PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a string for me please...

munckee
10-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Here's the deal. Two string ago I was playing with a 17g prince duraflex. Six months of hard playing later, I still hadn't broken a string and they'd stretched out so much that the tension was horrible.

SO, next time I strung it with an 18g prince duraflex. This one frayed pretty substantially over the course of a month, but still felt good until I had to retire the frame :?

Now I'm looking at what string to put in the new frame (same racquet) and I'm open to suggestions.

I liked the playability of the 18g a lot, but durability was somewhat in question (big surprise). Clearly, I don't break strings much (once ever). I don't want to spend a ton on a string, but if there's another brand that I should check out, I'm definitely open to a change.

Gaines Hillix
10-22-2004, 10:23 AM
As far as durability and tension holding at a reasonable price, I recommend the Laserfibre strings. Laser Supreme would fit the bill for you percetly, IMO. It has a crisp feel for a multifibre string, much like the PSGD you have been using and it holds its tension better and longer.

Marc C.
10-22-2004, 01:45 PM
I was playing with a 17g prince duraflex. Six months of hard playing later, I still hadn't broken a string

I used this stuff and it broke literally in 15 minutes of using my ball machine.

RacquetDoctor
10-22-2004, 02:10 PM
If you're looking to change strings, be prepared to open your wallet. There are a host of strings that will play better or different depending on your point of view. In any case, here is some food for thought:

If you are playing regularly, and you get 1 month out of 18 psg, that isn't bad at all...How many hours of playing time are we talking? 10, 15, 20?

If you're playing 5 hours a week and not breaking strings, you should be re-stringing about every 2 - 2 1/2 months/ max. 40-50 max playing time out of a synthetic is my rule of thumb...at 30 hours, if you cut it out and restring, all of my customers notice the difference.

Laserfibre strings would be a significant improvement in playability and tension maintainance over psg. You might want to consider laser tour or...One of my favourites, laser lite xl...awesome double wrap monofilament...all I can say is Explosive!

munckee
10-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Why should I be prepared to open my wallet? I can always stick with the prince if there aren't any worthwhile options at the same or similar price. I'm a student; I can't dump a ton of money strings.

I play somewhere in the realm of 8-15 hours a week. The 18g that I cut out had probably 25 hours on it. I wasn't complaining about the time I got out of the string, but more offering a sense of my playing style to base opinions from.

munckee
10-22-2004, 02:59 PM
I was playing with a 17g prince duraflex. Six months of hard playing later, I still hadn't broken a string

I used this stuff and it broke literally in 15 minutes of using my ball machine.

Clearly I had the opposite experience.

RacquetDoctor
10-22-2004, 05:04 PM
That's my point, munckee. If it 'aint broke, don't fix it. 25 hours is huge on psg 18. If you like the playability, stay with it.
psg is a baseline synthetic...no frills. Around here in Atl, it's $15 to $22 per stick strung, depending on where you go. Some of the better/best playing syn guts will run you up to $28-$32. That also gets you into baseline multi's...Stick a price tag on what your willing to spend. Then you can be helped. If you want to stay in the 3.79 per set range to $5, stay where you are.

munckee
10-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Ok, last time I paid $17 to have my racquet strung including $7 for that particular string. I don't want to pay any more than $12 max for a string. I'm also happy to stay in the $7 range, but I'm willing to spend a little more if it will make a notable difference.

RacquetDoctor
10-23-2004, 11:36 AM
At up to $12/set, you can try almost every thing. From where you are starting, I would try the higher end syn guts. Try Laserfibre Laser Tour(single wrap) and Klip Scorcher(double wrap) monofilaments to start. If you really like psg, you will like both of these...Get them in 17g...

Veritas
10-23-2004, 03:38 PM
I have heard good things about Yonex Tour Super 850.

mrwise
10-25-2004, 06:30 AM
munckee...
I am interested in your Pro Staff 95. Please email me at newballs3rdset@hotmail.com
I would have sent you an email. However you do not have one listed.