PDA

View Full Version : I'm racquet crazy! Help me.

hades
08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Ok, I am a racquet junkie who cannot decide what to do. I am in my 40's (yes old by TT standards) and started playing about 3 years ago and am a 3.5. I have been told my serve and forehand is 4.0 while my backhand is 3.0.

I started playing with a Volkl Cat 3 and as I improved moved to the V1 Classic. Now I am playing with the Volkl Tour 10ve and Dnx 9. The pros at my club say I need to stick with the thinner beam racquets but I have less power but better control. My problem is I keep trying racquets like the DNX V1 and am trying the Becker V1 MP & OS. The becker V1 OS is great at serving and I love the power but I do not have a lot of top spin so contol is an issue. When I play with the DNX 9 for instance my control is good but depth and power is a concern. Pros keep saying less is more and it's hard when we love power and speed. I keep wavering between playing with a tweener or players racquet. I see a lot of people believe that below a 4.0 or 4.5 should not be playing with a players type racquet but I am getting better results with this type of racquet. When I go to the mid or OS I get the power but not as consistant. Should I try sticking with the OS type and improve or is the players racquet ok for some below a 4.0/4.5. I thought that when the Becker 11 light is availalbe that might be an option. A lighter players racquet that might offer control and power.

So for the long post and confusion but you can see it's a hard decision because people are different and you will get different views on this subject which makes me crazy and wonder If I will ever make a final decison and stick with it.

aidenous
08-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Yes, a good question and sounds pretty close to the same situation I'm in and I don't know what the best direction is. I also am going between a tweener and players racquet and currently playing with the Volkl DNX 9 & DNX 8. I also am thinking about trying the Becker 11 lite when it's available. Maybe someone will jump in here and give us some advice.

aidenous
08-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Ronaldo
08-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Which type of racquet are you most effective with in match play?

Steve H.
08-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Have you tried a player's oversize? I'm an even older guy (56) and have come to realize these can provide the best of both worlds -- enough power and forgiveness on mishits but with some control and stability. There are a few frames around with a head size > 105 that weigh over 11 oz -- Head Radical OS, Fischer M-Speed 105, Gamma Ipex 7.0, POG OS, Wilson nBlade might be worth a look. You can't quite whip these around the way you can a tweener, but for keeping the ball deep and in play they can't be beat, IMO. Hope this helps.

FedUp
08-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Prince O3 Speedport Black with port hole grommet.

Alafter
08-13-2007, 07:41 PM
You must do a search for my club, and sign up immediately. Search for

Racquetholic Anonymous

FedUp
08-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Racquetholic Anonymous

I think that I should definitely be a member of that club!!

Ronaldo
08-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Racquetholic Anonymous

Come on, there are so many racquets and so little time.

dunloplayah
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM
I feel your pain! I'm 35 started 1.5 years ago, and am 3.0 playing tournaments now. I went thru many many frames but finally came back to what worked best for me in the beginning. With advice of many "pros" around here (locally, not tt), i went the whole wilson OS way for my first three frames. then by placing a bid online, i got a dunlop mcenroe. it changed my game but once again, i listened to everyone telling me it was too advanced of a frame for me. So I went again in other directions. but now i'm back to my dunlops and playing better than ever with my "too advance frame"

So good luck to you, play with what works best with your strokes and game and settle it, then you have a "control" to measure your technique "variable" against.

but I have to agree, sign me up for RA! I still love frames, love looking at new and old ones, would like to own more. If you enjoy it, have the $$ for it. man do it!

JW10S
08-13-2007, 09:35 PM
It's odd that most people have an easier time choosing which house or car to buy but simply cannot decide on a tennis racquet that at most will only have a small impact on their games. Pick a racquet, any racquet, and stick with it for at least 6-9 months and focus on how you play, not what you play with.

aidenous
08-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Ok sign me up for the Racquetholic Anonymous club.

Silent
08-14-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm a low 3.0 at best. I started playing with a WalMart Wilson OS frame, which did the trick. Then after a year I bought a light 105 sq. in. frame which I didn't like very much. I tuned it a lot and found a pretty good balance. I started liking it more and more, but playing with my friend's PD+ made me realize I didn't need such a big headsize.

I played with that for a while and when the strings broke, I didn't want to play with my year-old WalMart racquet so I demoed an AG300. Although I hated it, I found I didn't shank balls all that much (i.e. I could find the sweetspot). A few weeks later, I demoed a K95, which I simply fell in love with. Sure I lost a bunch of power, but the control I gained was incredible.

So, less power, more control. I need to work on my technique in order to regain power in my shots, but that was something I wanted to do anyway. I still beat my partner 6-4 6-1 the first time I played with the K95.

I chose to get the n6.1 95 because it's much cheaper here. I felt that frame would help my game in the long run, and that I could start using it right away without it making me hate tennis.

It seems to me you'd rather play with a smaller headsize. If you're concerned about power with these kind of frames, you can try to compensate with the kind of strings you use and the tension.

HappyLefty
08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Tennis is a game of percentages, not winners. In that case focus a racquet that gives you control and later think about power under control.
This second area is built with hard training and fitness, not with a racquet.
My 2 cents

dunloplayah
08-14-2007, 10:56 AM
…It seems to me you'd rather play with a smaller headsize. If you're concerned about power with these kind of frames, you can try to compensate with the kind of strings you use and the tension.

This is one of the reasons I bought a stringer like my pro shop uses, learned what I like and don't like, play with tensions and different types of strings much cheaper than if I had to pay to get it strung all the time by someone else. I also found that I'm more consistent than the teenagers they tended to train to string on us "lower end" players. I take my time stringing, get it right, i'm not trying to impress my buddy how fast I can do it and all.

Plus stringing is tons of fun for me and nice to know I did it.

bluegrasser
08-14-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm the commish of the R.W.H.O.F. - and it's either you quit the game and take up ping pong, or accept your addiction & realize you'll have a stick for every day of the week, also your level will stay at a 3.5 - only a few of us have reached the 4.0 status and that's a stretch..

dunloplayah
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
People at my courts love to give me a hard time "hey is that another bag? another racquet? lose your other one?" etc. but I don't care, the way I look at it: I'm 35, i love this sport, i love playing at any level, win or lose, AND i love the gear. it's a fun part of being involved in it. I'm not going pro, i'm not playing for money or for a free ride at university, i'm doing it for me, and if it makes me happy, the bashers just don't affect me!

RWHOF!! ha ha! love it!

grass_hopper
08-15-2007, 08:50 AM
what happened to all commericals: IT'S YOUR MONEY, USE IT ON ANYTHING YOU LIKE

what are we doing overtime work for if not to have or replace things.

of course wives, kids and expensive dating are all top shelf items.