PDA

View Full Version : New Racquet - from PDR to ???

TravelinMan
08-13-2007, 11:16 AM
As many others here, I'm searching for a new stick. First the basics:

Age - 47
Size - 6'3"
Yrs Playing - been playing on and off for over 25yrs
Level - low 3.5
Left Handed
FH - eastern grip, flat forehand with occasional minor topspin
BH - one handed slice, trying to develop a flat backhand but I can make the ball dance with my slice
Serve - first serve slice, second is a weak kick. developing a stronger flat serve
Game - All court junk baller and I like to shoot for the lines (playing more doubles these days than I used to)
Current Racquet - Babolat Pure Drive Roddick, NXT 17 on the mains, Luxilon Ace 18 on the crosses, both at 60lbs (been playing this stick for about a year). I went to this string set up to be able to control the PDR.
Reason for Change - With more doubles play, I feel that I can't manuver the PDR very well at the net. Also, near the end of a long match, my arm starts to feel like putty and some lingering soreness in my middle deltoid.

So looking for something a little lighter, more maneuverable, a little more control and less power.

Here's my take on the demo's so far (in order of how I tried them):
Head Extreme - Liked the racquet but had a little trouble with control. Could not serve well with it. May try it again.

Prince Speedport Black - Really liked this racquet. Manuverable, good spin, great serving. This is my main contender.

Head Microgel Radical 107 - Hated this one from the get go. Could not get the head around for most of my shots.

Prince Speedport Red - Nice feel, served well with it but could not control my ground strokes, was taking half swings to keep the ball from flying.

Prince Speedport Tour - I played well with this all around in a doubles match but it felt a little heavy and that my game is not up to the ability of the racquet.

Wilson K Zen - OK on ground strokes but could not serve or volley well with it. Just did not feel comfortable swinging it.

Prince O3 White - This was my runner up to the PDR last year. I still like the racquet all around and served very well with it but it was a little too powerful. I could go with this and string near the high end of its range or the Black and string middle to low end. Liked the Black better.

Next Up - Yonex RDS003, Babolat Pure Storm?, Any others to suggest given my current trend?

I plan to narrow this to the top 2 then try them again.

Thanks,
T

tennisntn3477
08-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Be careful with the Extreme is you're having some muscle issues - for me, it's got more vibration than any racquet I've tested over the last couple of years.

Hear good things about the Speedport Black and I got good results with the Speedport Red with Gamma Asterisk Spin @ 60 pounds.

Would definitely test the Pure Storm and the Aeropro Drive, since you've played with a Babolat for the last year.

Another test you might make is the Head (LM or FXP) Instinct. The weight and balance of the racquet seem tailor made for one-handed drive backhands. And it's 'cheap' now.

soggyramen
08-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Age - 47
Size - 6'3"
Level - low 3.5
Left Handed
BH - one handed slice, trying to develop a flat backhand but I can make the ball dance with my slice
Serve - first serve slice, second is a weak kick. developing a stronger flat serve
Game - All court junk baller and I like to shoot for the lines (playing more doubles these days than I used to)
Current Racquet - Babolat Pure Drive Roddick, NXT 17 on the mains, Luxilon Ace 18 on the crosses, both at 60lbs (been playing this stick for about a year). I went to this string set up to be able to control the PDR.
Reason for Change - With more doubles play, I feel that I can't manuver the PDR very well at the net. Also, near the end of a long match, my arm starts to feel like putty and some lingering soreness in my middle deltoid.

So looking for something a little lighter, more maneuverable, a little more control and less power.

Head Extreme - Liked the racquet but had a little trouble with control. Could not serve well with it. May try it again.

Prince Speedport Black - Really liked this racquet. Manuverable, good spin, great serving. This is my main contender.

Head Microgel Radical 107 - Hated this one from the get go. Could not get the head around for most of my shots.

Prince Speedport Red - Nice feel, served well with it but could not control my ground strokes, was taking half swings to keep the ball from flying.

Prince Speedport Tour - I played well with this all around in a doubles match but it felt a little heavy and that my game is not up to the ability of the racquet.

Wilson K Zen - OK on ground strokes but could not serve or volley well with it. Just did not feel comfortable swinging it.

Prince O3 White - This was my runner up to the PDR last year. I still like the racquet all around and served very well with it but it was a little too powerful. I could go with this and string near the high end of its range or the Black and string middle to low end. Liked the Black better.

Next Up - Yonex RDS003, Babolat Pure Storm?, Any others to suggest given my current trend?

Thanks,
T

no doubt try the new pure storm since it has a little more power than the old one or try the tour. they're really great racquets in my opinion the best babolat has to offer

pow
08-13-2007, 12:31 PM
I use a flat forehand and through my extensive demoing experience I seem to prefer smaller headsizes and tighter string patterns... oh, and low stiffness. That's just me, but maybe throwing in a racquet with those specs into your demo list wouldn't hurt.

Hey, I'm just curious, How much do you go through strings? A PDR with very thin polyester crosses sawing through soft main thin gauge string makes me think the NXT breaks a lot. But I've never tried it personally so I'm wondering how you're doing with it.

TravelinMan
08-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I use a flat forehand and through my extensive demoing experience I seem to prefer smaller headsizes and tighter string patterns... oh, and low stiffness. That's just me, but maybe throwing in a racquet with those specs into your demo list wouldn't hurt.

Hey, I'm just curious, How much do you go through strings? A PDR with very thin polyester crosses sawing through soft main thin gauge string makes me think the NXT breaks a lot. But I've never tried it personally so I'm wondering how you're doing with it.

I have never broken a string. I play about twice a week and swap out 2 PDRs and I change the strings about every 2 months. I switch to the Poly on the crosses several months ago to try and control the PDR and it made a world of difference.

Jonny S&V
08-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Age - 47
Size - 6'3"
Level - low 3.5
Left Handed

Thanks,
T

If you are looking for something lighter, Dunlop M-fil 300 or the Prince TT Warrior MP are both very good racquets if you are looking for something on the lighter side.

FedUp
08-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I have found the the Prince O3 Speedport Black is a great, and very cusomizable frame. Compare its specs with the PDR and you'll find that it might complement your game well. Put in some good poly in the mains and tone it down it with a multi in the crosses and you can't go wrong. I also like the port grommet system.

DavidGarcia
08-13-2007, 11:59 PM
I used to play with a PDR, well it is still sitting on my tennis bag, and I used to have the same problems than you that is why I moved to a nBlade 98.
Since then my game has improved a lot.

Have you thought of giving the nBlade a go?

TravelinMan
08-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Demo'd 2 new racquets today in my quest for a new stick.

Yonex RDS003 - I liked the weight and the balance but I found it had too much power for me or my swing is not refined enough to keep it in the court. Off both wings the ball was flying high and long.

Wilson nBlade - I had tried this racquet a couple of years ago and decided to give it another go, plus several people on the board recommended it. I liked the weight and feel, serves were ok, volleys were great and FH were very nice. Where I had trouble was on my service return and BH slice. I could not control my returns and I felt like the racquet would not bite enough for my slice. I often got a floater and could get a consistent driving slice. Strings may help this racquet so I will not discount it. It's in my top three with the Prince Black and the Head Extreme.

Next up - I'm am not totally giving up on Yonex so I want to try the RDS002. Anyone have an opinion on this compared to the RDS003. I still want to try the Babolat Pure Storm as well.

TravelinMan
08-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Demo'd another 2 racquets today.

Babolat Pure Storm - This racquet felt very good with ground strokes. I was able to whip the head around easily. Volleys were fairly crisp but lacked a some punch. I also could not get a good serve. The racquet was a bit light and I could not get a good pop on the serve.

Yonex RDS 002 - I hit some good ground strokes with this one, though had some issues with depth. Serves were good with some nice pop. Volleys is where this racquet disappointed. Felt good hitting in the sweet spot but any off center hits would create a lot of vibration through my wrist and arm.

Well now to pick the top two. The Prince Black is one and the Head Extreme may be the second. Will post the final results.

TravelinMan
08-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Well went back to demo the Prince Speedport Black with Port holes. Overall I liked this racquet best. Played about 2 hrs on Thursday, 1 hr Friday, and hit with the ball machine for an 1 1/2 today. So far I hove no shoulder soreness. With my PDR, my arm would feel like a dead weight by now.

So looks like I will get the Black. I will start with the string job that I have on the PDR, NXT 17 mains at 58lbs and Luxilon Ace 18 crosses at 56lbs.

tennisntn3477
08-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Congrats on finding one that works well for you!!

Micky
08-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Congrats on finding one that works well for you!!

Just let us know when you are back to Babolat.

fuzz nation
08-26-2007, 05:30 AM
My late vote is for a look at the Volkl DNX 9. I've found this one to be a very competent middleweight frame.

akwila
08-26-2007, 05:38 AM
If you would'nt play doubles you would keep pd?

TravelinMan
08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
If you would'nt play doubles you would keep pd?

Well I have 2 PDRs and will keep one of them but I would still switch racquets. I always thought that the PDR was too powerfull and played with a number of string setups and tensions to control the racquet. Not sure why but all of the Prince O3 and Speedport racquets felt very good to me, with the differences on whether I could control their power at the various models. The Black fit the bill very well in a balance of power and control. The Speedport Tour was also a great racquet but I think over time, it was more racquet than my skill level could handle. BTW, I liked the Port option on all the speedports that I tried.

akwila
08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
What about the new Yonex RQIS Tour? Sounds interesting...

quest01
08-26-2007, 12:26 PM
I used to play with a PDR, well it is still sitting on my tennis bag, and I used to have the same problems than you that is why I moved to a nBlade 98.
Since then my game has improved a lot.

Have you thought of giving the nBlade a go?

What was it about the PDR that you didnt like?

DavidGarcia
08-26-2007, 01:29 PM
What was it about the PDR that you didnt like?

The siffness of the PDR does not suit me at all. The Nblade is a lot more flexible and allows me to swing much better.

Steve H.
08-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey TravelinMan, sounds like you've already decided, but I'm wondering something: have you tried any lighter frames for your style of game? Our club owner/pro is a 5.0 slice/dice kind of player in his late 40's, beats you to death with dropshots, spin, and placement. He swears by oversize "tweener" racquets, he used a Head i.S4 for several years and now a Wilson n3, they suit his game very well and also don't make him tired after many hours of teaching.

TripleB
08-26-2007, 03:10 PM
MicroGel Radical Pro (100 sq in) is what you're looking for but if you want to go even lighter then try the Yonex RDS002 'Light'.

TripleB