PDA

View Full Version : How will Fed adjust to Djokovic?

Challenger
08-13-2007, 02:10 PM
It's been well versed that Fed excels at "figuring" players out (ie, Hewitt) that have previously beaten him. How do you guys think Fed will approach Djokovic the next time they meet? Do you think he even can figure Djokovic out?

To me, I just think Fed will have to improve that backhand of his. It's the main reason he falters against Nadal, and the main reason he lost to Djokovic in Montreal. Easier said than done, though.

I don't think there's really much to figure out in Djokovic's game. He's just extremely solid, and extremely consistent. Now that he's put it all together and seems to have fortified his mental focus, is there really anything you can pick at on his game?

If anything, Fed should look to attack Djokovic's second serve more, be more aggressive with his forehands, and maneuver points to his forehand side as well. There have been a lot of points where he was just exchanging backhands with Djokovic...I think he learned his lesson that it won't work with him. I think next time you see them matchup, Fed will try to move quicker and anticipate shots so he can surprise Djokovic with a few forehands that are intended for his backhand side.

Moose Malloy
08-13-2007, 02:15 PM
wow, all this over a 7-6 in the 3rd loss in a warmup event. wonder if we'd even be having this conversation if montreal was best of 5.

fastdunn
08-13-2007, 02:18 PM
he will make sure he doesn't have any rust in his game by US Open.

West Coast Ace
08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Stupidest...poll...ever.

According to the OP, I guess Fed cowers in the corner when Canas walks through the locker room (sarcasm)!

Challenger
08-13-2007, 02:21 PM
wow, all this over a 7-6 in the 3rd loss in a warmup event. wonder if we'd even be having this conversation if montreal was best of 5.

Wow, so we're not allowed to talk about Fed's loss at all? It's not like I'm implying Djokovic suddenly the GOAT, I'm just trying to hold a discussion in what Fed will try to do their next time up.

Challenger
08-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Stupidest...poll...ever.

According to the OP, I guess Fed cowers in the corner when Canas walks through the locker room (sarcasm)!

Uh, a master of logic you are not, my friend. I don't see where I have insinuated that at all.

Moose Malloy
08-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow, so we're not allowed to talk about Fed's loss at all? It's not like I'm implying Djokovic suddenly the GOAT, I'm just trying to hold a discussion in what Fed will try to do their next time up.

feel free to talk, but did it need another thread? there are like 20 threads on the same exact topic.

Challenger
08-13-2007, 02:27 PM
feel free to talk, but did it need another thread? there are like 20 threads on the same exact topic.

No, there's like 20 threads on trolls trying to bash Federer or claim Djokovic is the next big thing. This thread's original intention was to actually have DISCUSSION about tactics and what Fed may do to one-up Djokovic. But, as I've seen so far, most people here are incapable of that and just resort to trollish behavior.

pow
08-13-2007, 02:28 PM
I think that Federer will find his way around it... it was a best of 3 and two tiebreaks were involved in the final result. I don't think there is too much change we can realistically expect. Djokovic had a great tournament and he is a great player overall, hitting strong forehands and backhands.

Did anyone else notice how good Djokovic's dropshots are? Not just against Federer.

dubsplayer
08-13-2007, 02:30 PM
He should retire, obviously.

AM28143
08-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Steroids!!!!! Look what they did for Nadal.

bluescreen
08-13-2007, 02:58 PM
i think it was more of a fluke win. djokovic played really well and federer wasnt at the top of his game. if it was a slam final, i doubt it'd be the same result. it was federer's first tournament since wimbledon, so a little rust would be expected. he'll avenge himself next time they meet.

West Coast Ace
08-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Uh, a master of logic you are not, my friend. I don't see where I have insinuated that at all.LOL! You speak of logic - yet the #1 player, loses ONE match to a young guy, and he has to ADJUST? What do they teach you kids in school today? Maybe Summer School would have been a good thing for you.

tennispro11
08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
No, there's like 20 threads on trolls trying to bash Federer or claim Djokovic is the next big thing. This thread's original intention was to actually have DISCUSSION about tactics and what Fed may do to one-up Djokovic. But, as I've seen so far, most people here are incapable of that and just resort to trollish behavior.

Define Trollish? ;)

tennispro11
08-13-2007, 04:30 PM

Yeah or maybe he should just find the tallest building and jump off of it too. LOL!

saram
08-13-2007, 05:08 PM
It's been well versed that Fed excels at "figuring" players out (ie, Hewitt) that have previously beaten him. How do you guys think Fed will approach Djokovic the next time they meet? Do you think he even can figure Djokovic out?

To me, I just think Fed will have to improve that backhand of his. It's the main reason he falters against Nadal, and the main reason he lost to Djokovic in Montreal. Easier said than done, though.

I don't think there's really much to figure out in Djokovic's game. He's just extremely solid, and extremely consistent. Now that he's put it all together and seems to have fortified his mental focus, is there really anything you can pick at on his game?

If anything, Fed should look to attack Djokovic's second serve more, be more aggressive with his forehands, and maneuver points to his forehand side as well. There have been a lot of points where he was just exchanging backhands with Djokovic...I think he learned his lesson that it won't work with him. I think next time you see them matchup, Fed will try to move quicker and anticipate shots so he can surprise Djokovic with a few forehands that are intended for his backhand side.

I will take a guess that Djokovic was pumped as hell for this match and probably pacing all night like a crank fiend. Roger, on the other hand, is planning and preparing for the US Open. I doubt Roger will lose any sleep over this loss. And, should they meet in the US Open, Roger in straight sets.

This was not a fluke win, but Roger does not have to adjust anything. I doubt as well, that Roger is adjusting for another round with Canas. Losses hapapen. Roger is intelligent enough to know that it is just one loss...his life is not caving in and crumbling around him...and he will probably win the US Open and edge closer to Pete and Jack Nicklaus.....(18 Slams...).

Alexandros
08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Convert one set point.

SiLvErX
08-14-2007, 03:59 AM
OK I'm tired of FAd fans who are his fans so hard that they are blinded in seeing some things....

Before the match most of you Fed fans where saying Fed will tear him in 5 minutes...or...Oh look how lucky Fed is he dont have to be worried he dont have serious contender in the finals...oh we gonna watch broing finals..or that its better he played with Nadal then some nobody.... and so on and so on.....

And now you are saying he is going to take him easily in 5...he dont need to improve his game

Everybody is saying how it was a bbad day and he did not played very good...But neither do Djokovic

Djokovic played bad also..but he outsmarted Fed...

One of Djokovic favorite shots if you dont count the drop shots is the backhand and forehand Parallels especially backhand... and did you noticed how almost never used them and he had a lot of chance for it...thats because he was smart and always reterned the ball to Feds backhand..and FEd was to proud to move away from the line..that is why his shots were so bad...

And his serv did not work at all till the near end when was crucial...and that shows how mentally strong he is.Novak of course

So I find this poll and tread very good

I do think he need to improve his backhand but i also think that is much harder then to be more aggressive on his forehand and that is why i voted that..

attack his second serv...hm..easier to say then to be done..Djokovic have one of the best second servs in ATP it is very aggressive and have a lot of outside spin...so...

ktownva
08-14-2007, 04:27 AM
There is nothing he can do. He is at or near the top of his game right now but the field is catching up. He just needs to play well and keep himself in position to win. Eventually his stranglehold on the slams will loosen, and we will see more matches like the one against Joker, where he loses tough battles.

esm
08-14-2007, 04:41 AM
FFS, one match lost to Djokovic and every is thinking Fed's career is over....

How about asking Djokovic if he can keep up and beat Fed again next time... until them i dont think Fed would need bother to adjust to Djokovic.

SiLvErX
08-14-2007, 04:47 AM

How about asking Djokovic if he can keep up and beat Fed again next time... until them i dont think Fed would need bother to adjust to Djokovic.

Ok He dont need to adjust he should play like he play against nadal rodick or every other tennis player... he do not have any strategy.. and because of that he do not need to adjust. He probably never adjusted any thing in his game from the start of his carrier (sarcastic of course)

You make adjusting sound like its a bad thing

I do not say that he would not take Djokovic in best of 5 but I wouldn't be so sure that he will also...

natasha_nana
08-14-2007, 08:21 AM
yeah i agree with what's been said...there isn't much to adjust to tbh.
But he does need to attack 2nd serves more consistently - like he did in the 2nd set.

coloskier
08-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Don't worry, they were saying the same thing when Fed lost to Canas. "His career is over". Then he won Wimbledon. It's kind of like when that idiot golfer from South Africa says that Tiger can be beaten, and then Tiger brings out the whoopin stick in the next two tournaments.

ShooterMcMarco
08-14-2007, 08:35 AM
wow, all this over a 7-6 in the 3rd loss in a warmup event.

I agree. Its painfully obvious Fed wasn't playing well. Credit to Novak for not letting Fed claw his way back and find his range.

DarkTennis
08-14-2007, 08:41 AM
he only won once!! whats with these stupid polls!

Eviscerator
08-14-2007, 09:25 AM

One wonders if he should have ever picked up a racquet when so many jobs are available at McDonalds. :rolleyes:

Mr Topspin
08-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Convert set points as Alexandrous said. Fed had 6 sp's in the 1st set. He could have won 7-5, 6-2. If he had taken his chances we wouldn't be talking about how to make Djokovic President of the United States.

fgzhu88
08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
you forgot this option:
get more into the match.

Nuke
08-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Here's another option: Get a coach, a good one, and pay him to figure out what he needs to do.

federerfanatic
08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Convert set points as Alexandrous said. Fed had 6 sp's in the 1st set. He could have won 7-5, 6-2. If he had taken his chances we wouldn't be talking about how to make Djokovic President of the United States.

Bingo! Djokovic had a great tournament and deserves credit for beating Roddick, Nadal, and Federer all in a row to win his 2nd Masters of the year. Very impressive.

However Federer did not play well, and still wins 7-5, 6-2 if he takes an opportunity he should have taken. Yet Djokovic is now this unstoppable force Federer and others have to come up with a new strategy or new game style altogether for. Typical jumping the gun to irrational conclusions.

MaxT
08-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Nothing. Play a normal match Fed will win.

rorschack
08-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Steroids!!!!! Look what they did for Nadal.

I second the this! Taking steroid is the only hope for Fed. Like the poster mentioned above, look at Nadal! Also look at the Tour de France, everyone takes steroid! If I can remember somewhere, someone said the Joker took steroid too.