PDA

View Full Version : Donnay Pro One Internationl MP First Impressions

jfeyerherm
08-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I just purchased these racquets off TW and received them this morning. I hit for about 90 minutes and here's some quick thoughts. I originally played with the I.Prestige for 2 years then the last 2-3 with the Liquidmetal Prestige, both the midplus in each.

I noticed this racquet was a lot stiff or solid feeling than the Liquidmetal, a little closer feel to the I.Prestige. It had really nice control and I feel I could hit through the ball pretty well. The string pattern seems to allow pretty good spin and it was as much as the Liquidmetal and maybe more. It felt really nice with blocking back a flat serve return or hitting a follow. One of my complaints with the Liquidmetal was that it was to flexy or not stable enough, this is not a problem with these racquets. On serves It provided good power on a flat serve and was especially nice hitting slice and kick serves. Overall, I thought it felt nice, and I look forward to hitting some more and getting used to it. I haven't hit with a prestige classic very much, just a small amount, but it felt similar to that in that it's a really solid/stable racquet but still feels nice, especially with you hit the sweetspot. If anyone has any questions or wondering about the racquet, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer.

jfeyerherm
08-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Sorry I saw I typed the message and had a lot of typos. I just was going to make sure and add it felt crisp and solid on follows and it kind of flat shot.

jfeyerherm
08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Sorry I saw I typed the message and had a lot of typos. I just was going to make sure and add it felt crisp and solid on volley and flat shots.

Jamtix
08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
jfeyerherm, can you give me tape-measured handle length and grip size (if you using 4 1/2 or 4 5/8) of your Donnay Pro One International. It will be very helpful to me.

This handle looks short for two-handed backhand...

jfeyerherm
08-13-2007, 06:32 PM
The handle is about 6 inches in length. It's slightly shorter than my liquidmetal prestige but I still have plenty of room on a 2 handed backhand. I'm using a 4 1/2 grip.

jjjosh
08-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I agree with your first impression in that the frame feels quite stiff, at least stiffer than a rating of 58 would suggest.

KFwinds
08-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Just received mine today in time to hit with one earlier this evening. I bought three of them, and strung the first one up with Babolat X-Cel Premium 17g @ 60lbs. I played three sets of doubles tonight with it, and it was fantastic! I think I've found my new stick. If Head made a PC600 with a 95si head and a 16x18 string pattern, this racquet would be the result. Actually, that's the best way I can describe the feel. It's a bit low on power (and the sweetspot is slightly smaller than my ProStaff 6.0 95), so I may try dropping the tension a few pounds next time. Otherwise, I'm very satisfied.

For those who have asked before, the grip shape is very close to the Dunlop shape, although it seems smaller due to the thin Donnay grip. I replaced it with a Prince Duratac and it feels much better. I don't think anyone will have any complaints about the shape; it's not too round (Prince) or too rectangular (Head, Volkl), and I never had to think twice about it during play.

"Holy Grail"???

diehard6.0
08-13-2007, 10:14 PM
How is the swingweight of Donnay, esp. in comparison with 6.0 95?

I have looked for a racquet similar to 6.0 95 just with a little more stiffness.

jfeyerherm
08-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Its been a while since I hit with a Pro Staff but from what I remember they're very similar, maybe slightly less. I checked the specs on the TW website and the 95 6.0 is 317, and the Donnay is 320. They are virtually the same from looking at that and comparing from hitting with both.

____
08-13-2007, 11:53 PM
For those who have asked before, the grip shape is very close to the Dunlop shape, although it seems smaller due to the thin Donnay grip. I replaced it with a Prince Duratac and it feels much better. I don't think anyone will have any complaints about the shape; it's not too round (Prince) or too rectangular (Head, Volkl), and I never had to think twice about it during play.

"Holy Grail"???

Thanks for the grip shape report.Grip shape plays a big part of racquet selection for me.

mackadilly
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I have hit with this racquet for about 7 sets. I'm still getting comfortable but the positive attributes: stability, great for reflex volleys and control. I agree with the previous posters the flex feels firmer the the posted specs (feels "flexyscrunchy") but seomewhat low powered (you still need spin to keep it in) therefore requires a long stroke. This racquet may be better for a flatball hitter.

That being said I am enjoying the experience (success) with this racquet more than PK Redondo 98, Fischer Pro #1/ and M Speed 98 sl/ul.

FYI: Strung with KLIP legend 16g @ 55lbs (will string tighter next time)

Sorry for the typos (I'm at work)

rabidcow
08-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Is this raquet avialable or will it it be available for demo

Anton
08-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Just got my two frames - IZ NICE!

One strung with Prince SG Multi at 63 lbs and the other I string with Kischerbaum Pro Line II at 59lbs both with 4 string rubber band dampening job - amazingly, the one with poly actually feels much better! More solid and less vibrations too. I would not think poly could feel so comfortable. Still this frame will not have that solid-as-a-tank feel, so don't expect it - which is good for those looking for feedback that is often muted out in modern frames (like in Prince's tour rackets for example) .

The string pattern is actually tighter then 16x18 stat would suggest, it is medium density I'd say. Will post comparrison pictures later.

Ground strokes feel good, "easy yet weighted" quality to them - can flatten out and really drive the ball and/or put some good amount of spin on it too. Good power level, don't have to stress too much to punch deep balls, but don't have to be very careful not to overshoot either. TW would rate it about 70

The frame is very well balanced and is very maneuverable. In fact this is where it really shines, volleys, overheads, returns, quick exchanges are easy on effort and big on weight and stability behind them. Very satisfying "pops", punches and touch is to be found here. Returns from hard serves seem to just always want to land in, very confidence inspiring for you and frustrating for the guy on the other side.

Serves are good, though not outstanding - flats, while not as explosive as some other frames (like iPrestige), have a good precision feeling to them. The slices I had to find my groove with but after a a couple, was able to generate good amount spin, though maybe not as much kick as I could get out of my RDS001MP. I'll spend an hour serving sometime next week and see if I could find some hidden potential for serves out of this frame yet.

For reference, I'm a 4.5 player with long swings, two handed back hand more on the flat side, medium-hard serves and have recently been spending more and more time at the net

ericsson
08-18-2007, 01:19 AM
like Chris from TW said, it's a real players racket. ;)

____
08-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Guys,what about a paintjob quality?

Hollywood
08-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Just got mine two days ago and they hit like a dream. Really solid all around racquet with good enough weight and balance to drive my shots, especially my one handed flat backhand. My previous racquet was a Prostaff 85, but the Donnay is more forgiving and easy on the arm too. Not as stiff as the Prostaff.

Paintjob is not bad at all.

Something that is not an issue for me, but maybe for others is the short grip on this racquet. So guys with two handed backhands may not like it.

Overall, a solid racquet at a great price. This is a winner.

Anton
08-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Guys,what about a paintjob quality?

I haven't put any of my slices to the asphalt just yet to test out clear coat thickness, but looks nice and glossy so far. PJ colors look more subtle in real life then on pictures.

ced
08-18-2007, 06:51 AM
The handle is about 6 inches in length. It's slightly shorter than my liquidmetal prestige but I still have plenty of room on a 2 handed backhand. I'm using a 4 1/2 grip.

My handle measures 7- 7 1/2" in length and with the Gamma leather replacement grip and a Yonex overgrip the 4 3/8" now measures 4 1/2".

There are no problems using a 2hbh with this racket.

Dave M
08-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Do these new frames come with covers?

ced
08-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Do these new frames come with covers?

They do not come with covers.

haveheart
08-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Since most found this stick to feel quite "stiff", even though it is supposedly RA 58, if anybody could compare this to other players sticks that feel the same for stiffness, that would be helpful. For example, does it feel stiffer than RDS 001 mid? or RDX 500 mid? tx in advance.

rabidcow
08-18-2007, 07:16 PM
What string tension are you guys finding works well??

I use about 58 on my current raquet which is much stiffer

ced
08-19-2007, 06:44 AM

I strung my initial purchase with Technifibre Nrg2 18ga at 56# ...... it has a nice feel, but probably should be firmer. I am having my second strung a 58#. 58-60 should be about right for this racket.

bossass
08-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Since most found this stick to feel quite "stiff", even though it is supposedly RA 58, if anybody could compare this to other players sticks that feel the same for stiffness, that would be helpful. For example, does it feel stiffer than RDS 001 mid? or RDX 500 mid? tx in advance.

This frame is not stiff. It's close to a Volkl VE 10 Mid and definently softer than a RDS 001 Mid.

If this frame is "stiff" my PC600s must be made of steel.

ced
08-19-2007, 02:38 PM
This frame is not stiff. It's close to a Volkl VE 10 Mid and definently softer than a RDS 001 Mid.

This frame has a very 'Volkl' feel to it.

____
08-19-2007, 10:11 PM

Must b one of the flexy frames in the market.As a long time 200G series user,I am not sure this frame is for me.Demo is not my option cause I live outside the US for now.

jfeyerherm
08-19-2007, 10:48 PM
The flex rating is 58 but it feels a more solid/stable than that. I've mainly used prestiges and to me its closer to a i.prestige feel than the liquidmetal. Also, after hitting with it some more it has a good feel around the net. I'm able to move the racquet quickly and react better than with the prestiges I've used in the past. It has the best feel/touch compared to both of these racquets. I have mine strung at 56 (I tend to have a loose tension) but might string it at 57 or 58. I also live in an area with humidity so it helps to have a looser tension. If anyone has ever used the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe, it reminds me a little of that racquet but a lot better in many ways. It's a lot easier to get spin, but has the nice control, stability and is easy on my arm.

Pete Semper
08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Can someone tell me where these frames are made ? (China like Dunlop ?)

ced
08-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Can someone tell me where these frames are made ? (China like Dunlop ?)

Comes with a "made in China" sticker on butt cap, this is not at all unusual as most Mfgrs. are producing there now. could be made by anybody.

Pete Semper
08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
^^
Thanks Ced...I dont know if I m going to buy a new one from TW or buy an old one (made in Belgium) from an auction site...

Anton
08-20-2007, 08:02 PM

59lbs poly working good for me.

rod_b
08-20-2007, 10:01 PM
60/62# - Head FiberGEL 17 - good crisp feel
58/62# - SPPP 17L/OGSM 17 - a little "boardy" at first. Settled in and feeling good now.

ced
08-21-2007, 08:34 AM
^^
Thanks Ced...I dont know if I m going to buy a new one from TW or buy an old one (made in Belgium) from an auction site...

Pete there are already some appearing in the for sale section of this forum. I don't believe this racket and the original (Belgium) racket will play quite the same.

This racket has a very Dunlop look and feel and it really does hit nicely. Great control especially for volleys and half-volleys. It is hard to beat the price TW is charging for this quality racket. It is a real players stick and the sweet spot is very easy to find.

They must be selling pretty well as my 2nd is backordered until 9/04.

____
08-21-2007, 09:26 AM
For those who own 2 Pro one frames.Do they feel exactly in all aspects?

jayserinos99
08-21-2007, 10:26 AM
^ I had TW string both of mine with Klip Legend 17 at 57 lbs. Both play the same to me. One person who I hit with said that I hit the heaviest balls with the Pro One so I'm quite pleased right now.

Pete Semper
08-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Pete there are already some appearing in the for sale section of this forum. I don't believe this racket and the original (Belgium) racket will play quite the same.

This racket has a very Dunlop look and feel and it really does hit nicely. Great control especially for volleys and half-volleys. It is hard to beat the price TW is charging for this quality racket. It is a real players stick and the sweet spot is very easy to find.

They must be selling pretty well as my 2nd is backordered until 9/04.

I have already got my Donnay pro one Int "original" and I still use it, Its an amazing frame, a PURE player racquet. I just need a new one (or more). Im going to try to find it in the TW forum but they are pretty rare so I was just wondering if the TW version plays exactly the same and from several opinions, the feel and control are similars. I need new reviews and I ll take a decison (I cant demo, I live In France.).

michaellashan
08-21-2007, 05:24 PM
I have already got my Donnay pro one Int "original" and I still use it, Its an amazing frame, a PURE player racquet. I just need a new one (or more). Im going to try to find it in the TW forum but they are pretty rare so I was just wondering if the TW version plays exactly the same and from several opinions, the feel and control are similars. I need new reviews and I ll take a decison (I cant demo, I live In France.).

I would greatly appreciate some comparisons as well since this is the racquet I used when I played college tennis from 92-95. I couldn't find another racquet that came close to the feel and maneuverability of the original. I've been using a Head Prestige Classic and Prestige FXP, but I'd love to hear how these new Donnays stack up to original Pro one Internationals.

Thanks,

:D

Anton
08-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I would greatly appreciate some comparisons as well since this is the racquet I used when I played college tennis from 92-95. I couldn't find another racquet that came close to the feel and maneuverability of the original. I've been using a Head Prestige Classic and Prestige FXP, but I'd love to hear how these new Donnays stack up to original Pro one Internationals.

Thanks,

:D

Donnay plays lighter - more maneuverable but also doesn't plow-through like the classic stability is similar to FXP.There is however a bit more power and spin is easier to make as well.

BreakPoint
08-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Can anyone name some current racquets that this Donnay Pro One International MP plays very silmilar to? I think people have mentioned the Volkl Tour 10 VE Mid and the POG, is that correct? Any others? I would imagine this racquet must play very flexy and low-powered by today's standards?

Can anyone compare it to a PS 6.0 95 or Volkl Tour 10 MP Gen II, for example?

Thanks.

Anton
08-23-2007, 04:17 AM
Can anyone name some current racquets that this Donnay Pro One International MP plays very silmilar to? I think people have mentioned the Volkl Tour 10 VE Mid and the POG, is that correct? Any others? I would imagine this racquet must play very flexy and low-powered by today's standards?

Can anyone compare it to a PS 6.0 95 or Volkl Tour 10 MP Gen II, for example?

Thanks.

it doesn't really play very flexy in the way rdx500 does, the feeling is "firm" and with good amount of feedback. The racket has some pop on it too, I'd think TW would rate it 70-71 on power.

alfa164164
08-23-2007, 08:34 AM
How well does this racket "plow through" on groundies?
Does it get pushed around by a heavy ball or is it adequate?

ced
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
How well does this racket "plow through" on groundies?
Does it get pushed around by a heavy ball or is it adequate?

Groundies are nice and easy from both sides ..... 1h or 2hbh, makes no difference. Its real forte is half-volleys and volleys. No problem with power on groundies or volleys. Power somewhat limited on serves.

These are my impressions from 10 days play.

BreakPoint
08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
it doesn't really play very flexy in the way rdx500 does, the feeling is "firm" and with good amount of feedback. The racket has some pop on it too, I'd think TW would rate it 70-71 on power.
Thanks for the feedback. :D Interesting that it doesn't feel as flexy as the RDX500 given the fiberglass in the layup.

So has anyone else that has hit with this Donnay also hit with the PS 6.0 95 or Volkl T10 MP Gen II? The specs seem very similar to the Gen II, especially since it also has fiberglass in the layup.

rabidcow
08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
I took out the raquet today and it felt great, very smooth with nice weight and balance. It wasn't overly flexible fut it wasn't stiff either somewere in that 'firm' area like other posters mentioned. There was more pop than I was expecting and I haven't had issues with generating power on serves either

BreakPoint
08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I took out the raquet today and it felt great, very smooth with nice weight and balance. It wasn't overly flexible fut it wasn't stiff either somewere in that 'firm' area like other posters mentioned. There was more pop than I was expecting and I haven't had issues with generating power on serves either
rabidcow,
Thanks for the feedback. How do you have yours strung and what is your playing style and level? Is the PK Type S your main stick? If so, how would you compare them? Thanks.

Richard Pur
08-24-2007, 10:54 AM
It seems like every few months a racquet is introduced that is an absolute teaser when it comes to the specs. There are a few racquets that I REALLY wanted to be the one, but alas, it didn't work out for one reason or another.

This one is the latest one.

I need something right between the PS 6.0 95 and the Slaz Pro X1.

Could this be the one?

Any feedback?

Thanks,

Rich

rabidcow
08-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I played the Type S for about 3-4 years but as I have gotten bigger/stronger I wanted a raquet with a little bit more control and less power, so I took the chance. String wise I use Alpha Vengance (poly) mains and Wilson Stamina Crosses. I was stringing about 60 on my type S's. I strung the first raquet at 58 but I may try to drop a few pounds on the next one. I have a big serve and forehand, I normally play all-court but I can grind it out on the baseline if need be. The feel between the raquets are totally different. The Type S felt stiffer and harsher while the Donnay cushions the ball and firm which allowed me to cushion and feel the balla lot better. The Donnay has a lot better control due to this and the power is less. On serves I was still able to crank out hard flat serves but I am able to get a lot more kick with the Donnay. I'm a high school player but from what I have been told by my coach I am about a 4.5 or a 5.0.

garbage
08-29-2007, 06:44 PM
For those who have hit with this racquet, can you please comment on the upper hoop of the racquet? Is it lively or dead?

Anton
08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
For those who have hit with this racquet, can you please comment on the upper hoop of the racquet? Is it lively or dead?

sorta dead but not quiet as bad as the prestiges

Yonex.
08-29-2007, 10:06 PM
What is the major differnce between a stiff racquet like 65, against a racquet around 50? Would the 50 provide more spin?

Anton
08-29-2007, 10:12 PM
What is the major differnce between a stiff racquet like 65, against a racquet around 50? Would the 50 provide more spin?

The higher the stiffness the more power you get for same mass, because less is absorbed by the flex. Higher flex may let you swing harder against the ball without fearing it will fly off on you, so as a result you'll get more spin - depends on your technique.

basil J
08-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I just got a chance to hit with this frame for an hour today. I got it strung at 56# with Prince synthetic gut multifillament.
The racquet feels great in hand and swings lighter than it's posted 12 oz. weight. the string bed is denser than I thought it would be and provides an 18 x 20 feel. Firm but comfortable. Flex feels stiffer than my Redondos, softer than my Kfactor 6.1. No problem generating spin on ground strokes, but I had less spin on my slice & kick serves than ususal.
Here are my impressions:
Groundstrokes: solid, but good mechanics and preperation are vital with this frame. If you are late or miss the sweetspot, the balls fly a bit. Power level reminded me of my old 200GMW, low, but when you made solid contact, it felt great. MY 1HBH was accurate with good spin. My forehand was consistant and accurate. It didn't feel like I hit a heavy ball with this frame, but I got good depth and the control is solid. 7/10

Volleys: the frame is solid and feels light in hand. Volleys were punched easily and with good depth and accuarcy. 9/10

Serves: I only served for about 15 minutes. I felt that because the racquet swung light and it was a little windy out, that My serves lacked some pop, but with every new frame, the serve usually requires some adjustment time. None the less, I was serving fairly accurately, but my hitting partner was teeing off on them pretty good, so I will need some time to adjust.
I will refrain from scoring on serves until I get out again.
Return of serve: Solid, the frame slices well and I found myself chipping & charging a bit more than ususal. Whe I had time, I could drive some good returns deep with good spin. 7/10
This frame certainly feels like a 200GMW or the old hyperprostaff 5.0. It swings light, is comfortable and provides a solid hit. However it is also pretty low powered, so strings may be crucial in getting this frame set up properly for me to hit a "bigger" ball.
I will hit with it a few more times and report back next week.
Oh, I forgot to mention, the graphics and colors are very cool and the frame appears to be well made except for the cheap grip.

rabidcow
08-30-2007, 08:03 PM
I slapped a leather grip on mine and i must say that it helped it out a bit by giving the frame a little more weight and some manuevarability at the net

christo
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Is the grip Wilson shape and size? I use a Wilson with a 5/8 grip and love it so I might buy the Donnay cos The Wilson is just annihilating my shoulder , I've never had shoulder probs before but 2-3 hours with the Wilson and my shoulder feels like hamburger. Too bad, the best groundies I ever hit

basil J
09-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I would say more of a dunlop shape. I have been switching back & forth between the k6.1 and the Donnay for a week now without issue. They are both growing on me for different reasons, but my Redondo is starting to collect dust. Donnay feels like a pure players frame that rewards good mechanics etc.., the wilson is just great to blast away from the baseline and try to rip the cover off of the ball.
I served well with the Donnay today, but still get more juice from the Kfactor.

rabidcow
09-01-2007, 06:50 PM
The more I serve with the Donnay the better I get, I have to say that I am hitting the best kick serves in my life and the power is almost as good as other raquets with better placement

Anton
09-01-2007, 09:27 PM
After playing for two weeks with this frame I'm noticing that I'm getting a lot of torque on off center shots.

Added (4) 3.5" (1/4"width) lead stripes on 3 and 9 to help reduce this a bit, but that made the frame too heavy on the swing, changed to (4) 2.5" - I'll stick with that for now.

Also, a little more weight in the head is helping on the serve as well. I'm actually satisfied with my serves out of this frame now - pick up flat ace here and there and drive a heavy spin/high kick second serve with very rare double faults.

Just put on a leather grip with og as well - seems like all the pros use this setup, so might as well try it.

ericsson
09-02-2007, 12:16 AM

I still have a pro one international Original, infact i have two but could miss one, i posted in the for sale section but for some odd reason it doesnt come through. contact me for more info, i'm from Belgium.

The ones from TW wont play like the original IMHO...construction is too different.