PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone throw tennis balls into the dryer?

Dink
08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
I've noticed that adding tennis balls actually speeds up drying time. They bounce around and beat the water out of your clothes.

Next time, try it!

thefan
08-13-2007, 07:56 PM
My only concern is that it will damage and/or dent the machine.

Dink
08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
My only concern is that it will damage and/or dent the machine.

They make a heck of a lot of noise, but they haven't damaged my dryer yet.

thundaga
08-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I've noticed that adding tennis balls actually speeds up drying time. They bounce around and beat the water out of your clothes.

Next time, try it!

wat possessed u to put tennis balls in your dryer?? were u drunk???

Dink
08-13-2007, 09:33 PM
wat possessed u to put tennis balls in your dryer?? were u drunk???

Actually, I was punishing them for the day before, when I lost in a tie-break.

Loco4Tennis
08-14-2007, 09:34 AM
i actually tried this once, years ago, and if i can recall correct, it made the ball bounce like crazy, i think the heat softens the rubber inside making the ball very springy, but eventually got VERY FLAT, to where you could squeeze the ball completely

coach
08-14-2007, 11:05 AM
i actually tried this once, years ago, and if i can recall correct, it made the ball bounce like crazy, Heat increases air pressure, that's why you get the extra bounce. Haven't you noticed on really hot days the balls may seem really bouncy? Same thing in car tires in winter (if you live in a cold climate) you need to add more air pressure.

Nuke
08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
A few tennis balls in the dryer are a good idea if you're washing/drying a down jacket or comforter. The down will go flat if you line dry it, but the bouncing balls in the dryer puff it up. Yes, it's noisy.

johnv_pr
08-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Doesn't it brings the dirt from the court to direct contact with your clean clothing?

origmarm
08-15-2007, 07:12 AM
A few tennis balls in the dryer are a good idea if you're washing/drying a down jacket or comforter. The down will go flat if you line dry it, but the bouncing balls in the dryer puff it up. Yes, it's noisy.

This is exactly how I have used them before, I put then in for down items also

Pr0DiGy
08-15-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm a little paranoid of the ball exploding from the heat increasing the air pressure...

origmarm
08-15-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm a little paranoid of the ball exploding from the heat increasing the air pressure...

Yeah I have to admit I put it on low just in case :)

Loco4Tennis
08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah I have to admit I put it on low just in case :)

what,, havent you guys ever had popcorn, same thing, just don't put any salt on these babys,, haha, just kidding,, salt is fine :-)

aznspongehead
08-15-2007, 08:08 PM

If it explodes the ball would just flip... I don't think it would blow up into pieces.

Dink
08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I use cheap Walmart balls for drying.

Shashwat
08-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Why would you throw tennis balls in the dryer with clothes?

First of all, your clothes would smell like tennis balls.
Second, they would have the fuzz from the tennis ball.
Third, it would be hazardous.

babolatpdtp
08-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Just be careful with what is in the dryer. If there is a shirt or something with a rough fabric, the ball fuzz will stick on it

AR15
08-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Why not just use Dryer Balls?

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=116

LuckyR
08-16-2007, 02:08 PM
My doubles partner will pop old balls into the microwave to liven them up before a session.

PROTENNIS63
08-16-2007, 06:33 PM
My doubles partner will pop old balls into the microwave to liven them up before a session.

lol...... haha

tangoll
08-17-2007, 01:32 AM
If the pressure of air inside the ball is greater than the pressure of air surrounding the ball, all this does is make the ball lose its bounce more quickly, since the higher inside pressure will force the air to leak out more quickly through the ball membrane. To maintain the bounce of the ball at its highest possible level, you want the pressure of air surrounding the ball to be greater than the air pressure the ball.

PimpMyGame
08-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Why not just use Dryer Balls?

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=116

I was going to suggest exactly the same thing as I was reading the thread, AR15 beat me to it. We have some and they work well.

I love that brand name lol.