PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Champions to remain a trend?

Lleytian3
08-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Ever since hewitt had back-to-back world #1 in 01 and in 02, we havent seen much fire or much celebration in the recent champions that are in contetnion for GOAT

Sampras for example, he was always criticized for not expressing his love of the game. He never really had any big fist pump action like nadal or loud CMON's like hewitt. Federer almost mirros Sampras in that same aspect. They usually have their ball celebration once they win a slam or a master even. You will hear the occasional cmon from sampras or fed but not nearly as much as nadal or hewitt.

Then now you look at the next rising star. novak djokovic. he does have his occasional celebrations more than federer and sampras but still not nearly as much as nadal. now i thought this was going to change and nadal would be our new number 1. but seeing as how djokovic single handley took ou the #3, 2 and then 1 player in the world, we might be seeing the current "quiet" trend to continue.

Is having and expressing your love of the game a bad karma?? or will pros like nadal be able to claim the #1 spot on top of the world. thoughts??

krz
08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Idk I always felt joko let everybody know his feelings on court. specially the shirt over the head thing lol.

Roddick and Safin had a short stint at #1 and they were very vocal.

But, I think part of the reason Sampras and Fed are so good is that they don't need to pump themselves up. They don't need to be vocal. They are always focused and mentally in there.

West Coast Ace
08-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Totally random. Some people are outgoing, some aren't.

Jonny S&V
08-13-2007, 04:26 PM

I'm one of the former. If I'm not playing well, you'll here a CMON after every won point (not loud, but loud enough that you can hear it).

tennispro11
08-13-2007, 04:26 PM

I agree I don't think a tennis player's demeanor has anything to with them being great champions.

AM28143
08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
I think it is important for a sport to have a solid mix of outgoing players and quiet players. The NBA struggles with the fact that too many of their players are outgoing and on the contrary, golf stuggles with the fact that too many of their players are quiet. Tennis I think has a fair balance, but I would still like to see more outgoing players in the top 20. As for the number one player in a sport, I think it is good to have a quiet winner because it attracts more viewers. When MacEnroe was numbers one many "outsider" looked at tennis as a breeding ground for spoiled brats. Now that Federer is number one I think, for the most part, people look at tennis players as nice guys. Which, in the end of the day, helps the sport grow.

saram
08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I would embrace Roger and Pete a lot more if they would get a little more fired up. Seems they only become expressive when down, rather than up in a match. I would love to see the Roger of today with his skill and talent combined with the Roger of the past with the total temper as we have heard about in the past. That blend could make for quite a character.

krz
08-13-2007, 05:06 PM
I would embrace Roger and Pete a lot more if they would get a little more fired up. Seems they only become expressive when down, rather than up in a match. I would love to see the Roger of today with his skill and talent combined with the Roger of the past with the total temper as we have heard about in the past. That blend could make for quite a character.

That total temper and his inability to control it is a big part of the reason he wasn't winning GS back then.

saram
08-13-2007, 05:25 PM
That total temper and his inability to control it is a big part of the reason he wasn't winning GS back then.

i KNOW that, just would like to see the emotions...