PDA

View Full Version : New Racquet - from PDR to ???

TravelinMan
08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
As many others here, I'm searching for a new stick. First the basics:

Age - 47
Size - 6'3"
Yrs Playing - been playing on and off for over 25yrs
Level - low 3.5
Left Handed
FH - eastern grip, flat forehand with occasional minor topspin
BH - one handed slice, trying to develop a flat backhand but I can make the ball dance with my slice
Serve - first serve slice, second is a weak kick. developing a stronger flat serve
Game - All court junk baller and I like to shoot for the lines (playing more doubles these days than I used to)
Current Racquet - Babolat Pure Drive Roddick, NXT 17 on the mains, Luxilon Ace 18 on the crosses, both at 60lbs (been playing this stick for about a year). I went to this string set up to be able to control the PDR.
Reason for Change - With more doubles play, I feel that I can't manuver the PDR very well at the net. Also, near the end of a long match, my arm starts to feel like putty and some lingering soreness in my middle deltoid.

So looking for something a little lighter, more maneuverable, a little more control and less power.

Here's my take on the demo's so far (in order of how I tried them):
Head Extreme - Liked the racquet but had a little trouble with control. Could not serve well with it. May try it again.

Prince Speedport Black - Really liked this racquet. Manuverable, good spin, great serving. This is my main contender.

Head Microgel Radical 107 - Hated this one from the get go. Could not get the head around for most of my shots.

Prince Speedport Red - Nice feel, served well with it but could not control my ground strokes, was taking half swings to keep the ball from flying.

Prince Speedport Tour - I played well with this all around in a doubles match but it felt a little heavy and that my game is not up to the ability of the racquet.

Wilson K Zen - OK on ground strokes but could not serve or volley well with it. Just did not feel comfortable swinging it.

Prince O3 White - This was my runner up to the PDR last year. I still like the racquet all around and served very well with it but it was a little too powerful. I could go with this and string near the high end of its range or the Black and string middle to low end. Liked the Black better.

Next Up - Yonex RDS003, Babolat Pure Storm?, Any others to suggest given my current trend?

I plan to narrow this to the top 2 then try them again.

Thanks,
T

TravelinMan
08-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Sorry for the Dup post

Please ignore / delete this one.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DavidGarcia
08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Why should we ignore?

It was now getting interesting since I also have a PDR and wanted to know which one you were going for.

I seem to have the same problem than you with the PDR so I just changed to a nBlade 98 and loving the change so far.

It is a lot more flexible than the PDR and has a lot more control......missing the power from the PRD though but well has too much stiftness for my taste.

Have you given a go at a nBlade?