PDA

View Full Version : My prediction for Federer next 4 weeks.

finky
08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Following a slightly disappointing performance against Djokovic , I think a few doubts might creep into Roger's mind . He may well fail to win Cincy or even the US Open .

Then, being the strategist that he is, he will hire Daren Cahill and come out swinging( no pun intended) in 2008.

His level is still incredibly high , but Cahill will give him more tactically and tidy up his backhand.

Moose Malloy
08-13-2007, 12:39 PM
here's a trivia question, how many summer masters series events did sampras(5 time us open champ) win in those 5 years he won the us open?

I imagine the average age of the posters saying Fed is in decline is 15.

finky
08-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey Moose! Its not a question of decline , just reinforcement . I am actually a huge Federer fan, but everyone is human . Also, Rogers application and scheduling are very different to Pete's. I think Roger comes to MS events with higher ambitions than Sampras did . Pete was all about Slams, whilst Fed takes great pride in winning as many larger events as he can .

Having said that, it is already discernible that RF is scaling down his schedule a la Pete in order to pursue greatness .

However, all I'm trying to say is that Fed has set the bar extremely high, and to move it even higher may require some external input.

What do you think?

vamosrafa15
08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
federer isnt at a decline just slowing down a tad..not much but i think he only has 2-3 years to be a contender at the french, but he will win wimbly prolly for the next 10 years lol

Tennis_Goodness
08-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Following a slightly disappointing performance against Djokovic , I think a few doubts might creep into Roger's mind . He may well fail to win Cincy or even the US Open .

Then, being the strategist that he is, he will hire Daren Cahill and come out swinging( no pun intended) in 2008.

His level is still incredibly high , but Cahill will give him more tactically and tidy up his backhand.

Yawn, I hear this after every Federer loss and there's nothing behind it. Ridiculous claims. He always bounces back just fine!

dubsplayer
08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
here's a trivia question, how many summer masters series events did sampras(5 time us open champ) win in those 5 years he won the us open?

I imagine the average age of the posters saying Fed is in decline is 15.

'Zackly.

I know Pete won Cincy in 99 - but can't recall if he won USO that yr. I don't ever remember him winning the Canadian, so I'm going to say 1, but that may be high.

It's all about GS now for Mr. Fed, too.

finky
08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
The comparison with Pete, whilst tempting , is not strictly accurate . He was in pursuit of greatness. Rog is also in pursuit of greatness, but he also wants to achieve excellence , which means applying himself 100% to every MS tournament.

Therefore Rog's results outside the Slams are a more relevant indicator of where he is than Pete's ever were .

It is also worth noting that in his prime (right now!), Roger is facing two guys who can mount a major threat on any surface. This was not the case for Pete,(although that Agassi guy was quite handy!) and his ultimate decline was due only to his 'maturity' and not strictly the excellence of his opponents.

So in the face of Nadal and Djokovic a little hiccup for Fed might be a good stimulus to change up a gear and see if these young guys can really live with his talent .

And just for the record I was 15 twenty three years ago.

saram
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
The comparison with Pete, whilst tempting , is not strictly accurate . He was in pursuit of greatness. Rog is also in pursuit of greatness, but he also wants to achieve excellence , which means applying himself 100% to every MS tournament.

Therefore Rog's results outside the Slams are a more relevant indicator of where he is than Pete's ever were .

It is also worth noting that in his prime (right now!), Roger is facing two guys who can mount a major threat on any surface. This was not the case for Pete,(although that Agassi guy was quite handy!) and his ultimate decline was due only to his 'maturity' and not strictly the excellence of his opponents.

So in the face of Nadal and Djokovic a little hiccup for Fed might be a good stimulus to change up a gear and see if these young guys can really live with his talent .

And just for the record I was 15 twenty three years ago.

It is pretty nice, isn't it? Last year and the year before, we were wishing Roger had continual competition. Well, we now have that on all surfaces. The next two years of tennis (assuming all stay healthy) is going to be amazing.

There are now three contendors....:D

fastdunn
08-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't think there is a sign yet that might suggests Fed's decline.
maybe past his prime but not really a decline (unless he fails to win slams).

But I think it's very obvious that the field is getting stronger
with new young talents like Nadal, Djokovic (and maybe Gasquet, and Murray).

Definitely tougher than 2005-2006.

caulcano
08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't think there is a sign yet that might suggests Fed's decline.
maybe past his prime but not really a decline (unless he fails to win slams).

But I think it's very obvious that the field is getting stronger
with new young talents like Nadal, Djokovic (and maybe Gasquet, and Murray).

Definitely tougher than 2005-2006.

I think Federer is at his prime (can't get much better), while the rest of the field, like you said, is getting stronger.

Moose Malloy
08-13-2007, 02:21 PM

well, let's consider some of his non-slam results prior to winning slams:

-before the french this year, he loses to volandri in rome, still reaches the final of the french rather easily.

-skips halle for the first time in his career, still wins wimbledon

-skips doha this year, still wins the australian

-loses early in cincinnati last year, still wins us open

-gets pushed to 3 sets in almost every match he plays at halle last year, still wins wimbledon rather easily

-wins '04 US Open after early losses in both the olympics & cincinnati

djokovic is a good player & all, but he's only 20. winning masters series has absolutely no correlation to how a player will react in the pressure of a slam semis/finals(look at rios as an example of a great masters series player & rather pathetic slam player)
djokovic will be a great player in the future, but he's a longshot to win the open this year, he's too inexperienced(& really, what if the final of canada was best of 5? do you still think he would have won? a third set tiebreak is the slimmest of margins, do you really think he is someone for fed to lose sleep over on the basis of one match?)

I know Pete won Cincy in 99 - but can't recall if he won USO that yr. I don't ever remember him winning the Canadian, so I'm going to say 1, but that may be high.

The answer is 0. also sampras won a grasscourt event prior to winning wimbledon only 2 times out of the 7 years that he won wimbledon. what a loser he was(by TT standards)

fastdunn
08-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I think Federer is at his prime (can't get much better), while the rest of the field, like you said, is getting stronger.

Yeah, I think he is still in prime basically but
I don't think he will reproduce win/loss ratio of 2005-2006 again
which probably was prime prime.

fastdunn
08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree his loss to Djokovic on non-slam event is rather close to meaningless
at this point.

But I'm more excited about new competitons getting more matured.
And the fact that Djokovic beat #3,#2,#1 bring up more attention, I think.

babolat15
08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Djokovic is a beast

dubsplayer
08-14-2007, 10:25 AM
"The answer is 0. also sampras won a grasscourt event prior to winning wimbledon only 2 times out of the 7 years that he won wimbledon. what a loser he was(by TT standards)"

I was close at least. And did say I thought 1 might be high.
I also remember one summer when Andre was winning everything (not both master's but I'm sure Cincy, DC and LA) and everyone thought forsure the USO was his. Of course he didn't win it.

Serendipitous
05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
He will win the French Open 2031.