PDA

View Full Version : It is sickening....

saram
08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
It really is. I am not a Fed Fan...but give me a break. They guy loses to the King of Clay and then to Djokovic and we declare Roger and his reign over? Holy crap...give me a break. Roger has been the #1 player in the world for so long that I cannot remember who was #1 prior to Roger. No, I don't like the listless personality of Roger, but dang--give credit where credit is due. He has beaten Rafa on clay when no one else could. He ruinned Rafa's run for consecutive wins on clay.

Did you get that? He beat Rafa on clay...when no one else could.

Rafa has not beaten Roger on Roger's soil yet. Djokovic beat him in an event that is no where near as important to Roger as a Slam. Roger is counting slams--not Masters events.

Again, disclaimer...not a Fed Fan...but ten threads calling him washed-up and having to change his game to beat everyone.....?

Hogwash!!!!

tennispro11
08-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Well said. I am tired of telling everyone on here to lay off and let's see what happens at the US Open. I guess there are too many haters out there. I don't see why they hate him though. He has been good for the game of tennis I think. Besides the crying after every win at a slam, but come on guys give it a rest already!

Jonny S&V
08-13-2007, 07:19 PM
It really is. I am not a Fed Fan...but give me a break. They guy loses to the King of Clay and then to Djokovic and we declare Roger and his reign over? Holy crap...give me a break. Roger has been the #1 player in the world for so long that I cannot remember who was #1 prior to Roger. No, I don't like the listless personality of Roger, but dang--give credit where credit is due. He has beaten Rafa on clay when no one else could. He ruinned Rafa's run for consecutive wins on clay.

Rafa has not beaten Roger on Roger's soil yet. Djokovic beat him in an event that is no where near as important to Roger as a Slam. Roger is counting slams--not Masters events.

Again, disclaimer...not a Fed Fan...but ten threads calling him washed-up and having to change his game to beat everyone.....?

Hogwash!!!!

I think he might be saving himself, sort of like Sampras, for the Grand Slams, and he is going to start finding out that the little events aren't important, so he will stop playing as many matches (like Davydenko) and save himself for the more important tourneys (sorry about the run on sentence).

saram
08-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Well said. I am tired of telling everyone on here to lay off and let's see what happens at the US Open. I guess there are too many haters out there. I don't see why they hate him though. He has been good for the game of tennis I think. Besides the crying after every win at a slam, but come on guys give it a rest already!

His crying shows just how important tennis is to him. I respect that. He covets a slam more than anyting in the world. People will blast me right and left for this next statement. But...

...Roger will win the US Open, then the Masters in November, then the AO, and then the FO...consecutive....

Not a calendar slam, as Laver...but close...the closest in years....

Nadal will not win the FO in '08...

OrangeOne
08-13-2007, 07:31 PM

Hogwash!!!!

If there was a post of the week (month?) competition here at TTW, you'd have my vote. Fantastic post, saram.

tennispro11
08-13-2007, 07:34 PM
If there was a post of the week (month?) competition here at TTW, you'd have my vote. Fantastic post, saram.

I completely agree. Vote # 2 :)

Alafter
08-13-2007, 07:37 PM
His performance this year is poor in comparison to last year.

His play this year is not as magical as I remember it from years before.

Since the beginning of the year till now he has net like 4 titles?

I dont know, this year either people are catching up or he is slacking in order to do more media.

saram
08-13-2007, 07:42 PM

I dont know, this year either people are catching up or he is slacking in order to do more media.

He is not slacking. People are pushing him. And, with all great champions, they arise from difficulty. Roger has gears that he can put his body into when pushed. When he gets pushed, he kicks it up a notch and rises above. He is now pushed. I have faith he'll find another gear and rise above even greater than he is now.

I know, that one day, he will win the FO, people will call him the GOAT hands down, and I'll be able to tell my daughter that I watched the GOAT in his prime.

He's a champion, a warrior, and give him time...he'll be the GOAT.

saram
08-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Thanks... he will be the GOAT and I just wish people would stop bashing him for one loss...

Forehand Forever
08-13-2007, 07:44 PM
These threads always appear when somebody beats Fed. Even if Roddick beat him there would be threads like. RODDICK TO BE #1!, RODDICK WINNING THE CALENDER SLAM??. Once Federer owns the US Open or destroys Djokovic then all these threads will be hogwash.

Disclaimer: I am not a Roger Federer Fan.

tennispro11
08-13-2007, 07:46 PM
He is not slacking. People are pushing him. And, with all great champions, they arise from difficulty. Roger has gears that he can put his body into when pushed. When he gets pushed, he kicks it up a notch and rises above. He is now pushed. I have faith he'll find another gear and rise above even greater than he is now.

I know, that one day, he will win the FO, people will call him the GOAT hands down, and I'll be able to tell my daughter that I watched the GOAT in his prime.

He's a champion, a warrior, and give him time...he'll be the GOAT.

I got to see him play in 2003 at the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston. I actually got his autograph as well. He was truly amazing to watch. PS I was there to watch that fantastic semi between him and Marat as well. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. :o I truly believe he will be the GOAT as well. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

saram
08-13-2007, 08:02 PM
I got to see him play in 2003 at the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston. I actually got his autograph as well. He was truly amazing to watch. PS I was there to watch that fantastic semi between him and Marat as well. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. :o I truly believe he will be the GOAT as well. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Lucky you!!!!! When I saw him dismantle Roddick at the AO, I realized I had truly witnessed the GOAT. When the Fed is on, he is Sick...just SICKENING.

Again...LUCKY YOU!!!

J-man
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM

Hogwash!!!!Very true. People like to fill this fourm with worthless banter. It get's very annoying espically when there are dumb headings and people just keep posting respnses and the topic keeps going on and on and on.

Federer's "reign" is not over I agree. He lost a very good Djokovic and was not playing his best. He still is the favorite for Cincy even though he will have stiff competion.

OrangeOne
08-13-2007, 08:21 PM
His performance......etc etc

Dude - you're exactly the sort of person this thread is targeting.

Let's do this line by line:

Poor in comparison? AO without losing a set, FO final (after beating Rafa in a leadup final), W win. Poor, even by comparison? You're dreaming. A meaningless small title or two less, who cares?

This is Federer, not Harry Potter (and anyways, magic is only magic the first time. Once it's been seen for a while, magic becomes normal).

Two of which are Grand Slams. Not bad.

Do you have any, any evidence at all of the media claim? He's pruning his schedule back in the aim of winning more slams and being around until 2012. Unlike many people here, Fed is very smart.

Chopin
08-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Uhh I'm not sure if it's "poor" in comparison to last year...it's still amazing to me since he's won 2 out of the 3 grand slams and reached the finals of the third and is dominating tennis in a way that Sampras never did...

When it's all said and done, I think Federer will be known as the greatest to ever play under any reasonable definition of "greatest." He's dominated the sport in a way that no one's ever done, in a time when it's harder to dominate then ever before. He's only a few slams away from break Pete's record. Laver's calender grand-slam record, while impressive, is a bit overrated. 3 out of the 4 slams were played on grass (yes, I know the grass might be somewhat different, but it's still grass).

People complain about the lack of depth in tennis today but it's mostly a lot of hot air from nostalgic old-timers. The truth is that tennis has grown monumentally internationally since the time of Laver, and today's average player is better trained, more athletic and more technically sound than ever before. Go to a challenger's event if you don't believe me. Heck, go to a tennis acadamy and see some 13 year old kid ripping topspin forehands with precision. The very infrastructure of tennis is larger and more competitive than ever before. Federer has dominated tennis with the greatest shot-making ever seen in the history of the sport, game, set, match Federer :-)

Radical Shot
08-13-2007, 08:27 PM
He is not slacking. People are pushing him. And, with all great champions, they arise from difficulty.....

Right on!

Failures are the pillars of success

saram
08-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Right on!

Failures are the pillars of success

So true...well said.;)

angelsdemons8600
08-13-2007, 08:33 PM
No excuses for Roger Federer. He lost to Djokic and he is losing his edge severely...My guess is he will be like Safin in a couple of months.
Anyway, who is this guy Roger Federer? He sucks at tennis from my observations.

finky
08-14-2007, 02:37 AM
The threads which say Fed is washed up, etc, etc are indeed misguided, imho.
However , it is unfortunate that everyone on this forum sees things so black and white .
I really admire Fed and think he has a chance to become the GOAT . I would even say in terms of completeness of game he already is!

However, there is no harm in acknowledging that Djokovic and Nadal are improving faster than he is (and he still is!) . The result is what you saw on Sunday.

You could conclude, therefore , that Rog needs to raise the bar again to make some daylight between himself and the field. This is not being disrespectful or dismissive, it is the kind of challenge champions ofetn face in their careers and he is well equipped to deal with it.

Standby for an announcement on a new coaching appointment.

TheSneakerologist
08-14-2007, 02:43 AM
This is a quality thread, but really shouldn't even have to be created. REAL tennis fans know what's going on

PimpMyGame
08-14-2007, 03:07 AM

The magic has been replaced by expectation. Federer IMO is pushing the game to new levels not seen in 20 years. Everything between Mac in 1984 and Federer has been a natural "progression" (for want of a better word) which culminated in Sampras winning 14 slams. Genius that he was, I don't think that PS has done as much for the game as Fed has already.

The likes of Becker, Lendl, Sampras et al guided us through the biggest change the game has seen. Federer is pushing the new game onto greater heights.

If someone came out of a 20 year coma and watched Federer play this year I'm sure they would consider his performances at AO and W magical.

mdhubert
08-14-2007, 03:57 AM
Nadal beat Fed on his soil in Dubai...
anyway it is good to have more than one guy challenging Fed. The golden eras of tennis were a set of several contenders with their own personalities and game style. A Federer will be always dangerous, like a Becker in his time, even if he's not number 1, and this what we love: the incertainty of the game. The fear you can see in the eye of a Nadal or a Fed against a Djokovic at crunch time, despite their domination and self-confidence, that's great ! And we will see this fear in the eye of Djokovic eventually when he's number one, against an always-dangerous-old Roger...

TennezSport
08-14-2007, 04:41 AM
Uhh I'm not sure if it's "poor" in comparison to last year...it's still amazing to me since he's won 2 out of the 3 grand slams and reached the finals of the third and is dominating tennis in a way that Sampras never did...

When it's all said and done, I think Federer will be known as the greatest to ever play under any reasonable definition of "greatest." He's dominated the sport in a way that no one's ever done, in a time when it's harder to dominate then ever before. He's only a few slams away from break Pete's record. Laver's calender grand-slam record, while impressive, is a bit overrated. 3 out of the 4 slams were played on grass (yes, I know the grass might be somewhat different, but it's still grass).

People complain about the lack of depth in tennis today but it's mostly a lot of hot air from nostalgic old-timers. The truth is that tennis has grown monumentally internationally since the time of Laver, and today's average player is better trained, more athletic and more technically sound than ever before. Go to a challenger's event if you don't believe me. Heck, go to a tennis acadamy and see some 13 year old kid ripping topspin forehands with precision. The very infrastructure of tennis is larger and more competitive than ever before. Federer has dominated tennis with the greatest shot-making ever seen in the history of the sport, game, set, match Federer :-)

Well here is one old timer that is in complete agreement with you. We are watching tennis history in the making, with more yet to come.

TennezSport :cool: