PDA

View Full Version : make more head light

cnowak1
08-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi, my current racket weighs 305 grams and is 6pts head light. How can i make it around 10-12 pts head light? Would this make the racket easier to manuever? Swingweight?

scotus
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
You can put lead on the handle under the grip or on the buttcap (If your buttcap opens up, you can stuff the handle with weights as well).

You can also put on a heavier grip (e.g. leather) or wrap another overgrip on it.

Notice that you can only make the overall weight heavier (unless you want to remove the head guard).

origmarm
08-15-2007, 01:12 AM
I have put lead on mine to make it more headlight, I put some lead tape just above the grip on the handle as that's where it felt right for me. I experimented with under the grip, in the handle (i.e take the buttcap off) also.
For me it feels more manueverable as a result. It is however heavier as you would expect.
If you use lead tape you can experiment and just take it on/off. Best advice is to give it a go and check out:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

keithchircop
08-15-2007, 01:44 AM
leather grips weigh between 18 and 31 grams.

you can also make the racquet more HL by removing the bumper guard if it has one.

ps60
08-15-2007, 10:50 AM
add 6-8g under the grip. from the butt cap up to around where 13~15cm from butt. That's where i like it. Some like it near the top of the grip, i am just the opposite.
easier way to test if u like the feel is add some wt like a coin on the butt cap with silicone gel.
won't add much to SW this way. only 1 unit maybe, but the swing FEEL is altered, U like it or not

gregmiata
08-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Another way to make a racquet a little more HL and reduce the swingweight at the same time is to use lighter strings. Either a higher gauge or a lighter construction.

I use a Nsix-one 18x20 and the swingweight is a little too much for me with 16ga string, so i use 17 or 18ga string and find it plays great. A little more HL and a decent amount lower in swingweight.

I estimate that for each gram you shave from the weight of the strings you reduce the swingweight by about two. Not sure how to measure the effect on balance but I know the lower swingweight makes the racquet play like it is quite a bit more HL since it is easier to move at the net.

Greg