PDA

View Full Version : heavy racket, short swing => injuries

PackardDell
08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
A friend of mine plays with a very heavy racket (unstrung weight 340 gram). He hits great shots, in matches as well when playing free. But he has a short swing and even makes movements with his wrist. Since he played that heavy stick he suffered from arm injuries. Could that be due to his wrong swingstyle combined with that heavy racket ?

BreakPoint
08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
More likely from bad technique more than the heavy racquet. A heavy racquet may cause shoulder soreness, but is usually better for the arm. BTW, 340 grams is not really very heavy.

LanEvo
08-13-2007, 11:58 AM
heavy racquets help u generate more power

Gantz
08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
maybe he's not used to the swingweight of the heavy racket yet. you really need a long swing for heavier rackets, or else power will be difficult to find.

Keifers
08-13-2007, 12:54 PM
My preferred weight range is 12.5-12.7 ozs and I usually find the jump to 12.9-13.0 ozs too much. But recently I've hit with a couple of these heavy, solid, head-light racquets, and was surprised to find I had no arm or shoulder soreness or strain afterwards at all. Some more fatigue overall, certainly, but my arm and shoulder were really fine. Go figure!...

0d1n
08-13-2007, 01:23 PM
More likely from bad technique more than the heavy racquet. A heavy racquet may cause shoulder soreness, but is usually better for the arm. BTW, 340 grams is not really very heavy.

A heavy racket can cause arm problems as well (elbow, wrist) if it is TOO heavy for the operator. This is because a racket too heavy (or maybe with a higher sw) may cause the aforementioned operator to hit late and not hit the sweet spot. If he does that repeatedly for longer periods of time, miss hitting, hitting frame balls ...etc he WILL have arm problems much quicker than with a racket that's 10-15 grams lighter but allows him to hit a proper shot.
I am not talking about EXTREMELY light here like 270-280 grams, but a difference from 330 grams unstrung to 315 / 310 grams unstrung can be GOOD for the arm provided it suits the swing style /skill level of the player better than the heavier stick.
I can agree that heavier rackets absorb more shock, but that's right ONLY if you disregard the player's ability,and heavier rackets are NOT better for EVERYBODY'S arm...for reasons stated above.
And IMO 340 grams unstrung IS heavy for many people (even most people), simply because such weight usually comes with SW's in the high 330's or even 340's.