PDA

View Full Version : Your top speed for strining a racket??

mrwise
10-22-2004, 10:21 AM
What is your average speed for stringing rackets? I would be interested in knowing the average time it takes most stringers. I would also know if you have a personal best. Please make sure that you are not cutting corners and just ripping through it to get it done.

TwistServe
10-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Well I usually take 45-60 minutes to string my racquet, but that's because I take my time and I'm usually watching the Benefactor or the Apprentice while I string.. so I take mini breaks to pay more attention to the show..

My personal best is probably 40 minutes.. I'm a slow stringer :(

10s99
10-22-2004, 11:36 AM
my average time is around 45 minutes. i don't really rush - i have found that if i've made a mistake, it is usually a result of rushing, then, yes, i may have strung it in 30 mins. but i have to start over. . . so, really no time savings. i don't string that much, though, and i'm sure it can be done faster and well.

rich s
10-22-2004, 12:03 PM
on average 35-40 min w/ a drop weight and fixed clamps while watching some sort of TV show.

moosryan
10-22-2004, 12:04 PM
over the summer i could get under 20 on a machine that has got to have costed less tan 60 bucks...

Jay34
10-22-2004, 12:38 PM
average for me is 20-25 mins, depending on the racquet and string. it can be done in 15 mins.

ChrisNC
10-22-2004, 12:44 PM
5 Minutes flat

Minutes 1-3: "Hey Don, I need this strung"
Minutes 4-5: "Thanks Don"

I need to buy my own machine, but I keep procrastinating. I hate paying for stringing

Jay34
10-22-2004, 12:50 PM
5 minutes? how many strings are you pulling at 1 time??

mrwise
10-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Haha...I wish I could afford to string my rackets in 5 minutes. My average is about 20-25 minutes. But I am stringing roughly about 2-3 rackets a week. There are times when I am doing 6-8 a week during August and September. This is the HS boy's tennis season.

fastdunn
10-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm embarassingly slow. 1-2 hour with my drop weight machine
and a little over 1 hour with my crank machine I recently got.
I'm not really into speeding. I'm trying to ensure quality.
Hmm, I might be speedier if I get used to the crank machine..
I'm not much fatser even on my friend's high end elecronic machine....
I do everything slow including making love ha ha ha.

Marc C.
10-22-2004, 02:47 PM
5 Minutes flat

Guys, he was joking!

BigboyDan
10-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Depends on the stringing machine used. Takes us about 20 minutes on our Prince 3000 electric, 30-35 on the manual Prince NEOS 1000. Most common mistake (not often) is a mis-weave, gotta' watch it. We never give a customer any less than an hour's time for his string job, though.

K!ck5w3rvE
10-22-2004, 05:19 PM
My coach does about 10 minutes usually for 1 piece, but he strung up one of my racquets at a tourny in 8 minutes, between a change of ends! Thats fast...

finchy
10-22-2004, 05:29 PM
my coach can do 8 1/2 to 10 minutes per racquet. i think those are 1 pieces though. he can do a 2 piece in about 12 minutes i think.

borisboris
10-22-2004, 06:41 PM
8)My fastest = 1 hr 20 min. My ave = 1 hr 30 min on a drop weight w/ glide bars --- 1/2 hr on mains 1 hr on X's. Cna't seem to find any shortcuts. :x

Smashlob
10-22-2004, 07:15 PM
I usually do it in ~25 minutes,

my personal best is 20.

prince
10-22-2004, 09:26 PM
50-60 minutes

annihilatorpro
10-23-2004, 02:43 AM
~20 minutes, but usually i'll take my time and be consistent with the tensioning pulls and not take any short cuts or anything with the typical stringing time being around 40 minutes.

Marc C.
10-23-2004, 03:29 AM
About 20 minutes on my e. stringer at home. About 30 on the gamma 7500 work, but just wait until I get used to that one.

Cruzer
10-23-2004, 12:18 PM
It seems from the responses that most are concerned with doing a good job rather than trying to set speed records. If you are stringing your own racquets or racquets for friends or paying customers it follows that you would take your time to make sure everything is done just right. It takes me 40-45 minutes to string a nylon string. Polyesters like Luxilon take a few minutes longer because the stuff has such nasty coil memory. Gut takes about an hour because it requires more care to ensure it does not kink during stringing. All these times include frame mounting on my Gamma ST II, checking for damaged grommets, prestretching and measuring the string and then stringing
Personally I am not impressed that someone can string a racquet in under 10 minutes. Just as I would not be impressed by a mechanic that says he can replace the brakes on a car in 20 minutes.
Several months ago there was a similar thread on racquet stringing time and I posted that I would never let anyone string any of my racquets that was primarily interested in getting the job done as fast as possible. I elicited a few responses from people that they string at ATP and WTA tournaments claiming that they regularly string racquets in under 20 minutes and as one of them put it they never do a "bodgy" job. Well, whatever. I will take quality over quantity anytime.

David Pavlich
10-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Cruzer:

GOOD string jobs are commonly done under 20 minutes. That's my usual time, 15-20 minutes on frames like a Wilson HPS 6.1 depending on the string. That's my normal pace...not pushing, not looking to break my personal record. However, if needed, there is that extra gear or two in reserve for those days that I get 12 or 14 frames in the shop. It's a matter of repetition that makes the process go smoother and quicker without sacrificing quality.

You have to consider the equipment, too. The top end machines are so ergonomically superior to the low end machines that it makes the process easier to produce excellent frames time after time. It's not to diparage the lower end machines, it's just that the ease of clamping, mounting, tensioning and so on have a dramatic effect on the process. As I've posted so many times before, there's a reason that the stringing houses use the top end machines.

And then there's the pro stringers. These people can buzz through a frame very quickly AND produce a quality product each and every time. If they didn't, they wouldn't be in the stringing houses at the major tournaments. Again, repetition, excellent technique and excellent machinery all equate to a high quality, quickly produced product.

David

schaefferm46
10-23-2004, 01:58 PM
it depens on the string with poly i can do it in aroud 30 minutes with prince sen i can do it in 18 minutes

Lambsscroll
10-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Fasted was 11 minutes using a Babolat star 4. It was a Prince racquet that had less than the normal amount of mains and crosses. Stringing 3 to 4 racquets in an hour was normal. Stringing with poly in a dense pattern racquet can slow things up though. :D

catcat
10-23-2004, 08:23 PM
I'm slow I take 50-60 minutes.

Ryoma Kun
10-23-2004, 10:34 PM
i average 25-30 mins a racquet, really depends what string and what racquet.

the fastest time so far has been 16 min and thats single pulling all strings, no double pulls. it was a shark strung at 52 with softflex... i remember it as my shining moment. i wasnt even trying to go fast, when i go fast i find it actually takes me longer than when im relaxed.

David Pavlich
10-24-2004, 05:50 PM
i average 25-30 mins a racquet, really depends what string and what racquet.

the fastest time so far has been 16 min and thats single pulling all strings, no double pulls. it was a shark strung at 52 with softflex... i remember it as my shining moment. i wasnt even trying to go fast, when i go fast i find it actually takes me longer than when im relaxed.

I always assume that when someone asks about stringing, regardless of the topic, proper stringing protocol is to be expected. If someone is getting great string times but double pulls or uses other bad practice short cuts, the this person isn't a stringer, he or she is a hack.

David

Smashlob
10-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Just like anything, speed gets better with practice. While I do not claim to be up there with those who have strung at Grand Slams, I have strung hundreds of racquets.

My time for first stringing a racquet was about 2 hours, after that, it steadily went down. I have a solid machine, with good mounting and quick clamps. I know the machine so well that I could probably string a racquet blindfolded. This all contributes to my average 25 minute speed. I have never and will never double pull or use any shortcuts that will hurt the end result.

Insulting those who do this for a living by accusing them of doing inferior jobs just because YOU cannot string as fast of them isn't nice.

fastdunn
10-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey, looks like I'm the slowest...

I agree that slow stringing does not equal the quality.
I take over 1 hour because I watch movies and stuff while
I'm stringing. And I'm often with my girlfriend and sometimes
answer phones and stuff... That does not really translate into
quality stringing.. ha hah ha. :)

Power Game
10-25-2004, 07:10 PM
About 30 min, for a high quality string job

cantaloupe
10-25-2004, 08:19 PM
fastest was 10 mins on a 300g with tnt fat core, straightened the string and everything.

pure luck
10-25-2004, 09:11 PM
My coach does about 10 minutes usually for 1 piece, but he strung up one of my racquets at a tourny in 8 minutes, between a change of ends! Thats fast...

that's not only fast, it's very fast

joe sch
10-25-2004, 09:29 PM
5 minutes and I was taking my time !
BTW, it was 6 x 6 practice racket :D

mrwise
10-26-2004, 08:10 AM
I think most of us who string would agree that our personal best, as far as a string time goes, was probably done on one of our own rackets while bored at home on a weekend. I agree with the poster who said that quality is a must for any stringer. I am sure that some of you know people in your area that string rackets as a fly by night service. I have been stringing for over 15 years. So I have seen people come and go with their special prices and special strings, or high school kids who bought a $150 drop weight. I have lost a few customers to these, but then in the end they usually come back after a time or two of getting a crappy string job. I think that stringing is just like anything else with the fact that when I am stringing a lot of rackets during a time period I get more feel and rhythm in my stringing. So this speeds the time of my stringing up by a few minutes. I don't think any of us who are in the stringing business look for breaking our personal best time during someone else's racket. This thread was started as a means of entertainment and not to see who was ripping through string jobs as fast as possible to rip off their customers.

HT
10-27-2004, 12:10 AM
What are the fastest time for a GUT job?
For me, 55 min.
40 for multi strings.

DANMAN
10-27-2004, 06:24 PM
On my Gamma X-St
Synthetic/Multi 14 minutes
Poly 17 Minutes

On my SP E Stringer FL
Synthetic/Multi 17 Minutes
Poly 20 Minutes

bcaz
10-27-2004, 11:57 PM
About an hour fifteen, but I do real good work.

Richard Parnell
10-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Pure Drive Team with Vs Team 125 at 29Kgs round the world in 14 mins.Not by choice.Once you get used to gut it is easier than most other strings.All the best,

David Pavlich
10-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Pure Drive Team with Vs Team 125 at 29Kgs round the world in 14 mins.Not by choice.Once you get used to gut it is easier than most other strings.All the best,

Hey Richard, lurking, I see. You're right about gut not being as difficult as it's made out to be. Prestretched, it has a much less chance of kinking and if you do your duty, it won't twist.

I know the first few gut jobs I did went well until the end. It happened to be iRadical mp frames which done ATW, have some well blocked holes (I didn't know the terrific pattern you told me about then). When pulling the last 2 crosses, the string wants to twist badly. That's when I discovered LUBRICATION really helps keeping the twisting to a minimum.

Question: Do you use power pads or tubing at the 4-5 grommet on the Pure Drive when stringing gut? I had one customer bring in a PD with Tonic+ that snapped right at that spot. That's a very sharp angle there. I tubed his frame at that spot and had no problem. As a matter of fact, he was in a couple of days ago with it popped, but it was popped in the middle of the sweet spot.

FYI, his frame was new when strung with the Tonic according to him. I couldn't see any bad spots on the frame, but I suppose that there could have been a burr or something.

By the way, 14 minutes is really hustling using gut. Even though it's not as bad as many think, you still have to watch what's going on. Were you using Albert's Super Stringer?! :wink:

Have a great weekend!

David

Richard Parnell
10-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi David
No just a sensor dual and an irate player about to go on court.
I don't usually tube unless asked.Don't tend to have many break at the 4-5 but when I was with the Australian team there was a player who had that problem.
Have a great weekend

armand
09-19-2005, 07:22 PM
was just talking to my friend and she knows this dude, Karl something, apparently he strung for Boris Becker. His fastest time is 6 min apparently.