PDA

View Full Version : Robredo = today's Corretja?

Mikael
08-13-2007, 12:52 PM
I was thinking about this today and the similarities between these two guys kinda struck me:

1) both spanish
2) both claycourters
3) both about the same height, same weight
4) both have the same kind of old fashioned retro look that appeals to ladies
5) they're supposedly "nice guys" off the court (fits into 4) too)
6) same relaxed behavior on court
7) both have 1 handed backhand weapons
8 ) almost the same style of play from what I've seen: not much power, like they're trying too hard to be stylish on court. Adequate serves.
9) some success on hard courts

Of course Corretja has the more successful career so far... and I wouldn't really imagine him posing naked for a magazine.

What do you think? Did I miss something?

punch
08-13-2007, 12:57 PM
All I think of when someone says Robredo is a non-fighter and under-achiever.

Jonny S&V
08-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I was thinking about this today and the similarities between these two guys kinda struck me:

1) both spanish
2) both claycourters
3) both about the same height, same weight
4) both have the same kind of old fashioned retro look that appeals to ladies
5) they're supposedly "nice guys" off the court (fits into 4) too)
6) same relaxed behavior on court
7) both have 1 handed backhand weapons
8 ) almost the same style of play from what I've seen: not much power, like they're trying too hard to be stylish on court. Adequate serves.
9) some success on hard courts

Of course Corretja has the more successful career so far... and I wouldn't really imagine him posing naked for a magazine.

What do you think? Did I miss something?

Yes, but Robredo's forehand is better then his backhand, the opposite of Corretja.

Moose Malloy
08-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Corretja came to net a lot more than Robredo.
And I think Corretja had more than just 'some success on hardcourts', he beat Sampras at the Masters Cup, which was pretty tough to do.

laurie
08-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Seems to me on hardcourt and indoor surfaces Corretja got much more action n his topspin shots. He did well on both surfaces even winning the ATP championships in Hanover (Germany) in 1998 which is a much faster indoor surface than anything I can think of today. I used to go to Paris Bercy which had a fast indoor carpet surface but haven't they changed the surface there too now?

I also agree Corretja seemed more of a fighter. Robredo doesn't seem to command much respect in Spain. According to my Spanish friend on my forum, ex Spanish players have been taking jibes at Robredo, saying if he's top 10 they should come out of retirement! He has been moaning about the lack of respect he gets in Spain.

laurie
08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Corretja came to net a lot more than Robredo.
And I think Corretja had more than just 'some success on hardcourts', he beat Sampras at the Masters Cup, which was pretty tough to do.

Masters?

You mean ATP World Championships. Sorry to be pedantic, I know you are catering for the younger ones out there who know it called as the Masters Cup.

Moose Malloy
08-13-2007, 01:23 PM
You mean ATP World Championships. Sorry to be pedantic, I know you are catering for the younger ones out there who know it called as the Masters Cup.

I still think of it as what it was originally called-the 'masters.' Masters Cup is closer to that than the 'atp world championship' which always seemed a bit too much.

Mikael
08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Good points everyone, especially Robredo's lack of fight compared to Corretja... definitely escaped me. It would be hard to imagine Robredo in the long 5 set battles Corretja fought.

laurie
08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
I still think of it as what it was originally called-the 'masters.' Masters Cup is closer to that than the 'atp world championship' which always seemed a bit too much.

That's true, you must be older than me!

Having said that, I am definitely not a fan of the term "Masters"

"Oh Master, you're the Master of this event! You're such a Master"

I think they could come up with a more imaginative phrase for a championship.

Zaragoza
08-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Corretja was greater than Robredo.
He was world no. 2, was a 2 times French Open finalist (losing to Moya and Kuerten), won the Masters Cup, was part of the Spanish team winner of the Davis Cup, 17 single titles including Rome and Indian Wells, bronze medalist in Sydney 2000 with Costa as a doubles partner. He came back from 2 sets down to beat Sampras on grass in the Davis Cup, in the USA.
Robredo is good but he will never achieve these things.

sunflowerhx
08-13-2007, 01:55 PM
All I think of when someone says Robredo is a non-fighter and under-achiever.

I disagree, I think Robredo is a classic case of a player who has maximised what talent he has. At best a top 10 player, no more.

Similar to Henman, just don't have any huge weapons to progress.

phoony
08-13-2007, 07:45 PM
From what i observed, Robredo not an all surface player. That's why hardly to see him winning a title except on clay.

tennispro11
08-13-2007, 07:49 PM
That's true, you must be older than me!

Having said that, I am definitely not a fan of the term "Masters"

"Oh Master, you're the Master of this event! You're such a Master"

I think they could come up with a more imaginative phrase for a championship.

............LOL...........

Moose Malloy
08-15-2007, 02:21 PM
here's a clip from that corretja-sampras masters match in '98.

epic game, sampras had three match points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XriGGWzY1xQ&mode=related&search=

anointedone
08-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Robredo isnt in the same class since his achivements dont even come close. His biggest moment was winning a Masters in Hamburg, in a depleted field. He may end up never even reaching the semis of a Grand Slam event.

The Dolphin
08-15-2007, 03:19 PM
to those who say robredo isn't a fighter and doesn't have a topspin baclhand weapon:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=M2e_07XLf2A

bluegrasser
08-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Remember Corretja's match against Pete at the USO? sorry Robredo, you're no PS....