PDA

View Full Version : any there advantages to a wider string pattern?

Brian Purdie
08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I always hear people say that the tighter string pattern of a 18 by 20 is better than 16 by 18 because of the aount of feel and control. However, are there any advantages to a wider string pattern?

JMS
08-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I always hear people say that the tighter string pattern of a 18 by 20 is better than 16 by 18 because of the aount of feel and control. However, are there any advantages to a wider string pattern?

greater access to spin and power

gjoc
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM

You get to change strings more often, so you can experiment more. ;)

PackardDell
08-13-2007, 01:42 PM
You get to change strings more often, so you can experiment more. ;)

:o :-D

gug8g78yubihjhhhkhkj

AlpineCadet
08-13-2007, 01:56 PM
FYI: Wider string patterns are generally found on stiffer frames. Dense/tight string patterns are usually found on more flexible frames.

(The denser the string pattern, the more control/ball feel you will have. Also, the sweetspot will feel a lot smaller compared to the open string pattern, and it will also feel like the racket will have an "on/off" power switch when you don't strike the sweetspot.)

Brian Purdie
08-13-2007, 04:14 PM
the racket will have an "on/off" power switch when you don't strike the sweetspot.)

I know that feeling!

AlpineCadet
08-13-2007, 04:31 PM
I know that feeling! So do I! ;)

snoflewis
08-13-2007, 04:37 PM

it's mainly what you like. 18x20 patterns generally have a stiffer/firmer stringbed and sometimes makes the racket feel hollow.

personally i have a hard time using 18x20 frames. not only does it lack spin, but i dislike the feel, firmness, and it's almost impossible for me to serve with. for the most part, i've stuck w/ 16 main patterns because i find it easier to hit flat with and really helps my serve.

Ripper
08-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Advantages: greater feel, power and spin.

Disadvantages: less control.

Hummm, I'm willing to sacrifice a li'l bit of control, thank you :)

LafayetteHitter
08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
You will use less string off a reel maybe? Just depends on what you like

Jonny S&V
08-13-2007, 04:43 PM

Gives you a better access to spin, which is why racquets over in Europe and South America are sold in open patterns because they play on clay.

goosala
08-13-2007, 07:33 PM
I can hit my second serve with more spin using an open pattern in the POG mid.

tbini87
08-13-2007, 09:19 PM
would it be common for people to string an open pattern racquet tighter than a more closed pattern? seems to make sense if the closed pattern makes the racquet more stiff and controlled...

PackardDell
08-14-2007, 01:47 AM
would it be common for people to string an open pattern racquet tighter than a more closed pattern? seems to make sense if the closed pattern makes the racquet more stiff and controlled...

I indeed reasoned in a similar way. Open string so less snares so more trampoline so you have to string it with more weight. That gives you also the advantage when playing spin cause the ball can't push the strings away so will be embedded in the strings and you can give the ball spin.