PDA

View Full Version : Federer Starting to Play Tight?

lordmanji
08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
fed said in his interview yesterday that djokovic played like he had nothing to lose, that is freely while fed was no longer young and could not play like that anymore thus implied that he played with more pressure that is tighter.

i feel that fed recently has played tighter except for his win this year at the AO and wimbledon. he played tight at the french the past two years, at last years wimbledon, and now with djokovic. to define federer's tightness, he isn't as aggressive, looks like he has less energy, he'll mistime and shank a lot of balls, and not swing as freely.

i think federer will rebound because he's such a champ but last year was probably his peak. i dont think he'll be as dominant these past few years but still has quite a few more majors a year.

Coaching
08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
I think your right lordmanji, what suprised me was Fed did not acknowledged Djokovic tennis or how good Novak was from that match.
Djokovic will be a lot better tennis player since he think really good when he is out there. What impressed me the most is how compose he was, his nerve is so relax and just don;t get rattled.
There are times that he was really frustrated at times but, it just don;t stay with him for long time and can come back with brilliant shot making anywhere in the court.
I like this dude, he has all the qualities to become number 1, my prediction is he will become number 1 faster than Rafa.:grin:

Warriorroger
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
It's all natural, even the not acknowledging (I don't have this first hand). The main reason for Federer's succes, of course his incredible talent (never been anyone so talented IMO), but also the respect from the other players, the nice guy thing, etc. As great a champ as he is, I haven't seen him fight his way out of a match like the past greats: Sampras - Graf - Seles - Agassi - Connors, etc. Federer can play all these amazing shots because of his own believe, but also other's believe they couldn't beat him.

It's unfair to so the Federer era is over. His invincibility aura is beginning to show cracks. All the past greats have gone through this. It's only natural. He really needs a couple of difficult matches, so he learns how to win mentally. He is the best player, but others want to beat him.

xtremerunnerars
08-13-2007, 02:08 PM
You're pretty much right.

Federer plays tight except for when he doesn't play tight.

Seriously though, a few backhands here and there looked pretty bad but everything else seemed okay to me. He's human as much as you may not want to think so.

J-man
08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I saw his match with Canas a couple of months ago and then the most recent against Djokovic and he seems to be breaking down mentally alittle bit. Getting tight on points hitting the backhand late and the forehand long. He let his head get the best of him yesterday.

psamp14
08-13-2007, 02:29 PM
lordmanji, i agree with some of your points as well...maybe federer realizes he is now into the second half of his career, and in constantly thinking about that, he isnt putting his full mentality into his matches

except for this year's AO and wimbledon rounds until the final, i think he's been having that attitude all year...especially at this year's french open final

2006 was federer's peak year, but even so, he can win the us open this year and have yet another 3-slam year...2008 and beyond will become tougher for him with nadal at the french and djokavic at the AO and USO....

but champions dont go away...sampras played very well at the us open throughout his career, and even in 2000 sampras made the AO semis...i see federer to be physically fitter than sampras, and baring injury, federer appears more "lengthy" and possesses more finesse....

i wouldnt be surprised if he regrouped from this minor setback to win the next five slams...

saram
08-13-2007, 02:33 PM
I think he is getting tight and thinking about breaking records, etc. At the FO, he did not look like the Roger that was at the AO this year. Also, he did look tremendously nervous and tight at Wimbledon.

friedalo1
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
one of the greatest players ever, who plainly chokes sometimes.

tricky
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Fed's just rusty. He hadn't played a tourney since Wimbledon, and Joker's the first true shotmaker he saw.

psamp14
08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
federer loses and everyone pounces on him....i still see him winning cincy, taking a week off, and then coming back to win the us open....if that happens, all this talk will be off, and talks about which slam he gets #14 and #15 will begin...

and if he loses, well, these threads will continue...

saram
08-13-2007, 02:43 PM
federer loses and everyone pounces on him....i still see him winning cincy, taking a week off, and then coming back to win the us open....if that happens, all this talk will be off, and talks about which slam he gets #14 and #15 will begin...

and if he loses, well, these threads will continue...

Yes, unfortunately trolls will come out of the woodwork like termites...

jelle v
08-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Ever since Roger has started to become close to the Grand Slam record of Sampras, I think it has been on his mind. I think that once he has passed the 14 Grand Slams, he will feel free and have nothing to prove anymore (except maybe win the FO). From then on, I think he will be as dominate as ever, since he has nothing to lose anymore.

West Coast Ace
08-13-2007, 03:18 PM
one of the greatest players ever, who plainly chokes sometimes.Troll of the week nominee... Ridiculous

and if he loses, well, these threads will continue...Well said.

It's real simple, it's the WIND! He hates playing when it's blowing. No wind earlier in the week and he was on fire; the wind is up so were his unforced errors. He's gutted out some tough matches in the past - but if you're going to get him, pray for wind.

Moose Malloy
08-13-2007, 03:32 PM
when you get older, you start to get tighter. see navratilova & sampras for many examples of this.

David L
08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
fed said in his interview yesterday that djokovic played like he had nothing to lose, that is freely while fed was no longer young and could not play like that anymore thus implied that he played with more pressure that is tighter.

i feel that fed recently has played tighter except for his win this year at the AO and wimbledon. he played tight at the french the past two years, at last years wimbledon, and now with djokovic. to define federer's tightness, he isn't as aggressive, looks like he has less energy, he'll mistime and shank a lot of balls, and not swing as freely.

i think federer will rebound because he's such a champ but last year was probably his peak. i dont think he'll be as dominant these past few years but still has quite a few more majors a year.Playing with nothing to lose is a common expression in tennis. I would'nt read too much into it. Djokovic even used it when asked about his match with Federer after the semi-final. When you're the underdog, that's what people say. I can play with nothing to lose. I can go for it. This is commonly said if you're young and have'nt achieved a lot yet. Djokovic will be saying the same thing of other youngsters if he becomes successful.

Federer also said he could'nt play freely because he was'nt sure how much risk to take in the wind and was always coming from behind so could'nt make mistakes, feeling keeping the ball in play was the main priority that day.

David L
08-13-2007, 06:32 PM
I think your right lordmanji, what suprised me was Fed did not acknowledged Djokovic tennis or how good Novak was from that match.
Djokovic will be a lot better tennis player since he think really good when he is out there. What impressed me the most is how compose he was, his nerve is so relax and just don;t get rattled.
There are times that he was really frustrated at times but, it just don;t stay with him for long time and can come back with brilliant shot making anywhere in the court.
I like this dude, he has all the qualities to become number 1, my prediction is he will become number 1 faster than Rafa.:grin:Federer gave credit. He said Djokovic played well and played a great tournament. What more do you want? He's never going to go over the top. Maybe if he was beaten 6-0 6-0 playing well, he might say an opponent played unbelievable, but that's not likely to happen. I like the fact Federer keeps his responses sober. Just the facts ma'am.

Djokovic played well, but a pro playing well always looks more impressive to the amateur than the professional. Federer's seen better and played better. It takes a lot to impress him, so naturally he's not going to feel compelled to really go over the top in his praise, unless he's genuinely impressed, and even then he will still just state what he thinks dispassionately. He does'nt do lip service or false platitudes.

psamp14
08-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Troll of the week nominee... Ridiculous

Well said.

It's real simple, it's the WIND! He hates playing when it's blowing. No wind earlier in the week and he was on fire; the wind is up so were his unforced errors. He's gutted out some tough matches in the past - but if you're going to get him, pray for wind.

thanks West Coast Ace...i downloaded the highlights but did not see the match...was it really that windy? after watching the highlights federer wasnt playing like federer...he was hitting balls way inside the baseline, not his usual stuff, painting lines and hitting those signature forehands crosscourt "lifting" his opponent off the ground...

i have not seen much of djokavic but i do have their match from dubai and have seen highlights from their match at the AO too..he plays a lot like hewitt used to but has a bigger serve and his shots have more "cut" to them

lordmanji
08-14-2007, 02:24 AM
thanks West Coast Ace...i downloaded the highlights but did not see the match...was it really that windy? after watching the highlights federer wasnt playing like federer...he was hitting balls way inside the baseline, not his usual stuff, painting lines and hitting those signature forehands crosscourt "lifting" his opponent off the ground...

i have not seen much of djokavic but i do have their match from dubai and have seen highlights from their match at the AO too..he plays a lot like hewitt used to but has a bigger serve and his shots have more "cut" to them

i recall it being windy but not that windy. fed just really came out flat the first and third sets, got down an early break by shanking balls and played more conservatively than djoke. when fed did turn it on and djoke would get it back ball after ball, fed would usually hit an error much like when he plays nadal at the french. i never got the feeling watching that he was really into it, as if he was playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

on fed acknowledging that djoke is a good but not spectacular player, i dont think youll ever hear the words "he played out of his mind" come out of his mouth. he is the best player in the current era and uttering those words will wreak havoc on his aura of invincibility to others as well as himself. the closest he came to saying that was at this year's wimbledon in which he said that rafa deserved to win it as much as he did and this might be a further sign of fed's aura weakening.

i think that in the losses this year we can take a lot away as to how to beat fed - djoke, nadal, canas all play a high percentage heavy topspin ball and can anticipate well and get many balls back. this type of play seems to unnerve federer since his "beautiful" shots are somehow being returned then he makes the unforced error. when he's not playing tight, he can beat this sort of player as in this year's wimbledon but in all the instances that he's lost to these players, he has shown a tenativeness.

rwn
08-14-2007, 04:17 AM

i think federer will rebound because he's such a champ but last year was probably his peak. i dont think he'll be as dominant these past few years but still has quite a few more majors a year.

Everybody gets tight, including Borg, Laver and Sampras. It's how you handle it. Federer with 9 grand slam finals in a row winning 7 handles it better than anybody I have ever seen.
And claim that 2006 was Federer's peak is easy. Federer played 17 tournaments and reached the final in 16 of them. That probably won't be repeated by anyone ever again. That year alone must have taken a lot out of Federer and he's still having a great 2007 (2 grand slam titles)

West Coast Ace
08-14-2007, 04:50 AM
i recall it being windy but not that windy.Killer Cahill was courtside and said it was 'quite windy' during warmups. During the match you could see the backstop moving from the wind.

It was obviously just as windy for Djokovic. But my point is: Fed doesn't like the wind; his long strokes, coupled with wind, lead to a ton of UE's - look at the stats.