PDA

View Full Version : Negatives about the Asian K-Factor Tour 90

AlpineCadet
08-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Was it really an upgrade, or was it just a lost cause? There have been a lot of mixed reviews of the Wilson Asian K90's. For users of the US k90 who thought that the racket was too heavy for them, the Asian k90 version seemed to be a good alternative, yet there have recently been a lot of members on TW who have strayed from the asian k90, or are listing them for sale in the For Sale section on these boards.

I am left wondering what they didn't like about their frames, and what they ended up switching to. Also, have there been any members who have switched back to their US k-factor 90 's? The Asian version seemed to be an upgrade to the US spec version, but the flex rating was a lot lower than the US specs (68 vs 64) thus furthering the differences between the two rackets.

I have personally hit with the Asian k90, and felt that it was too underpowered compared to the already underpowered US k90, but am left wondering if anyone else has further insight/details. This thread exists to provide both positive/negative feedback on the Asian K-Factor Tour 90, if anyone is interested in reading up on this stick before making a purchase. ;)

drakulie
08-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Was it really an upgrade, or was it just a lost cause?

Neither. It is a racquet that was produced for a different market.

AlpineCadet
08-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Neither. It is a racquet that was produced for a different market.
That's true in some instances I guess, but some users looked to it as an alternative for the (heavier) US spec version, so it is also correct to say it's in the "same" market.

BreakPoint
08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Here you go (originally posted on 8/3/07 in another thread):

Hi all,

I used to have 2 of the US versions of the K90 but found that after a long match that my shoulder would ache. Granted that I am now working out to build up the shoulder muscle as I think I developed a rotator cuff injury for wielding a PS 6.0 85sq in that weighed 384g for about 10 years! I have now switched to the Asian version (have 4 of them) and absolutely love it! Its easy on the shoulder, the feel is pretty much the same and I am able to generate the pace and spin that I require.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1636186&postcount=21

Another one (originally posted on 8/1/07):

I tried the US K90 and felt that it was too heavy for me. The SW was too much for me to play long matches without my mechanics breaking down. So I sought the AK90. The AK90 is lighter and much easier for me to prepare for shots during a hot summer day. It is well worth a try. The thing is, make sure you get it from a reputable seller. I got mine from another poster on this board.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1632059&postcount=12

For people that can handle the weight of the US K90, I would say definitely go for the US K90. But for people that cannot, the Asian K90 is a good alternative.

As has been said here many times before - "You should use the heaviest racquet you can swing comfortably and without slowing down your swingspeed for as long as your hitting sessions lasts playing against someone better than you." I think that's a good guideline.

Originally posted on 7/10/07:

that's what happened to me. I was using US-K90 and found it was heavy for me. I then switched to Asian-K90 (about 0.8 oz lighter than US version), and it's easier to swing due to SW..., it's a perfect game for me now.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1582167&postcount=2

AlpineCadet
08-13-2007, 03:24 PM
In the same instance/thread, someone else has said:

I would not suggest an asian K90. It lacks many of the advantages that the real K90 offers. I have an asian version and I compared the rackets a few months ago. The heavy K90 is a lot better, trust me... ;)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1582766&postcount=7

SFrazeur
08-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Breakpoint, I believe Alpine asked for users to contribute the negative aspects of the Asian K90, not glowing reviews. Please keep on topic as much as possible.

-SF

BreakPoint
08-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Breakpoint, I believe Alpine asked for users to contribute the negative aspects of the Asian K90, not glowing reviews. Please keep on topic as much as possible.

-SF
OK, but I think that would make for a very quiet thread. ;)

BTW, AC is actually looking for BOTH positive AND negative feedback, if you re-read his OP above:

This thread exists to provide both positive/negative feedback on the Asian K-Factor Tour 90, if anyone is interested in reading up on this stick before making a purchase. ;)

SFrazeur
08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
OK, I will, but I think that would make for a very quiet thread. ;)

Quite is bliss, Breakpoint. Zeal can be a bit nosy at times.

Edit: True I am aware, but everything in moderation.

-SF

FedUp
08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
I love my AK90. I had a difficult time wielding the USk90 but I loved the control. I figured that the lighter racquet would suit me fine. I does the job extremely well.

AJK1
08-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Buying an Asian K90 is like drinking light beer, what's the point?
Full strength or nothing!
Go hard or go home!

BreakPoint
08-13-2007, 11:51 PM

Tastes great, less filling. ;) LOL

Orly_Yarly
08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Full strength or nothing!
Go hard or go home!

what racquet do you use then, real man? dont tell us you use anything lighter than 'full strength' 12.5 oz lol.

AJK1
08-14-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm too big and strong to use a "light version" of a K90.
If i bought one i would use the real thing.
We only sell the "man size versions" in Australia.

aznspongehead
08-14-2007, 04:14 PM

My racket is 10 pounds. You won't believe the plow through.

Orly_Yarly
08-14-2007, 04:45 PM

translation - you are NOT using the real man racquet

what THEY SELL has nothing to do with YOU :D

thanks for the clarification lol

nickb
08-14-2007, 04:46 PM
My racket is 10 pounds. You won't believe the plow through.

If it is a K90 that could well be true with Wilson's quality control :D

BreakPoint
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
The "light version" of the K90 is still 12 oz., which is still heavier than the majority of racquets on the market.

AlpineCadet
08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
But is it a stable racket with enough power? I am about to demo an ak90 later this week. I will update everyone with my opinions of the racket compared to the US k90. Apparently the original user prefered the US k90 over the asian K90.

BreakPoint
08-27-2007, 03:35 PM
But is it a stable racket with enough power? I am about to demo an ak90 later this week. I will update everyone with my opinions of the racket compared to the US k90. Apparently the original user prefered the US k90 over the asian K90.

I'm confused. You claimed to have demoed the AK90 over a month and a half ago, and so already knew its stability and power level and even commented on it. :confused:

Originally posted by AlpineCadet on 7/16/07:
I agree about the Asian K-factor Tour 90 feeling very weak in comparison to the US K90. I've hit with both, and the AK90 feels like it has the power level of the K-Factor 95 Team (probably around 1800.)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1596010&postcount=1645

And from your OP above:

I have personally hit with the Asian k90, and felt that it was too underpowered compared to the already underpowered US k90

AlpineCadet
08-27-2007, 03:39 PM

Are you trying to stalk or insult/harass me?

The racket that I am about to demo has been customized to almost match the weight and balance of a ProStaff 85. I believe this AK90 is almost 13 ounces, if not more. Hopefully it should play like a more forgiving PS85, but with a little more pop and spin. A review to follow! ;)

Azzurri
08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I am a bit confused. Have you hit with a STOCK AK90? I bought and LOVED the US K90, but had issues after the 1st set. Not because of the type of racquet (90in players), but the weight. The weight got to me after the first set. I had problems with my serve (too many hit the net) and it actually felt heavy in my hands, so heavy that I would hold it with my other hand between points. It was noticeable. I used to play with a Max 200g and PS 85 in my teenage and 20's, so I was a little surprised.;)

So I sell them and get a fe Asian K90's. Other than being easier to swing (a little), it just felt a whole lot lighter. I have been using the Asian Tour 90 and AK90 since March. I have not felt the need to hold my racquet in my non-playing hand. Monday eve I played a 3 hour doubles match (tight 3 setter) and the racquet never felt heavy.

I think the both the US and Asian play very similiar. I do think return of serve is better (for me) with the US and a little more pace on both wings (I noticed that right away), but I could not compare the serve and net game to the Asian. I could serve with more spin and placement with the AK90, more power too. I lose a little in "plow through" effect, but that's about it.

I realize its only .7 ounces difference, but its noticeable. Also, its still quite heavy (as BP stated) compared to most racquets.:)

Azzurri
08-27-2007, 11:07 PM

You don't think a 12 oz racquet is heavy enough for a "real man"?;)

Both of mine weigh over 12 oz when I add vibration dampener and overgrip.:)