PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Cincinnati !!

illinoisTennis
08-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Hope I can ask this question here.

Hey guys,
Me and my wife are thinking about driving to Cincinnati. We live in IL about 4 hours west of cincy. We would like to watch both federer ( I like federer) and Nadal play. What do you guys think is the best time to attend the event so we can check these two play and maybe see some pros practicing.

What all things to bring from home when going to watch a tennis match. We have never been to any live pro events. We have a 10 month old baby and we are bringing her too.

Thanks.

Jasyn19
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
LOL. This is the funniest post I have seen for a long time. Thanks!

illinoisTennis
08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
LOL. This is the funniest post I have seen for a long time. Thanks!

Funny??

ten characters

Dimonator133
08-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Funny??

ten characters

good point about 10 characters

tenis
08-14-2007, 12:25 PM
It's tooo hot, and if you have 10 months baby, STAY AT HOME !!!!

VGP
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
It wasn't bad today (I live in Cincinnati).

Tomorrow would be a good day. Federer and Nadal should be scheduled to play. Even if one gets slated for a night match, they'd be on the practice courts about 5:30 to prepare.

Oh about your baby.....depends on your baby.

callitout
08-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Kentucky is just over the border and you can stash your wife and baby there while you enjoy some tennis.
Oh as for the tournament, youll see everyone practice up close and go tomorrow or thursday as there are lots of courts going. It's a fun tournament.

PDRPPHVS+
08-14-2007, 06:37 PM
you better buy tickets in advance, i had to get a grounds pass, today, cound not get in center court but snuck in, though you cant sneek in on the semis, and finals,!

Jasyn19
08-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm still chuckling.

The reason I found the OP so funny was the sheer innocence of it all - on this Forum.

I saw in the OP a wonderful, innocent, small family about to embark on an adventure to Cincinatti. In preparation, I pictured the family head tiptoeing onto this Forum in the politest possible way and, in the first breath, admitting that he likes Federer, and wants to watch him and Nadal.

WHOA! This Forum does not allow that! First you have to get some kind of permission to like Federer. Or Nadal. No way you can take in both! This is a WAR ZONE. It's the tennis equivalent of Iraq. It's no place for the polite. Express an opinion here and... WHAM! you're shot down by a bunch of adolescents screaming their preferences and dissing yours. And don't forget: this is the USA and, with the Star Spangled Banner revving up in the background, the patriotic thing to do, right hand slapped to left breast, is to like R-O-D-D-I-C-K.

So, with a picture of loud and voluble tennis lions and lionesses swinging racquets and firing verbal volleys into the arena, I had this picture of you bringing a 10-month-old baby, wrapped up in fluffy innocence, as you stood tip-toe, blinking into the Cincinatti sun, the three of you, at the edge of this arena. It's a dangerous place, and not for the faint of heart. I mean, even Novak Djokovic (he's a rapidly rising Serbian 20-year-old tennis player who won the Montreal Masters last week) flung his racquet into the crowd.

And I found myself laughing out loud. Not at you. But at the bizarre picture that all conjured up.

In fact, Mason's courts are great. I'm not sure if there's a creche for the baby (no one I asked seemed to know), but there are lots of baby facilities. There's also a huge amount of information on getting to Mason, and the setup, on: http://www.cincytennis.com/en/default.asp

And I'll watch out for you. The fluffy little 10-month-old bundle will be a sure give-away. But just beware of liking Federer too loudly!

illinoisTennis
08-15-2007, 04:15 AM
Nice post (above).
We drove last night to cincy, we checked in like at 1 am. We woke up this morning at 8 am and getting ready to leave. We need to grab an umbrella (@ target) and head to the tournment center.
Hewitt and Gasquet should be fun. I love Gasquet's backhand.

JLyon
08-15-2007, 04:30 AM
hopefully you realize the tournament is about 40 miles North of Cincy in Mason, OH. Also it does help to check the order of play the night before so you know who will be playing and at what time.

illinoisTennis
08-16-2007, 06:45 AM
hopefully you realize the tournament is about 40 miles North of Cincy in Mason, OH. Also it does help to check the order of play the night before so you know who will be playing and at what time.

Actually my hotel was 1 mile from the tournament in mason. I enjoyed watching my first pro tennis matches. Man Federer is so slim, he looks different on TV. I saw him practicing on wednesday. He is THE MAN!!

With the baby it was alittle difficult but we managed.
Thanks.

Richie Rich
08-16-2007, 06:51 AM
With the baby it was alittle difficult but we managed.
Thanks.

yup, the spoiled pro's like nothing better than a 10 month old baby crying at their matches. hope you managed ok. tennis facilities aren't the most baby friendly - changing areas, feeding, etc

illinoisTennis
08-16-2007, 07:05 AM
yup, the spoiled pro's like nothing better than a 10 month old baby crying at their matches. hope you managed ok. tennis facilities aren't the most baby friendly - changing areas, feeding, etc

I agree, tennis facilities aren't baby friendly at all. I asked at the info desk for a family room but they didn't have ONE!!. We had to change in public in a corner with some people staring at us.
My wife got autographs of several pros, we took a picture of jamie murray holding our daughter, he was really nice. I met Leander Paes and Bhupathi, Del Potro, Karlovic (he is TALL). It was a joy watching Federer practice and also his match with Bennetau. Our daughter was alittle hyper during the night match, she was making some noise (babbling), hopefully people around us didn't mind.

Fed practiced in Court 5 at 5 pm, me and wife and daughter were seated in front row from 4 pm waiting for Fed. It started to rain and som folks left thinking he may not show up for fear of risking injury, but THE MAN showed up. When Fed walked infront of me, he was like 1ft from me, I was thinking about asking "How do you do it???" but didn't , lol. After practice he signed autographs, my wife got his autograph too.

During practice, the way he hits the ball is unbelievable. So crisp. I don't know who he was hitting with. I have some pictures, I will post it soon.

illinoisTennis
08-16-2007, 07:19 AM
One more thing. Parking was a mess. I parked in the public parking and when we were done after fed's match, we went to the lot. While coming, the cart gave us a ride since we had a stroller, but while leaving, they said we have to walk.

Parking lot was not lighted, we had a hard time finding our car. It took us some 30 minutes, serveral other people were looking for their cars. It was a nightmare. We live 4-5 hours in IL, so we had to find the car faster, Finally we found the car. Heavy traffic on I-71 and 275, finally made home at 2pm, oh entering IL , I took a short cut in the country and got almost lost in the middle of nowhere but my internal compass clicked and we made it.

Fee
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
My wife got autographs of several pros, we took a picture of jamie murray holding our daughter, he was really nice. I met Leander Paes and Bhupathi, Del Potro, Karlovic (he is TALL). It was a joy watching Federer practice and also his match with Bennetau. Our daughter was alittle hyper during the night match, she was making some noise (babbling), hopefully people around us didn't mind.

That's too funny. I was talking to Jamie when your wife came up and asked for the photo. I teased him about looking like a presidential candidate taking pictures with babies. It was very patient of him to do that for you since you had to take more than one, but it was such a cute moment. Glad that you had a good time at your first pro event. :)

dubsplayer
08-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Glad you had a nice time at the tennis and managed with the baby and all. And just a heads up for future reference it's even more difficult when they become toddlers.

Yes, the parking lots there are awful. They're even worse if it's been raining so consider yourself lucky.

Jasyn19
08-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I heard a baby screaming at the end of one of the sets, and I wondered! Sounded too old for 10 months. Glad you had a sort of great time. Way too hot here for humans.