PDA

View Full Version : Henman's Back! (Not in a good way)

finky
08-14-2007, 03:41 AM
I'm coming on to hard courts and struggling with my back again," said Henman. "That's been an issue for quite some time.

"You feel like you're playing in pain most of the time. Playing on the hard courts, it's always going to be pretty tough on the body. And, you know, I've done it for a few years."

Hmm.....do I sense a bit of ambivalence there? How much longer can he really play on? last night on Sky mark Petchey finally said it....Henman's game is too lightweight to play most of these guys.

superstition
08-14-2007, 09:08 AM
The main point doesn't concern Henman, but instead concerns the unsafe nature of hard courts. They should be changed to grass, clay, carpet, or some other safer surface.

Jasyn19
08-14-2007, 09:16 AM
... or maybe Henman should be moved from this Forum to the "Former Pro Player Talk" section where he probably belongs. Anyway, it's great he's out early so I don't have to look at him for another week.

finky
08-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Well there are two responses I wasn't really expecting!

Jasyn, I am sorry you dislike Henman so much . May I ask why?

Gugafan_Redux
08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Tennis is a young man's game. Remembering this will erase a lot of mystery about why once top players are no longer at the top.

superstition
08-14-2007, 10:02 AM
That point isn't central to the issue with hard courts. Mirza had a knee operation and she's 20. Plenty of players in their 20s are injured because of hard courts, and plenty have injuries in their early 30s because of the damage done to them when they're younger.

Tennis will always favor the young, but that's no reason for allowing players' careers to be shortened unnecessarily so tournament owners can make a few more bucks. In fact, I think it's less profitable for tennis to have so much injury and shorter careers.

nickynu
08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Jaysn , you seem rather cross at tiger tim , has he upset you in some way, or 1/
perhaps you have an illogical hatred of serve volleyers,

2/ or is it the you just dont recognise talented players oozing with class who still love the game enough to play it when the act of doing so causes them pain

3/or are you secretly the president of the usta and are scared he will win the us open taking away the glory from some more marketable teenage player

well ? All of England hangs on your reply

finky
08-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Hard courts are tough on the body , but years of general wear and tear and some biomechanical shortcomings also contribute to Tim's problems I think . Add his naturally light frame into the mix and voila, retirement.

Its not that many fans don't admire him, it's just that when it's time, it's time.

Tennis_Monk
08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Tim henman is still doing fine. He has been British #1 for years and now he is British #2. ............

I like TimHenman and his game. I never really liked the British media hype on Henman. I think that impacted his game.

Now he is a poor image of his old self. His best days are long gone. May be he will have a good tournament somewhere in the next few months and he will call it quits. Next wimbledon might be a possibility to say Bye to all his loyal fans.