PDA

View Full Version : Controlling The APD

bumfluff
08-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I have just got an APD w/ cortex on Demo and I have to say I am becoming quite attached to it, partly because I won a set today 6-1 against someone with whom it is normally a lot closer.

I am finding that I can hit nice deep balls off the forehand with a little bit of topspin (I don't really know whether I produce much topspin or not) which is what I think helped with the match. I find it to be much less erratic than the PDR+ which I have tried before although I can't hit the serves quite as hard.

However, I find my backhand can go out quite easily as sometimes I catch it far too flat and so this was a real problem when I start to tighten up. Any tips on technique to get my backhand nice and fluent with this racket? A video would be great if anyone knows of a good one of You Tube or something.

Gantz
08-13-2007, 12:52 PM
is your backhand one or two handed?

Forehand Forever
08-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I used this racquet today and I hit some nice shots but a couple to the back fence. I used a racquet that didn't have much power yesterday so that might've done it. I had to get readjusted to the power of the Babolats.

bumfluff
08-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Erm I mostly hit two handed but sometimes I dabble with the single hander but I dont actually hit that one out that much I tend to hit it too short so it lands in the service box.

Advice on teh two hander? I do play a lot of backhand slice aswell and the racket seems really nice for the way I do it and gives a good bit of spin.

Forehand Forever
08-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I also felt that backhand slices were good with this racquet too. For your two hander just work on hitting it with topspin.

FedUp
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I've had a power control issue with the APD Cortex. I restrung the racquet on multiple occasions with different setups and tensions and, in the end, could not control the power of the frame. Strangely, I have come to love the Speedport Black which has a fairly high Prince power rating. I have been able to control this racquet with relative ease. In the end, I could not play with the APD because I hate to be tentative with the racquet and be forced to control the power by which I swing my racquet.

tbini87
08-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I've had a power control issue with the APD Cortex. I restrung the racquet on multiple occasions with different setups and tensions and, in the end, could not control the power of the frame. Strangely, I have come to love the Speedport Black which has a fairly high Prince power rating. I have been able to control this racquet with relative ease. In the end, I could not play with the APD because I hate to be tentative with the racquet and be forced to control the power by which I swing my racquet.

i had this issue too. i also cant stand having to swing easy to keep the ball in. maybe using poly in the mains would help produce more spin and control if the op doesn't already use it.

bumfluff
08-14-2007, 12:11 AM
No I just have a bog standard string job as it is just a demo. I did find though that if I let myself go on the forehand I could play a pretty nice shot, although my letting myself go is probably much worse than yours. What sort of technique on the backhand is best for creating good topsping on the ball so I don't end up hitting it flat.

nickb
08-14-2007, 02:09 AM
Hit more topspin or get a new racquet.

bumfluff
08-14-2007, 02:34 AM
How exactly do I hit more topspinperhaps I need to close the racket more and swing faster, would that be right?