT, adjusting the game, controling nerves and dictating play not with hard hitting but brains and diversity.

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Id have to say you have to make clear difference about passion for the game and heart mate, its got nothing to do with eachother. For example loving the game does not mean you are necesarry built to be a champ and have a nerve to become one .. I love the game so much and on the other hand Id surely lose my nerve when playing fed, 100%. Thats basically what roddick does every time and you got to **** him off big time to make him play, sort of like hewitt.

please explain to me whats the difference between passion and heart. if you are passionate about something how can you NOT love it. It is the same thing, passion and heart go hand in hand buddy

daddy
08-14-2007, 04:57 PM
please explain to me whats the difference between passion and heart. if you are passionate about something how can you NOT love it. It is the same thing, passion and heart go hand in hand buddy

Passion means he loves the game, lightharted means he can not hold his nerve and give his best when its most important. Like ivanisevic, pure passion but balkan mentality just destroyed him and took so much from him. And he was passionate right ? Remember when he won wimbledon ? Tears and celebrations and everything but he lacked that champ heart.

Challenger
08-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Passion means he loves the game, lightharted means he can not hold his nerve and give his best when its most important. Like ivanisevic, pure passion but balkan mentality just destroyed him and took so much from him. And he was passionate right ? Remember when he won wimbledon ? Tears and celebrations and everything but he lacked that champ heart.

I guess that's just a distinction in semantics between cultures (or individuals) then.

From where I come from, "heart" and "passion" is pretty much clumped in one category. These terms usually refer to the drive to give it all on the court, and the intensity at which the player plays.

What you refer to as "heart", we refer to as "will", "concentration", "focus", "mental fortitude", etc...which means to be able to maintain oneself in high-pressure situations.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
So, now I'm curious. Just how low did Roddick score on his IQ test?

I'm not disputing that you're wrong, but how did you come to this conclusion? I'd say Jimmy Connors is a good judge of "heart", and if he didn't think Roddick had the passion to win, I doubt he'd sign up to be his coach in the first place.

Moreover, on the court, I don't ever recall him "tanking", even when losing badly. Sure, he may lose confidence during matches, but he still finishes through and puts energy in. It's not like he's retiring from matches or suddenly dumping service games to end the match quicker.

Again, you're free to believe what you want, since they're just opinions after all. We seem to perceive things differently in this case, but since neither of us knows for sure, our opinions pretty much have equal value here. I'd just like to know why you'd think he lacks "heart".

Well said.:)

Challenger
08-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Well said.:)

But, I was hoping you'd at least delineate your opinion a little more clearly...as to give us a better understanding of why you think Roddick lacks "heart", in opposition to the observations I previously raised.

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=daddy;1665927]Passion means he loves the game

i guess you jus said it yourself.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:19 PM

I disagree with you entirely. I know what heart is and he does not have it...does he hate to lose? yes...but that is different. I can't argue with you because its my opinion, but please understand TO ME he lacks heart. I see his body language and the way he acts as being a sore loser. He rarely (not never), but for a high ranking player comes back to beat another high end player. Nadal...HEART...Federe...HEART...Mac....HEART....S ampras...HEART...do you see my point. To me those guys show heart in battle...they will do WHATEVER it takes to win and NEVER, EVER give up (maybe Mac at some points in his later career), but Roddick does not show me this.

I think I made my point clearly and you will probably disagree, but what I see and feel has nothing to do with my inteligence. You missed the point about intelligence as the "other" guy did. I am not where near the only one that thinks that, so to be honest you are in the minority so I have to now question your intelligence.

You have no clue as to what HEART is, because if you did you would just let it go. The guy is arrogant, egotistical and hates to lose...to you that's heart...that's a joke. You're probably thinking Mike Vick is getting the shaft and Pac Man Jones is innocent.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:22 PM

You see Challenger and Leytian3..Daddy understands HEART. I never said he did not care or was there just for the money and girls.

Daddy...well said. :D

TheModernEra
08-14-2007, 05:26 PM
I personally don't really like Andy's game. His shots have about as much finesse and arc as a bullet from a Glock pistol, but I give him a lot of credit for how he handles himself after loss after loss with Federer (some of the most humerous and self-depreciating interviews ever). Also, he tends to applaud the ridiculous shots his opponents make, almost to a fault, during matches. He is #4 in the world for a reason. And to say that he wouldn't be any good without his 140 mph serve is like saying Maradona would have worked the Argentinian oil fields had he not had a left foot. Stop the hating already!

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:26 PM
I guess that's just a distinction in semantics between cultures (or individuals) then.

From where I come from, "heart" and "passion" is pretty much clumped in one category. These terms usually refer to the drive to give it all on the court, and the intensity at which the player plays.

What you refer to as "heart", we refer to as "will", "concentration", "focus", "mental fortitude", etc...which means to be able to maintain oneself in high-pressure situations.

No its not and you just missed the point or I did not write it well. You know all guys give it their all on court, and they are all there because of passion besides the money. Now, will to give it all in a match and try to win no matter what is is cool, he has it but !!!! - If you go out there and have 1000% drive and will its cool but if you lose a few games you need to have a heart of a lion to be able to shrug this off and get back to your best. He is weak in this department, thus lacks heart although he has passion.

Okay ?

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Id have to agree 100%. Roddick plays his game no matter what. Also never adjusts to oponent, brute force and thats it. Now name one great champ who did this all the time ? ONE ? All of them are precise and inteligent ON COURT, adjusting the game, controling nerves and dictating play not with hard hitting but brains and diversity.

That is 100% on the mark. Just look at past Champions (ones that one 4 or more GS). All of them changed things about their game before, during and after matches depending on who they play. Borg, Connors, Mac, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Sampras, Courier, Agassi, and Federer all had that ability to adjust to their opponents and win on many occasions when they were not playing their best. Roddick has no concept of this so that is why I consider him to lack intelligence. What else is it...stubborness? If it is then he really is a dummy. Roddick needed to learn how to play net..did he? NO. He also needed to strengthen his back hand...did he? NO. To be the best you have to be willing to adapt..Fed did it and now Novak is doing it. Roddick won't be a #3 anytime soon.

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I personally don't really like Andy's game. His shots have about as much finesse and arc as a bullet from a Glock pistol, but I give him a lot of credit for how he handles himself after loss after loss with Federer (some of the most humerous and self-depreciating interviews ever). Also, he tends to applaud the ridiculous shots his opponents make, almost to a fault, during matches. He is #4 in the world for a reason. And to say that he wouldn't be any good without his 140 mph serve is like saying Maradona would have worked the Argentinian oil fields had he not had a left foot. Stop the hating already!

Mate I dont hate rod for example but hes worn out. I think he and hewitt and guys like them just dont have a trust and belief that they could really go there and make a difference and win majors again. They used a gam in tennis , when no real all time greats were peaking and thats it. you know about the saying that worst place in turnament in nr2 ? Why do you think this is so ? Is rod there to be nr4 and be satisfied with this ? For sure not !!!

But he can not get better that that as things look now. People who he can not beat are on their peak like fed and others who are coming to the top will take over once the swiss is done, not rod.

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 05:30 PM
No its not and you just missed the point or I did not write it well. You know all guys give it their all on court, and they are all there because of passion besides the money. Now, will to give it all in a match and try to win no matter what is is cool, he has it but !!!! - If you go out there and have 1000% drive and will its cool but if you lose a few games you need to have a heart of a lion to be able to shrug this off and get back to your best. He is weak in this department, thus lacks heart although he has passion.

Okay ?

Very well said.

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:32 PM
That is 100% on the mark. Just look at past Champions (ones that one 4 or more GS). All of them changed things about their game before, during and after matches depending on who they play. Borg, Connors, Mac, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Sampras, Courier, Agassi, and Federer all had that ability to adjust to their opponents and win on many occasions when they were not playing their best. Roddick has no concept of this so that is why I consider him to lack intelligence. What else is it...stubborness? If it is then he really is a dummy. Roddick needed to learn how to play net..did he? NO. He also needed to strengthen his back hand...did he? NO. To be the best you have to be willing to adapt..Fed did it and now Novak is doing it. Roddick won't be a #3 anytime soon.

Ill just add this , he is down to earth while talking after defeats and stuff, but I do feel this is more because he is pretty much aware of his place in tennis and if he gets a shoiot of winning against fed or rafa, hes satisfied, another thing I dont like. Also never blames him self for defeats .. he never ONCE spoke about how his tactics was bad. It was either serve let him down or forhand or whatever.

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
I disagree with you entirely. I know what heart is and he does not have it...does he hate to lose? yes...but that is different. I can't argue with you because its my opinion, but please understand TO ME he lacks heart. I see his body language and the way he acts as being a sore loser. He rarely (not never), but for a high ranking player comes back to beat another high end player. Nadal...HEART...Federe...HEART...Mac....HEART....S ampras...HEART...do you see my point. To me those guys show heart in battle...they will do WHATEVER it takes to win and NEVER, EVER give up (maybe Mac at some points in his later career), but Roddick does not show me this.

I think I made my point clearly and you will probably disagree, but what I see and feel has nothing to do with my inteligence. You missed the point about intelligence as the "other" guy did. I am not where near the only one that thinks that, so to be honest you are in the minority so I have to now question your intelligence.

You have no clue as to what HEART is, because if you did you would just let it go. The guy is arrogant, egotistical and hates to lose...to you that's heart...that's a joke. You're probably thinking Mike Vick is getting the shaft and Pac Man Jones is innocent.

ok ill agree with you on the fact that it is your opinion and ill let you stand by that. i can semi understand your part of you seeing how roddick lacks hard, and how he doesnt try everything and give 100% to win, i can percieve on how you say that.

please dont even criticize that i do not know what heart is. thats how i got to be such a damn good tennis player because i play with my heart, so please dont criticize me when you dont know a damn thing about me, especially when it comes to topics such as these. because i can clearly see who has heart and who doesnt.

i liked how you ended it with vick and pac man, your lucky i know my thing about football, or else i would be who??. not much tennis fanatics closely follow football. nice ending. now you and and your "daddy" can have your little orgy since you agree on everything. go have fun with your "daddy" ;)

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:38 PM

no...passion and love does not mean you have HEART. Yousee, that is why you don't get it...

I will give you an example other than tennis since its an easier one for you to understand.

Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders.

Barry Sanders was passionate about the game. He loved to play football and was very prideful of his place in football (this is what he said). He retired early...wanna know why? He lost his HEART to play. He said he still loved it and could play at a high level (I agree with this)...but he lost his HEART to lay his body on the line. Barry would also not play injured. He felt he knew his limits and played by them...some people (even during his prime) questioned his HEART (SOMETIMES).

Now to Emmitt Smith:
Emmitt had to win, had to play every down, had to have the ball, had to lead his team...he had no other way to play. The guy was ALL HEART. This is something EVERYONE that watched football in the 90's and early 00's would agree with. If someone said describe Emmitt Smith with one word...that word would be HEART. That, by the way, was a poll asked in 1998. Over 80% of the poll voted for heart. What did they vote for Barry...GREAT (I don't remember the %, but it was high and on the mark).

In the last game of 1993 Dallas had to beat the Giants to win the division. Emmitt literally tore his shoulder off in the 2nd quarter or so. Guess what he did...he played pherahps the gutsiest games in football history. He was a RB and took hit after hit. I will never forget his heroics on the football field. It is legendary. This is a great example of how much HEART he showed that day..not that anyone ever questioned it.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM

sorry, but I disagree with you. Heart is not always described in words....Focus and concentration..whatever Jersey boy...have another drink of that filthy Atlantic Ocean.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
ok ill agree with you on the fact that it is your opinion and ill let you stand by that. i can semi understand your part of you seeing how roddick lacks hard, and how he doesnt try everything and give 100% to win, i can percieve on how you say that.

please dont even criticize that i do not know what heart is. thats how i got to be such a damn good tennis player because i play with my heart, so please dont criticize me when you dont know a damn thing about me, especially when it comes to topics such as these. because i can clearly see who has heart and who doesnt.

i liked how you ended it with vick and pac man, your lucky i know my thing about football, or else i would be who??. not much tennis fanatics closely follow football. nice ending. now you and and your "daddy" can have your little orgy since you agree on everything. go have fun with your "daddy" ;)

Since you don't know what heart is how can you have any....are you jealous that Daddy did not agree with you?

Don't get your panties in a bunch...we are arguing over a complete ***** named Andrew Roddick.;)

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
no...passion and love does not mean you have HEART. Yousee, that is why you don't get it...

I will give you an example other than tennis since its an easier one for you to understand.

Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders.

Barry Sanders was passionate about the game. He loved to play football and was very prideful of his place in football (this is what he said). He retired early...wanna know why? He lost his HEART to play. He said he still loved it and could play at a high level (I agree with this)...but he lost his HEART to lay his body on the line. Barry would also not play injured. He felt he knew his limits and played by them...some people (even during his prime) questioned his HEART (SOMETIMES).

Now to Emmitt Smith:
Emmitt had to win, had to play every down, had to have the ball, had to lead his team...he had no other way to play. The guy was ALL HEART. This is something EVERYONE that watched football in the 90's and early 00's would agree with. If someone said describe Emmitt Smith with one word...that word would be HEART. That, by the way, was a poll asked in 1998. Over 80% of the poll voted for heart. What did they vote for Barry...GREAT (I don't remember the %, but it was high and on the mark).

In the last game of 1993 Dallas had to beat the Giants to win the division. Emmitt literally tore his shoulder off in the 2nd quarter or so. Guess what he did...he played pherahps the gutsiest games in football history. He was a RB and took hit after hit. I will never forget his heroics on the football field. It is legendary. This is a great example of how much HEART he showed that day..not that anyone ever questioned it.

nice analogy although not quite explains the difference between passion and heart.

you want an example of roddick showing heart.

simple, and im sure most would agree, maybe not you, but roddick showed tremondous heart in this match.

australian open younes el anouyi(sp?) vs. roddick, round of 16 i believe it was.

roddick wins im not sure but i think it was 19-17 in the 5th set. roddick was down match point at i think 4-5 or 5-6, he was down 30-40 on his serve. he hit a sick inside out forehand and went for everything on that shot. but still to play another 24 games. to keep on holding while you are down 8-9, down 9-10 etc. and to keep holding your serve and the breaking your opponet at 17-17 and to serve it out shows tremendous heart. roddick could have said it wasnt worth it and tank the match, and you have to keep in mind this was a young roddick too. but he showed tremendous heart, and pulled that match out, and it went down as one of the greatest matches in australian open and tennis history

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:46 PM

Cool. So now you have heart and you know what it is ? ;) Dont push it mate, you can be dumb as hell but stubbern and never quit and have a heart and still have no clue about what it is. You look at things onesided, and there are so many factors that determine the individual .. so put things in another perspective and maybe you will see passion can be different from heart. Take it out from tennis courts ..

Lets talk passion for sports ? So many guys never had heart to give their best in many sports and never became pros or even close, but had so much passion that they play the game until they die, just cause they love it. Ill not spell this anymore for you, get a dictonary and check it therilly.

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Cool. So now you have heart and you know what it is ? ;) Dont push it mate, you can be dumb as hell but stubbern and never quit and have a heart and still have no clue about what it is. You look at things onesided, and there are so many factors that determine the individual .. so put things in another perspective and maybe you will see passion can be different from heart. Take it out from tennis courts ..

Lets talk passion for sports ? So many guys never had heart to give their best in many sports and never became pros or even close, but had so much passion that they play the game until they die, just cause they love it. Ill not spell this anymore for you, get a dictonary and check it therilly.

onesided, you want to talk about onesided you hyprocritcal b*tch. you are only looking at this from your side. did i not just agree with your lover that i can see it from his point of view. can you comprehendly even read what i type

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:48 PM
nice analogy although not quite explains the difference between passion and heart.

simple, and im sure most would agree, maybe not you, but roddick showed tremondous heart in this match.

australian open younes el anouyi(sp?) vs. roddick, round of 16 i believe it was.

roddick wins im not sure but i think it was 19-17 in the 5th set. roddick was down match point at i think 4-5 or 5-6, he was down 30-40 on his serve. he hit a sick inside out forehand and went for everything on that shot. but still to play another 24 games. to keep on holding while you are down 8-9, down 9-10 etc. and to keep holding your serve and the breaking your opponet at 17-17 and to serve it out shows tremendous heart. roddick could have said it wasnt worth it and tank the match, and you have to keep in mind this was a young roddick too. but he showed tremendous heart, and pulled that match out, and it went down as one of the greatest matches in australian open and tennis history

My analogy does show the difference...but I have to say you provided a great example of Roddick showing HEART..good for Andy...problem he barely shows it. Doing it once in a while does not mean you have it. He shwed it yes, but he still does not have it.

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:49 PM

Oh my, and who was he playing ? Was that a guy of lower potential and quality than him obviously ? If yes, why doesnt he do the same thing to fed or rafa ? Lacks what ?

Fill in .....

Okay, seriously, not only heart, concentration and probably few more things but nmevertheless I think his lighthearted aproach to most important matches brought him so many defeats to top few players .

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 05:50 PM
My analogy does show the difference...but I have to say you provided a great example of Roddick showing HEART..good for Andy...problem he barely shows it. Doing it once in a while does not mean you have it. He shwed it yes, but he still does not have it.

true that. i can understand now that he doesnt show often that kind of heart he did in that match, but just cause he doesnt show it anymore, does not necessarily mean he doesnt have it

Azzurri
onesided, you want to talk about onesided you hyprocritcal b*tch. you are only looking at this from your side. did i not just agree with your lover that i can see it from his point of view. can you comprehendly even read what i type

you're funny...your name has something to do with a MALE and you call us gay? Get out of the closet sissy boy...you will feel much better.

tennispro11

Showing heart doesn't mean you have heart. WTF? Come on dude!

Challenger
sorry, but I disagree with you. Heart is not always described in words....Focus and concentration..whatever Jersey boy...have another drink of that filthy Atlantic Ocean.

First of all, I have discussed this with nothing but respect for individual opinions. I don't understand why you're suddenly attacking me and the state I live in. To be honest, that reflects poorly on yourself.

Secondly, if you denounce the use of words to articulate thoughts, then how are we going to have a discussion? I was merely trying to CLARIFY the distinction between terms brought up by others who REQUESTED to make the distinction in the first place. You need to stop being so defensive in this regard. Not everything is an attack on you.

Thirdly, you still have yet to provide explanations behind your opinions. You only state that "he has no heart". Your reasoning? "Because. Just look at him." That, my friend, is not exactly a wealth of proof.

Like Lleytian and I, we have backed up our opinions with specific observations that make our opinions somewhat logical. All you have done is basically say "believe what I said, because I said it."

Again, it's not an attack, so quit being so defensive. I was just asking for a better idea of what you're arguing for.

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:51 PM

As I pointed out showed heart agains whom ? Its not the same, you knid of know you are better and just need to pull it together and youll win. What if you are not better ? You need that extra edge and you need to be a brave and hard fighter, and in order to get energy to beat someone better than you on most days you need to give 110%, not just regular game .. and in order to do that you need to have , as I said before, heart of a lion.

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 05:52 PM

thank you! thank you for still showing competence on the forums

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 05:53 PM
First of all, I have discussed this with nothing but respect for individual opinions. I don't understand why you're suddenly attacking me and the state I live in. To be honest, that reflects poorly on yourself.

Secondly, if you denounce the use of words to articulate thoughts, then how are we going to have a discussion? I was merely trying to CLARIFY the distinction between terms brought up by others who REQUESTED to make the distinction in the first place. You need to stop being so defensive in this regard. Not everything is an attack on you.

Thirdly, you still have yet to provide explanations behind your opinions. You only state that "he has no heart". Your reasoning? "Because. Just look at him." That, my friend, is not exactly a wealth of proof.

Like Lleytian and I, we have backed up our opinions with specific observations that make our opinions somewhat logical. All you have done is basically say "believe what I said, because I said it."

Again, it's not an attack, so quit being so defensive. I was just asking for a better idea of what you're arguing for.

Well said. He attacks anyone and everyone who remotely disagrees with him. If you do your an idiot. LOL!

Why are they called opinions?

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:53 PM

LOL...what? So Nadal does not have HEART? That's all he shows...please don't get into this if you are just making absurd comments.

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:55 PM

I can see you lost nerve .. As for other things you wrote I dont know, should I read them or what ? Keep it calm mate, this is not a way to make a constructive conversation, me thinking differently that you is just a fact of life, you defend your point and Ill defend mine and swearing and stuff is really out of place. Facts and proves , no swearing pls.

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 05:56 PM

challenger its ok, we still have to make sure we dont stoop to their level, cause if we do, we might get as incompetent and ******** as them,

now now, we wont to end up like that now would we;)

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I can see you lost nerve .. As for other things you wrote I dont know, should I read them or what ? Keep it calm mate, this is not a way to make a constructive conversation, me thinking differently that you is just a fact of life, you defend your point and Ill defend mine and swearing and stuff is really out of place. Facts and proves , no swearing pls.

sorry didnt know you were so sensitive. would you like a tissue;) facts and proves is all what i provided other than just basing it off on your bias opinion

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
challenger its ok, we still have to make sure we dont stoop to their level, cause if we do, we might get as incompetent and ******** as them,

Let me ask you - what makes you competent to say someone has a heart or not ? Playing tennis ? How come ?

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 05:58 PM

sorry if I sounded defensive...Jersey does have dirty water though,,,it was rag on you....you are being a little too sensitive.

C'mon...I have discussed what heart is and Andy does not show it.

daddy
08-14-2007, 06:00 PM
sorry didnt know you were so sensitive. would you like a tissue;) facts and proves is all what i provided other than just basing it off on your bias opinion

Okay were back to facts. Why doesnt he beat fed then > heart + his obvious talent + his condition and drive / seems he lacks nothing. Why doesnt he beat him for crying out loud ????

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Well said. He attacks anyone and everyone who remotely disagrees with him. If you do your an idiot. LOL!

Why are they called opinions?

not true. could care less about yours.

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 06:02 PM

look who's the hipocrite b&tch now...you are lame little man. I just figured out you are a 13 year old virgin or a complete *****...one of the two.

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 06:04 PM
LOL...what? So Nadal does not have HEART? That's all he shows...please don't get into this if you are just making absurd comments.

I said nothing about Nadal, you did. :) It wasn't an absurd comment, you made it. Saying Roddick shows heart then doesn't have any. LOL! Can you not remember what you wrote?

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
not true. could care less about yours.

See. I have a difference of opinion and you shoot me down. Wow.

Ignorance is bliss I see.

Lleytian3
I said nothing about Nadal, you did. :) It wasn't an absurd comment, you made it. Saying Roddick shows heart then doesn't have any. LOL! Can you not remember what you wrote?

its ok tennispro, we have to remember he is not too intelligent to begin with;)

Challenger
sorry if I sounded defensive...Jersey does have dirty water though,,,it was rag on you....you are being a little too sensitive.

C'mon...I have discussed what heart is and Andy does not show it.

The health hazards of New Jersey water has already been well documented, but I still see no relation to the topic at hand. For what it's worth, I drink only from bottled water.

And again, instead of stating your reasoning, you resort to "He is, because I said so." This form of argument is resembling grade school level. I'm trying my very hardest not to insult you here, but I'm hoping you can at least display high-school equivalent intelligence, so that we can have a relatively mature debate here.

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 06:07 PM
its ok tennispro, we have to remember he is not too intelligent to begin with;)

Yeah, I am beginning to figure that out. :o

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 06:29 PM

You trolling moron. I said he showed it once, but that does not mean he has it. I did not saying showing in general...quite opposite. Roddick rarely shows while Nadal always does. It was an example you twit. Go away newbie...I will no longer banter with a child.

daddy
08-14-2007, 06:32 PM
You trolling moron. I said he showed it once, but that does not mean he has it. I did not saying showing in general...quite opposite. Roddick rarely shows while Nadal always does. It was an example you twit. Go away newbie...I will no longer banter with a child.

Can we keep the emotions down a bit ? I know where are you coming from and agree but just keep it cool .. Once is more like exception than the rule so we agree but others have a right to think differently..

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 06:37 PM

So I am a troll, a twit, a newbie and a child. I haven't called you anything. Just disagreeing with what YOU WROTE. LOL! Well I think I am done here as I can see that there is no communicating with you on an adult level. Thanks for being so mature. ;)

B Dub
08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I saw him punch that kitten, too.

George Bush issued a statement calling it "unacceptable", and saying that "Americans are a kind people, not a kitten-punching people".

Just for the record, "daddy" and "slappano", you guys are doing nothing but parsing words, with your "there's a difference between heart and passion" arguments.

What's the difference between Roddick now and Roddick in a world without Federer? About 10 grand slams, that's what.

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Can we keep the emotions down a bit ? I know where are you coming from and agree but just keep it cool .. Once is more like exception than the rule so we agree but others have a right to think differently..

Thank you. Just trying to have a normal conversation here. You have made some good points which I have plainly not disagreed with at all. BTW welcome to the Forum. :)

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
The health hazards of New Jersey water has already been well documented, but I still see no relation to the topic at hand. For what it's worth, I drink only from bottled water.

And again, instead of stating your reasoning, you resort to "He is, because I said so." This form of argument is resembling grade school level. I'm trying my very hardest not to insult you here, but I'm hoping you can at least display high-school equivalent intelligence, so that we can have a relatively mature debate here.

I thought I was clear earlier. Guess not.

Its when Roddick (or any other player for that matter) is down in a match. He shows no fight. He whines, throws his racquet, makes an absurd amount of faces, he lacks fire..the fire to come back. He just gives up in so may matches when his serve is not doing well or his opponent (lesser ones) is playing inspired tennis. He just shows anger and a petulant attitude towards the linespeople and refs. He makes it seem ist their fault he missed a line or double faulted. He talks a big game but rarerly stands by it. He will talk about a player, like Federer and how he could beat him, yet spanks his hairy bottom. To give you an idea of what I look for in heart, I look at Nadal and Federer (mostly because their games interest me more than all the robotic Davydenko's out there). I see how badly they want to win hen they are down. I am not saying their HEART never allows them to lose, but its shows even grander in defeat. Roddick cries and whines acts like a BIG jerk...not those type of players. They show their heart by how they fight back...not make rude gestures or comments. Its easy to win and be happy in the lead. Heart is shown when you are down 2 sets, its hot, your game is not at its best....I could not even count the amount of times Sampras was in those situations and he wins. Roddick basically loses 90% of the time.

Maybe Roddick is an ok guy to his peers and people he knows...I don't know that Roddick and really don't care. I am talking about his tennis game, intelligence on court and his LACK OF HEART.

will you cut be a break now?;)

daddy
08-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Thank you. Just trying to have a normal conversation here. You have made some good points which I have plainly not disagreed with at all. BTW welcome to the Forum. :)

Tnx. I love tennis so much and this forum is what I needed for a long time ! So I am happy to be here and looking forward to exchanging thoughts and opinions with all of you, maybe picking up some tricks along the way ! Sorry for bad english though , not my native !

Challenger

Wow, no kidding. He's starting to lose it. I sure hope this isn't how he debates in real life, by pulling a McEnroe tantrum whenever loses a point. :D (I'm just kidding...please don't go off on me, too)

Azzurri

you're right. Just annoys me when someone trolls. I will still ignore him though.

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Tnx. I love tennis so much and this forum is what I needed for a long time ! So I am happy to be here and looking forward to exchanging thoughts and opinions with all of you, maybe picking up some tricks along the way ! Sorry for bad english though , not my native !

You are doing fine with your English. I understand you fine. :)

daddy
08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
I thought I was clear earlier. Guess not.

Its when Roddick (or any other player for that matter) is down in a match. He shows no fight. He whines, throws his racquet, makes an absurd amount of faces, he lacks fire..the fire to come back. He just gives up in so may matches when his serve is not doing well or his opponent (lesser ones) is playing inspired tennis. He just shows anger and a petulant attitude towards the linespeople and refs. He makes it seem ist their fault he missed a line or double faulted. He talks a big game but rarerly stands by it. He will talk about a player, like Federer and how he could beat him, yet spanks his hairy bottom. To give you an idea of what I look for in heart, I look at Nadal and Federer (mostly because their games interest me more than all the robotic Davydenko's out there). I see how badly they want to win hen they are down. I am not saying their HEART never allows them to lose, but its shows even grander in defeat. Roddick cries and whines acts like a BIG jerk...not those type of players. They show their heart by how they fight back...not make rude gestures or comments. Its easy to win and be happy in the lead. Heart is shown when you are down 2 sets, its hot, your game is not at its best....I could not even count the amount of times Sampras was in those situations and he wins. Roddick basically loses 90% of the time.

Maybe Roddick is an ok guy to his peers and people he knows...I don't know that Roddick and really don't care. I am talking about his tennis game, intelligence on court and his LACK OF HEART.

will you cut be a break now?;)

Its not always that when guys are so emotional , that they are bad players. It just seems that mcnroe was able to pick up the game after fights with umpires and ivanisevic, safin and rod are not . That is a big difference !

And btw , Ivanisevic is a croat and I was so happy for him although I am serb, when he got the wimbledon ! This is sports and he did really really deserved it ! Fair play and let the better guy win ! Cheers !

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I saw him punch that kitten, too.

George Bush issued a statement calling it "unacceptable", and saying that "Americans are a kind people, not a kitten-punching people".

Just for the record, "daddy" and "slappano", you guys are doing nothing but parsing words, with your "there's a difference between heart and passion" arguments.

What's the difference between Roddick now and Roddick in a world without Federer? About 10 grand slams, that's what.

The problem with this statement is its a total guess on your part. Means very little. So you are saying Roddick would be a 10 time slam winner...you are so funny. Wow...this thread keeps getting better. Hope I did not offend you.

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 06:44 PM
you're right. Just annoys me when someone trolls. I will still ignore him though.

So trolling is when someone disagrees with something you said, and tells you. I guess maybe you think you overreacted now, eh?

daddy
08-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Wow, no kidding. He's starting to lose it. I sure hope this isn't how he debates in real life, by pulling a McEnroe tantrum whenever loses a point. :D (I'm just kidding...please don't go off on me, too)

Will not, dont worry.

Ps roddick sucks .. ha ha !

;)

ktownva
08-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Why must you all doubt old Andy's heart? He has been a part of some of the most hardfought battles in tennis history!

vs Younes in OZ
vs Tursonov in Davis Cup
vs Nadal in Davis Cup
vs Chang @ RG
vs Hewitt @ USO (can you say ROBBED?)

How often has he quit during a match, or took injury timeouts, or dissed the press after bitter defeats? Most of you haters would crumble under similar pressure.

Challenger
08-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Its when Roddick (or any other player for that matter) is down in a match. He shows no fight. He whines, throws his racquet, makes an absurd amount of faces, he lacks fire..the fire to come back. He just gives up in so may matches when his serve is not doing well or his opponent (lesser ones) is playing inspired tennis. He just shows anger and a petulant attitude towards the linespeople and refs.

While I don't disagree that Roddick can throw tantrums (he often does), it still doesn't suggest he is giving up. It shows frustration, for sure, but that stems from wanting to win.

I also don't see this "giving up" bit you're talking about. Even when he's down, you'll notice he's still going after balls (commentators also often point this out)and making a concerted effort on his serve. You can say that's a matter of pride and not because of heart, but to me that's pretty much splitting hairs, and both cases therefore means he IS trying, regardless of what the reason may be.

He makes it seem ist their fault he missed a line or double faulted.

To be fair, MANY players seem to think refs and line judges mistake a call...and as shot spot has proved, players have been right to argue at times. When it's proved he actually DID miss, I don't recall him ever continuing to argue that he was right.

He talks a big game but rarerly stands by it. He will talk about a player, like Federer and how he could beat him, yet spanks his hairy bottom.

Well, being top 5 in the world IS standing by it, IMO. Also, what you say about him talking about Federer is off the mark. Roddick is NOTORIOUS for his self-deprecating humor and has made it known in many interviews how Fed wipes the floor with him. Ever see his interview after AO '07? He was fully willing to admit how thoroughly Federer defeated him. I remember another interviewer asking how he felt about Federer losing early in a tournament, and Roddick basically said "Thank God, because I didn't want to face him". How is that being cocky towards Roger?

To give you an idea of what I look for in heart, I look at Nadal and Federer (mostly because their games interest me more than all the robotic Davydenko's out there). I see how badly they want to win hen they are down. I am not saying their HEART never allows them to lose, but its shows even grander in defeat.

Those are the #1 and #2 players of the league (by a far margin). You think Roddick compares to them? Just because he doesn't show the same LEVEL, doesn't mean he doesn't have any at all. That's a logical fallacy you displayed there.

Moreover, displaying "heart" is unique to the individual. Federer, even when losing, doesn't seem unnerved or even concerned that he lost. He's usually jovial during inter views. Nadal is a polar opposite. He's fiery and intense while losing, and externally posturing his confidence. When he loses, he's usually somber and serious. Two different personalities, showing two different displays of "heart".

Roddick cries and whines acts like a BIG jerk...not those type of players. They show their heart by how they fight back...not make rude gestures or comments. Its easy to win and be happy in the lead. Heart is shown when you are down 2 sets, its hot, your game is not at its best....I could not even count the amount of times Sampras was in those situations and he wins. Roddick basically loses 90% of the time.

That's not a question of heart, but rather ability. Roddick is a one-dimensional player. If that aspect breaks down, it's very hard to come back (unlike Sampras or Federer, who both have great range and variety in their games to resort to).

This still does not suggest Roddick "gives up", as I've said before (and many commentators attest to), he does tough it out, even in lopsided losses. And during post interviews? He clearly shows he's dejected about the loss and that he cares. Remember how down he got on himself after losing to Murray last year? He basically ripped himself, and stated how he wanted to get better.

...Hence the hiring of Jimmy Connors, who, IMO, is a great judge of "heart". I doubt he'd coach Roddick if he didn't see anything in him.

Also, much better argument this time. Let's try to do this, instead of having you resort to name-calling, please.;)

daddy
08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Why must you all doubt old Andy's heart? He has been a part of some of the most hardfought battles in tennis history!

vs Younes in OZ
vs Tursonov in Davis Cup
vs Nadal in Davis Cup
vs Chang @ RG

How often has he quit during a match, or took injury timeouts, or dissed the press after bitter defeats? Most of you haters would crumble under similar pressure.

Point well made. Thats like 5 of the 400 or so matches played ( guess ) .. Okay fair enough. But whats really the thing for me here is that hes not been able to producte the goods at very highest level since whenever he meets a very high ranked oponent , better ranked than him and in closing stages of the tournament he kind of backs off. Remember Hass dismantling him earlier this year ? Or remember him not being able to shrug off Baghdatis in Aussie ? So there are many examples but I do think he seems to boost himself off court, while giving pre match interviews and shows little of that on court, especially as I said on top level.

I used to cheer guys I loved against him, but last week I did not watch djoko against him, I kind of knew the outcome. Sad but true, I did not bother to watch the match. I was more afraid of Kiefer ..

Azzurri
08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
While I don't disagree that Roddick can throw tantrums (he often does), it still doesn't suggest he is giving up. It shows frustration, for sure, but that stems from wanting to win.

I also don't see this "giving up" bit you're talking about. Even when he's down, you'll notice he's still going after balls (commentators also often point this out)and making a concerted effort on his serve. You can say that's a matter of pride and not because of heart, but to me that's pretty much splitting hairs, and both cases therefore means he IS trying, regardless of what the reason may be.

To be fair, MANY players seem to think refs and line judges mistake a call...and as shot spot has proved, players have been right to argue at times. When it's proved he actually DID miss, I don't recall him ever continuing to argue that he was right.

Well, being top 5 in the world IS standing by it, IMO. Also, what you say about him talking about Federer is off the mark. Roddick is NOTORIOUS for his self-deprecating humor and has made it known in many interviews how Fed wipes the floor with him. Ever see his interview after AO '07? He was fully willing to admit how thoroughly Federer defeated him. I remember another interviewer asking how he felt about Federer losing early in a tournament, and Roddick basically said "Thank God, because I didn't want to face him". How is that being cocky towards Roger?

Those are the #1 and #2 players of the league (by a far margin). You think Roddick compares to them? Just because he doesn't show the same LEVEL, doesn't mean he doesn't have any at all. That's a logical fallacy you displayed there.

Moreover, displaying "heart" is unique to the individual. Federer, even when losing, doesn't seem unnerved or even concerned that he lost. He's usually jovial during inter views. Nadal is a polar opposite. He's fiery and intense while losing, and externally posturing his confidence. When he loses, he's usually somber and serious. Two different personalities, showing two different displays of "heart".

That's not a question of heart, but rather ability. Roddick is a one-dimensional player. If that aspect breaks down, it's very hard to come back (unlike Sampras or Federer, who both have great range and variety in their games to resort to).

This still does not suggest Roddick "gives up", as I've said before (and many commentators attest to), he does tough it out, even in lopsided losses. And during post interviews? He clearly shows he's dejected about the loss and that he cares. Remember how down he got on himself after losing to Murray last year? He basically ripped himself, and stated how he wanted to get better.

...Hence the hiring of Jimmy Connors, who, IMO, is a great judge of "heart". I doubt he'd coach Roddick if he didn't see anything in him.

Also, much better argument this time. Let's try to do this, instead of having you resort to name-calling, please.;)

agree to disagree.

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 07:10 PM

vs Younes in OZ
vs Tursonov in Davis Cup
vs Nadal in Davis Cup
vs Chang @ RG

hold up buddy. ROBBED?!? no, no. roddick was young back then, he wasnt robbed of the match. lets remember he was still down whether or not the call was in. IMO hewitt would have still won the match, but it would have been closer. careful, now. i totally agree with you otherwise

Challenger
08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
agree to disagree.

What part of my post would you disagree with, and why? I think I pretty clearly showed that some of your observations were slightly skewed and off the mark. If anything I said was wrong, point it out and tell me why I'm wrong. I'm more than willing to hear it.

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 07:14 PM
What part of my post would you disagree with, and why? I think I pretty clearly showed that some of your observations were slightly skewed and off the mark. If anything I said was wrong, point it out and tell me why I'm wrong. I'm more than willing to hear it.

He knows he is wrong dude. Else why would he still be ignoring me. You have made some great points I might add. I wouldn't like to debate against you. :)

daddy
08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
hold up buddy. ROBBED?!? no, no. roddick was young back then, he wasnt robbed of the match. lets remember he was still down whether or not the call was in. IMO hewitt would have still won the match, but it would have been closer. careful, now. i totally agree with you otherwise

And if he hold the nerve ? Maybe he would preveil , who can say otherwise ? Once again, lack of fight coming from lighthearted aproach.

"I am robbed, mama help me ?"

Play mate, play and shut up and thats the way to go ..

Lleytian3
08-14-2007, 07:23 PM
And if he hold the nerve ? Maybe he would preveil , who can say otherwise ? Once again, lack of fight coming from lighthearted aproach.

please dont tell me you would have not lost your nerve in that kind of situation, if memory serves i think that was only his third year on tour. there is no way to deal with that kind of thing when you are so young on tour. dont be cute and bash him for such an unfortuante incident

daddy
08-14-2007, 07:29 PM
please dont tell me you would have not lost your nerve in that kind of situation, if memory serves i think that was only his third year on tour. there is no way to deal with that kind of thing when you are so young on tour. dont be cute and bash him for such an unfortuante incident

Weeel, yes you got this right. I broke my racquet twice due to such things. Last time I broke my leg trying to hard to recover from somethign similar but hey - Im not a pro friend ! They are raised and have quite a lot of experience in juniors and I do belive linensmen make mistakes all the time, its just hard not to these days, so he should have learned to deal with it. Maybe not to forget instantly but at least to try to get it out of his head for a while and get the job done .. Not easy, but the more you get into this bashing and talking and everything, less likely you are going to be able to get back on track and win!

ktownva
08-14-2007, 07:32 PM

That call affected the match, no doubt about it. That it is still vividly remembered 6 years later by all says something (that it was a bad call).

daddy
08-14-2007, 07:36 PM
That call affected the match, no doubt about it. That it is still vividly remembered 6 years later by all says something (that it was a bad call).

Hey it happenes. Maradona scored with his hand remember ? Rod hits hard, bals change shape while in contact with the ground, there was no hawk eye and linespeople are human ( hop rod will not kill some of them ) and what is most embarassing is that he things its a masterplan to take HIM out .. Nevermind, look where that got him to ..

ktownva
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey it happenes. Maradona scored with his hand remember ? Rod hits hard, bals change shape while in contact with the ground, there was no hawk eye and linespeople are human ( hop rod will not kill some of them ) and what is most embarassing is that he things its a masterplan to take HIM out .. Nevermind, look where that got him to ..

Yeah, it's history. But that match was so freaking ON and NYC was rocking. Lame *** call f'd up everything.

redsoxrock930
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I can't believe you say he will never beat the top players again, he is one of the top players. The only thing i find surprising is that his weakness is his backhand and Jimmy Connors is his coach.

Mickeman
08-14-2007, 08:55 PM

I'm not taking sides here, but wouldn't it be funny if the linesmen would curse out tennis players when challenge and are proven wrong? "-Shut up and play tennis! Leave the calls to us professionals". I have to give the linesmen a lot of respect. I can't even see a 90 mph serve that is close to the line.

Azzurri
08-15-2007, 06:30 AM

lack of fight is right on Daddy!

Azzurri
08-15-2007, 06:33 AM

now who's being close-minded? I explained to you and everyone on the boards. It is MY OPINION and neither you or anyone else will change my PERCEPTION of Roddick and his ability to fight back from difficult situations.

MacKenzie
08-15-2007, 06:35 AM
I think Hewitt and Roddick are over rated. And now they can't live up to what's expected. I'm not necessarily saying it's their fault. I think the media just might have something to do with this. ;)

Challenger
08-15-2007, 07:55 AM
now who's being close-minded? I explained to you and everyone on the boards. It is MY OPINION and neither you or anyone else will change my PERCEPTION of Roddick and his ability to fight back from difficult situations.

It's funny you should say that, because it's your post that actually reeks of close-mindedness. When you're presented with arguments that prove your opinions to the contrary, it's only logical to then change your opinions, to open up your mind to other possibilities...not to stubbornly hold on to your old beliefs.

If you dislike Roddick simply because you don't like him, that's fine, I suppose. But, to come up with BS that he plays with no "heart" is absurd.

I wasn't saying you can't have an opinion, I merely presented an opposing argument to your opinions...an argument you have yet to defend against. Isn't it thus reasonable to expect you to (1) show me why I'm wrong, or (2) concede that you are wrong, and change your opinion? That's the purpose of a debate, no?

Otherwise, it'd be like a child insisting the Tooth Fairy is real, even despite evidence showing it to be false.

tennispro11
08-15-2007, 08:12 AM

Yeah you have your opinion and we have ours. The only difference is, you attack anyone and everyone who disagrees with you. Then you call them names and question their intelligence. Speaks volumes about you doesn't it?

daddy
08-15-2007, 09:17 AM
I can't believe you say he will never beat the top players again, he is one of the top players. The only thing i find surprising is that his weakness is his backhand and Jimmy Connors is his coach.

No no you got me wrong, hell beat some few and far between, but I think hes not able to do that consistently. Hell beat Djoko a couple of times, Rafa on hard once or twice and thats it. Fed got him in his pocket and he can deal with others in top 50/50 but in order to be better than nr4 he has to beat them most of the time and not once in a while and thats why I think hell not be back in nr1 or nr2 anytime in the remainder of his playing days. He can prove me wrong but at this moment I cant see that happening, he was in a great form this couple of last weeks and yet - he lost to djoko. And remember how he was soooo confident in a prematch interview ?

Lleytian3
08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I think Hewitt and Roddick are over rated. And now they can't live up to what's expected. I'm not necessarily saying it's their fault. I think the media just might have something to do with this. ;)

overrated. so andy ranked in the top 5 for the past 2 or 3 years is overrated. please. you cant be overrated when you post that kind of results. everybody rushes to say hewitt is done, blah blah blah. he just had a kid and beginging set in the family life. remember agassi struggled a bit too when he had his first kid. dont be so quick to rush to conclusions

Azzurri
08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
It's funny you should say that, because it's your post that actually reeks of close-mindedness. When you're presented with arguments that prove your opinions to the contrary, it's only logical to then change your opinions, to open up your mind to other possibilities...not to stubbornly hold on to your old beliefs.

If you dislike Roddick simply because you don't like him, that's fine, I suppose. But, to come up with BS that he plays with no "heart" is absurd.

I wasn't saying you can't have an opinion, I merely presented an opposing argument to your opinions...an argument you have yet to defend against. Isn't it thus reasonable to expect you to (1) show me why I'm wrong, or (2) concede that you are wrong, and change your opinion? That's the purpose of a debate, no?

Otherwise, it'd be like a child insisting the Tooth Fairy is real, even despite evidence showing it to be false.

I don't even know what to say. You expect me to change my mind about Roddick based on your OPINION? Your rebuttals are your OPINIONS...I have mine. I am not being close-minded...I just don't agree with you. Why is it you can't accept that? You seem like a strange guy at this point. First I thought/seemed you were ok, but now I think you are just wanting to so badly change my mind based on YOUR OPINION....STRANGE.

Evidence? That is a stupid analogy...the tooth fairy. A child believing in the tooth fairy IS NOT an OPINION. Its a FAITH....

I really don't care if you like Roddick or hate him. He is an excellent player with a lot of talent. But IN MY OPINION he lacks HEART....showed it again today. Even Mac makes little comments about Roddick and kisses everyone's *****.

Azzurri
08-16-2007, 12:11 PM
overrated. so andy ranked in the top 5 for the past 2 or 3 years is overrated. please. you cant be overrated when you post that kind of results. everybody rushes to say hewitt is done, blah blah blah. he just had a kid and beginging set in the family life. remember agassi struggled a bit too when he had his first kid. dont be so quick to rush to conclusions

Good points. I don't think either player is overrated. They are both top flight players. No one considers them great, but they are certainly not overrated in terms of their RECORDS.

Hewitt seems to be getting his confidence back, hired Roach and seems to be happy (having his first child). What Agassi did was extraordinary and I don't see Hewitt winning 4 more majors, but I could see him contend and make some waves.

Lleytian3
08-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Good points. I don't think either player is overrated. They are both top flight players. No one considers them great, but they are certainly not overrated in terms of their RECORDS.

Hewitt seems to be getting his confidence back, hired Roach and seems to be happy (having his first child). What Agassi did was extraordinary and I don't see Hewitt winning 4 more majors, but I could see him contend and make some waves.

i have to agree, i dont see hewitt winning 4 more majors either, especially with joker, nadal, n fed around. but he could give them problems and contend for majors

Azzurri
08-16-2007, 05:34 PM
i have to agree, i dont see hewitt winning 4 more majors either, especially with joker, nadal, n fed around. but he could give them problems and contend for majors

It basically depends on 3 factors (pretty logical) for the US Open

1. The draw: Where is he placed. Who does he have to go through.

2. The field: Hewitt may need an early upset of a higher ranked type player prior to say the 4th round.

3. Mental Attitude: Is his wife a pain that week. Maybe the baby is teething...lots of things can distract you when you have your family in tow. He obviously likes them around (nice part about him), so I would assume he see them quite a bit during tourneys. Its not like they have seperate hotel rooms and he sees them a couple hours a day. I could be way off though.

If he is in a favorable draw, one or to upsets and he may go pretty far...or he just plays out of his mind and wins it by beating Fed and Nadal on the way.

All the top guys on the tour have the same amount of talent more or less. Its their HEART that seperates them...:p

mileslong
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
right on the money with that post...