PDA

View Full Version : Nadal needs to play more like this on hard courts.

Dan007
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Nadal here at pacific life open, earlier this year. He destroyed Roddick and Djokovic in the Semis and the Finals. If you watch the video he doesn't play too much defense. He plays drop shots ocassionally and stays agressive from the baseline and plays offensive throughout most of the match. Nadal sometime has a problem of playing his clay court style(too much defense) on hard courts when he poseses a great hard court game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGP1p5rec1c

Nadal_Freak
08-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Those are slow hardcourts. Also the conditions were hot and dry which made the balls jump up more. Canada was the opposite with fastcourts and cool conditions.

Challenger
08-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Those are slow hardcourts. Also the conditions were hot and dry which made the balls jump up more. Canada was the opposite with fastcourts and cool conditions.

Bingo. I even remember the commentators talking about how high the balls were bouncing during the tournament, whereas the balls at Montreal were zipping right through the court.

Even still, if Djokovic didn't have the jitters early in the game...who knows, he could've had a chance to pull that one out too. He put on a much better show late in that match when he settled down.

TennisandMusic
08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah but nadal was hitting with pace and depth in that tournament. Don't just chalk it up to a so called "slow" surface, he was ripping his shots.

Nadal_Freak
08-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah but nadal was hitting with pace and depth in that tournament. Don't just chalk it up to a so called "slow" surface, he was ripping his shots.
True but Nadal uses a western grip which is easier for him to hit high balls than low balls. His opponents don't find it as easy to rip it on him when the ball is over their shoulder rather than chest level.

edberg505
08-13-2007, 06:02 PM

It has more to do with the type of person that he is playing more so than the type of court. Those big hitters are always going to give him problems. That's just the reality of it. Roddick's forehand is nothing like it used to be. It used to be one of the most feared shots in tennis. Now he just uses too much spin for it to do any real damage to Nadal on hardcourts. That's why Nadal can bully Roddick around the court. Now heavy hitters like Safin(whom Nadal just let self destruct in the match), Blake, Youhzny, Berdych will still give him trouble no matter what kind of hard court it is.

Nadal_Freak
08-13-2007, 06:16 PM
It has more to do with the type of person that he is playing more so than the type of court. Those big hitters are always going to give him problems. That's just the reality of it. Roddick's forehand is nothing like it used to be. It used to be one of the most feared shots in tennis. Now he just uses too much spin for it to do any real damage to Nadal on hardcourts. That's why Nadal can bully Roddick around the court. Now heavy hitters like Safin(whom Nadal just let self destruct in the match), Blake, Youhzny, Berdych will still give him trouble no matter what kind of hard court it is.
I disagree. If the courts and conditions are similar to what Indian Wells was this year, Nadal will win. Cool conditions and fast courts are where Nadal is vulnerable as the ball stays lower and goes through the court quicker.

krz
08-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Nadal also served either 89% or 90% against Roddick, of course his first serve isn't that good but its still a first serve that makes points difficult to win.

haha speaking of safin I bet I could beat him by junk balling him and letting him self destruct these days lol.

edberg505
08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I disagree. If the courts and conditions are similar to what Indian Wells was this year, Nadal will win. Cool conditions and fast courts are where Nadal is vulnerable as the ball stays lower and goes through the court quicker.

Perhaps you are forgetting what happend in Indian Wells and Miami last year. In Indian Wells he ran through everybody and then James Blake (his first big hitter) straight setted him. I'm just gonna count out Miami since that was probably somewhat of an anomaly him losing to Moya and all. But he is by no means safe on a slow hardcourt from big hitters. It just so happens he didn't really play any until the final this year which was Novak Djokovic who was insanely nervous playing him. Of course Nadal would have won that match against Novak(nervous or not) anyways because he was playing well. But you saw happened in Miami when they played again.

Nadal_Freak
08-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Perhaps you are forgetting what happend in Indian Wells and Miami last year. In Indian Wells he ran through everybody and then James Blake (his first big hitter) straight setted him. I'm just gonna count out Miami since that was probably somewhat of an anomaly him losing to Moya and all. But he is by no means safe on a slow hardcourt from big hitters. It just so happens he didn't really play any until the final this year which was Novak Djokovic who was insanely nervous playing him. Of course Nadal would have won that match against Novak(nervous or not) anyways because he was playing well. But you saw happened in Miami when they played again.
Alright Nadal isn't unbeatable on any type of hardcourt. He is very hard to beat on slow hardcourts along with heat. The match in Miami was at night which helps Djokovic. Miami is not Nadal's favorite tournament as it usually is cool and humid. These conditions keep the ball lower and help players like Federer and Djokovic. I don't know about the match against Blake but I remember the temperature was a lot cooler there last year compared to this year.