PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic taking inspiration from Agassi?

Ambivalent
08-14-2007, 02:53 PM
After watching some youtube clips, i've noticed that Djokovic's backhand dropshot is VERY close to the one agassi hits, especially in the way they mask it. Anyone else notice this?

daddy
08-14-2007, 08:25 PM
After watching some youtube clips, i've noticed that Djokovic's backhand dropshot is VERY close to the one agassi hits, especially in the way they mask it. Anyone else notice this?

I wouldnt say so. At first he was using it on clay when he had many problems with breathing before the operation, to shorten the points and he did it quite awfully to be honest. But trying it so many times, you know , practice makes perfect. Motion is maybe similar but agasi was very mature when he used the dropshot to his advantage, planing it thruout the point and trying to create opening for the shot he perfected whereas Djoko is just doing it when he is tired or when oponent is so out of it by accident...

Challenger
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I wouldnt say so. At first he was using it on clay when he had many problems with breathing before the operation, to shorten the points and he did it quite awfully to be honest. But trying it so many times, you know , practice makes perfect. Motion is maybe similar but agasi was very mature when he used the dropshot to his advantage, planing it thruout the point and trying to create opening for the shot he perfected whereas Djoko is just doing it when he is tired or when oponent is so out of it by accident...

Judging by his matches against Nadal and Federer in Montreal, it seems he has a pretty "mature" understanding of when and how to use the drop shot effectively. In those matches, I can still recall how he pushed Fed and Nadal off the baseline in certain instances with his deep and strong groundstrokes, then dipped in a Droppah when they were out of the play. When even Fed and Nadal have trouble getting to your dropshots, you KNOW you gotta be doing them right.

Granted his decisions are still prone to a few ill-advised chances, but he is much more consistent these days.

daddy
08-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Judging by his matches against Nadal and Federer in Montreal, it seems he has a pretty "mature" understanding of when and how to use the drop shot effectively. In those matches, I can still recall how he pushed Fed and Nadal off the baseline in certain instances with his deep and strong groundstrokes, then dipped in a Droppah when they were out of the play. When even Fed and Nadal have trouble getting to your dropshots, you KNOW you gotta be doing them right.

Granted his decisions are still prone to a few ill-advised chances, but he is much more consistent these days.

Definitly upgraded in this dept but Id say he abuses it sometimes, pretty often in french this year. Although getting to semis is very good especially having this in mind. We comment alot on this matter here, we dont like his abuse of dropshots and I think its going to be used in a better way in the future, but I am sure he still needs to go for shots more rather than to outsmart fed and rafa.

veritech
08-15-2007, 01:20 AM
evidently his all-time idols are sampras and agassi

crazylevity
08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I think it's a valid tactic. With people playing further behind the baseline due to immense power and topspin in the modern game, simply KNOWING that your opponent CAN AND WILL hit a good dropshot will put doubts in your mind, and you will be worrying about it every time you move more than 5 feet behind the baseline.

I've used this tactic before, and then hit topspin drives while pretending I was about to hit a drop shot. Totally surprises the opponent.

daddy
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
evidently his all-time idols are sampras and agassi

When we spoke ( press conference ) he said sampras, not mentioning agassi. Maybe but Id say he takes lessons from Petes book.

Jonny S&V
08-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Definitly upgraded in this dept but Id say he abuses it sometimes, pretty often in french this year. Although getting to semis is very good especially having this in mind. We comment alot on this matter here, we dont like his abuse of dropshots and I think its going to be used in a better way in the future, but I am sure he still needs to go for shots more rather than to outsmart fed and rafa.

At least he is no Murray. I love the drop shot, but even I think he goes overboard.