PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time Fed was out-hot like that?

Turning Pro
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Sunday,By Djoko.

Before that on non-clay surfaces:

Wimby 07 Final (Had Nadal not had the injury)
Miami and IW's - Canas
Year end Masters Cup final - Nalby
AO 05 Semi's - Safin

Any more recent ones/?

156MPHserve
08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Didn't Gasquet smoke him off the clay courts once? One of the Master's leading to RG.

Turning Pro
08-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Forgot about Murray last year too.

psamp14
08-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Didn't Gasquet smoke him off the clay courts once? One of the Master's leading to RG.

gasquet won that match 6-7(1) 6-2 7-6(10)...how is that smoking federer off the courts...

by the way...how ironic that the scores of the sets of 3 setters federer's lost are always those tiebreakers and 6-2 sets...that makes 3 of them now that i know of...gasquet, canas from miami, and the "GOAT defining match" with djokavic ;)

psamp14
08-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Forgot about Murray last year too.

i thought the scoreline of that match was like 7-5 6-4....i saw the match too and it was not a smoking...

federer has not been "smoked" off the court in a long time on non-clay surfaces

even on clay nadal doesnt "smoke" federer off the court...

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 05:21 PM

Federer hasn't been smoked off the courts in his four year run at being #1. Yes he has been beaten, but not smoked off the court. Not even close.

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Federer hasn't been smoked off the courts in his four year run at being #1. Yes he has been beaten, but not smoked off the court. Not even close.

Aussie open 05 ? Fed at his very best losing to Safin, Id say that was pretty much Safin at his best also but you have to remember that many experts were pointing at the time that Safin is the only one who can take on Fed when hes on the role and playing 100% and he did just that ..

I hope someone is not going to run thru stats now, it shows nothing but numbers .. Hides much more, and that was one and only time I can remember he was beaten to the ground.

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't say he was beaten to the ground. The match went five sets. I don't think that qualifies.

daddy
08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't say he was beaten to the ground. The match went five sets. I don't think that qualifies.

No I did not say he was run over , I said he played 100% and lost, which is for me impresive from Saf. Face it Nole beat him b/c he was not 100% and nalbandian also, canas was a surprise for all of us but I still think that was the match he lost and expected to win purely because the level of his play was top or very close to his top at that time ..

NamRanger
08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Guga destroyed him 04 French Open in straights.

edberg505
08-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Last year in the semis of the French against Nalbandian. He was getting blown away before Nalbandian got injured. I was actually pulling for Nalbandian to win that match.

daddy
08-14-2007, 07:08 PM

This is clay, were talking fast courts or I did not understand ? just asking ..

tennispro11
08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Before you post read what the OP wrote, then you write what you think. This thread doesn't include losses on clay. He clearly states that. :)

callitout
08-14-2007, 07:16 PM
I was at the Murray match last year. Fed was hardly outhit. He was simply off--leading many to belive, perhaps inaccurately, that he tanked.
But he certainly wasnt overpowered. Murray played his usual boring but consistent style with plenty of short slice to Fed's backhand and Fed made error after error.
But it's not as if Murray had 30 aces and tons of big forehand winners.

my_forehand
08-14-2007, 07:18 PM
fed never been 'smoked'. a smoking is aussie open 07 semis with roddick. :(

daddy
08-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I was at the Murray match last year. Fed was hardly outhit. He was simply off--leading many to belive, perhaps inaccurately, that he tanked.
But he certainly wasnt overpowered. Murray played his usual boring but consistent style with plenty of short slice to Fed's backhand and Fed made error after error.
But it's not as if Murray had 30 aces and tons of big forehand winners.

Just a question, is murrays game a bit boaring ? I do find it so ? But then again being from Serbia and watching Jankovic, she was so defensive before and improved, hes young and can improve and will for sure, just asking and sorry for the off topic.

daddy
08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
fed never been 'smoked'. a smoking is aussie open 07 semis with roddick. :(

Hey - he smoked almost all guys on tour incl rafa on Hamburg, Nole on few occasions, Rod on 10 and blake on few and Agassi 3 - 4 times, and many others .. But the thread is oposite ?

AJK1
08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Aussie open 05 ? Fed at his very best losing to Safin, Id say that was pretty much Safin at his best also but you have to remember that many experts were pointing at the time that Safin is the only one who can take on Fed when hes on the role and playing 100% and he did just that ..

Well....Federer was injured don't forget!

Tennis_Goodness
08-15-2007, 01:40 AM
No I did not say he was run over , I said he played 100% and lost, which is for me impresive from Saf. Face it Nole beat him b/c he was not 100% and nalbandian also, canas was a surprise for all of us but I still think that was the match he lost and expected to win purely because the level of his play was top or very close to his top at that time ..

It was a good match but Federer was far from his best, some of the best iv'e seen of Safin but not from Federer!

slice bh compliment
08-15-2007, 01:46 AM

Good one. With the unforgettable scoreline: 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

And the guy whose serve looks like a Guga knock-off: Marko Baghdatis...had about an hour's spell in which he was absolutely taking it to Roger in a big way that first set and a half of the 06 Aus Open final. But partial matches do not count, obviously.

Yeah Djoko played well. How did he break back at 6-5, 40-love? Gave good account of himself. This kind of tennis must've been what he meant by ''controlling the match'' against Raf at RG (a 4-6, 4-6, ret. loss).

PhillyMike
08-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Federer is much hotter than Djok. He's super foxy.

Zets147
08-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Wow, I guess people don't know the meaning of "being smoked" lol

Straight Sets Win in a very convincing manner = smoked

Dubai, U.A.E.
International Series Gold, 25-Feb-02, O, Hard , Draw: 32
R16
Schuettler, Rainer (GER)40
3-6 1-6

Sydney, Australia
International Series, 6-Jan-03, O, Hard , Draw: 32
R32
Squillari, Franco (ARG) 81
2-6 3-6

Miami AMS, FL, U.S.A.
ATP Masters Series, 22-Mar-04, O, Hard , Draw: 96
R32
Nadal, Rafael (ESP)34
3-6 3-6

daddy
08-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Wow, I guess people don't know the meaning of "being smoked" lol

Straight Sets Win in a very convincing manner = smoked

Weeeeel Im not sure. Id say sweeter victory and more meaningfull is when you beat your opponent at his prime aplaybing the best tennis he can. Everyone has a bad day and if you smoke him on his bad day he will only come back to smoke you a dosen times after that, when he is mearly normal and ready /..

So for me you have to beat someone at his best to really smoke him and the result, thats just not important. If you are better than the best of your oponent that you smoked him. Especially if the oponent is wrld nr1 for some time already !

Jonny S&V
08-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Good one. With the unforgettable scoreline: 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

And the guy whose serve looks like a Guga knock-off: Marko Baghdatis...had about an hour's spell in which he was absolutely taking it to Roger in a big way that first set and a half of the 06 Aus Open final. But partial matches do not count, obviously.

Yeah Djoko played well. How did he break back at 6-5, 40-love? Gave good account of himself. This kind of tennis must've been what he meant by ''controlling the match'' against Raf at RG (a 4-6, 4-6, ret. loss).

Yeah, otherwise Roddick would be in this conversation (1st set and a half of the 2004 Wimby finals).

tennis_hand
08-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Sunday,By Djoko.

Miami and IW's - Canas
AO 05 Semi's - Safin

Any more recent ones/?

I can only think of the semi against Safin in 2005.

I don't think this year's Wimbledon he was out hot by Nadal. He doesn't have amount of confidence in that Wimbledon final as in Montreal. As proved, anyone who out hot Fed proceeded to win the tournament: safin and Djokovic.

ninman
08-16-2007, 02:13 AM
I can only think of the semi against Safin in 2005.

I don't think this year's Wimbledon he was out hot by Nadal. He doesn't have amount of confidence in that Wimbledon final as in Montreal. As proved, anyone who out hot Fed proceeded to win the tournament: safin and Djokovic.

Djokovic played very well, but Federer played pretty badly at times. First of all he lost his opening service game of the match, then at 6-5 40-0 on his own serve lost the game having had 6 set points, of course Djokovic had to come up with some amazing shots to get into that game, but Federer made a lot of unforced errors. Then he cruised through set 2, then dropped his opening service game (again) in set 3, it wasn't exactly a stunning performance considering that previous to that match he had held 38 of 39 service games played.

Yes Djokovic was playing excellent tennis, but he did not "out play" Federer. Federer hasn't had the best year so far if we're being brutally honest either, but then after last year every year is a poor year, how many people play 17 events and reach 16 finals, this year he's played 10 events and reached 7 finals. I think Federer will win all remaining tournaments he's entered and have another 10 titles for the year.

Povl Carstensen
08-16-2007, 03:26 AM
There seems to be a little pattern in that after winning a crucial set or game, Federer can loose concentration, both in Wimbledon and against Djokovich. Very understandable, because in those games he then loses, he starts out with fx two aces, or getting ahead 40-0. Very natural to relax at that point...
He unconcsiensly (spelling?) thinks its in the bag, and lifts his foot a bit of the pedal.

ninman
08-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Federer was a bit sloppy against Djokovic but definitely not out played.

daddy
08-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Federer was a bit sloppy against Djokovic but definitely not out played.

Just one more issue, I hope real tennis brains will help me on this - 06 FO finals. Fed broke him apart in first and then ? What happened ? He has the game, hamburg this year, also dismantled nadal, why doesnt he do that more often ?

ninman
08-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Just one more issue, I hope real tennis brains will help me on this - 06 FO finals. Fed broke him apart in first and then ? What happened ? He has the game, hamburg this year, also dismantled nadal, why doesnt he do that more often ?

It's a very good question, and nobody apart from Federer can answer it, because you're right, he CAN beat Nadal in a best of five set match on clay but for some reason hasn't yet. I just he stops doing it and then he might win the French Open for once.

LuckyR
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
There have been plenty of times before this year where Fed played poorly but the opponent seemed to suddenly figure: "holy crap! I actually could win this thing!" then completely fell apart. I think Fed kind of got used to everyone being so scared of him before he even walked onto the court, that he could play poorly and still beat them.

Now that he has been beaten a few times in succession, hopefully the rest of the draw can relax and play him straight up. If he plays well, he'll win and if he plays poorly he might lose.

rwn
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Sunday,By Djoko.

Miami and IW's - Canas
AO 05 Semi's - Safin

Any more recent ones/?

Some Nadalfans are dangerously delusional.

coloskier
08-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Sunday,By Djoko.

Miami and IW's - Canas
AO 05 Semi's - Safin

Any more recent ones/?

What???, you can only pick out 5 matches in 3 years???? Nadal has had that many whoopins in one hard court season. Djokovic has had even more.

Turning Pro
08-17-2007, 06:43 AM
^That's the whole point you moron, it dosen't happen often.

Some Nadalfans are dangerously delusional.

Some fed fans are hilariously asinine. It clearly impacted Nadal and gave Fed a LOT more confidence and the fact the the delay broke the momentum which was clearly in Nadals favour. Damn.

joebicko
08-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Sunday,By Djoko.

Miami and IW's - Canas
AO 05 Semi's - Safin

Any more recent ones/?

The last time Roger really got smoked off was 2002 in Wimby, by Mario Ancic
Three straight.

joebicko
08-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Check Wimbledon, 2002. You'll know what means Federer being smoked off!

NamRanger
08-17-2007, 07:04 AM
This is clay, were talking fast courts or I did not understand ? just asking ..

Who cares, Nadal can't even straight set Federer at the French Open. Guga did it with relative ease.

Andres
08-17-2007, 07:15 AM
What about Cañas win? 7-5, 6-2. A break in the first, two breaks in the 2nd.

daddy
08-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Who cares, Nadal can't even straight set Federer at the French Open. Guga did it with relative ease.

When my fried, when ? Tioming is right, Nadal bashes him at his best while gugga bets him when hes not undisputet .

daddy
08-19-2007, 12:28 AM
The last time Roger really got smoked off was 2002 in Wimby, by Mario Ancic
Three straight.

Shows to saw that ancic will be back and pose a force in tennis. I cheer for this, serbo croat young players battling it out. Me as a serb wopld like to establish normal neighbour relations and let the better win !! I was not sorry when djoko had hjim and went out, ancic deserved it and all respect to him !!!

Zaragoza
08-19-2007, 06:06 AM

Because Nadal isnīt usually as tired as he was in Hamburg.

daddy
08-19-2007, 07:09 AM

Guga did it with relative ease and look at him now, hes the greatest player to hand the trophys to the kings of today + guga only did that. I imagine guga got to Wimby finals and took a two sets from Fed and scared him ? Ye ye ..

:p

daddy
08-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Because Nadal isnīt usually as tired as he was in Hamburg.

I dont buy this. If you are a fan this may be your explanation but this is not something which is a part of his game, not against fed, not in hamburg , no way.

Zaragoza
08-19-2007, 07:25 AM
I dont buy this. If you are a fan this may be your explanation but this is not something which is a part of his game, not against fed, not in hamburg , no way.

Nadal played Rome and Hamburg in back to back weeks. He looked tired in Hamburg from the 1st round and in the 3rd set of the final he was totally out of gas, it was his 10th match in 12 days. Even Hewitt was close to beat him the day before. Federer could play more aggressive than usual in the last 2 sets against Nadal because of that. Federer problem against Nadal on clay isn´t tactical, it´s simply that Nadal is more gifted than him to play on clay and if Nadal doesn´t drop his level for some reason like he did in Hamburg it´s really tough for Federer to beat him on clay. I think people should accept this after 3 years. When Nadal recovered phisically it was again the same story in the French Open.
I think the same thing about Federer losing to Murray last year in Cincinnati after winning Montreal, he was too tired. It´s usual in back-to-back Masters Series. It´s not about being a fan of one or other.

daddy
08-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Nadal played Rome and Hamburg in back to back weeks. He looked tired in Hamburg from the 1st round and in the 3rd set of the final he was totally out of gas, it was his 10th match in 12 days. Federer could play more aggressive than usual in the last 2 sets against Nadal because of that. Federer problem against Nadal on clay isnīt tactical, itīs simply that Nadal is more gifted than him to play on clay and if Nadal doesnīt drop his level for some reason like he did in Hamburg itīs really tough for Federer to beat him on clay. I think people should accept this after 3 years. When Nadal recovered phisically it was the same story in the French Open.
I think the same thing about Federer losing to Murray last year in Cincinnati after winning Montreal, he was too tired. Itīs usual in back-to-back Masters Series. Itīs not about being a fan of one or other.

I disagree because 6 - 1 wehich could have easilly be 6 - 0 last year in frenc final , that was the first set ? Federers first final in most important match in career up to date, nadal coming back frmo the win the year before and getting a thumping of the lifetime ?

I think its more of fed missing selfbelieve while on clay. Rafa, undaubtably the best there is out there, he just can not withstand that Rafa is the king and here or there it gets to him and he falls into Rafas pattern - this is the thing for me my friend, not the tiredness or whatever else. GIfted for clay? You mean there is someone gifted for clay and not for tennis ? Its simple, they are both gifted, but nadal is hard core till-the-day-I-day fighter and federer is more a gentlemans player, trying to do it his way. I thing he should dig deep if he is to challange another time and change HIS style of movement and one more iimportant stuff :

Hamburg - he was hitting the ball slow, thats the way to go, not many errors and then pounce on the one you think is perfect, and nadal has those high ones. But why does he speed up at other clays, dont know. Its more of fed not being able to do what it takes to beat nadal than nadal is unbeatable, hell no.

Zaragoza
08-19-2007, 07:48 AM
I disagree because 6 - 1 wehich could have easilly be 6 - 0 last year in frenc final , that was the first set ? Federers first final in most important match in career up to date, nadal coming back frmo the win the year before and getting a thumping of the lifetime ?

I think its more of fed missing selfbelieve while on clay. Rafa, undaubtably the best there is out there, he just can not withstand that Rafa is the king and here or there it gets to him and he falls into Rafas pattern - this is the thing for me my friend, not the tiredness or whatever else. GIfted for clay? You mean there is someone gifted for clay and not for tennis ? Its simple, they are both gifted, but nadal is hard core till-the-day-I-day fighter and federer is more a gentlemans player, trying to do it his way. I thing he should dig deep if he is to challange another time and change HIS style of movement and one more iimportant stuff :

Hamburg - he was hitting the ball slow, thats the way to go, not many errors and then pounce on the one you think is perfect, and nadal has those high ones. But why does he speed up at other clays, dont know. Its more of fed not being able to do what it takes to beat nadal than nadal is unbeatable, hell no.

In the French Open final in 2006 Fed won 6-1 the 1st set, Nadal won 6-1 in the 2nd. You could ask too why Nadal can´t always do what he did in the 2nd set. The problem for Federer against Nadal in the French Open is consistency. He can play a brilliant set but you need to play 3 brilliant sets to beat Nadal in the French. In 3 matches at the French, Federer could only win 1 set on every match. Winning 1 set in a best of 5 doesn´t mean that the outcome of the match depends of your performance, it´s quite the opposite.
I said Nadal is more gifted than Federer to play on clay, not that he is only gifted on clay. Nadal isn´t unbeatable on clay but he is the closest thing to unbeatable because he owns the longest streak ever on any surface in men´s tennis. Again, when Federer loses to Nadal on clay it´s not because he did things wrong or his tactic was wrong, it´s because Nadal is the better player on clay.

daddy
08-19-2007, 07:52 AM
In the French Open final in 2006 Fed won 6-1 the 1st set, Nadal won 6-1 in the 2nd. You could ask too why Nadal canīt always do what he did in the 2nd set. The problem for Federer against Nadal in the French Open is consistency. He can play a brilliant set but you need to play 3 brilliant sets to beat Nadal on clay. In 3 matches at the French, Federer could only win 1 set on every match. Winning 1 set in a best of 5 doesnīt mean that the outcome of the match depends of your performance, itīs quite the opposite.
I said Nadal is more gifted than Federer to play on clay, not that he is only gifted on clay. Nadal isnīt unbeatable on clay but he is the closest thing to unbeatable because he owns the longest streak ever on any surface in menīs tennis. Again, when Federer loses to Nadal on clay itīs not because he did things wrong or his tactic was wrong, itīs because Nadal is the better player on clay.

I think you have a point but I also think not 100%. It is correct nadal is closest to unbeatable ever in clay, but I do think that after the first set in 06 fed should have challanged for the 2nd much harder and something went wrong. Mentally, not otherwise. I dont know, remains to be seen, we share similar opinions but I am still not sure why he has not won ONCE over 5 sets , he HAS the game and HAS the stamina but lacks consistancy, and seems to lack it more and more even on hards these days.

Zaragoza
08-19-2007, 08:02 AM
I think you have a point but I also think not 100%. It is correct nadal is closest to unbeatable ever in clay, but I do think that after the first set in 06 fed should have challanged for the 2nd much harder and something went wrong. Mentally, not otherwise. I dont know, remains to be seen, we share similar opinions but I am still not sure why he has not won ONCE over 5 sets , he HAS the game and HAS the stamina but lacks consistancy, and seems to lack it more and more even on hards these days.

Federer had 2 match points in the Rome final in 2006, I think it was his best match on clay against Nadal but Nadal was a bit luckier that day. So Federer has a chance to beat him in a best of 5 but the way both played this year on clay I donīt see Federer getting better and Nadal getting worse so it will be tough for him.

daddy
08-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Federer had 2 match points in the Rome final in 2006, I think it was his best match on clay against Nadal but Nadal was a bit luckier that day. So Federer has a chance to beat him in a best of 5 but the way both played this year on clay I donīt see Federer getting better and Nadal getting worse so it will be tough for him.

On the mark. Unless injury strikes nadal ( 20% chance IMO ) Fed will not beat him in French in 08. Unles he prepares like 50% better for the next year but I think hes running out of gas for a while now, he is fed up with the losses on clay. So hard to play on clay, you get to final each and every time and then 19yr old guy beats you every time ... Id be crushed.